What Division III sport should we add a board for next?

Started by Pat Coleman, January 30, 2006, 02:11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are e-sports a sport?

Like chess and football, one practices, competes, gets coaching, follow rules, there is a clear winner...
1 (100%)
To be considered a sport, do you need to sweat during the activity?  If so, why is golf a sport?
1 (100%)
If e-sports are not a sport, what is a close comparison?
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

muchacho

Although there are more programs in soccer, track, and possibly other sports, I do not think those sports draw the following that lacrosse does. As evidenced by the poll results, people who follow lacrosse, really get into it. I know that there would be enough of a following in the two conferences that I follow most, CAC and ODAC, to have a great message board. There would be plenty of trash talk, game analysis, and recruiting talk to keep the boards really active.
One thing to note though is that I already know of one website that does give D3 lacrosse some recognition. Laxpower.com is an all around lacrosse site, that has a forum section with a DII/DIII message board. They get a pretty good amount of traffic during the season, but I don't think their boards are as easy to use as those used for basketball and football here on d3sports.com

mybleedinghands

lacrosse is the fastest growing sport in the country, and has 3rd highest ncaa tournament attendance figures, only trailing basketball and baseball

janesvilleflash

There are 32 votes as this is written. 12 are for LAX. I would guess if the poll were for LAX and ANY single one of the other sports, it would be 20 to 12.
If you can't ignore an insult, top it; if you can't top it, laugh it off; and if you can't laugh it off, it's probably deserved.

fisheralum91

Pat,
First choice is Soccer, but Lax is huge here in upstate NY.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Is it too cost porhibitive to create more than one board, Pat?  I'm not sure what the policy is on moderators, but it seems like if it were just a few child boards, maybe by region or conference, it wouldn't be too tough to add a few more sports.

Soccer is a big deal all over the place; lacrosse is growing, but probably not there yet on a national level.  My choice would be volleyball, although that would be basically a women's board, as most schools don't have a varsity team for me.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

raining3s

Volleyball is an up and coming sport and is covered from east to west....and there are a few men's teams on the east coast....

digs

Not that I am favoring Lacrosse... but it does have an upside in that the WIAC does not field Lacrosse teams (Unless you consider the all the sports at UW La Crosse). 

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Hoops Fan on January 30, 2006, 02:15:53 PM
Is it too cost porhibitive to create more than one board, Pat?  I'm not sure what the policy is on moderators, but it seems like if it were just a few child boards, maybe by region or conference, it wouldn't be too tough to add a few more sports.

It's not too cost-prohibitive, just want to know people's single favorite. That doesn't mean we might not add more than one but I want to see where we should lay our priorities.

David, there's already a d3swimming.com, run by students and recent grads of Kalamazoo. I wouldn't want to detract from that.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Jonny Utah

Lacrosse would be good.  Besides The northeast and midwest, lacrosse is also big in Colorado and California.  I believe only Colorado College and Whitter are the only d3 schools west of the Mississippi to have d3 lax though.

The d3 national championship is also a huge event because it is always played on the same weekend as the d1 national championship on Memorial Day Weekend.  Ive been twice.  Its a huge party and the d3 game usually pulls in 15,000 or so fans.  Great time.

Please don't add soccer though.  Just don't please?

Warren Thompson

Quote from: jonny utah on January 30, 2006, 04:36:05 PM
I believe only Colorado College and Whitter are the only d3 schools west of the Mississippi to have d3 lax though.

Unless you count the D3 club teams in Texas ....

Knightstalker

What about Curling?  The most exciting sport to hit the nation since watching the grass grow.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Warren Thompson on January 30, 2006, 04:41:15 PM
Quote from: jonny utah on January 30, 2006, 04:36:05 PM
I believe only Colorado College and Whitter are the only d3 schools west of the Mississippi to have d3 lax though.

Unless you count the D3 club teams in Texas ....

Yea I just mentioned the d3 official teams. The club lax circuit is huge and I believe every major d1 and d3 school in America have these club teams.  Theres about 160 of them that all play for a club national championship (USL-MDIA and B)

AJ

Soccer already has forum at d3soccer.net but it is more regionally focused board with most posts coming from the mid atlantic region.  I think a forum for soccer would be quite a hit on this site, and the posting would be on a larger national scale.

David Collinge

Quote from: Pat Coleman on January 30, 2006, 04:18:22 PM
David, there's already a d3swimming.com, run by students and recent grads of Kalamazoo. I wouldn't want to detract from that.

Well, shut my mouth!  :D You're not kidding, either.  I never would have guessed.  Time for a new bookmark!  :)

sixer

I would vote soccer....especially with the World Cup coming up this summer, it's likely to spur some additional interest.