What Division III sport should we add a board for next?

Started by Pat Coleman, January 30, 2006, 02:11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are e-sports a sport?

Like chess and football, one practices, competes, gets coaching, follow rules, there is a clear winner...
1 (100%)
To be considered a sport, do you need to sweat during the activity?  If so, why is golf a sport?
1 (100%)
If e-sports are not a sport, what is a close comparison?
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

sunny

Lacrosse.

If you build it, they will come.  There is a well-established and respectable group of posters on the forums over at Laxpower that would welcome another place to express opinions, etc.  I know of a few who already frequent both these boards (for football and basketball) and laxpower. 

The lacrosse community is probably the most vertical community in college sports.  That is to say, a real college lacrosse fan knows as much about Salisbury or Middlebury as they do Maryland or Syracuse.  There is a general respect across divisions which doesn't exist nearly as much in the other sports being discussed - in large part due to the great lacrosse traditions established at many Division III schools, some of whom used to play against "the big boys" before the NCAA sponsored the sport.

There are other discussion boards for lacrosse, but laxpower is the only current one with ANY sort of real moderation and organization. (I'm looking at you Inside Lacrosse and Lax.com!)  I think a lot of the regulars over there (and a good deal of newbies) would appreciate the features of this board.

After lacrosse, from a purely national level, track, softball, soccer, and volleyball make the most sense.  I just don't think there would be as much hardcore interest in the Division III levels of those sports. 

sunny

I'd also like to add that I think the lacrosse folks would definitely appreciate the General Division III news covered on the D3sports.com family (conference realignments, schools reclassifying, etc.) as a lot of that stuff flies under the news radar of the lax web sites.

When the "Interstate 8" formed, it was someone mentioning the story from this site who broke the news on the Laxpower.com boards.

Techfan

I think tennis would be a good candidate for a d3 board. It is one of the only sports played during multiple seasons and events such as the national singles and doubles championships in the fall and the indoor nationals in the winter allow top players and teams from different regions to compete before nationals at the end of the year.

sunny

Quote from: Techfan on January 30, 2006, 06:34:32 PM
I think tennis would be a good candidate for a d3 board. It is one of the only sports played during multiple seasons and events such as the national singles and doubles championships in the fall and the indoor nationals in the winter allow top players and teams from different regions to compete before nationals at the end of the year.

Also not a bad idea from a national coverage and year-round standpoint.

Art_Vandelay

Since baseball has already been added - I think it is only fair and natural to add softball. At some schools, softball is much more popular than baseball. As a former baseball player and current softball coach, I think that it is the fairest route to go.

Pat Coleman

I would say it's not an automatic that any complementary sport has to be added. If the current ratio of women's basketball posts to men's basketball posts would be applied to softball/baseball, there wouldn't be enough softball traffic to justify the work.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

d3bballinboston

Since I played men's Volleyball in college i'd say vollleyball, but there is already a very good message board for volleyball.... http://volleytalk.proboards35.com/

very very active all year long.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: David Collinge on January 30, 2006, 01:02:13 PM
On behalf of the NCAC, I cast my vote for men's and women's swimming.  Swimming is a popular and widespread sport.  I realize that if you don't follow an NCAC team, you have no hope of cheering on a national championship team, but you can always dream... ::) :D

You're not fooling anyone, David. You just want people to post pictures of Kenyon women's swimmers.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

David Collinge

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 31, 2006, 07:03:59 PM
Quote from: David Collinge on January 30, 2006, 01:02:13 PM
On behalf of the NCAC, I cast my vote for men's and women's swimming.  Swimming is a popular and widespread sport.  I realize that if you don't follow an NCAC team, you have no hope of cheering on a national championship team, but you can always dream... ::) :D

You're not fooling anyone, David. You just want people to post pictures of Kenyon women's swimmers.

I must admit that my interest is aroused by a woman whose shoulders are broader than mine... ;)

njlincolnlion

Hold fast to dreams,
For if dreams die,
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.

Langston Hughes, '29      
Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall, '30

17 NCAA DIII Championships

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

hasanova

As a former college soccer player, I think our readers would get a kick out of a board of their own.  Ah, the beautiful game!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

It would also give us a place to discuss our premiership arguments and get them off the "today's best game" board
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

BVHawk

I wouldn't mind seeing Track&Field on here.  Being able to compare times between different conferences and see how your team rates with others would be interesting.
To succeed, one must be creative and persistent.  John H. Johnson

Ralph Turner

Quote from: BVHawk on February 01, 2006, 06:32:28 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Track&Field on here.  Being able to compare times between different conferences and see how your team rates with others would be interesting.

I agree BVHawk.  The best Track And Field site that I have found is www.raceberryjam.com .

It has all of the basic stuff that we need and  (IMHO) Pat would not need to duplicate those features.  This is the best message board in the D3 community, (and all of us D3 fans seem to agree.)  Since all qualifiication is by times and distances, you don't have that Conference talk.  However, the build-up to nationals and the talk about how deep they will dip into the provisionals, plus the "form sheet" and predicting who gets the most points out of their qualifiers is something we track fans would enjoy.

As I stated previously, having  these 4 sports  (2 men's/2 women's/2 winter/2 spring), gives a bigger symbolic coverage.   That would give Football in the Fall/ Men's and Women's Hoops and Indoor Track and Field in the Winter, and Baseball and Men's and Women's Outdoor Track & Field in the Spring.

If it keeps traffic coming to the boards and makes them more profitable, then great!

Oh by the way, McMurry picked up a middle distance runner transfer from SMU, Staci Jackson.  She has already qualified provisionally in the 400M.