What Division III sport should we add a board for next?

Started by Pat Coleman, January 30, 2006, 02:11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are e-sports a sport?

Like chess and football, one practices, competes, gets coaching, follow rules, there is a clear winner...
1 (100%)
To be considered a sport, do you need to sweat during the activity?  If so, why is golf a sport?
1 (100%)
If e-sports are not a sport, what is a close comparison?
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

LCasid

also, FH, SB, and VB don't have a website devoted exclusively to D3FH, D3SB, or D3VB like wrestling has with d3wrestle.com. All the sports out of the traditional top 3 (football, basketball, baseball) that you have added on here have a competing website - D3kicks, laxpower, whatever the track websites are - and doesn't look like they been particularly successful in generating much discussion.

Track/cross country has generated less than 2000 posts in over 2 years, which comes out to an average of less than 2 posts a day. Lacrosse has generated 474 posts - with 421 coming from one single conference - in over 2 years, not even an average of one post a day. Women's soccer has drawn 526 posts in a little less than two years. Men's soccer has generated 2573 posts - with with 86% of them from just two regions - in just over 2 years for an average of about 3.5 posts a day.

If you want to generate discussion, then creating a board for a sport that already has a competing website looks like to me that it hasn't been a particularly successful formula (unless you consider less than one and up to 3.5 posts a day successful at creating much discussion). The D3 wrestling website already gets very, very little discussion on it's forums as it is, so that either indicates there is a very small market for discussion of D3 wrestling or that their model has failed.

Pat Coleman

I think you've wasted a large amount of time arguing against something I really don't have any intent of doing.

BTW, feel free to visit D3soccer.com.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

LCasid

Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 16, 2008, 01:00:09 AM
I think you've wasted a large amount of time arguing against something I really don't have any intent of doing.

I've already been there, but I don't spend any time on there now since it wasn't created until the season was virtually over...

LCasid

Quote from: LCasid on May 16, 2008, 01:03:10 AM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 16, 2008, 01:00:09 AM

I've already been there, but I don't spend any time on there now since it wasn't created until the season was virtually over...

By the way, the links for the regions don't work, I click on all of them and they don't take me anywhere.

Pat Coleman

Site is still being built. That's why we haven't done any big rollout on it yet. Thanks, though.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Pat Coleman

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Pat Coleman on January 31, 2007, 02:02:45 PM
If we added a board for volleyball, do you think the AVCA would promote it? Would D-III volleyball fans find out about it?

That's one of the factors I consider when looking at this stuff. I'm not sure we have a lot of fans already coming here who would cross over to volleyball. I wouldn't want volleyball boards to end up like women's lacrosse.

Recently the AVCA came to us looking for suggestions on how to start a D-III volleyball news site, in the style of our other news sites. I gave them some thoughts on that and also suggested a message board would be worthwhile, if they would support it.

They came back and said they were interested, so I started one.

http://www.d3boards.com/volleyball