BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by RedmenFB44, January 05, 2006, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duckfan41

Quote from: BigPoppa on February 14, 2018, 01:29:47 PM
Quote from: lmitzel on February 14, 2018, 11:51:45 AM
Coaches' poll is out. North Central is your favorite with 6 first place votes and 58 total points. Wheaton is second with 2 first place votes and 54 points. Illinois Wesleyan is third with 52 points, Augie fourth with 46 and the remaining first place vote.

I think Carthage may surprise some people this year.

2018 Preseason Baseball Coaches' Poll
Rank    Institution    Points (1st Pl. Votes)
1    North Central    58 (6)
2    Wheaton    54 (2)
3    Illinois Wesleyan    52
4    Augustana    46 (1)
5    Carthage    36
6    Millikin    30
7    Elmhurst    18
8    North Park    17
9    Carroll    13

In fairness, it's been fairly surprising to me, and probably many others that Carthage has not performed the last two seasons. Knowing how great of a coach Augie is, and the long term pedigree that comes with Carthage Baseball, I expect them to be in the hunt year in and year out. Graduating 19 (!) seniors is surely significant. I always enjoy seeing Carthage play, especially recently since Wheaton has had their number the last two seasons.  ;D

BigPoppa

Carthage has always been built on young arms producing as they mature and sometimes they miss... in the past, they have been able to overcome that by handing the ball to even younger guys who scrapped and clawed their way to wins. But when back-to-back classes miss, it leaves a whole that is hard to fill. That's when you look to Juco kids and D1/D2 kickback transfers.

I can't see Carthage missing again this season.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Gregory Sager

North Park's season opener was rained out in Mississippi today. The VIkings will instead take on Millsaps tomorrow morning and Huntingdon in the early afternoon, before finishing up with Belhaven on Monday. Sure is nice to have a three-day weekend to use for a Deep South trip.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

mr_b

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 17, 2018, 10:42:16 PM
North Park's season opener was rained out in Mississippi today. The VIkings will instead take on Millsaps tomorrow morning and Huntingdon in the early afternoon, before finishing up with Belhaven on Monday. Sure is nice to have a three-day weekend to use for a Deep South trip.
... except it's not a three-day weekend for North Parkers.  We have class tomorrow.

Gregory Sager

Whoops! I guess that the guys will be missing some classes, then.

It wasn't an auspicious debut for NPU. The Vikings lost the opener to Millsaps, 7-6. Matt Pizur only gave up one run over six innings of work, but the bullpen couldn't hold onto the 4-1 lead to which they'd been staked. Seth Dvorak and Cullen Gilbertson homered for the Vikings.  The second game was ugly, as NPU lost 13-1 to Huntingdon in a game that went the full nine innings, as the Hawks had their way with all four NPU pitchers that they faced. The Vikings did get nine hits and seven walks in the game; it's frustrating to see that, with all of that traffic on the bases, they only managed to score one run.

It was the sixth game for Millsaps this season, and the fifth for Huntingdon.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

BigPoppa

Millikin is off to a hot offensive start going 4-0 over the weekend and scoring run totals of 6, 12, 16 and 17 vs Ozarks and Hendrix.

Is this the year the Big Blue makes a move in the CCIW?

Ralph Turner

Quote from: BigPoppa on February 21, 2018, 10:48:04 AM
Millikin is off to a hot offensive start going 4-0 over the weekend and scoring run totals of 6, 12, 16 and 17 vs Ozarks and Hendrix.

Respectfully, Ozarks is supposed to finish in the bottom half of the ASC. I am not impressed with the wins over UofOz.

BigPoppa

Quote from: Ralph Turner on February 21, 2018, 12:20:35 PM
Quote from: BigPoppa on February 21, 2018, 10:48:04 AM

Respectfully, Ozarks is supposed to finish in the bottom half of the ASC. I am not impressed with the wins over UofOz.

I assumed that Ozarks was down this season (as in most seasons). Still, Millikin has to be happy with their start. Hendrix seems a better match for Millikin, but the Big Blue piled up runs there as well.

lmitzel

Good early start for North Central. Behind 5-1 in the middle of the 7th on Saturday against MacMurray, the Cardinals put up a three spot in their half of the 7th and four more in the 8th to win their opener 8-5. They followed that up by jumping out to a 5-0 lead after one and 12-3 after four, hanging on to beat the Highlanders again 12-8. Mike Wisz homered twice in yesterday's win for the Cardinals.
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

BigPoppa

Early prediction as the Redmen head to Arizona for the week.... Carthage will return 7-2. This week should give us a look at the revamped Carthage pitching staff and give us an idea of what they did in the off-season to shore up some of those holes that plagued them last year.

Gregory Sager

The Vikings play their earliest-ever home opener today at Holmgren, squaring off against Dominican at 3 pm. I'll be on the call, as per usual.

The weather is cooperating, as we're looking at an unseasonably-warm high of 58 degrees this afternoon and there's no prediction of rain. Still, this is going to feel very weird; NPU baseball historian Mr. B says that, as far as he can tell, North Park has never held a home opener earlier than St. Patrick's Day before.

BigPoppa

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 28, 2018, 10:55:59 AM
The Vikings play their earliest-ever home opener today at Holmgren, squaring off against Dominican at 3 pm. I'll be on the call, as per usual.

The weather is cooperating, as we're looking at an unseasonably-warm high of 58 degrees this afternoon and there's no prediction of rain. Still, this is going to feel very weird; NPU baseball historian Mr. B says that, as far as he can tell, North Park has never held a home opener earlier than St. Patrick's Day before.

Jealous... still 2 ft of snow on the ground in the Twin Cities.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: BigPoppa on February 28, 2018, 11:13:52 AM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 28, 2018, 10:55:59 AM

Jealous... still 2 ft of snow on the ground in the Twin Cities.

your jealous.  Finally starting to dig out from our last storm with more on the way. 

BigPoppa

Anyone have live stats for Carthage vs Gustavus Adolphus today??? Neither school is providing them... and I am dying to see how the Redmen are out of the gates today. Assuming they'll throw D1 transfer (Gonzaga), Nathan Odahl, who they are VERY high on from his indoor work after arriving on campus in January. I'd love to know how it's going today.

BigPoppa

Redmen split with Gustavus, get shellacked by D2 Northern State and outslug Rockford.... Move to 2-2 on the season.... An off day today followed by 5 games in 4 days. Let's see what they are made of right here.
Will Tibor and Odahl bounce back for Weds/Thur or will they need more time?