All Americans

Started by Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan), March 01, 2006, 10:01:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sac

I would certainly think if Trevor Manuel at Olivet lives up to his hype he'll be in a position to be named All-American at years end.  His PG Tracy Edmond is pretty darn good too.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: sac on October 24, 2018, 08:50:57 PM
I would certainly think if Trevor Manuel at Olivet lives up to his hype he'll be in a position to be named All-American at years end.  His PG Tracy Edmond is pretty darn good too.

Yeah, I think Olivet could be a sleeper and give Hope a run for it's money in the MIAA. They have a killer nc schedule though. Of course, I named Manuel in the AA pool too.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

sac

I'm not really sure the defending co-champion of any league can be considered a "sleeper" ;)

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: sac on October 24, 2018, 10:21:56 PM
I'm not really sure the defending co-champion of any league can be considered a "sleeper" ;)

It is when the other co-champ receives 76 votes in the preseason poll and the sleeper doesn't get any.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

magicman

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on October 24, 2018, 10:26:48 PM
Quote from: sac on October 24, 2018, 10:21:56 PM

It is when the other co-champ receives 76 votes in the preseason poll and the sleeper doesn't get any.

Good point!  ;D

Titan Q

Current offensive numbers for the guards on the D3hoops.com preseason All-American team.  I was surprised IWU's Brady Rose wasn't on the preseason team.  It seems to me he belongs on the final All-American squad.

* Brady Rose (Illinois Wesleyan): 21.6 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 3.8 apg, .477 FG, .423 3-point, .877 FT

First team
* Kyle Roach (Whitworth): 17.6 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 3.9 apg, .547 FG, .351 3-point, .770 FT
* Joey Hewitt (Whitman): 15.3 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 2.1 apg, .455 FG, .376 3-point, .860 FT
* Jake Ross (Springfield): 23.8 ppg, 8.1 rpg, 3.7 apg, .433 FG, .300 3-point, .872 FT

Second team
* Aston Francis (Wheaton): 31.6 ppg, 7.7 rpg, 3.4 apg, .425 FG, .374 3-point, .875 FT
* Robert Duax (UW-Platteville): 17.9 ppg, 3.8 ppg, 1.8 apg, .468 FG, .378 3-point, .817 FT
* Cam Fails (Hanover): 22.1 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 4.1 apg, .466 FG, .431 3-point, .806 FT

Third team
* Nolan Ebel (Augustana): 16.4 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 3.2 apg, .500 FG, .443 3-point, .851 FT
* Nate Schimonitz (Nebraska Wesleyan): 18.0 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 4.5 apg, .540 FG, .432 3-point, .563 FT
* Bradley Jomard (MIT): 19.1 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 6.2 apg, .560 FG, .365 3-point, .764 FT

Fourth team
* Marcos Echevarria (Nichols): 19.5 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 4.2 apg, .431 FG, .363 3-point, .806 FT
* Jason Beckman (Hope): 19.2 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 5.4 apg, .439 FG, .351 3-point, .890 FT
* Austin Butler (Whitman): 10.4 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 4.3 apg, .611 FG, 3-point n/a, .544 FT (should be a Forward?)

Honorable mention
* Ben Boots (UW-Oshkosh): 15.6 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 4.3 apg, .440 FG, .398 3-point, .896 FT
* Nate West (LeTourneau): 23.3 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 4.4 apg, .429 FG, .379 3-point, .860 FT
* Anthony Mosley Jr (Illinois Tech): 16.7 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 4.5 rpg, .503 FG, .372 3-point, .743 FT
* Josh Ruggles (Loras): 17.7 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 3.4 apg, .466 FG. .385 3-point, .922 FT

https://www.d3hoops.com/awards/all-americans/men/preseason-2019

Titan Q

I don't think there is any drama about the national Player of the Year.  Send the award to Aston Francis now.

Smitty Oom

Really was hoping you guys on the happy hour would go more in depth on POY for each region. Still really enjoyed the All American talk. I can understand why you don't talk as much about players on the hoopsville shows but I do enjoy it.

Titan Q

Quote from: Smitty Oom on February 03, 2019, 11:45:30 AM
Really was hoping you guys on the happy hour would go more in depth on POY for each region. Still really enjoyed the All American talk. I can understand why you don't talk as much about players on the hoopsville shows but I do enjoy it.

I would like to continue that convo.  For me that was a really hard one to do on the fly.  There are so many great players - I want to do more prep (like above) and do that one the right way.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

My as-yet-unresearched early estimation of POY candidates for each region:

Northeast: Ty Nichols, Keene
East: Kevin Dennis, Morrisville
Atlantic: Gabe Leifer, Yeshiva
Mid-Atlantic: Zac O'Dell, Swarthmore
South: Nate West, Letourneau
Great Lakes: Ryan Bruns, ONU
Central: Aston Francis, Wheaton
West: Booker Coplin, Augsburg

There are a lot of other contenders, of course, and maybe guys that don't come to mind right off the bat, but it's a list to start with to debate, if you so desire.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

D3ball1845

Quote from: Titan Q on February 03, 2019, 12:02:45 PM
Quote from: Smitty Oom on February 03, 2019, 11:45:30 AM

I would like to continue that convo.  For me that was a really hard one to do on the fly.  There are so many great players - I want to do more prep (like above) and do that one the right way.

It's great to see where the preseason All-American predictions are at statistically this point in the season. I think there are definitely more than a few that will not be no longer be on that list when it comes time for All-American selections. Titan Q, I know you stated that you wanted to continue and expand upon the All-American conversation. I'm a very close follower of the CCC out in the Northeast that features teams such as Nichols, Gordon, Endicott, and Roger Williams University (RWU). I have two players besides Marcos Echevarria, who was predicted as a 4th team All-American, that I think should be considered in the All-American selection discussion.

1. Austin Coene (Sr., RWU): 26.0 ppg, 9.0 rpg, 4.5 apg, 1.9 spg, .520 FG, .338 3-point, .737 FT

Coene is now the all-time leading scorer at RWU and just surpassed the 2,000 career points milestone yesterday in RWUs loss against Gordon. I understand that he plays on a team that has not really received any regional or national attention this year. They currently sit at 11-10 (8-4) and are 4th in the CCC standings. They have a win against Endicott and close losses to Gordon and Nichols this year. What I'm trying to say is that they can play with and even beat these teams that have all received Top 25 votes in the 2018-2019 season. Besides that, Coene's stats are off the chart good and I'm not sure there are more than one or two players in all of Division III basketball who can match or surpass his stat line across the board this year.

2. Garrison Duvivier (Sr., Gordon): 17.3 ppg, 12.5 rpg, 3.3 apg, 1.3 spg, 2.3 bpg, .483 FG, .250 3-point, .649 FT

Duvivier is a big presence down low and is a double double machine on a Gordon team that has really turned some heads this year and has garnered some national level recognition. His team currently sits at 19-2 (11-1) and are tied for 1st in the CCC standings with Nichols. They have already defeated Nichols once earlier this year. He is really the most dominant big man in the CCC and he has an outstanding stat line on maybe the best team in the CCC that will likely received an NCAA Tournament selection this season.

Smitty Oom

I’ll probably be doing some research too and provide my input as well. I like your list Ryan. Some of those players are probably a surprise to those that follow just the top 25 teams but very deserving.

Like Bob said tho, congrats to Aston Francis on national POY. Well deserved.

B-ball, the CCC is a fun league. A lot of very deserving players statistically. I really like Coene last year in the fantasy leagues. I would be shocked if those guys didn’t make their way on to the all region teams at the very least.

D3ball1845

I haven't really expanded my DIII Basketball knowledge beyond the Northeast region so I'm sure there are plenty of players who have stat lines that are All-American worthy. I'm not aware of how much those who pick the All-Americans take into account stats along with success of the team when making selections. For instance, we can compare stats of Aston Francis, Jake Ross, and Austin Coene, the former of the two who were both preseason All-American selections, 2nd and 1st team, respectively.

1. Aston Francis (Wheaton, CCIW, 16-6 (9-4), SOS, .557): 31.6 ppg, 7.7 rpg, 3.4 apg, 1.1 spg, .425 FG, .374 3-point, .875 FT
2. Jake Ross (Springfield, NEWMAC, 7-14 (4-6), SOS, .587): 23.8 ppg, 8.1 rpg, 3.7 apg, 1.7 spg, .433 FG, .300 3-point, .872 FT
3. Austin Coene (RWU, CCC, 11-10 (8-4), SOS, .509): 26.0 ppg, 9.0 rpg, 4.5 apg, 1.9 spg, .520 FG, .338 3-point, .737 FT

Collectively, I've looked at the stats, team record, and the conference the respective team plays in.  I would rank these 3 players for All-American consideration in this order: 1. Aston Francis, 2. Austin Coene, 3. Jake Ross. I think Francis and Coene are very close when you assess just statistics, with Francis scoring 5.6 ppg more and a 14% better FT shooter, while Coene has a 1.3 rpg, 1.1 apg, 1 spg, and almost 10% higher FG percentage advantage; I'd almost have to give Coene the edge after stating this. However, Francis clearly plays in a more elite conference in the CCIW and his team has a much better overall record. To me, Ross is a clear 3rd choice out of the players. Statistically, he is below Francis and Coene in almost every category. Additionally, his team has struggled mightily after making a run to the Final 4 in the NCAA Tournament last year. I understand he likely plays in the best conference out of the 3 players but you cannot look past the overall 7-14 record. Of note, RWU and Springfield played in a preseason scrimmage this year, and I guess Coene and Ross were going at each other throughout the entire game. Would have loved to see that game in person. Overall, I'm guessing that Francis will be a 1st Team All-American Selection, if not the POY. Then, Coene and Ross will likely more be hovering around the 3rd Team-Honorable Mention consideration, if that.

Titan Q

Quote from: D3ball1845 on February 03, 2019, 04:00:06 PM
I'm not aware of how much those who pick the All-Americans take into account stats along with success of the team when making selections.

It's a good question...and I am not sure how Pat & Co. do it (whether they factor in team results or not).

I'd tend to think that for an All-American team you'd just look at individual performance.  But seems the preseason All-American team was influenced, to some degree, by team stuff.  So, not sure really.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: D3ball1845 on February 03, 2019, 04:00:06 PMTo me, Ross is a clear 3rd choice out of the players. Statistically, he is below Francis and Coene in almost every category. Additionally, his team has struggled mightily after making a run to the Final 4 in the NCAA Tournament last year. I understand he likely plays in the best conference out of the 3 players but you cannot look past the overall 7-14 record.

In terms of overall quality, the NEWMAC is not a better conference than the CCIW.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell