MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMike33

Amh 63,

Weston is the neighboring town to Easton. Easton combines with Redding to populate Joel Barlow High School. Barlow & Weston are BITTER rivals.  Blackouts, whiteouts.  Painted backs that said Wuck Feston, Cops had to remove that group. 
Weston has 3 cop cars, Easton has 6.

Folger hit a baseline jumper in overtime to cap a 37 & 20, for victory senior year over Barlow
Forsythe went for 40+ his Senior year against Barlow. Both were motivated.

Forsythe ended up in cast for wrist to start senior year cuz some old man took exception to Hamilton dunking on him in a pick-up game at YMCA and took him out on subsequent dunk attempt

Weston is Weston High School.  Matt Folger PG'd a year at Williston to mature & have a good coach for once. He just turned 20.

Hamilton has more academic focused goals & is a genius so graduated Weston & went right to MIT.

The foul trouble comment dates to high school years for Forsythe. Could be a new area of growth.

I have lived in both Weston & Easton.  Organic farms, Easton Firemans Carnival is still great....tell your wife.

BigMike33

Old Guy,

I see is it as early season fatigue for Jack Daly that is mental & physical. He plays most minutes and again your astute point, he plays the other team's best player on defense. His minutes are HARD MINUTES, ESPECIALLY MENTALLY.
He is responsible for offensive flow, being a defensive stopper, being a weak side rebounder, & the game closer offensively in tight games

His rebounding numbers will be up this year because if you have noticed this is part of Coach Brown's strategy when Folger plays 3.
Folger does not try to defensive rebound in this line-up, he is releasing for touchdown passes from Daly.
Folger beat a distracted big last night for a layup in such a manor, although it was more a 10 yard slant then a bomb.

This also looks like a page from Williams' book.
Aronowitz was GREAT weak side defensive rebounder except he would push with his guard skills rather than pass to released teammmate
Scadlock will pickup this years' weak side rebounding. 
Scadlock needs to focus on that becuase while Williams has size, their bigs are not prolific rebounders.
This was most underrated part of Aronowitz's game which made his such a glue guy for Williams.

Leadership parallels between Aronowitz and Daly abound.
I submit that Daly was quiet leader last year, the glue, even with the ball in Brown's hands and all the shots for St. Amour

BigMike33

Tufts had trouble with MIT's size.  Reference my analysis of Tufts. Tufts did not shoot well from 3, which is one way to counter bigs.
But with two players missing, who are not Bigs per se but could allow Tufts to change tempo to a push on makes speed, which would then stress the MIT Big's in a faster paced game      This is why these pre-season predictions become distant non memories for us all.

January 1 should be where one looks to call NESCAC finish, after the early non-conference play.  Picks become clearer based upon early season injuries, players returning from injury which shortened previous season, recruits, last year's role players as starters, the overall level of play regionally, nationally, and how teams mesh together & play for one another

BigMike33

Tyler Rowe...great competitor.  AAU teammate of Middlebury's Matt Folger.

I am always sad at these transfers for kids like Tyler.  Tyler is NESCAC quality player.  Financial or Academic issue.......tough world we live in.

PolarBear16

My only chance to get to a Bowdoin game this year was last night, and so I went up for the game. As Polbear73 said, it was a bit of a joke as UNE employed an offensive strategy of shooting threes as early in the shot clock as possible. Their defensive strategy was to allow Bowdoin as many wide open layups and threes as possible. I'm not a college coach, but it seemed a little bold. Bowdoin SID, Jim Caton, has put up a short highlight video of the game which concentrates in large part on some of Jack Bors' nice assists. Unfortunately, left off the highlight tape was a nice jam from Zavier Rucker at the end of the game which showcased what he can do. I'm biased, but I think Jim is one of the best SIDs around and an awesome guy on top of that.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=0rCxSfGZJEI

Four observations
1. Tim Ahn is gone for good from the team (still at Bowdoin of course). While his loss hurts, point guard is probably the one position where the Polar Bears could afford it. Bors looks really good as the main guy, and Steven Ferraro is another tough nosed guy. I applaud Coach Gilbride for recruiting those tough Jersey guards, Bors and Ferraro.

2. Freshman Sam Grad is listed as a guard for whatever reason, but he is very much a center. UNE had no size, and Grad used great composure around the rim to finish almost every one of his shots. He finished 10-11 for 24 points in just 15 minutes. Between him and Hugh O'Neill, Bowdoin might be behind just Williams in terms of caliber of their centers. Having Grad will allow O'Neill to play his default 100 MPH style and not have to worry about fouls because Grad is more than capable of coming in and holding down the fort.

3. Bowdoin is fully capable on offense. What worries me going forward is how good the defense can be. There is no real perimeter stopper, though Bors certainly does battle out there and draws more than his fair share of charges. Zavier Rucker will probably be that guy who gets the best perimeter offensive player as the year goes on. I can't really say how good he is defensively from this one game, but it's something to keep an eye on.

4. It was cool at the end of the game to see big 6'11 freshman Andy Ward get in and score a basket. He is certainly a work in progress, and I don't think until his junior year can be counted on for too much. He did hit two free throws with a very good looking stroke for a big man so that is encouraging. I will say that while he is a large human being, he still isn't as big as John Swords is.

Bowdoin might still be a year away from making real noise, but given that almost all of their big contributors are still underclassmen, that's alright. I feel confident they are clearly better than Bates, Colby, and Conn College and I would be disappointed if the team didn't return to the NESCAC playoffs. Last note, it was fun to go back and watch a game in a NESCAC gym. I restrained myself from calling anyone on the other team a scrub, but I really really wanted to just for old times sake.

amh63

Saw...no. peeked in on a bunch of Nescac games yesterday.  Just a few comments....on poster's comments mainly.
First, BigMike33....thanks for your posts. plus K   My wife was in the first graduating class at Barlow...first year at Staples HS. Will relate comment to her.
J'Mac of Amherst may have had some "mental fatigue" too, but in third game, he was scoring well again and as always guarding the offensive star of the other team.  Coach Hixon had both Tim and Johnny on the floor together in the early games.
The ten point difference between MIT and Tufts at the end the game was also the difference at half time.
Went to the Bowdoin game because I enjoy the announcer, especially when he shouts out "bang" when a Bowdoin shot goes in.  Is he still there?
Did not hear him during the brief times I peeked at the game.  120 points by Bowdoin.!  Sure will improve some averages.  96 points by opponent!
Would think the "Grinnell System" found its way to Maine :).
Happy Thanksgiving to All.  We have been giving a pardon to our turkey for so long, he? has died a natural death.

FanOfNescac

Quote from: BigMike33 on November 22, 2017, 10:26:06 AM
Old Guy,

I see is it as early season fatigue for Jack Daly that is mental & physical. He plays most minutes and again your astute point, he plays the other team's best player on defense. His minutes are HARD MINUTES, ESPECIALLY MENTALLY.
He is responsible for offensive flow, being a defensive stopper, being a weak side rebounder, & the game closer offensively in tight games

His rebounding numbers will be up this year because if you have noticed this is part of Coach Brown's strategy when Folger plays 3.
Folger does not try to defensive rebound in this line-up, he is releasing for touchdown passes from Daly.
Folger beat a distracted big last night for a layup in such a manor, although it was more a 10 yard slant then a bomb.

This also looks like a page from Williams' book.
Aronowitz was GREAT weak side defensive rebounder except he would push with his guard skills rather than pass to released teammmate
Scadlock will pickup this years' weak side rebounding. 
Scadlock needs to focus on that becuase while Williams has size, their bigs are not prolific rebounders.
This was most underrated part of Aronowitz's game which made his such a glue guy for Williams.

I submit that Daly was quiet leader last year, the glue, even with the ball in Brown's hands and all the shots for St. Amour

This is correct about Aronowitz. He was a serious player.

P'bearfan

Quote from: polbear73 on November 22, 2017, 05:34:00 AM
It was a circus in Brunswick as Bowdoin, withstanding 72 three point attempts by the University of New England scored 120 points to win by 27. Even more amazing was that Jack Simonds only had 6 points as Bowdoin was led by rookie 6'7" forward Sam Grad with 24. UNE employs a hockey line system of substitution and pressed the whole game, allowing the Polar Bears many 2 on 1 opportunities after breaking the press. It was playground basketball and not sure what the takeaways are, other than Bowdoin may be more athletic than originally thought. Big game on Sunday with Babson coming to Morrell Gym.

Heard about the game after a couple of flights out west yesterday.  Really wish I had been able to watch this one. Was shocked Simond's only had 6 points but perhaps this gives other players some offensive confidence.  Suspect the Batson game will be very different.

BigMike33

Fan of NESCAC,

You just know intuitively that Aronowitz had something to say on that 'long' bus ride back from Hamilton last year.

True leader, so many intangibles too.

Old Guy

Leadership is a crucial, yet elusive concept. You can't fabricate or fake it. It is both inherent and learned. When Jeff Brown is asked about the dramatic turnaround from this first few years at Middlebury to the great success of the last decade, I've heard him answer "culture," also an ambiguous term. He talks about two players, Mike Walsh '08 and Andrew Harris '08, one a visible, voluble leader and the other a quiet lead-by-example leader, who together exhibited an extraordinary commitment to the team and teammates and success as a program. They developed a team dynamic that demanded maximum effort and team unity, or you heard from them. They gave personal and immediate credibility to coaching pronouncements.

Those of us involved with team sports talk a lot about "senior" leadership and its importance. Some of it is merely lip service. But when you see it truly in action, you realize its importance can't be exaggerated. When the older, returning guys ("seniors") establish a pattern of hard work and sacrifice, it's contagious, and the new guys are provided a model of a successful team experience. The older guys represent to the younger guys "This is the way we do it here," and it goes from there, as players come and go. For me, one of the most enjoyable parts of Middlebury's success in the last decade or so (I've come to games over four decades, win or lose) is to see this leadership dynamic at work.

FanOfNescac

Quote from: Old Guy on November 22, 2017, 09:16:42 PM

Leadership is a crucial, yet elusive concept. You can't fabricate or fake it. It is both inherent and learned. When Jeff Brown is asked about the dramatic turnaround from this first few years at Middlebury to the great success of the last decade, I've heard him answer "culture," also an ambiguous term. He talks about two players, Mike Walsh '08 and Andrew Harris '08, one a visible, voluble leader and the other a quiet lead-by-example leader, who together exhibited an extraordinary commitment to the team and teammates and success as a program. They developed a team dynamic that demanded maximum effort and team unity, or you heard from them. They gave personal and immediate credibility to coaching pronouncements.

Those of us involved with team sports talk a lot about "senior" leadership and its importance. Some of it is merely lip service. But when you see it truly in action, you realize its importance can't be exaggerated. When the older, returning guys ("seniors") establish a pattern of hard work and sacrifice, it's contagious, and the new guys are provided a model of a successful team experience. The older guys represent to the younger guys "This is the way we do it here," and it goes from there, as players come and go. For me, one of the most enjoyable parts of Middlebury's success in the last decade or so (I've come to games over four decades, win or lose) is to see this leadership dynamic at work.

I played basketball (poorly) at a NESCAC school and was fortunate to play alongside one of that school's best players of his generation. He was a point guard... fearless, tenacious and tireless on both ends of the floor. He played right up to the edge of getting in a tussle every game, but never did. His mere presence on the floor, not only in games but every day in practice, caused every other player on the team to turn up his own intensity, just to match up. This guy changed my entire view of the sport, forever. We have all seen many others in NESCAC with this type of effect, like Daly and Aronowitz. Aaron Toomey was that kind of player; I submit that his passion was at least as valuable as his many, many skills. I agree with Old Guy that it's difficult thing to quantify, but you know it when you see it.

Pat Coleman

It was a circus in Brunswick as Bowdoin, withstanding 72 three point attempts by the University of New England scored 120 points to win by 27. Even more amazing was that Jack Simonds only had 6 points as Bowdoin was led by rookie 6'7" forward Sam Grad with 24. UNE employs a hockey line system of substitution and pressed the whole game, allowing the Polar Bears many 2 on 1 opportunities after breaking the press. It was playground basketball and not sure what the takeaways are, other than Bowdoin may be more athletic than originally thought. Big game on Sunday with Babson coming to Morrell Gym.

So basically what you're saying is, UNE is running the Grinnell System, yes? There's lots of stuff to read about that if you're interested. Here's our most recent Around the Nation on the System:
http://www.d3hoops.com/columns/around-the-nation/2016-17/system-here-to-stay
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 23, 2017, 11:48:30 AM

So basically what you're saying is, UNE is running the Grinnell System, yes? There's lots of stuff to read about that if you're interested. Here's our most recent Around the Nation on the System:

UNE's been running an up-tempo, pressing, three-heavy offense for a while.  I think a lot of schools are moving to something that looks a little more like what the Houston Rockets are doing.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on November 24, 2017, 09:49:55 AM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 23, 2017, 11:48:30 AM

UNE's been running an up-tempo, pressing, three-heavy offense for a while.  I think a lot of schools are moving to something that looks a little more like what the Houston Rockets are doing.

Nevermind, they seem to have gone full System.  Their one win this year saw them take 80 threes out of 111 total shots.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

polbear73

It looked full System to me in the Bowdoin game in which UNE took 73 3's. making 21 (28.8%) out of a total of 102 shots.  They had 11 players play double digit minutes with the most played being 18 with 2 more playing 9 minutes each.  A total of 16 players participated for UNE.  The UNE substitutions were mostly 5 at a time and several times they had to pause to get them in the game.  Full court press the entire game and a three point shot as early into the shot clock as possible.