New England Soccer Discussion

Started by Jim Matson, June 09, 2006, 12:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blooter442

Good win for Wheaton today against a Roger Williams side that was undefeated. Lyons now move to 3-3-1, but will need to shore up their defense for the visit of Clark on Saturday.

maineman

Quote from: OldNed on September 20, 2017, 11:08:57 AM
Quote from: Off Pitch on September 20, 2017, 10:54:34 AM
Excluding their 3-0 loss to Brandeis in last year's NCAA tournament, St Josephs has only given up one (1) goal in their last 17 games.  They are pitching a shut-out for 2017 having outscored this season's opponents 12-0 through 6 games.

Maybe there are more, but Tufts is the only other team that I am aware of that has not permitted a single goal on the season thus far.  They hold an 8-0 scoring advantage through 5 games, and have only surrendered one goal in their last 11 games.

According to the NCAA stats, the only other team that has not permitted a single goal on the season is Heidelberg and they get tested tonight at Kenyon.

St. Joe's defense is tough led by CB Dalton Gaumer, and it's really difficult to deal with a keeper as big as Mullen at 6 foot 7.  I'm sure they'll give up some goals sooner or later, but their schedule is almost all weaker GNAC teams until they play Keene State for the last game of the regular season.
Keene State was blanked at home by Middlebury 2-0 last night.

NEsoccerfan20

Endicott took down Trinity 2-1 on the road. The Gulls started their third different goalkeeper of the season... another freshman who played pretty well. Very open game and both teams had a ton of chances. Savonen is super dangerous... but the rest of that team needs help.

blooter442

Quote from: NEsoccerfan20 on September 21, 2017, 12:07:27 PM
Endicott took down Trinity 2-1 on the road. The Gulls started their third different goalkeeper of the season... another freshman who played pretty well. Very open game and both teams had a ton of chances. Savonen is super dangerous... but the rest of that team needs help.

That's a good win for Endicott after being upset by JWU at home last week (although Dave Kulik has done a really nice job with the JWU program since arriving). I was curious to see how they'd respond after that, so good for them.

Laserpen123

Brandeis v. Tufts tonight... Big game that will likely decide who is number 1 in New England, and who will probably host all the way until the Final Four, as it has in the past.

I think the big matchup in this one is Tufts defense against the Brandeis offense. Brandeis has scored at least 2 goals in every game this year, and they will put the Jumbos under more pressure offensively than they have all year. Bruce in goal will be tested, and I think he will be beat for the first time this year tonight.

I'm predicting a tough game tonight, if it starts to rain hard, it will favor the Jumbos and their relentless pressure defensively, but I think they drop their first one tonight.

Brandeis 2, Tufts 1

blooter442

Tufts takes it 1-0. Brandeis started strong and had a decent set of chances, but Tufts grew into it and took the lead early in the second half through Rojas. Brandeis had a couple half chances down the stretch, one that was hacked off the line, but nothing too clear cut. Pretty even game overall and definitely both teams hardest game of the year to this point, both sides have testing games ahead, with Tufts on the road for three straight and Brandeis starting its UAA calendar soon.

As an aside, the game featured probably the funniest experience I've had at a D3 soccer game. A gaggle of former Tufts players recognized and started heckling me after Tufts scored — I had no idea I was a (Z-list) celebrity. I did manage to fool some of them that I had no idea who blooter was for longer than I'd expect, although I eventually came clean. The heckling was all in good fun. They were friendly, and we had a good chat.

Ommadawn

You've hit the bigtime, Bloots! It's only a matter of time before the D3soccer.com columnist/poster trading cards hit the market. A 2014 LaPaz in mint condition will fetch you a bundle!

blooter442

Quote from: Ommadawn on September 22, 2017, 09:26:12 PM
You've hit the bigtime, Bloots! It's only a matter of time before the D3soccer.com columnist/poster trading cards hit the market. A 2014 LaPaz in mint condition will fetch you a bundle!

The day they start making trading cards of me is the day I quit my job and get a Swiss Bank account. ;) Alas, I think I'll be working for a while.

Buck O.

Quote from: blooter442 on September 22, 2017, 09:16:53 PM
Tufts takes it 1-0. Brandeis started strong and had a decent set of chances, but Tufts grew into it and took the lead early in the second half through Rojas. Brandeis had a couple half chances down the stretch, one that was hacked off the line, but nothing too clear cut. Pretty even game overall and definitely both teams hardest game of the year to this point, both sides have testing games ahead, with Tufts on the road for three straight and Brandeis starting its UAA calendar soon.

As an aside, the game featured probably the funniest experience I've had at a D3 soccer game. A gaggle of former Tufts players recognized and started heckling me after Tufts scored — I had no idea I was a (Z-list) celebrity. I did manage to fool some of them that I had no idea who blooter was for longer than I'd expect, although I eventually came clean. The heckling was all in good fun. They were friendly, and we had a good chat.

Out of curiosity, since I was also at the game, where were you in the stands?  I'm just wondering how clueless I was, since I didn't notice anything.

blooter442

Quote from: Buck O. on September 22, 2017, 10:01:39 PM
Out of curiosity, since I was also at the game, where were you in the stands?  I'm just wondering how clueless I was, since I didn't notice anything.

Left of the bleachers — I was only there for the second half. As far as fans/attendance goes, I think Tufts definitely made a smart move switching to Bello and enabling night games, although they did have good attendance at Saturday games, when Tufts was having a two-game football/soccer event going on.

Buck O.

Quote from: blooter442 on September 22, 2017, 10:18:53 PM
Quote from: Buck O. on September 22, 2017, 10:01:39 PM

Left of the bleachers — I was only there for the second half. As far as fans/attendance goes, I think Tufts definitely made a smart move switching to Bello and enabling night games, although they did have good attendance at Saturday games, when Tufts was having a two-game football/soccer event going on.

I was on the left side too, but standing up front, next to the fence.  Didn't notice a thing.

I like this environment much better.  When they were next to the football field, everything was overshadowed by whatever was happening at the football game.

PaulNewman

Beatty rings the bell again with the GW for WPI over MIT.  Stats show he got subbed at 90th minute so hope that wasn't an end of game injury as a MIT player also picked up a yellow in the 90th.

blooter442

Beatty scores the winner for the second week in a row as WPI gets another big road win, this time 2-1 at MIT. WPI has been the surprise of the season so far in the NEWMAC, improving to 6-2.

Roger Williams comes back down to Earth, getting thumped 4-0 at home by Endicott for its second defeat in as many games. Hawks still sit at 5-2-2, but this is an impressive show of the Gulls' credentials, particularly a 2g&1a performance from Couchot.

Clark went 3-0 up at Wheaton in the first half, but the host Lyons pulled one back with 31 seconds left in the half. 3-1 at the break. Wheaton has some real talent going forward but has not been able to figure things out at the other end. I don't doubt that some of the players are (likely) still shaken from the horrible loss they suffered, but I do think the defensive issues have been mounting for the past couple of years. From a neutral perspective, I hope they make a run in the second half of the season.

blooter442

Wow. Wheaton comes back from 3-0 down to tie things up at 3-3, which ended up being the final score. The equalizer was the 11th of the year for Sesay, which is good for joint-3rd in the nation (Remillard of WNE leads with 14). Wheaton now 3-3-2, which isn't fantastic, but Brandeis was also 3-3-2 at one point last year and made it to the Final 4 -- it's all about October and November. Better for the Lyons to be coming back from a three-goal deficit (as they did today) than to give up a 3-0 lead en route to a draw (as they did against SLU).

In checking out the stats, St. Joseph's of Maine and Tufts are the only two teams to have still not conceded a goal yet. Will be interesting to see if they can both keep those streaks going into October.

Ommadawn

Quote from: blooter442 on September 23, 2017, 04:07:51 PM
(Remillard of WNE leads with 14).

He got his 15th goal today against Salve Regina.