FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottiedoug

Having watched Ferrum's women's basketball team play Maryville for several years, I suspect Ferrum will make some ODAC teams unhappy.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: HansenRatings on July 05, 2017, 10:45:41 AM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on July 03, 2017, 04:15:37 PM
Quote from: HansenRatings on June 28, 2017, 11:39:31 AM
My Historic Rankings for the current ODAC members plus Ferrum:
As far as recent history goes, Ferrum looks like the they will struggle, but for the most part, they have hovered somewhere in the middle of the conference.

Thanks, Hansen.

I believe that that graph has explained the increased seismic activity beneath Yellowstone National Park.

It's a little easier to read in the link. Team names and ratings appear when you hover the cursor.
+1!  Actually I was admiring the work that you did and thought it was of seismic proportions!   ;D  :)  :D   ::)  8-)

jknezek

Liberty League and E8 just announced a bowl for non-playoff teams. Add that in to the MAC/CC challenge and I think you are seeing a bit of the future. Wonder if ODAC/USASAC will get on this bandwagon?

tigerFanAlso2

hope not; no need to patronize teams for not qualifying for NCAA. nothing to be gained other than seniors having one more game to play; too much expense to play a game in front of parents/friends. Could not imagine having to do this is my playing days; body hurts, semester ending academics requirements are challenging; little to no fan fare; imagine having to travel to Alabama to play such a game. very few would look forward to 12 hours on a bus to play a meaningless game, my thoughts only. certain others feel differently

HSCTiger fan

I assist with a middle school team in nc. At the end of our 7 game season we play an extra game with 1 vs 2, 3 vs 4, 5 vs 6 and 7 vs 8.  We call it Super Tuesday because all 4 games are played at a local high school on a Tuesday. It a big deal to the kids and the support is great. The added effect of playing in a big venue (local high school) adds to the excitement. 

I don't love the single extra game idea but I do like a 2 vs 2, 3 vs 3, 4 vs 4 and so forth. Play all 7 games over Friday night, Saturday and if needed a Sunday. Properly promoted there could be a great turn out and great exposure for ODAC and USAAC.  Play it at the Panthers stadium or what ever replaced the Georgia Dome!  Could be fun.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

tigerFanAlso2

so you want to play in the Georgia Dome that seats 60K plus and put 250 fans in that stadium, 500 max . Really !!! Sounds like an awful way to end a season that has already had a bad ending. no way in hell would I even consider making the trip. Bring on hunting season and lets get ready for Thanksgiving, the hell with another game. going to the NCAA and getting your brains beat in is bad enough, but having to travel for a meaningless game would be even worse, in my opinion. let the kids heal from a long 10 game season.

Scots13

If you can find a decent sized high school with a turf field on the I-85 corridor between Greensboro and Charlotte, you could possibly do 2v2, 3v3 4v4 (etc) and make it a recruiting event (if permissible by the NCAA). Tons of talent within a 2.5/3 hour drive that can come to the games and meet with admissions people of all the schools playing. That's the only way I see more than a handful of people showing up. Either way, I'm a fan of the "bowl" games.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Scots13 on July 06, 2017, 10:17:53 AM
If you can find a decent sized high school with a turf field on the I-85 corridor between Greensboro and Charlotte, you could possibly do 2v2, 3v3 4v4 (etc) and make it a recruiting event (if permissible by the NCAA). Tons of talent within a 2.5/3 hour drive that can come to the games and meet with admissions people of all the schools playing. That's the only way I see more than a handful of people showing up. Either way, I'm a fan of the "bowl" games.
When would you have the game?

For most of the top talent in Texas, the top talent is still in their own post season playoffs during (D-3) weeks 12,13 and 14.  Is that not true in other states in the South?
D-3 week #15, the semifinals, are getting close to the final exams for the colleges.

Thanks.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on July 06, 2017, 09:57:06 AM
so you want to play in the Georgia Dome that seats 60K plus and put 250 fans in that stadium, 500 max . Really !!! Sounds like an awful way to end a season that has already had a bad ending.

I can't imagine you guys *keep* losing to Randolph-Macon, right? That's the only bad ending for H-SC, I'd think.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

HSCTiger fan

The NC high schools have their state championships at Duke, UNC, Wake, and NC State. The last one I attended there might have been 3000 in attendance at NCSU. No one cared. The venue adds to the fun.

I know the ODAC and USAAC will never do this. I just think it would be a good time.
Hampden Sydney College
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

HSCTiger74

Quote from: Pat Coleman on July 06, 2017, 05:03:36 PM
so you want to play in the Georgia Dome that seats 60K plus and put 250 fans in that stadium, 500 max . Really !!! Sounds like an awful way to end a season that has already had a bad ending.

I can't imagine you guys *keep* losing to Randolph-Macon, right? That's the only bad ending for H-SC, I'd think.

I sure hope you're right, but three in a row and four of the last five is an ugly trend.
TANSTAAFL

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: HSCTiger74 on July 06, 2017, 07:34:19 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on July 06, 2017, 05:03:36 PM

I sure hope you're right, but three in a row and four of the last five is an ugly trend.

I prefer to look at it as HSC has won 10 of last 16. 
Hampden Sydney College

tigerFanAlso2

yes, losing to RMC is a really bad ending to the season. They have had their way with HSC recently; the trend will reverse itself sooner than later.

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on July 07, 2017, 08:42:36 AM
yes, losing to RMC is a really bad ending to the season. They have had their way with HSC recently; the trend will reverse itself sooner than later.

It always does. But will it reverse itself before this senior class takes an 0-fer? That hasn't happened since the '98/'99/'00 Tiger classes. Though to be fair, the '04-'08 Yellowjacket classes all felt that sting as well.

tigerFanAlso2

I would say the senior class has a real good chance of being 0-4 vs. RMC. HSC must really improve on defense if they are to beat what should be a pretty good RMC this coming November. We'll see if that happens, there is hope !!!!!