NESCAC

Started by LaPaz, September 11, 2011, 05:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blooter442

Quote from: Brother Flounder on November 19, 2017, 06:36:36 PM
BLOOTS!

Appreciate the shoutout! Congrats to your Jumbos on a fine season.

Brother Flounder

Quote from: blooter442 on November 19, 2017, 06:42:51 PM
BLOOTS!

Appreciate the shoutout! Congrats to your Jumbos on a fine season.

Can't win every year!  Every other year would be good 🙄

firstplaceloser

Quote from: Clotpoll on November 19, 2017, 05:08:05 PM
Messiah should take Brandeis easily. Today's Tufts-Brandeis grapplethon just a poor representation of the game. Fitting for it to end on a GK's clearance error.

Congrats to Brandeis on the victory and to Tufts for a fine season.  Tufts did well this year. I agree the game was not too exciting.  The last 2 years, Tufts style has changed a bit.  Probably has to do with different personnel.  More long balls and goals from set pieces.... they were missing Tasker but not an excuse.

Regarding Brandeis vs. Messiah, they said that Messiah would easily beat Tufts in 2014 but The Giant Slayer goal by Tufts set them back 2 years.  Tufts was the underdog in all playoff games and easily beat every opponent except Messiah on its way to a championship in 2014. So, I don't count out the Judges and will be rooting for a win.

BLOOTS!

Messiah is definitely beatable. their defense isn't as strong as it used to be. since 2013-2014 Messiah has yet to play like they used to. Messiah is still elite but they have their flaws, just as any team does

oldonionbag

A friend of friend was at the Tufts/Brandeis game, and said that it was a poor clearance from Meith, but that Flahive finished it with great composure. Apparently it was nearly headed off the line by one of the Jumbos (it sounded like mere inches), which explains why the Brandeis players on the video feed hesitated before celebrating. Must've justtttt squeaked in! Tufts had so many chances to put the game away but just couldn't do it. Kudos to the Judges.

Over the past four years I think we've seen the birth of a good New England/Boston metro (dare I say it) derby!

Falconer

Quote from: firstplaceloser on November 19, 2017, 09:31:22 PM
Messiah should take Brandeis easily. Today's Tufts-Brandeis grapplethon just a poor representation of the game. Fitting for it to end on a GK's clearance error.

Congrats to Brandeis on the victory and to Tufts for a fine season.  Tufts did well this year. I agree the game was not too exciting.  The last 2 years, Tufts style has changed a bit.  Probably has to do with different personnel.  More long balls and goals from set pieces.... they were missing Tasker but not an excuse.

Regarding Brandeis vs. Messiah, they said that Messiah would easily beat Tufts in 2014 but The Giant Slayer goal by Tufts set them back 2 years.  Tufts was the underdog in all playoff games and easily beat every opponent except Messiah on its way to a championship in 2014. So, I don't count out the Judges and will be rooting for a win.

BLOOTS!

Messiah is definitely beatable. their defense isn't as strong as it used to be. since 2013-2014 Messiah has yet to play like they used to. Messiah is still elite but they have their flaws, just as any team does

Of course Messiah is beatable, and so are Brandeis, NPU, and Chicago. None of them is undefeated, last I checked. I also agree that Messiah hasn't come back to the level of the great teams from 2012-2014. Nor have I (speaking only for myself) crowned them champions this year. Indeed, I said not long ago that Calvin was my pick to win it all (lots of people thought so), and we know what happened to that idea.

IMO, this year's Falcons have two major weaknesses, relative to the last champions. First, they don't defend as well against set plays. However, apart from that (non-negligible) factor, I think they are every bit as strong defensively as those teams. Second, they lack a real target, whereas the greatest of those recent champions had two D1 level targets in Josh Wood and Jeremy Payne. That's what Chicago basically has this year, but Chicago can't match the Falcons' blazing speed and D1 level skills on the wings and probably can't match the Falcons at possession--at least if the Falcons play the way they did this weekend, but that's certainly an "if," and opponents will try to prevent them from dominating possession as far as they can. As you say, every team has its flaws. The matchups of imperfect teams are what make the Big Dance so much fun to watch!

firstplaceloser

Quote from: Falconer on November 20, 2017, 02:53:00 PM
Quote from: firstplaceloser on November 19, 2017, 09:31:22 PM

BLOOTS!

Of course Messiah is beatable, and so are Brandeis, NPU, and Chicago. None of them is undefeated, last I checked. I also agree that Messiah hasn't come back to the level of the great teams from 2012-2014. Nor have I (speaking only for myself) crowned them champions this year. Indeed, I said not long ago that Calvin was my pick to win it all (lots of people thought so), and we know what happened to that idea.

IMO, this year's Falcons have two major weaknesses, relative to the last champions. First, they don't defend as well against set plays. However, apart from that (non-negligible) factor, I think they are every bit as strong defensively as those teams. Second, they lack a real target, whereas the greatest of those recent champions had two D1 level targets in Josh Wood and Jeremy Payne. That's what Chicago basically has this year, but Chicago can't match the Falcons' blazing speed and D1 level skills on the wings and probably can't match the Falcons at possession--at least if the Falcons play the way they did this weekend, but that's certainly an "if," and opponents will try to prevent them from dominating possession as far as they can. As you say, every team has its flaws. The matchups of imperfect teams are what make the Big Dance so much fun to watch!

it seems like we both have the same ideas about this years team. they are the most experienced by far. and 10/10 is no joke. that was the ONLY stat we were nervous about

Mr.Right

Just taking a quick glance at what Tufts loses to graduation and half their spine will basically be ripped out along with a couple key players. Because they have truly no stars they will all be replaceable but some more than others.

Johnson---I thought he was the better GK of the 2 but it is awfully close. He would be a big loss but with Mieth having another year that gives Shapiro some time either next year or the year after to find a solid GK. Amherst could only wish they had this problem.

Zazzali--Saw some key minutes off the bench lately at Wingback and played decently but easily replaceable. Had a key goal last year in the NCAA's.

Kulcsar---This one is the biggest loss IMO if Tufts plans on playing the same style next year. Here's hoping they do not and go back to the way they played in 2014 when they had more individual talent but I doubt it. His leadership, running and all out tackling will be sorely missed. That is not to say he is not replaceable but it might take some time to get the same type of player into that role.

Halliday--He is another one that will sorely be missed for his leadership, toughness and lately his ability to find a goal when Tufts needed it most. I thought the brother was a better player but this kid turned it on the past couple of years. He was their hardest worker this past weekend especially against Hopkins. That being said HE HAD TO FINISH that chance he had against Brandeis in the 2nd Half. He received a ball in the box and made a cagey quick turn but rushed it and leaned back before he hit it. Had a good look on net had he taken 1 more second but he skied it way over the bar. That should of been game over.

Coleman--While I was not his biggest fan he started to grow on me a bit. He was steady eddy in the back but still to slow for my liking. He will be missed for his size and leadership but I think Shapiro will be able to replace him with Jameson or maybe Aroh. To me Aroh looks to be more of a back than a holder but we shall see. A solid career but certainly not the level of Kramer or Williams was in 2014.

Eichhorst--Really improved since his Frosh year. Some Nescac's passed on him when they saw him at their clinics his junior year in HS but he proved them wrong with a solid year this year. Not my type of player as he is not the fastest, does not have a ton of skill and really relies on his size up top. Still he snagged 5 goals this year which is a bonus and his strike v Keene St in October was super impressive. That being said he is replaceable.

Zinner--Another leadership guy that was one of the only seniors that I remember seeing significant minutes in 2014 as a Frosh. Out of all the seniors he improved the least from 2014 but was a very good player wherever Shapiro decided to use him. A Hybrid type that could be used as a wingback or midfielder. Replaceable though.

I think they will miss Kulcsar and Halliday the most but they are returning a ton of talent and I am sure bringing in some more Jersey kids that will keep the program on cruise control. I realize Santos was a steal when Shapiro got him from NMH and would not have gotten into a Williams or Amherst BUT if he could get another type of skilled talent like that maybe Tufts would change their style a bit. Let's hope so.

blooter442

Great summary, and I agree with pretty much all of it. Kulcsar is the biggest loss IMHO and I don't think we'll understand how big it is until next year. Zinner was, as Shapiro said, the only guy in that class who saw a number of minutes as a freshman, and I was happy that he was able to overcome his injuries and get a run of games this year. He is a good kid and will be sorely missed. Coleman did look quite shaky (as did his two-year partner Sullivan) when they first started playing together at CB in 2015, but both improved quite a bit, particularly Coleman IMHO. Watching him was not easy on the eye, but he was effective as the leader back there, and I think he was a deserved NESCAC POY. I am curious to see whether Najjar can take over and lead that back line next year -- he is a big kid who did look solid alongside Coleman, but I did not hear him talk much this year, and he made a couple of bad giveaways that resulted in fouls the times I saw him. Maybe I'm being too critical. He definitely has potential to emerge in the same way Coleman did.

You did forget Eichhorst. I was initially perplexed as to his role in the team, and he wasn't the quickest, but I have to say that he emerged as a solid leader for Tufts this year and led them in scoring. Credit where it is due. I was never really sure where Halliday was playing, I personally think he should have gotten a run of games up top given Tufts' scoring woes this year, but he did provide immense leadership and scored some really big goals during his time.

Zazzali's goal that you are thinking about was actually against Brandeis in the final minute of 2OT (109:08) in the regular season, a key 1-0 win on the road for Tufts at the time. He did also have a consolation goal against Bowdoin when they were down 2-0. Definitely a utility player who could put in a shift at outside back or defensive midfield, and even more impressively, he wasn't recruited for soccer -- he was recruited for baseball but tried out for the team after his frosh year (while continuing to play baseball). That said, I did find it somewhat ironic that the Brandeis 2OT winner this year on the road at Tufts in the Elite 8 was at around the same time (108:53) as Zazzali's goal, and that Zazzali had just been brought on the pitch a minute prior to the goal.

Random question: what ever happened to MacMillian? He started at LB last year and appeared in Tufts' (hilarious) video series in early-season training, but he was not on the roster and the few times I saw him at games, he was in the stands.

A shame that Johnson's career ended with an injury. I did say that I think his 0 goals against was more a product of Tufts' watertight defense, but he was dependable when called upon. His save of the season was in the OT against Bowdoin -- I thought for sure when the ball came down off the bar it would get scrambled in, but he kept it out. Seemed like the most difficult situation he faced all year, but he handled it well. Fair play.

Buck O.

Quote from: Mr.Right on November 22, 2017, 02:18:29 PM
Coleman--While I was not his biggest fan he started to grow on me a bit. He was steady eddy in the back but still to slow for my liking. He will be missed for his size and leadership but I think Shapiro will be able to replace him with Jameson or maybe Aroh. To me Aroh looks to be more of a back than a holder but we shall see. A solid career but certainly not the level of Kramer or Williams was in 2014.

Mr. Right, I assume you've seen this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbz12DgnvlE (fast forward to 9:45)

NEsoccerfan

Quote from: Buck O. on November 22, 2017, 03:55:46 PM

Mr. Right, I assume you've seen this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbz12DgnvlE (fast forward to 9:45)

hhahahha!

wchandy22

I'm not sure who the "THEY' are to which you make reference. The field at Muhlenberg was quire small and the surface was frozen both days. Even the Tufts coach was complaining about this after the first game (see link). A small, frozen field certain neutralized Messiah's advantage with incredible speed on the wings. My feelings at the time, and I believe most Messiah fans agreed, was the first goal might win it . . . and it certainly did. I knew it would be a very close, hard fought affair. I don't recall anyone thinking Messiah would win with ease.

Quote from: wchandy22 on November 23, 2014, 09:02:26 AM
Field conditions at Muhlenberg were a factor after the pitch froze overnight and had only slightly melted before play started today.

http://www.gotuftsjumbos.com/sports/msoc/2014-15/releases/20141122gjae9v

I don't think we will see many goals today. A very small field with two of the better defensive teams in the country. 1-0?
Nature was my kindergarten

Ommadawn

I appreciate the thoughtful analysis provided by Mr. Right and Blooter on the Jumbos and hope that they will apply their skills to other sides in New England, the UAA, and beyond in the lean months ahead in this forum.    It's my impression that Tufts will be better equipped than most squads to withstand losses to graduation.  The stats software used by Tufts (and I think most, if not all, of the NESCAC schools) doesn't publish player minutes, but I think that the raw number of minutes lost due to graduation of all but Coleman (and perhaps Zinner) is not as much as it might appear.  Extrapolating from the games I saw, my guess would be that Eichhorst probably averaged about 45 minutes a game and Kulscar about 60-65 minutes a game, with Halliday somewhere in between those two extremes.  Rojas seemed to split time with Eichhorst, and Aroh would spell Kulscar for a bit each half.  Of course, the leadership offered by seniors in general and these seniors in particular is an intangible that cannot easily be quantified. 

Kulcsar---This one is the biggest loss IMO if Tufts plans on playing the same style next year. Here's hoping they do not and go back to the way they played in 2014 when they had more individual talent but I doubt it....

...I realize Santos was a steal when Shapiro got him from NMH and would not have gotten into a Williams or Amherst BUT if he could get another type of skilled talent like that maybe Tufts would change their style a bit. Let's hope so.

Stylistically, each Tufts team over the past few years has differed somewhat from each other, with the 2014 and 2016 teams most strikingly different from each other.  Strong defense has been a constant (a hallmark of Shapiro-coached teams), though, with the attacking approach contingent more on personnel than any predetermined master plan imposed on the players. 

I think Shapiro will be able to replace him with Jameson or maybe Aroh. To me Aroh looks to be more of a back than a holder but we shall see.

Aroh does have experience at CB.  He played that position on the USYNT a while back and with the Revolution Academy for a short spell in front of none other than first-year Brandeis player Evan Glass, who gets a good bit of time in the holding CM role.

blooter442

Quote from: Ommadawn on November 22, 2017, 06:38:13 PM
I appreciate the thoughtful analysis provided by Mr. Right and Blooter on the Jumbos and hope that they will apply their skills to other sides in New England, the UAA, and beyond in the lean months ahead in this forum.

Appreciate it, Ommadawn. I will probably end up randomly putting out a few of them as I reflect back on the season, particularly after it's over (there ain't much daylight this time of the year where I live). As an aside that has really absolutely nothing to do with anything, whenever I read your username, the voice in my head always reads it as if Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin was singing "Ramble On." ("Oh-ma-dawwwwn.")

While I like to think I was accurate in saying at the start of the season that Tufts did somewhat struggle for goals, as -- taking out the 10-0 Mt. St. Vincent win, they scored 30 goals in 20 games this season, or 1.5 per game -- I actually thought before the season the Jumbos might have a rougher time defensively, given the losses right up the spine they had (Greenwood, Sullivan, Zach Halliday, Majumder, Becherano, etc.). Clearly I was very wrong. I never would have guessed they'd give up only two goals all year, with only one of them being to an opposing player. To give up just two goals all season (21 games) playing an SoS of .607 is absurd. I would like to know if any NESCAC team has done better in terms of goals against over the course of a season (including postseason). I certainly can't think of one.

d4_Pace

First off I want to thank all the posters of this board for keeping this community running.  Much to the amusement of my former teammates, I spent way too much of my free time browsing the pages of this site.  After taking some time to think it over I have decided that I am ready to take the plunge and join in myself. 

I appreciate the difficulties of following d3 soccer and attempting to provide tactical analyses when stream qualities are inconsistent at best.  However, it has been interesting to see how certain ideas regarding my past teams gained traction on this site despite differing radical from how we perceived ourselves.  As a member of the Tufts Soccer program, I still consider myself a member because Coach Shapiro has built an incredible family that one does simply graduate from, I find the perception of the 2014 team a little odd.  As a member of that team and a passionate follower of the subsequent editions, I can promise you that the alumni feel that Tufts Soccer has only gotten better each year.  While certain players on that team certainly were unique talents, I think the comparisons are unfair to the teams since.  A comparison of the statistics from that team and this years is interesting.

The 2014 National Championship team scored 49 goals and conceded 12 in 22 matches.  This years team scored 40 and conceded 2 in 21 matches.  However, the 2014 team scored 16 goals in the first 3 matches of the season and this years team scored 10 against Mt. St. Vincent.  So without those matches 2014 was 33 GF/12 GA in 19 matches and this years team was 30 GF/2 GA in 20 matches.  So the notion that the 2014 was a prolific free scoring outfit while this year was a rigid defensive powerhouse is derived more from this years' defensive record than any offensive shortcomings. 

Also this year's team was probably the most able in terms of pure possession, although I do believe my 2014 group would have rivaled that if we played on the turf at Bello instead of Kraft. 

I also think some of the opinions given on the senior class are a little unfair.  I completely agree that the players are replaceable.  But I do not mean that in any way as a characterization of their talent.  I think the current situation at Tufts is akin to how Messiah's graduating senior classes (with the exception of 2014) were replaceable given that each subsequent class followed up on their success.  When my class hung up the boots at Tufts, we joked that now that the deadweight was cleared out Tufts could really take off.  And I think the current senior class would feel similarly because Coach Shapiro continues to take this program to new levels each year, and Sunday's result does not change that—every year 10-20 programs are capable of winning it all and it takes a combination of luck, health, and togetherness to make it happen.  Coach Shapiro has ensured that Tufts will be in that conversation for the foreseeable future. 

I welcome talking to all of you about my experience and am excited to join this community.  And Mr. Right I hate to let you down, but Coleman isn't nearly as slow as you think. Some of the people I've seen him beat in sprints during training would surprise you.   

Brother Flounder

Quote from: blooter442 on November 22, 2017, 07:51:19 PM
Quote from: Ommadawn on November 22, 2017, 06:38:13 PM
I appreciate the thoughtful analysis provided by Mr. Right and Blooter on the Jumbos and hope that they will apply their skills to other sides in New England, the UAA, and beyond in the lean months ahead in this forum.

Appreciate it, Ommadawn. I will probably end up randomly putting out a few of them as I reflect back on the season, particularly after it's over (there ain't much daylight this time of the year where I live). As an aside that has really absolutely nothing to do with anything, whenever I read your username, the voice in my head always reads it as if Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin was singing "Ramble On." ("Oh-ma-dawwwwn.")

While I like to think I was accurate in saying at the start of the season that Tufts did somewhat struggle for goals, as -- taking out the 10-0 Mt. St. Vincent win, they scored 30 goals in 20 games this season, or 1.5 per game -- I actually thought before the season the Jumbos might have a rougher time defensively, given the losses right up the spine they had (Greenwood, Sullivan, Zach Halliday, Majumder, Becherano, etc.). Clearly I was very wrong. I never would have guessed they'd give up only two goals all year, with only one of them being to an opposing player. To give up just two goals all season (21 games) playing an SoS of .607 is absurd. I would like to know if any NESCAC team has done better in terms of goals against over the course of a season (including postseason). I certainly can't think of one.

BLOOTS, it has to be a modern national record...forget NESCAC.... that's a stat those players will never forget...