Author Topic: ECAC West Tiebreaker?  (Read 3617 times)

Offline spwood

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
ECAC West Tiebreaker?
« on: February 22, 2014, 08:37:09 am »
There is conflicting information in Plattsburgh about the ECAC West tie-breaking procedures.  Most of the fans were under the impression that record against common opponents was one of the criteria.  However, news started making the rounds that is no longer considered and hosting for the ECAC West playoffs may come down to a coin toss.  I have three questions:

1.  When did the rules change?  I had the impression from people who would know that Plattsburgh had the tie breaker advantage.  I fully admit that my impression could have been wrong because now I can't remember where that impression came from.

2.  If there's going to be a coin toss, how will it be conducted?  Not to be paranoid or anything, but the way this information has come out has me a little paranoid toward the ECAC.  Probably unfounded, but what can I say?  I'm getting old?

3.  This was an entirely foreseeable possibility the way the ECAC West is constructed.  How do you implement tie breaking procedures that can easily end in a coin toss?  That seems to be horribly bad planning by the league.  Also, if you make a change this big, as the NCAA did with its selection criteria this year, you should make it as public as possible.

OK, rant over.  Any answers would be appreciated!

Offline Matthew Webb

• Starter
    • View Profile
Re: ECAC West Tiebreaker?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 03:18:35 pm »
Unfortunately I have absolutely no idea.  It all seems rather confounding to me as well.  About all I know is that my interpretation of the tiebreaker rules I replied to on twitter...it looks like a coin toss to settle it. Assuming both win in regulation today, of course.
"It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere" - Voltaire

Offline spwood

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 08:23:35 pm »
So now that the seemingly inevitable has happened, when will we know something?

Offline Matt R

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 08:49:31 pm »
So now that the seemingly inevitable has happened, when will we know something?

According to Elmira's website........a coin flip will take place within.........the next few days...... ::)

Offline Matthew Webb

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 01:01:38 am »
According to Elmira's website........a coin flip will take place within.........the next few days...... ::)

Will take place on Monday.
"It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere" - Voltaire

Offline spwood

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 10:50:40 am »
According to an ECAC Twitter feed, Plattsburgh State has won the toss and elected to receive the ECAC West tournament hosting rights.

Steve Wood

Offline spwood

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 08:33:28 am »
Guess we won't have to worry about tie breakers this year!   ;D

Plattsburgh seems to be missing that crucial element that they've taken for granted over the last several years - consistent goaltending.  Leonard is perfectly capable of carrying this team (she was fabulous against Elmira in the Saturday game), but can she do it for several games in a row in the post season (not so much on Sunday)?  It will be an interesting post season, with no clear cut favorite any more.

Offline spwood

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 11:47:11 am »
OK, so let's resurrect this topic for the 2016/2017 season.  With a split next weekend a distinct possibility, I thought I'd ask the annual question of what are the ECAC West tiebreaking procedures this year?