2017 Classes

Started by Go2Goal, May 22, 2017, 04:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Go2Goal

Rowan has absolutly loaded up this offseason! In the 4th season of the new regime Coach Baker and his staff have put together a team that will have a legit chance to win a national title in 2017. Last year the Profs made a nice run. They spent time at #1 last year and only lost 3 games all year. Losing to eventual champion Tufts 1-0 in the tournament.

Next year the profs are brining in some of the best players in the country!

New players coming in:

Ryan Campbell          1st team all NJAC and all Region transfer from Ramapo
Modou Sowe              2013 NJ POY & All American
Matt Hendrickson       11 goals as a freshman at Montclair
David Devries           
Eric Checkur              6'8" gk
Brendan Mcfarlane     Red shirt Junior (back from injury)
Kevin Primich            started 16 games as a freshman (back from Injury)
Derick Carpio            All American High School player
Blake Czajowski       
Justin Curtin
Matt Fahey                Williamstown    South Jersey POY
Alex Nicol                 
John Delsandro         Washington Twp.
Mike Shoener            Jackson
Gregg Johnson          Old Bridge
Victor Figueroa          Mainland
Aaron Robertson       Christian Brothers Academy

With 2 sophomore all americans already on the roster adding these guys is scary. Campbell, Sowe, and Hendrickson are all american talents. 

Mr.Right

Wow...They picked up some great transfers...Now the coach will have to manage all those egos and playing time which doesn't get talked about alot but can be very problematic on good teams if you do not manage it correctly.

sokermom

Quote from: Go2Goal on May 22, 2017, 04:52:36 PM
Rowan has absolutly loaded up this offseason! In the 4th season of the new regime Coach Baker and his staff have put together a team that will have a legit chance to win a national title in 2017. Last year the Profs made a nice run. They spent time at #1 last year and only lost 3 games all year. Losing to eventual champion Tufts 1-0 in the tournament.

Next year the profs are brining in some of the best players in the country!

New players coming in:

Ryan Campbell          1st team all NJAC and all Region transfer from Ramapo
Modou Sowe              2013 NJ POY & All American
Matt Hendrickson       11 goals as a freshman at Montclair
David Devries           
Eric Checkur              6'8" gk
Brendan Mcfarlane     Red shirt Junior (back from injury)
Kevin Primich            started 16 games as a freshman (back from Injury)
Derick Carpio            All American High School player
Blake Czajowski       
Justin Curtin
Matt Fahey                Williamstown    South Jersey POY
Alex Nicol                 
John Delsandro         Washington Twp.
Mike Shoener            Jackson
Gregg Johnson          Old Bridge
Victor Figueroa          Mainland
Aaron Robertson       Christian Brothers Academy

With 2 sophomore all americans already on the roster adding these guys is scary. Campbell, Sowe, and Hendrickson are all american talents.

Some top talent from DMV going to D3 schools for one reason or the other:
Jared Moses (Lycoming) - Pipeline
Nick Battaglia (Catholic) - Pipeline
Lucas Randrianrivelo (RIT) - Pipeline
Vinay Chandra (Goucher) - Baltimore Armour Pre-Academy
Randy Putnam (Frostburgh) - Baltimore Celtic
Jared Brown (Stevenson) - Pipeline
Ammar Narmouq (York) - SAC

Ommadawn

Endicott has a strong class of new recruits, including four players from Oakwood USSDA:

http://www.ecgulls.com/sports/msoc/2016-17/releases/20170509g4q8c1

Shooter McGavin

Rowan, Messiah, Amherst, Tufts and Calvin/Kenyon/Chicago all have to be top 5 favorites for preseason right? Assuming there would be a real preseason poll not just based off last season's results. Rowan and Messiah are going to be loaded once again although both have extremely difficult schedules and Amherst has only lost 4 games in the last 5 years!! Remarkable! Meanwhile Tufts has only won 2 of the last 3 titles and Calvin/Kenyon/Chicago are all pressuring for their chance. Awesome talent across the D3 landscape in recent years.

1970s NESCAC Player

Quote from: Shooter McGavin on June 13, 2017, 11:20:21 AM
Rowan, Messiah, Amherst, Tufts and Calvin/Kenyon/Chicago all have to be top 5 favorites for preseason right? Assuming there would be a real preseason poll not just based off last season's results. Rowan and Messiah are going to be loaded once again although both have extremely difficult schedules and Amherst has only lost 4 games in the last 5 years!! Remarkable! Meanwhile Tufts has only won 2 of the last 3 titles and Calvin/Kenyon/Chicago are all pressuring for their chance. Awesome talent across the D3 landscape in recent years.

I would never count the league out, but NESCAC teams may need a year or two to re-stock the barns after all of the talent that has graduated recently.

blooter442

Quote from: 1970s NESCAC Player on June 13, 2017, 12:20:54 PM
I would never count the league out, but NESCAC teams may need a year or two to re-stock the barns after all of the talent that has graduated recently.

Well said. While the NESCAC has competed very well in the NCAA tournament in the last 10 years (and beyond) and can't be counted out, each of the three major contenders for the league (in my view) suffered big graduation losses. Moreover, I think the NESCAC itself is wide open.

Amherst loses at least 5 starters, including 3 of the back 4 in Bean, Aoyama, and Sood, Orozco in midfield, and Martin up top, plus a key reserve in Sisk. I think there are more, but that's all I could remember.

Tufts loses Greenwood (who I think pretty much won them the 2nd national title), Sullivan, Halliday, and Majumder. Numerically, that's only 4 losses, but they're big ones – right down the spine. They bring back some good talent, but losing the experience of those 4 players could be huge.

Middlebury loses Conrad, Glazer, Sydor, and CB Bean. Again, big losses in the context of the team.

The competitive match know-how gained by playing in the NESCAC could help these teams overcome these large losses of talent. We shall see.

Dog Face

The losses to graduation for the NESCAC powers would appear to be major as noted.  And I think there's even more than was stated in prior post- Amherst loses Lehnhart (that means their whole back 4) and Ciambella, their two decorated players from last year, and Tufts loses Becherano, their leading goal-scorer by a mile (with Majumder's injury).  So who's year is it in NESCAC?  Huge losses at Amherst, Tufts, Midd as noted, and when I reminded myself who else was in the mix last year, Williams also looks to have had big losses.  Conn College will struggle without Devlin (irreplacable), and hard to believe Hamilton is for real.  So is it Bowdoin's year (maybe that's why they didn't bolster their SOS- NESCAC title or bust!).

Beyond that, I'm thinking it's the year for Brandeis.  I know they lost some scoring, but with Ocel coming back they'll have a dominant midfield.  Team doesn't skip a beat with the new coach.  Would be interested to hear from someone knowledgeable (not me).

truenorth

The NESCAC is always an enjoyably competitive conference.  Fresh talent flows in every year, so I wouldn't worry about a dramatic drop-off in performance levels by any of the typically strong teams.  My son played for Bowdoin several years ago.  I'm surprised that Babson dropped off their schedule for the upcoming season.  That has always been a competitive game, and scheduling only Maine schools for non-conference games won't do a lot to keep Bowdoin sharp for the conference games.

blooter442

Quote from: Dog Face on June 20, 2017, 01:49:59 PM
The losses to graduation for the NESCAC powers would appear to be major as noted.  And I think there's even more than was stated in prior post- Amherst loses Lehnhart (that means their whole back 4) and Ciambella, their two decorated players from last year, and Tufts loses Becherano, their leading goal-scorer by a mile (with Majumder's injury).

Good point – forgot about Ciambella. I think I saw Lehnhart listed as a striker on Amherst's roster, and – coupled with him being labeled a "utility player" in a newspaper article and the fact that he scored in the NCAA title game in 2015 – I didn't remember he was a CB. Now that I think about it, however, he very much was.

Quote from: Dog Face on June 20, 2017, 01:49:59 PM
Beyond that, I'm thinking it's the year for Brandeis.  I know they lost some scoring, but with Ocel coming back they'll have a dominant midfield.  Team doesn't skip a beat with the new coach.  Would be interested to hear from someone knowledgeable (not me).

You are correct that they'll have a very good midfield, possibly the best in D3 New England. However, in addition to losing both wide forwards, they also lose both center backs (yet both outside backs return). And seeing how much they struggled at the beginning of last season with one new center back (albeit one who was replacing a two-time All-American), I fear they might have a tough time adjusting. Even so, Woodhouse is one of the best goalkeepers in New England, and with a midfield that is very good in both the defensive and attacking thirds of the field, I think they'll be competitive.