MBB: NEWMAC

Started by nehoops4life, March 03, 2005, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BornBalla

Does Springfield have a chance to beat MIT? What happened in WPI/Springfield game? Looks like WPI could not shoot at all. By the looks, I would be lead to believe that Springfield played a zone(WPI tons of 3's).

T990

Springfield has been playing better and better as the season goes along.  They played a 2-3 zone the whole game vs WPI.  Surprisingly in their own gym, WPI couldn't make shots.  They shot just 23% FG% and 21% 3PFG% for the game.  SC played poised throughout the game and did not get rattled by WPI's aggressive defensive style.  Cavalieri was their best offensive force and Crean and Coburn were also factors, all with height advantange over WPI.
The book on WPI in the NCAA obviously will be to play a zone on them.

In the second game, scoring was like pulling teeth for both teams.  Babson only scored 39 points in the whole game!  MIT's outside shooting has been uncharacteristically off for a couple games now, but they had enough options to gut this out.  BTW both schools brought a fan bus of students to this game.  The lower section for both schools STOOD for the whole game.  It was quite an atmosphere.  The MIT fans celebrated a tough victory with the players on the court after the game.

It will be interesting to see if SC is better off keeping with that zone or not vs MIT today.

Hugenerd

MIT up 35-26 at the half.  Bartolotta has 21 points on 6-12 shooting.

Hugenerd

Quote from: T990 on March 01, 2009, 10:23:01 AM
Springfield has been playing better and better as the season goes along.  They played a 2-3 zone the whole game vs WPI.  Surprisingly in their own gym, WPI couldn't make shots.  They shot just 23% FG% and 21% 3PFG% for the game.  SC played poised throughout the game and did not get rattled by WPI's aggressive defensive style.  Cavalieri was their best offensive force and Crean and Coburn were also factors, all with height advantange over WPI.
The book on WPI in the NCAA obviously will be to play a zone on them.

In the second game, scoring was like pulling teeth for both teams.  Babson only scored 39 points in the whole game!  MIT's outside shooting has been uncharacteristically off for a couple games now, but they had enough options to gut this out.  BTW both schools brought a fan bus of students to this game.  The lower section for both schools STOOD for the whole game.  It was quite an atmosphere.  The MIT fans celebrated a tough victory with the players on the court after the game.

It will be interesting to see if SC is better off keeping with that zone or not vs MIT today.

The zone doesnt seem to work well against MIT.  Clark tried it the last regular season game of the year and it didnt work then.

MIT up 59-47.  Bartolotta has 31 with 7 minutes left.

Hugenerd

The game all but over.  A little over 2 minutes to go.  MIT up 19.  Bartolotta has 35 points.

Hugenerd

MIT ends up cruising to the victory 76-50.

Bartolotta ends up scoring 37 points on 11-18 shooting (3-6 3PT).

Gampel had a really good game at the point, with 7 rebounds, 10 assists and 1 turnover.

Billy Bender and Jamie Karraker each chipped in 9 points and Billy Johnson had 13 points.  Eric Zuk had 10 boards.

MIT finally seems to be out of their funk, shooting 40% from 3 and 47% overall from the field.

Pat Crean led Springfield with 20 pts.

CONGRATS TO MIT ON THEIR FIRST EVER NEWMAC TOURNEY WIN AND THEIR FIRST EVER NCAA BIRTH.

nescac1

Congrats to MIT.  heck of a gutty team considering how many minutes the starters have to play and just how many talented big guys quit or never joined the program ... glad Bartolotta gets a well-deserved chance at the national stage.  Wonder if the first round opponent will throw a Stephen Curry style gimick defense at him.  If Bartolotta (along with Kent Raymond) aren't first team all americans, something is seriously wrong ...

Hugenerd

Quote from: nescac1 on March 01, 2009, 05:13:43 PM
Congrats to MIT.  heck of a gutty team considering how many minutes the starters have to play and just how many talented big guys quit or never joined the program ... glad Bartolotta gets a well-deserved chance at the national stage.  Wonder if the first round opponent will throw a Stephen Curry style gimick defense at him.  If Bartolotta (along with Kent Raymond) aren't first team all americans, something is seriously wrong ...

So you think Bartolotta should get NE player of the year?

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: hugenerd on March 01, 2009, 05:43:24 PM
Quote from: nescac1 on March 01, 2009, 05:13:43 PM

So you think Bartolotta should get NE player of the year?

If he doesn't, something is incredibly wrong with the system.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

nescac1

I really don't think it is even close hugenerd.  A first team would look something like him, Shelton from UMD, Rudin, Baskauskas, Deluca, but of that group, he put up the best numbers by far, and all the rest of those guys had a lot more talent surrounding them.  I mean, I think he is a legit contender for national player of the year -- he's gotta be most valuable -- I mean, w/out him, what would MIT's record have been there year?  Although Wheaton fans could make a similar case for Raymond ...

Hugenerd

Quote from: nescac1 on March 01, 2009, 05:59:07 PM
I really don't think it is even close hugenerd.  A first team would look something like him, Shelton from UMD, Rudin, Baskauskas, Deluca, but of that group, he put up the best numbers by far, and all the rest of those guys had a lot more talent surrounding them.  I mean, I think he is a legit contender for national player of the year -- he's gotta be most valuable -- I mean, w/out him, what would MIT's record have been there year?  Although Wheaton fans could make a similar case for Raymond ...

I agree.  Raymond does have another All-American on his team (a legit big-man, nonetheless, Wiele).  Wheaton (IL) did win a few games without Raymond, though.  I do not think MIT has won a game without Bartolotta, during his entire career (given he has only missed a few games).

You look at other NE All-Americans with not much depth (Pierce at Tufts and C. Johnson at CGA) and you see how their doing and compare that to how MIT is doing, and you can get an idea of how valuable Bartolotta is.

T990

Congratulations to MIT on the 2009 NEWMAC Championship and their first ever NCAA berth in the 108-year history of the program.

http://www.newmacsports.com/sports/mbkb/championships/2008-09/championship09

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: hugenerd on March 01, 2009, 06:32:05 PM
Quote from: nescac1 on March 01, 2009, 05:59:07 PM

I agree.  Raymond does have another All-American on his team (a legit big-man, nonetheless, Wiele).  Wheaton (IL) did win a few games without Raymond, though.  I do not think MIT has won a game without Bartolotta, during his entire career (given he has only missed a few games).

You look at other NE All-Americans with not much depth (Pierce at Tufts and C. Johnson at CGA) and you see how their doing and compare that to how MIT is doing, and you can get an idea of how valuable Bartolotta is.

Actually, Wheaton was 1-2 with Raymond out (and lost his first game back, when he was clearly sub-par and played less than half the game); with him healthy they are 23-0.

Hugenerd

Im not trying to detract at all from Raymond.  I got to watch him a few times online this year and he his a great player.  Since MIT doesnt webcast there games, it is hard for people from other regions to know how good he is.  I would say that Raymond and Bartolotta are the two best guards in the country and arguing who is better is an argument that can go back and forth.  Obviously, Raymond has had more team success to this point but he also has a better and deeper team around him.  Bartolotta has put up better numbers but he doesnt play in the CCIW.  They are both great players and I dont think there is use in arguing this.  I think the voting for player of the year will probably depend alot on the region of the voter.  Whoever wins Player of the Year and the Jostens will be deserving regardless of who wins.