FB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Wally

Quote from: bleedpurple on January 27, 2015, 01:55:56 AM
A few of us had dinner with Coach Raeburn tonight. He is a very engaging,authentic, and sincere guy. It is obvious he is a really good man. Easy to see why you guys are glad he's your coach.

Hoping you guys stiffed him on the bill.

formerd3db

Quote from: Joe Wally on January 27, 2015, 12:48:09 PM
A few of us had dinner with Coach Raeburn tonight. He is a very engaging,authentic, and sincere guy. It is obvious he is a really good man. Easy to see why you guys are glad he's your coach.

Are you implying that his salary is such that he makes a ton of $ to afford paying for that type of expensive meal? ??? :o ::) (Posted in jest, of course, in view of the recent discussions here regarding head coaching and assistant coaching salaries in DIII and all levels for that matter). :)
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Li'l Giant

Quote from: formerd3db on January 27, 2015, 06:42:58 PM

Are you implying that his salary is such that he makes a ton of $ to afford paying for that type of expensive meal? ??? :o ::) (Posted in jest, of course, in view of the recent discussions here regarding head coaching and assistant coaching salaries in DIII and all levels for that matter). :)

We already established what it looks like when ER picks up his paycheck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs6kT_0H1MI
"I believe in God and I believe I'm gonna go to Heaven, but if something goes wrong and I end up in Hell, I know it's gonna be me and a bunch of D3 officials."---Erik Raeburn

Quote from: sigma one on October 11, 2015, 10:46:46 AMI don't drink with the enemy, and I don't drink lattes at all, with anyone.

Joe Wally

Quote from: formerd3db on January 27, 2015, 06:42:58 PM

Well played, sir.

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: Kira & Jaxon's Dad on January 26, 2015, 06:24:59 PM
Related to a recent discussion of D3 coaching salaries:

Here is a posting from footballscoop.com on a position at Mariette (I know, not a premiere location):

QuoteMarietta College (D-III – OH): Marietta College is seeking applications for a full-time entry level coaching position (offensive skill). It is a ten-month position (August to May). Playing or coaching experience at the collegiate level is preferred. Responsibilities will include: on field coaching, practice and game preparation, on road recruiting, video editing (Hudl), academic support, and other duties as assigned by head football coach and athletic director. Salary is $12,000 per year. Room and board are not included. Please submit: Resume, cover letter, and three professional references to ale004@marietta.edu.

I have to wonder if we're missing a piece of the puzzle here.  Like, if that isn't actually a "full-time" position, but actually something that can be supplemented with a second job.  I'm no expert in the application of wage laws and where the minimum wage applies vs. unpaid internships and whatever, but a "full-time" job that pays $12,000/year - well, working 40 hours a week for 10 months, that comes out to like $7/hour, maybe it just skates through as a minimum wage job.  Maybe you could make it work if you got free housing and free meals in the dining hall, but with room and board specifically not included...how in the world?
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

Bombers798891

Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on January 28, 2015, 11:04:57 AM

I have to wonder if we're missing a piece of the puzzle here.  Like, if that isn't actually a "full-time" position, but actually something that can be supplemented with a second job.  I'm no expert in the application of wage laws and where the minimum wage applies vs. unpaid internships and whatever, but a "full-time" job that pays $12,000/year - well, working 40 hours a week for 10 months, that comes out to like $7/hour, maybe it just skates through as a minimum wage job.  Maybe you could make it work if you got free housing and free meals in the dining hall, but with room and board specifically not included...how in the world?

I've been at places where "full-time" was 32 hrs/week. Going by that, you get roughly $9/hr

formerd3db

Quote from: Bombers798891 on January 28, 2015, 02:21:14 PM

I've been at places where "full-time" was 32 hrs/week. Going by that, you get roughly $9/hr
Quote from: Kira & Jaxon's Dad on January 26, 2015, 06:24:59 PM
Related to a recent discussion of D3 coaching salaries:

Here is a posting from footballscoop.com on a position at Mariette (I know, not a premiere location):

QuoteMarietta College (D-III – OH): Marietta College is seeking applications for a full-time entry level coaching position (offensive skill). It is a ten-month position (August to May). Playing or coaching experience at the collegiate level is preferred. Responsibilities will include: on field coaching, practice and game preparation, on road recruiting, video editing (Hudl), academic support, and other duties as assigned by head football coach and athletic director. Salary is $12,000 per year. Room and board are not included. Please submit: Resume, cover letter, and three professional references to ale004@marietta.edu.

Wow, unbelievable to both aspects.  ETP, your question sums it up perfectly!

P.S.  Thank you also JWally.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

formerd3db

ExTP:

I forgot to ask you about your opinion/thoughts regarding Enos leaving Central Michigan for Arkansas.  IMO, it was a "NB'er".  It will be interesting to see who Central Michigan chooses.  Not sure if the new Interim HC might have a chance at having the "Interim" removed from his title.

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: formerd3db on January 28, 2015, 05:02:34 PM
ExTP:

I forgot to ask you about your opinion/thoughts regarding Enos leaving Central Michigan for Arkansas.  IMO, it was a "NB'er".  It will be interesting to see who Central Michigan chooses.  Not sure if the new Interim HC might have a chance at having the "Interim" removed from his title.

No brainer for him, of course.  Coordinator position in the SEC > head coach position in the MAC.  I'm a little surprised, honestly ("Bielema and Enos played against each other in college while Bielema was at Iowa and Enos at Michigan State. The two also coached against each other over the years, and their conversations about Enos' possible hiring began last week at a coaches convention" is all I can really dig up on how they know each other) but that's more a function of "I had no idea Arkansas would poach a guy like Enos" than it is surprised about his decision, presented with the two choices.

Really hard for me to imagine the interim coach will be the HC.  I think that was really a stopgap "We need someone to keep answering the phone and handling recruits until we have a new guy" and presumably any new HC would retain the LB coach/special-teams coach as a link to the prior staff for the players' sake, if nothing else.  I saw a reference to Brady Hoke, but I can't imagine that would go over too well...you're more plugged-in to the Michigan scene than I am, but my impression from speaking with many Central alums is that, since the schools are rarely in direct competition, many Central students/fans/alums are also Michigan fans and thus would probably not react too favorably to that move.

I'll be on the lookout for info as it comes.  Right now it's looking like one more year for my GF at Central before we make a joint move somewhere.  She wants a second year of teaching experience to beef up her CV, and isn't about to ask me to move to Mount Pleasant knowing that another move may be coming after that (besides, I just got a very nice pay bump and promotion to a different group here at UPMC).  So I'll (probably) be making at least one more years' worth of journeys across I-76/80 and then up north/west on 23, 96, and 127.

Incidentally, my GF told me on the phone last night that one of the Chippewas, a starting defensive end who was among my favorite players on this year's team, was in her yoga class yesterday.  She knew that I'd have been jealous and would have excitedly introduced myself had I been there!

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

Regarding Coaching Salaries:

Saw this on coachingsearch.com (Grinch is a Mount Union Alum):

QuoteWashington State: New defensive coordinator Alex Grinch will earn $425,000 next season
National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

Pat Coleman

... gonna have to hit him up for a donation. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

D3gab

ExTartanPlayer

Li'l Giant

"I believe in God and I believe I'm gonna go to Heaven, but if something goes wrong and I end up in Hell, I know it's gonna be me and a bunch of D3 officials."---Erik Raeburn

Quote from: sigma one on October 11, 2015, 10:46:46 AMI don't drink with the enemy, and I don't drink lattes at all, with anyone.