MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Himjay23

Back to how the league will play out. I think there are just 2 teams that could have a chance to pull an upset on Puget. Whitworth has proven scorers, a sound ball handler, and a big man that can keep up with McVey. LC has lights-out shooters to keep pace with Curtiss etc. Both will need to play near flawless games to pull it off though. What does everyone else think?

Big Dave

Blackhawks4~

I was curious if you knew where Jeremy Cross was?  He isn't on their roster...and I thought he was one of their best players.

piofan

Ok.  Use to be here before, and now getting back into this thing. 

Heard that UPS is just loaded and should run away with the league.  Do not know much about the other teams except LC and UPS.  LC has some good players from what I hear but are a bit small, but can shoot it.  Still a young team with most of team sophomores and freshman. 

Curious to know more about the other teams like Willamette, Fox, etc.  Need to get caught up after a few years away.

blackhawks4

There is no east coast and midwest bias?  Come on!  If it comes down to taking a west coast team or an east coast team with similair records the east coast team will go everytime.

Himjay, Who is Whitworth's big man? I'm with ya on williams but proven scorers? 

Will, L/C, ww  have a shot at UPS on the road. Little worried bout whitman too.

Big Dave??? The legend ???Wow.  Is that you??

Pat Coleman

Quote from: blackhawks4 on October 30, 2005, 06:07:12 PM
There is no east coast and midwest bias?  Come on!  If it comes down to taking a west coast team or an east coast team with similair records the east coast team will go everytime.

Do you have any examples?
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Big Dave

Quote from: blackhawks4 on October 30, 2005, 06:07:12 PM
Big Dave??? The legend ???Wow.  Is that you??

I am surprised that I get such excellent billing.  Whatever you want to call me...I am cool.  I was curious what the word is with Cross?  My football team (that I am coaching) is 6-2 and making a run at the league title.  We'll see what we can do.  I am running the defense...and we are really starting to play well.  Just wanted to say hello...and find out the outlook on the Loggers.

Himjay23

I should have clarified about Whitworths "big man".  Lance Pecht is not really a stereotypical big man but at 6'4, 6'5 your a big man in this league.  He can score inside and he proved that last year by averaging over 15 a night. I spoke too soon however, when I said he would cause problems on defense for McVey, which I doubt. As far as scorers are concerned, I think the Pirates have one of the better offensive players in the league in senior Jon Young. Young could be the best shooter in the league and also put up 15+ per game last year. Another big body down low is George Tucker, yet another double digit scorer returning. With its top 4 players back, Whitworth looks like a solid #2 team.  Piofan, LC IS small, and that's an understatement. I heard that they are going to copy Puget's uptempo, all-out, pressing style. Expect more threes from them this year then in the past, which is really saying something. Wells is a long distance threat and they have a few others you have to keep an eye on.  Should be a fun year!

piofan

Thanks Himjay.  I know that LC will be playing very uptempo this year.  Heard it directly from the school itself.  And its hard to imagine them getting up more 3's than they already do, so that will be interesting. I cant wait to get back to Portland in January and see that.  Should be interesting.

Whitworth seems to continue to do well.  I was around in the mid-90's and ever since I can remember they have always had quality teams. 

Whats the news on Willamette?

pennstlbu

What I've heard about Cross is that he transfered and walked-on @ Wazzu, although he is not listed on their roster. I'm not 100% sure if that's true, but that's what I've heard from someone who saw him in Pullman a few weeks ago.

Himjay23

No prob. As far as Willamette goes, they have most of the top players from last years team back. Jon Olinger, who really came on during the second half of last year, was granted a post-grad year I believe and he should be their top guy back. I see them as a middle-to-upper level team this year. They have a lot of freshman, but I don't see any of them making a huge impact this year. David Fife, a freshman from Canby, has potential and could be a star for them in the future though.

blackhawks4

Allright with preseason right around the corner lets do it:
Preseason Picks

1st team
MVP:  Zack McVey ups
Chase Curtiss ups
Brian Williams ww
magnuson lc
pecht ww
ricker wmn

2nd team
schmick gfu
wells lc
olinger wu
ryan delong ups
young ww

newcomer (i know it's not a category but...) RJ Barsh ups

1. ups
2. ww
3. lc
4. wu
5. wmn
6. gfu
7. lin
8. plu
9. pac

Himjay23

Magnuson is out until after the first semester. Don't know if he will rejoin the team then or not. Picks:

1-Puget
2-Whitworth
3-LC
4-George Fox
5-Willamette
6-PLU
7-Whitman
8-Linfield
9-Pacific

First team-
John Young WW
Chase Curtiss UPS
Magnuson LC (providing he plays)
McVey UPS
Williams WW

2nd team-

Olinger WU
Robinowitz LC
Pecht WW
Schmick GF
Kelly WHIT

Coach of the year- Hayford, Whitworth

Any thoughts, input?

andrewf

I'd look for a challenge from George Fox this year.  The team finally got some confidence from their break out year last year and only lost ONE player from the team last year (technically 2, but the 2nd never played).  Granted the one player was POTY last year but provided they can come together as a team I could see them having a chance.

bearcatsfan3

bearcatsfan3

Like to start by saying I'm glad I found this site, and am looking forward to talking about NWC hoops all year long (although I'd like to see some more Bearcats fans on here obviously).

First of all, as a WU alum, it was disappointing to see Willamette fall from the top of the league last year, although I don't expect them to stay there for long.  UPS has done a fantastic job over the past few years, taking the conference by storm and reinventing themselves (in my day, they were the also-ran school in Tacoma, that wore green and yellow).  Whitworth has certainly been a factor year in and year out, while the traditional powers, WU, LC and Linfield, have been a bit inconsistent.

That being said, my picks are:

1.UPS-losing Cross will hurt, but they've dealt with the loss of quality players before...whatever happened to the shooter from a few years ago...medved (i think)?
2.Whitworth-Came on strong at the end of last year, and pecht/williams are a strong tandem...the shooter, Young, was good as well
3.Willamette-Coach James will not stand for another sub-.500 season...Olinger is a player, and from the Midnight Madness I went to, the Bearcats looked a lot more athletic...they and Whitworth could easily flipflop all year long in the standings
4.G.Fox-lose Gayman, but have a lot back right?
5. LC-If they're hot, they can contend...but wow, if magnuson is gone, who's inside?
6. Whitman-seems like they're always right around here
7. PLU-don't know or here anything about them
8. Pacific-new coach, anyone here anything??
9. Linfield-shelton was great...but he's gone right? think they lost a lot more as well

Finally, have to disagree on the conference tourney question...think its great, keeps a lot of the teams alive in late january when they'd probably be playing for pride (and some aren't very good at that)...