MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smitty Oom

Quote from: bball1122 on May 15, 2018, 07:25:50 AM
It's official - Michael Gutierrez leaving Mac and transferring to Whitman:

https://twitter.com/Big_Guut/status/996223913427337217

http://athletics.whitman.edu/news/2018/5/14/mens-basketball-welcomes-four-in-2018-recruiting-class.aspx

From the MIAC boards...

Whitman got a good player in Gutierrez, he tore his ACL last year so he was unable to play but he will fit into the high tempo, lot of possession basketball the Blues play.  He goes from one of the most losing programs in D3 to one of the most winning programs of D3 as of late, will be fun for him to compete for a national championship.

BluesBrother

Quote from: Smitty Oom on May 15, 2018, 08:08:25 AM
Quote from: bball1122 on May 15, 2018, 07:25:50 AM
It's official - Michael Gutierrez leaving Mac and transferring to Whitman:

https://twitter.com/Big_Guut/status/996223913427337217

http://athletics.whitman.edu/news/2018/5/14/mens-basketball-welcomes-four-in-2018-recruiting-class.aspx

From the MIAC boards...

Whitman got a good player in Gutierrez, he tore his ACL last year so he was unable to play but he will fit into the high tempo, lot of possession basketball the Blues play.  He goes from one of the most losing programs in D3 to one of the most winning programs of D3 as of late, will be fun for him to compete for a national championship.

Vickers is a nice pickup for the Blues as well!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

An embarrassment of riches, especially with Harrison and Wiggins coming back.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

A Buc Forever

Tweet from Logie

@CoachLogie
In the last 12 years there have been 24 @NorthwestConf 🏆 awarded for reg. season and tournament champions. @WhitworthMBB has 21 of them...

Greek Tragedy

I'll be very interested to see how the current Pacific players adjust to new Coach Lunt's high pressure defense, up-tempo offense he's bringing over from UPS. The Loggers seemed to have adjusted pretty well in their first and only year in his new system. Of course, I took a shot at Pacific by drafting them in our fantasy league!
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on June 27, 2018, 10:45:12 AM
I'll be very interested to see how the current Pacific players adjust to new Coach Lunt's high pressure defense, up-tempo offense he's bringing over from UPS. The Loggers seemed to have adjusted pretty well in their first and only year in his new system. Of course, I took a shot at Pacific by drafting them in our fantasy league!

I'm not sure Coach Lunt is a one-trick pony. He very well may adjust his style to what he has. I don't remember him having just one way of doing things. I could be wrong.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on June 27, 2018, 12:44:48 PM
Quote from: Greek Tragedy on June 27, 2018, 10:45:12 AM

I'm not sure Coach Lunt is a one-trick pony. He very well may adjust his style to what he has. I don't remember him having just one way of doing things. I could be wrong.

http://www.goboxers.com/news/2018/4/25/mens-basketball-boxer-buzz-featuring-justin-lunt.aspx

This interview made it sound like he's planning on implementing the up-tempo style. He only implemented it just last season at UPS and he even noted they figured it out quickly.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I get that... but even you said he only implemented it last year. I know many coaches that rather see what they have for talent (granted, he knows them from the league) before making that decision.

Quotes like those I take kind of below face value. I realize how much can change. LOL

That said... learned a fascinating story from an east coast school on an added item to their interview process ... give us a coaching symposium for lack of a better term. One coach talked about how he would beat a high and mightly power in a particular sport. Broke it all down from scouting and the like... was the deciding factor. :)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

smedindy

Saw George Fox Saturday night at CWU. The Bruins got whapped 118-70. Ryan Lacey had a nice game for George Fox with 23, but he needed more help and didn't get it. Green-Richards only had 12 on 4-14 shooting (1-8 from 3).  Hamlett went 0-11 and had trouble with the CWU bigs. They committed 25 fouls, and most of those were due to being in bad defensive position. It may be a long year, again.

(509)Rat

Might be a couple of NWC teams with coaching changes (and transfers...) that take a little step back. I wouldn't be surprised to see a .500 type record get the 4 seed. Basically everyone not named Whit-something can pencil in 4 losses. Linfield actually looks to be in a good position to improve on last season and finish 3rd. I think UPS hiring Shelton was a good move. Knows the high school seen, very familiar with the University and d3 recruiting challenges, schematically probably won't change a ton which will be nice for current players. Those two teams have to be the favorites to end up in the 3/4 spots come conference tourney time. Lunt loses a couple of key seniors at Pacific, no idea whats coming in. His style will keep what looks like the smallest team in the league (and one that may not be as talented as last season) in plenty of games. PLU can't get worse I guess. L&C probably will get worse. Willamette rarely puts a good product on the court. So I guess Fox may be able to stay in the hunt...6-10 finished 5th in the conference last year...

A Buc Forever

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 11, 2018, 03:04:52 PM
Preseason men's Top 25 is out!
http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2018/10/preseason-mens-top-25

Thanks for the link.  I have a question about Nebraska Wesleyan making the transition from NAIA to NCAA III.  I remember when the NWC made that switch and the conference seemed to dominate the national football scene for a short bit. The NWC made the transition in 1998-99 and PLU won the national championship in football in 1999.  Linfield won national championships won in 2004. No team has been very close since then. At least that is my recollection.  During the transition, do the kids brought in with NAIA scholarships keep the scholarship? If not, how many kids on the team were brought in with a scholarship and then stayed and just paid their way through?  I did have a conversation with the Menlo College football coach about playing teams from the NWC soon after the conference made the transition and he said they were going to find it more difficult to beat other DIII teams in a few years.  My question is how much of advantage, if any, is Nebraska Wesleyan having right now because of the transition?

Greek Tragedy

I'm guessing that's why there is a 4-year transitional period, to weed out the scholarship players?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Pat Coleman

Quote from: A Buc Forever on November 14, 2018, 01:05:04 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 11, 2018, 03:04:52 PM
Preseason men's Top 25 is out!
http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2018/10/preseason-mens-top-25

Thanks for the link.  I have a question about Nebraska Wesleyan making the transition from NAIA to NCAA III.  I remember when the NWC made that switch and the conference seemed to dominate the national football scene for a short bit. The NWC made the transition in 1998-99 and PLU won the national championship in football in 1999.  Linfield won national championships won in 2004. No team has been very close since then. At least that is my recollection.  During the transition, do the kids brought in with NAIA scholarships keep the scholarship? If not, how many kids on the team were brought in with a scholarship and then stayed and just paid their way through?  I did have a conversation with the Menlo College football coach about playing teams from the NWC soon after the conference made the transition and he said they were going to find it more difficult to beat other DIII teams in a few years.  My question is how much of advantage, if any, is Nebraska Wesleyan having right now because of the transition?

Nobody at NWU was on scholarship. Schools that hold dual membership in NAIA and NCAA Division III had to follow the more restrictive rule, and that meant giving no athletic-related financial aid.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

To follow up on Pat's comment ... they were still a full-fledged member of DIII. They still declared, in each sport, whether they would be eligible, and thus apply for a schedule waiver (due to the number of games against DIII opponents), for national tournaments.

There was no delay in them coming "fully" into DIII.