GoPerry

Birmingham Southern   67  Wheaton 64

Hannah Frazier      28 pts, 6 reb,
Kristi Demski      11 pts
Hannah Williams   10 pts

Derienne Black      23 pts,
Emilee Olsen      14 pts, 11 rebs
Misa Fujii              13 pts, 7 rebs

Wheaton ladies go down 67-64 to a very good Birmingham Southern squad in Santa Cruz, Ca.  The Thunder were done in by a very poor shooting 2nd Q where they only scored 9 pts and trailed by 13 at half.  However they fought back to take the lead in the third and it was tight all the way through the 4th.  But they couldn't get over the hump.  Wheaton was also badly out rebounded 45-35.

I wasn't sure what to make of the BS Panther's 5-1 record since their wins had come against mostly weak teams.  But they are a very good team and will win lots of games in the SAA. They have two really fine players in Soph 5'8" Derienne Black and Sr 6'2" Emilee Olsen.  Black especially is naturally gifted offensively and if the Panthers do well this year, she should probably get some All American consideration.  Olsen played AA Frazier as well as any player in the CCIW despite her 28 pts in the losing effort.

This was a very good test for Wheaton in the sense it was another close game. Going into league play I'm beginning to suspect they are searching for a second consistent scorer besides Frazier.  Nobody quite stepping up yet.  They should be fine in the CCIW.   But right now they are not quite playing at a level to do much more in my opinion.  Not quite looking like a top 25 team really.

iwu70

Sure hope Kendall Sosa is OK.  Not a serious injury.  She's become the key, top scorer for IWU.

TITANS play DePauw next -- a tough match up, esp. if without Sosa.

Good, rather easy win over Rose.

'70

Jester1390

RogK

thanks for the update, Jester1390 ... always prefer good health for all involved

GoPerry

#11 DePauw just edges #21 IWU 69-67 in a very tight game throughout the final 20.

This would've been a really nice win against a likely RR opponent if the Titans could've pulled it off.  Huge game by DePauw's All Am Sydney Kopp with 35 and 7 and the game winning layup with 2 secs left.  The Tigers really had difficulty with the press which is particularly effective if a team is not used to seeing it and not sufficiently prepared/practiced to break it.

Titan's Riley Brovelli (16 pts, 10 rebs) is really playing well and benefits a lot by the Titans frequent high screen/roll execution which they run very well.  Shanks, Lansford, Munroe ( 13, 13, 9)all capable of getting hot and scoring.  Kendall Sosa ( 7 pts) was not offensively active, probably somewhat encumbered by the ankle injury.  A very strange technical foul on IWU up by 2 with less than a minute left was costly.  Jay Murray said it was on Mia Smith but I couldn't tell.

RogK

Illinois College defeated Millikin 78-73. The Lady Blues defeated the Big Blue.
For Millikin : Aubrey Staton 19 pts, 5 rebs, 3 stls; Abby Ratsch 14 pts, 7 rebs, 4 assists, 3 stls; Briana Anthony 13 pts, 6 rebs.
I watched segments of the webcast and thought Millikin looked two-thirds half asleep in the 1st quarter. That's 1/3 asleep.
If I saw things correctly, Aubrey Magro endured a leg injury, so best wishes to her for a quick recovery.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: RogK on December 01, 2019, 07:28:09 PM
I watched segments of the webcast and thought Millikin looked two-thirds half asleep in the 1st quarter. That's 1/3 asleep.

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

iwu70

Tough loss for the TITANS, against highly-ranked DePauw.   Agreed on Brovelli, much improved from previous seasons.  Titans getting some good bench support now from Bowen and Eck.  Too much Sydney Kopp for sure. -- 9 treys.  Well, IWU always plays a very tough schedule, making them rough and ready for the long CCIW run . . . so here we go.  5-2 at this stage is not bad.  Sure wish it was 6-1. 

Wish Kendall Sosa more recovery, full recovery in the next few days.

IWU'70

Jester1390

Rog

The coach can't get a technical at end of game and inexcusable she didn't use the final timeout with 3 seconds left after the made basket

RogK

ronk

Quote from: Gregory Sager on December 01, 2019, 07:46:03 PM

I like it.    :)

ronk

Quote from: Gregory Sager on December 01, 2019, 07:46:03 PM

I like it.    :)

RogK

Congrats to Hannah Frazier for her 2nd CCIW Player of the Week honor!

Titan Q

Quote from: GoPerry on December 01, 2019, 07:04:59 PM
A very strange technical foul on IWU up by 2 with less than a minute left was costly.  Jay Murray said it was on Mia Smith but I couldn't tell.

The T on Mia Smith...

https://twitter.com/IWUhoopscom/status/1201342617067364352?s=20

The officials made a bad mistake by not looking at the bench for a timeout call -- Mia called timeout almost immediately after the ball went through the basket.  She should have been given the timeout but no one was looking.

Mia made a bad mistake by getting out on the floor to complain about it.

Mr. Ypsi

Is there anyone at the scorers' table who has the authority to recognize a time-out?  If so, that would have been her out - ignore the refs (who were ignoring her >:() and get the TO from the table.