MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D O.C.

Since I just cannot help myself being a drive-by kinda guy and all...
The amount of funding for a D3 schedule is just not there for basketball at Linfield.

There IS a reason easily rectified by falling on a sword.

playball

Quote from: D O.C. on March 16, 2012, 09:29:07 PM
Since I just cannot help myself being a drive-by kinda guy and all...
The amount of funding for a D3 schedule is just not there for basketball at Linfield.

There will never be enough funding at Linfield for a D3 only schedule. Not with who is at the school now in the upper echelons of the athletic department or the old guy who retired but still holds a grudge.  D.O.C., you know who I am talking about

A Buc Forever

Playball,

I'm not sure what is happening at Linfield.  All I know is that back in the day they dominated in football, baseball, AND basketball. In addition, PLU was dominant in basketball and football. Clearly, both schools are capable of being great in both sports, they just have to put the pieces together.

Of course both PLU and Linfield were dominant in both sports when I played at Whitworth.  I must confess I have enjoyed this last decade of basketball success for Whitworth over the two schools. REALLY enjoyed it when Whitworth's football team won the league two years in a row.

One thing that has changed is that it is a different landscape playing Div III vs NAIA.  When you are not giving athletic scholarships any more, then you have to have a school that attracts the academically superior athlete.  This gives schools like UPS and Whitworth a huge advantage over schools like PLU and Linfield.

Playball, I know you hate my zingers on Linfield and I promise to do it for no longer than my brother did it to me after they kicked our butts all over the field in football when he was coaching at Linfield and I was playing at Whitworth (so I'll stop in 30 or 40 years).

Bearcat Press

Quote from: (509)Rat on March 12, 2012, 06:36:46 PM
That's easily the most fans I've seen at a Willamette basketball game...ever. Nice work! Although storming the court was a little unnecessary  ;)

:) Cut us some slack - there's been some bad blood between Willamette and Fox for a couple of years ... compounded by the fact that we hadn't beat them in a couple of years ... compounded further by the fact that we haven't really won many games at all the last couple of years ...

Honestly, I have no idea how/why/what caused so many students to show up for that game.  It was almost surreal - we got some pretty good crowds during Gordie's last years, but nothing quite like that.  Hopefully lots of those students will remember how cool it was and come back regularly next year.  It's a funny thing: Cone can get pretty darn loud when it's full.
"It's a slippery slope from the penthouse to the outhouse." - Mark Speckman

steveflegel

BC Press,
I had the chance to go to a couple Whitworth - Willamette games in the early 90's when the Bearcats were in their hoops glory years.  Cone was packed.  Lots of students and a ton of folks from the community coming out to watch those great teams play.  The place had a special environment when it was full.

(509)Rat

Well, I'm completely convinced Logie can coach. But this is where we separate the men from the boys, on the recruiting trail...

formercat

Quote from: playball on March 16, 2012, 11:02:51 PM
Quote from: D O.C. on March 16, 2012, 09:29:07 PM

Whats the reason? Doty should quit because he cannot get financial support from the athletics department that is controlled by an old man (Rutschman) with a 15 year old unjust grudge?

(509)Rat

Glad Whitworth's baseball team has been able to keep my attention while I wait for Whitworth to announce this year's recruiting class...  ;D

madzillagd

Speaking of recruits - bad news for PLU with one of their incoming recruits, Seth Anderson out for awhile.  Tore his meniscus this weekend. Get well soon Seth.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Hope you don't mind a break in the action, as it were, but I want to share a story the D3 community should know about. You actually may have seen the story on the front page of D3hoops.com, but just in case:

A Goucher basketball player has been paralyzed in a freak accident. He was wrestling around with a friend one morning in his dorm building when he landed on his neck. The entire story is here.

He was released from the hospital to the Kennedy Krieger Institute for rehab shortly after that article was posted last week. However, over the weekend he was sent back to the hospital when he apparently had trouble breathing. Now he awaits a return to the rehab facility, probably any day if he hasn't been released already.

Please keep Damone Brooks, his family, the Goucher basketball team(s), and Goucher community in your thoughts, hearts, and prayers. The family certainly needs help with medical bills as well, so if you feel inclined, please consider them as well.

To follow his progress online, click here.
And to consider a donation, click here.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Please feel free to contact me with any questions.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Bearcat Press

A few things going on with the Bearcats' offseason:

1. Recruiting class announced.  At first glance, it looks like the coaches put a premium on getting bigger across the board - something this program desperately needed.  Should be fun to watch these guys develop.

2. Interesting hire as former Kalamazoo head coach Rob Passage is the new Athletic Facilities and Operations Manager.  Wonder if he'll be joining Coach Ioane's staff.

3. The schedule has been released.  Nonconference highlights: co-hosting a tourney with L&C along with the usual Capital City Classic lineup, as well as a trip to Chapman for another tourney.  Lots of D-III games, which is good.
"It's a slippery slope from the penthouse to the outhouse." - Mark Speckman

madzillagd

Bearcat...  you got a good one with Luedtke from Mountain View HS, Idaho. Tough kid with a motor that doesn't quit.  Not the greatest athlete but makes up for it with determination.  Nephew played them in the Idaho state semis this spring and so I watched several of his games when we were scouting. Lefty that has a knack for getting his shot off around the basket, even against taller opponents.  We basically shut down their whole squad for a half except for Luedtke who just found ways to get it done. 

Here's the game video if anyone is interested.  Post Falls vs MW 2012 Idaho State Semifinals
http://www.idahosports.com/gamestreams/player/default.aspx?webcastid=3220

Some players of note on the video and where they are playing next year...

Luedtke (MW) - Williamette

Marcus Colbert (PF) - Montana State
Michael Hillman (PF) - Eastern Oregon U.
Seth Anderson (PF) - PLU (knee injury so likely out next year)
Luke Thoreson (PF) - Williams College

(509)Rat

Utah doesn't list the Willamette game as an "exhibition"...they must be taking this more seriously than our friends down in Salem  ;D

Pat Coleman

It is possible for a game to be considered a game for a D-I or D-II school but an exhibition for a D-III school. Happens a few times a season.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

If a game between a D1 and D3 is played after the D1 start date but before the D3... D1's can count the game, but D3's have to consider it an exhibition.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.