FB: American Southwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

umhb2001

Yeah, they looked really good against TLU, which also tells you how good UMHB is. Probably going to be another 1st round meeting.
Watch out for the wreckingCRU defense!!

Coolrey

Really thought TLU was going to hang with HSU. Things fell apart early and often. Someone earlier mentioned that HSU would win by 30 and I thought no way. I was way wrong. Obviously, UMHB and HSU are the top 2 without argument. Still a good season for TLU and can finish with the best record since 2015. Looking forward to UMHB's trek to the title.

QB Jock Itch

Quote from: umhb2001 on October 20, 2018, 05:44:49 PM
Stellar game for The Cru today. UMHB looked great on offense and defense. The announcers mentioned that UMHB, for the first time in school history, has had three shutouts in a row. This is saying something. Luke looked great again. He really is the best all around, I believe, as his performance week in and week out has been constant with a slight uptick. I wish the coaches would give him a chance to start. Things are lining up well. Looking forward to HOCO!

So in your opinion what does Hammack look like since it's always about Poorman? I can't remember you ever mentioning Hammack and how he played or runs the offense. Other than the HPU game Hammack had one of the highest passing percentage and QBR in D3. Trying to understand what it is about Hammack you don't like?

CowboyAlum261

Yesterday's game has to be HSU's best performance of the season. It was great to see us shake off the UMHB game and seem to finally be figuring out life without Jaquan. LOVED seeing Kevi Evans and Rae Millsap step up as well, hopefully they can continue to grow and make some big plays should we  meet up with UMHB again. Hooper missed some wide open receivers early, but showed a lot of poise by getting back on track and throwing some beautiful deep balls to Kevi/Rae. Only 3 games left, Southwestern is this week, and this is a team we should beat handily, but they have a knack for playing us close so it will be another one to watch closely.

DFWCrufan

Quote from: QB Jock Itch on October 21, 2018, 11:32:23 AM
Stellar game for The Cru today. UMHB looked great on offense and defense. The announcers mentioned that UMHB, for the first time in school history, has had three shutouts in a row. This is saying something. Luke looked great again. He really is the best all around, I believe, as his performance week in and week out has been constant with a slight uptick. I wish the coaches would give him a chance to start. Things are lining up well. Looking forward to HOCO!

So in your opinion what does Hammack look like since it's always about Poorman? I can't remember you ever mentioning Hammack and how he played or runs the offense. Other than the HPU game Hammack had one of the highest passing percentage and QBR in D3. Trying to understand what it is about Hammack you don't like?

I wasn't the original poster but, I believe the hope for Poorman to pick up the lead role in QB was the fact that he led UMU in some post season play and to some victories. So with his announcement he was transferring to UMHB it seemed like Yes, our QB issues could be addressed by someone with a track record we knew of. Jase was out of Div 1 and completely off my radar but has turned out to be a very pleasant surprise so for me it was someone I was familiar with verses a player I have never heard of. None the less all THREE QB's bring a outstanding level of play and confidence. The Cru are blessed to have such talent
9 Year Member of the CRU-Nation! UMHB National Champions 2016 and 2018

DFWCrufan

9 Year Member of the CRU-Nation! UMHB National Champions 2016 and 2018

umhb2001

We are in a great position. We have at least 2 QB's that could be starting.

Jase has been very good. His arm is strong, and that allows him to play really well, and he has run better than I thought he would. I think Jase started the season very strong, and he was clearly the #1.

Luke has been strong of late. He started the season with two fumbles and a pic against a team from Mexico, then an early pick in the season stalled his play. I think of late, he has been on a bit more of the upswing.

Jase has been a bit locked in on one receiver. I have talked about this with several guys who I go to games with, go to church with, and who also went to UMHB. I think Saturday's game was the best where he didn't track one WR straight from the snap. Luke has progressively gotten more accurate over the course of the season with his throws being on a dime. I also feel like his ability to run is slightly better.

Mostly, I don't think Luke has had a clear shot to lead a win. Coach Fredenburg has repeatedly said that he wants a QB to step up and take over the team, but he has never given Luke the chance to start and lead a game. If the head coach is going to continue to say that the position is still up for grabs, then I wish he would give Luke a chance to lead from the start.

By the way, Coach Fred, if you are reading this, and I know you are on these boards sometimes, you know I love your decision making and leadership. We are blessed to have you. I just would like to see Luke start a game and have a chance to lead a win.

This is all I'm saying.
Watch out for the wreckingCRU defense!!

Toby Taff

like 2001, i've been a part of some of these conversations, and in them we've wondered if Jase's arm strength is part of it. Jase has a cannon and can throw a long way into a stiff wind. it's impressive and when everything is clicking it's a great weapon to have with the speed we have at receiver, but Jase doesn't seem to be growing on the field. his level of play seems static. it could be because of where we are on the schedule, but it seems like WYSIWYG. Luke seems to get better every time he gets on the field, and i'd like to see what that looks like with him starting a game.
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

crufootball

Quote from: Toby Taff on October 22, 2018, 12:16:05 AM

like 2001, i've been a part of some of these conversations, and in them we've wondered if Jase's arm strength is part of it. Jase has a cannon and can throw a long way into a stiff wind. it's impressive and when everything is clicking it's a great weapon to have with the speed we have at receiver, but Jase doesn't seem to be growing on the field. his level of play seems static. it could be because of where we are on the schedule, but it seems like WYSIWYG. Luke seems to get better every time he gets on the field, and i'd like to see what that looks like with him starting a game.

To me this seems to be a potential Zach Anderson/Blake Jackson situation. Now I won't pretend to understand who is truly more talented/skilled so I am not commenting on the skills of any of the 3 quarterbacks. However instead of wining the job in previous seasons, as Zach did, Jace won the job in the preseason and has really done nothing to lose the job. Blake played backup for 2 years never quite seizing the opportunity when giving the chance until his final year. I truly feel that if Luke could do something to prove he deserved his shot then he would get it but until then I don't Coach is going to pull a guy off the field that if nothing else doesn't look like he is going to lose us a game.

txtiger1

Now I know UMHB is a machine and ya'll have won national championships like this, but dang I would get sooo tired of watching the revolving door of QBs every year

Toby Taff

Quote from: crufootball on October 22, 2018, 09:29:23 AM

To me this seems to be a potential Zach Anderson/Blake Jackson situation. Now I won't pretend to understand who is truly more talented/skilled so I am not commenting on the skills of any of the 3 quarterbacks. However instead of wining the job in previous seasons, as Zach did, Jace won the job in the preseason and has really done nothing to lose the job. Blake played backup for 2 years never quite seizing the opportunity when giving the chance until his final year. I truly feel that if Luke could do something to prove he deserved his shot then he would get it but until then I don't Coach is going to pull a guy off the field that if nothing else doesn't look like he is going to lose us a game.
I think the difference for me is that in interviews coach has consistently said someone needs to take control and make the teams his, and that person would be the starter. Letting the same guy start because he isn't going to lose you the game isn't the same as starting him because the team is his. If that has not yet happened then you have 2 other guys that won't lose you the game, put one in with the first team and see how the first team responds. I wonder if someone or some ones are enamored with the arm strength and the potential that brings if every thing is dialed in. I know i am curious, but it hasn't been fully dialed in yet. In fact I'd say when it comes to bombs away plays we've seen from the speedsters, Luke has been more on the money hitting them in stride. Jase has over thrown KJ and Sims several times, and with that speed that can't be easy.
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

HSUDAD

Quote from: txtiger1 on October 17, 2018, 04:38:26 PM
HSU will beat TLU by ~30 points if they play an average game.

Obviously I'm biased, but ETBU should have beat TLU by a couple scores if literally 1 play didn't happen. In the 4th qtr with ~6 min left ETBU was up 21-14 and had driven the ball just past the 50. One of our runners unfortunately tried to do too much on a sweep and ended up running backwards 20 yds and then losing a fumble (unforced) on our own ~25. That killed us and we muffed the kickoff return (still got possession on the 5-10yd line) and then fumbled the snap on the following punt to basically give TLU the ball back at the ETBU 40 with 1 min left. Obviously, thats on us but still feel like we played good enough to win comfortably for 3 1/2 qtrs.

HSU and TLU, from watching both games, are not on the same level.

Just wanted to give you credit for this prediction, I would have never ever thought it could be true.  TLU is a good team and has consistently given the Cowboys trouble over the past several years.  A big difference in the game was our coaches "finding a way" to get our speed on the field on offense.  The addition of Milsap and Evans at receiver and continuing to utilize Hammonds at RB was one of the major factors that contributed to the win, that and the defense played lights out and our special teams were on point.  It was the most complete game we have played this year which is very exciting going forward. 
On to Southwestern for us (another team that has shown to play us tough). 

Coolrey

Quote from: HSUDAD on October 22, 2018, 01:31:33 PM
Quote from: txtiger1 on October 17, 2018, 04:38:26 PM
HSU will beat TLU by ~30 points if they play an average game.

Obviously I'm biased, but ETBU should have beat TLU by a couple scores if literally 1 play didn't happen. In the 4th qtr with ~6 min left ETBU was up 21-14 and had driven the ball just past the 50. One of our runners unfortunately tried to do too much on a sweep and ended up running backwards 20 yds and then losing a fumble (unforced) on our own ~25. That killed us and we muffed the kickoff return (still got possession on the 5-10yd line) and then fumbled the snap on the following punt to basically give TLU the ball back at the ETBU 40 with 1 min left. Obviously, thats on us but still feel like we played good enough to win comfortably for 3 1/2 qtrs.

HSU and TLU, from watching both games, are not on the same level.

Just wanted to give you credit for this prediction, I would have never ever thought it could be true.  TLU is a good team and has consistently given the Cowboys trouble over the past several years.  A big difference in the game was our coaches "finding a way" to get our speed on the field on offense.  The addition of Milsap and Evans at receiver and continuing to utilize Hammonds at RB was one of the major factors that contributed to the win, that and the defense played lights out and our special teams were on point.  It was the most complete game we have played this year which is very exciting going forward. 
On to Southwestern for us (another team that has shown to play us tough).

I didn't see that coming, either.  HSU played a very good game and TLU didn't.  UMHB and HSU may match up again and, if HSU plays the way they did the other day, it could be a different story.  UMHB hasn't been tested yet, and that could be a problem down the road.  Particularly since there is not one upcoming opponent who will likely put up a good fight against them.  I hope that the Cru is able to adjust when the speed of the game dramatically picks up from what they have been facing all season.

QB Jock Itch

Quote from: Toby Taff on October 22, 2018, 11:52:35 AM

I think the difference for me is that in interviews coach has consistently said someone needs to take control and make the teams his, and that person would be the starter. Letting the same guy start because he isn't going to lose you the game isn't the same as starting him because the team is his. If that has not yet happened then you have 2 other guys that won't lose you the game, put one in with the first team and see how the first team responds. I wonder if someone or some ones are enamored with the arm strength and the potential that brings if every thing is dialed in. I know i am curious, but it hasn't been fully dialed in yet. In fact I'd say when it comes to bombs away plays we've seen from the speedsters, Luke has been more on the money hitting them in stride. Jase has over thrown KJ and Sims several times, and with that speed that can't be easy.

I've been to every game this season and have heard everyone pull for Luke when he comes in but it's silent when it's Hammack. I get it, I've had the opportunity to talk with Luke and he's one of those kid you've got to love and pull for, but I've also talked with Hammack and he's the same. From my understanding Luke had the 1 spot all through camp and the both scrimmages, so he actually was given a chance. Coaches must have agreed to go with Hammack, I watch alot of the small things that Hammack has done like greeting his lineman coming off the field after a TD and XP, watched how he stood and prayed for Dorion after he went down from an injury Sat when know was watching. I just think he has done what the coaches have asked which is to keep the clock running, moving the chains, lead the team, get the players to buy into him, and score. I don't like the revolving QB thing but they haven't asked me either. I'm just glad this hasn't splitting the locker room and from what I'm told Luke and Jase are still good friends. Thanks for all the comments. Go CRU!!

Toby Taff

Quote from: QB Jock Itch on October 22, 2018, 05:23:56 PM
Quote from: Toby Taff on October 22, 2018, 11:52:35 AM

I've been to every game this season and have heard everyone pull for Luke when he comes in but it's silent when it's Hammack. I get it, I've had the opportunity to talk with Luke and he's one of those kid you've got to love and pull for, but I've also talked with Hammack and he's the same. From my understanding Luke had the 1 spot all through camp and the both scrimmages, so he actually was given a chance. Coaches must have agreed to go with Hammack, I watch alot of the small things that Hammack has done like greeting his lineman coming off the field after a TD and XP, watched how he stood and prayed for Dorion after he went down from an injury Sat when know was watching. I just think he has done what the coaches have asked which is to keep the clock running, moving the chains, lead the team, get the players to buy into him, and score. I don't like the revolving QB thing but they haven't asked me either. I'm just glad this hasn't splitting the locker room and from what I'm told Luke and Jase are still good friends. Thanks for all the comments. Go CRU!!
From today's temple daily telegram:
QuoteFredenburg said. "But I really want it to be the quarterback, and I haven't necessarily seen that yet.

"That's just the way it is. It comes with being the quarterback. You have to be the leader of that offense. You have to be able to wear that cloak, whether you want to or not. That's something we're working on. . .

perhaps a new voice of leadership on offense is just what the Crusaders need to start working toward their peak.

If that doesn't do it, Fredenburg is ready to add some new wrinkles.

"I want to shake things up a little bit. That's where I'm at right now," he said. "I want to challenge our guys. Now, I'm not going to be stupid. But we need to give guys who deserve it the opportunity to touch the ball more. We need to see who can do certain things. I just want to shake things up a little bit."

So, I guess the question isn't settled with Coach Fred. We'll see what happens Saturday.