Author Topic: Shenandoah, TX tables approval of 2018-19 NCAA d3fb championships  (Read 1745 times)

Offline Ron Boerger

• All-American
    • View Profile
Re: Shenandoah, TX tables approval of 2018-19 NCAA d3fb championships
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2017, 04:48:13 pm »
Per an email I sent to the writer:

"The 'outside of DIII territory\' comment was taken straight from information provided by the City of Shenandoah, which was included in last night's agenda packet on the item's background. I have amended the article so that it no longer includes that comment."

We have some work to do in the Houston area. :)
That's as good of a reason as any to move the game around, spread the good word about D3.

Yes, but you have to have an organizer that wants to spread the good word.   These guys sound like all they want to do is let the parents and family come to them and "reap the rewards" of the hotel nights and taxes. 

Offline Ron Boerger

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2017, 04:52:53 pm »
Ah, I *knew* this was familar ... these guys also had the D3 swimming championships earlier this year:

http://www.shenandoahtx.us/ncaachampionships.cfm

Now, for swimming, nobody travels besides the athletes, coaches, and parents.   They probably based their football bid on that experience and the AA bought off on it. 

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2017, 05:44:12 pm »
That said (and I stand by it) according to https://communityimpact.com/guides/houston/the-woodlands/news/city-county/2017/10/26/ncaa-division-iii-football-championship-hampton-inn-suites-5-takeaways-shenandoah-city-councils-oct-25-meeting/ the council did unanimously approve the 2018 event.   I am amused at the comment (which came from the council) that "[t]his will be the first time in 25 years the Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl will be played outside of 'DIII Territory'; I guess the fact that there are a dozen or so DIII schools playing football in TX, and a dozen more in DIII as a whole, doesn't make TX 'DIII Territory'.
Considering that there is not a single D-III school within a 150 mile radius, then yes it is outside the usual D-III Territory.

Offline smedindy

• All-American
  • ‘Heliotrope, Hell!’ orated he: ‘We want blood!’
    • View Profile
    • Music reviews for one and all, or me at least.
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2017, 06:18:54 pm »
That said (and I stand by it) according to https://communityimpact.com/guides/houston/the-woodlands/news/city-county/2017/10/26/ncaa-division-iii-football-championship-hampton-inn-suites-5-takeaways-shenandoah-city-councils-oct-25-meeting/ the council did unanimously approve the 2018 event.   I am amused at the comment (which came from the council) that "[t]his will be the first time in 25 years the Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl will be played outside of 'DIII Territory'; I guess the fact that there are a dozen or so DIII schools playing football in TX, and a dozen more in DIII as a whole, doesn't make TX 'DIII Territory'.
Considering that there is not a single D-III school within a 150 mile radius, then yes it is outside the usual D-III Territory.

How far is Sul Ross State from anyone in D-3?

Offline jknezek

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2017, 09:06:56 pm »

"First star to the right and straight on until morning..." And yes, I am currently reading Peter Pan to my twin 5 year olds every night.

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2017, 09:52:58 pm »

That is why the Convention and Visitors Bureau of Alpine TX did not put in a bid.

There are wonderful sights to be seen nearby, the McDonald Observatory, Fort Davis, Big Bend National Park, Marfa lights, Kokernot Field, etc., but alas...

Offline FCGrizzliesGrad

• All-American
  • Hoosier Hysteria
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2017, 10:04:45 pm »

McMurry, Hardin-Simmons, Howard Payne are all 320ish miles. Schreiner (with no football team) is about the same.
Football picker extraordinaire
4 titles: NJAC
3x: IIAC, MIAA:S
2x: CCIW, NACC:S, NCAC, WIAC, Nat'l
1x: HCAC, MIAC, OAC:S, OAC:P, ODAC:S, ODAC:P
:(: ASC, MIAA:P, NACC:P, NWC, SCIAC

Basketball Dabbler
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2014 Tourney Fantasy
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2016 Tourney Draft

Offline Mr. Ypsi

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2017, 10:19:46 pm »
But there are many D3 schools that are 'outside of D3 territory' (maybe not QUITE as far as Sul Ross.  Think UMPI, Finlandia, and Colorado College, to name just three.

Shenandoah seems to be totally outside of D3 awareness, and since the city manager who pushed for it has moved on, seems to not have a clue what they have signed on for.  I smell a debacle in the offing.  Bets on 2019 going back to Salem or going early to Canton?

IF they have ever even heard of them, they better hope like hell that UMHB (or HSU) will be in the Stagg!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 10:22:22 pm by Mr. Ypsi »

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2017, 09:48:15 pm »