MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

(509)Rat

If blackhawks would stick to giving us insight on Whitman (scouting reports, gameplans, game recaps, etc) and some game/league standing predictions, he would be a fantastic poster. Its the whole, post a bunch of factually incorrect garbage that makes him unlikeable sometimes.

Whitworth can't afford to get killed on the boards again if they want to win Saturday. They played great defense and still had to go to OT with L&C in Spokane after a 50-30 rebounding advantage for the Pios. Same thing that ended Whitman's season tonight, well that and easy points in transition. So easy a guy off the bench who averages under 4 pts/g put up 18 tonight. L&C doesn't shoot the ball well from the 3 point line (consistently at least), so they will need all of the second chance points they can get. Whitworth has been playing very good defense as of late, I don't expect L&C to have nearly the same offensive success on Saturday as they did tonight. That's my initial stream of consciousness. I may or may not have more organized thoughts later.

(509)Rat

Quote from: blackhawks4 on February 27, 2015, 12:40:48 AM
On a side note...let's not forget
07/08:  1-15 / 5-17
09/10:       5-11/  9-16 (Bridgeland's 2nd year)
12/13:       12-4 / 19-8
14/15:       14-2 / 20-6

Sure, conveniently leave out that they were 5-11 the two years before they crapped the bed for a single season and Bridgeland came in. Meaning Bridgeland's 2nd year wasn't out of the norm for this program. Oh, and then we'll fudge some more and leave out the 2 seasons where they finished 11-5 (because staying at 11-5 for 2 years and then only improving by 1 game to 12-4 doesn't look as good as what you posted). Let's also leave out that they regressed (worse than being "stuck" which was your big gripe about Whitworth) in 13/14...

This is exactly what I'm talking about in my last post. Please just stay far, far away from numbers and facts. You aren't very good with them or at least not sly enough to manipulate them without others noticing. Not to mention the fact that we would all agree Bridgeland is one of the best coaches in the conferences, no need to embellish his or his team's abilities to get any of us to admit that. 

Pinecone_Curtain

Quote from: (509)Rat on February 27, 2015, 12:48:44 AM
If blackhawks would stick to giving us insight on Whitman (scouting reports, gameplans, game recaps, etc) and some game/league standing predictions, he would be a fantastic poster. Its the whole, post a bunch of factually incorrect garbage that makes him unlikeable sometimes.

Death, taxes, and Blackhawk making baseless claims about WM winning that never come true. This may be overkill, but after all the talking Blackhawk does, I don't care. Loved that Whitworth won tonight, LOVED that Whitman lost tonight.

Should be a good game Saturday. Hopefully Whitworth takes care of business as usual. I think at this point Whitworth is probably into the tournament either way. If they win, they're the only NWC team in. If they lose, they probably host LC in the 1st round--or the LC/SCIAC winner. Can't imagine the #16 team not in right? Right...?

blackhawks4

Quote from: (509)Rat on February 27, 2015, 12:48:44 AM

Well that's not going to happen...

Quote from: (509)Rat on February 27, 2015, 01:06:27 AM
Sure, conveniently leave out that they were 5-11 the two years before they crapped the bed for a single season and Bridgeland came in. Meaning Bridgeland's 2nd year wasn't out of the norm for this program.

They were 1-15 the year before he arrived.  You are aware that players graduate every 4 years, right Rat?  This argument doesn't even make sense.  Read it back once, you're a smart guy.

Quote from: (509)Rat on February 27, 2015, 01:06:27 AM
This is exactly what I'm talking about in my last post. Please just stay far, far away from numbers and facts. You aren't very good with them or at least not sly enough to manipulate them without others noticing.

Sorry, were the numbers I posted not factual?  I even included seasons.  If we were in grade school and we were drawing graphs, WMN's would be going up.  My gripe with WW has always been that they're not a national level team after 7 years of winning it.  I can't recall, it must have been A Buc, who seems to have some logic, who pointed out the trajectory of WW right before Hayford left, and a bit of a restart with Logie.  That was a very strong point.  I liked that.

Quote from: Pinecone_Curtain on February 27, 2015, 01:22:48 AM
This may be overkill, but after all the talking Blackhawk does, I don't care. Loved that Whitworth won tonight, LOVED that Whitman lost tonight.

We know, Pinecone, we know.

Quote from: Pinecone_Curtain on February 27, 2015, 01:22:48 AM
I think at this point Whitworth is probably into the tournament either way. If they win, they're the only NWC team in. If they lose, they probably host LC in the 1st round--or the LC/SCIAC winner. Can't imagine the #16 team not in right? Right...?

With how the NWC has matched up on a national level in past years, were you the committee, you'd give them an at large over the other western conferences??

Pinecone_Curtain

Quote from: blackhawks4 on February 27, 2015, 02:11:06 AM
My gripe with WW has always been that they're not a national level team after 7 years of winning it.  I can't recall, it must have been A Buc, who seems to have some logic, who pointed out the trajectory of WW right before Hayford left, and a bit of a restart with Logie.  That was a very strong point.  I liked that.

I think that was me.

Quote from: blackhawks4 on February 27, 2015, 02:11:06 AM
With how the NWC has matched up on a national level in past years, were you the committee, you'd give them an at large over the other western conferences??

Yeah, YOU might not think they're national quality, but you are not the lone voter (or even a voter). The #16 national ranking seems to tell me otherwise. Plus Whitworth will jump Whitman for sure in the regional rankings. Might even jump Buena Vista (West #3) who lost tonight too. I think it's entirely realistic that Whitworth ends the season as the #3 team in the west--good enough to host, I would think.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 27, 2015, 12:36:03 AM
Quote from: A Buc Forever on February 27, 2015, 12:23:21 AMWas anyone at the Whitman game?  The announcers said there was a possible fight in the stands.  Didn't think LC and WM fans would ever get fired up enough to actually fight with all that pot running around in their systems.

There's "fired up," and then there's fired up. ;)

Maybe they were fighting over said pot.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Greek Tragedy

The #16 ranking has absolutely no bearing on Whitworth's selection to the tourney. Pinecone has it right. It has to do with NCAA's REGIONAL RANKINGS. Not sure if Whitworth has enough to jump BV, if they lose. Actually would've been better for Whitworth if they lost to Whitman in the Final, improving their SOS and VRRO. If Whitworth loses, they could be in trouble. Their SOS is just plain embarrassing.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Whitman and Whitworth are in serious danger of not getting at large bids because a loss will do nothing to justify being ahead of Buena Vista. Those SOS numbers are not good this season.

The only way Whitworth finishes third in the region is if they win the AQ... and hosting has far less to do with where they are ranked and more with the fact Whitworth would host the SCIAC winner and then fly to wherever the bye team is located for the second round. Whitworth sure as heck isn't hosting a full pod.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

D O.C.

QuoteWhitworth sure as heck isn't hosting a full pod.
Well then, they can just fire up that pod.

steveflegel

Greek Tragedy, I wouldn't characterize the Whitworth SOS as embarrassing.  It is an unfortunate result of "best intentions."  Whitworth scheduled three teams with very recent history of success and NCAA tournament appearances.  But Trinity, Redlands and Marian are all having down years.  In the case of Trinity, this season is historically bad.  The irony is that if Whitworth had not followed the spirit of the NCAA guidelines by scheduling all non-conference Division III games, and had scheduled 3 or 4 Northwest NAIA schools instead, the SOS would be much higher.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Their SOS "might" be higher, not much higher... (conference tends to lead to a .500 in most double-round robin conferences) but their WL% would have less Ws making their wiggle room even finer.

As for their opponents... Trinity certainly has had a down year, but Redlands hasn't had any consistently good years in awhile:
2014-15 (7-18, 4-12 SCIAC)
2013-14 (11-14, 7-9 SCIAC)
2012-13 (22-6, 15-1 SCIAC)
2011-12 (13-13, 8-6 SCIAC)
2010-11 (16-12, 11-3 SCIAC)
2009-10 (12-13, 8-6 SCIAC)
2008-09 (10-15, 6-8 SCIAC)
2007-08 (10-15, 5-9 SCIAC)
2006-07 (17-7, 10-4 SCIAC)

And either has Marian:
2014-15 (11-15, 10-10 NACC)
2013-14 (22-7, 17-3 NACC)
2012-13 (15-11, 10-6 NATHC)
2011-12 (10-16, 7-9 NATHC)
2010-11 (4-21, 2-14 NATHC)
2009-10 (9-16, 6-10 NATHC)
2008-09 (11-15, 7-9 NATHC)
2007-08 (16-11, 12-6 NATHC)
2006-07 (13-12, 10-8 NATHC)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Pinecone_Curtain

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 27, 2015, 10:11:54 AM
Whitman and Whitworth are in serious danger of not getting at large bids because a loss will do nothing to justify being ahead of Buena Vista. Those SOS numbers are not good this season.

The only way Whitworth finishes third in the region is if they win the AQ... and hosting has far less to do with where they are ranked and more with the fact Whitworth would host the SCIAC winner and then fly to wherever the bye team is located for the second round. Whitworth sure as heck isn't hosting a full pod.

When I said hosting, I should have made it more clear: I think Whitworth will continue the tradition of hosting a SCIAC team. I doubt they host more than that. I wasn't saying they will (or even should) host an entire pod--just the West Coast game. I still think Whitworth will get in no matter what--if they lose tomorrow, I bet they host the winner of SCIAC/LC. If they win, then I bet they get either host a SCIAC team or get sent somewhere.

Dave, I would say Whitman is more than in serious danger of not getting an large bid. There's no way they are in at this point--unless something crazy happens. You can't lose to Pacific AND LC and still expect to get in--especially in the beautiful PNW.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Yeah... I'm just trying to allow for the outside chance... but I would agree, Whitworth could be done.

FYI... there is a chance the committee could ship the two only west coast teams somewhere instead of hosting at Whitworth. It will already result in two flights anyway... so if they fly them both to pods, it is the same expense. That would leave the bye to be used elsewhere. Watch Texas carefully (E. Texas Baptist is the wild card).

Pinecone_Curtain

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 27, 2015, 04:33:53 PM
Yeah... I'm just trying to allow for the outside chance... but I would agree, Whitworth could be done.

Whitworth or Whitman?

And, yeah, I could definitely see Whitworth not hosting at all if the cards fall as they might. But a win tomorrow helps.

Keandre

Big win for LC last night. No one has said much about them this year but they are scary to play because any of them can go off at any time. So, anyone have any thoughts on the WM coach leaving for another job somewhere else because he cannot seem to get over that hump in the playoffs? First round exits cannot sit well with him, especially the last 2 that were at home of all places.