Longest Home Winning Streak

Started by John Gleich, December 01, 2005, 12:51:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Hey, I didn't mean to imply it was your fault.  I just can't read.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

John Gleich

Any long-standing home winning streaks of note, possibly carrying over from last season that are still going this season?
UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2018, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich

WWWRHH

The Hope College Dutch (women) have a 17-0 winning streak at home and are undefeated in the DeVos Fieldhouse.  With the recent road victory over Wheaton -the only team to defeat them last year - their current winning streak was extended to 35 - 0. 

The team's ability to retain their composure in close games has been key to their success.  They have kept the record intact with a last second two point and a three point overtime victory this year.  Last year they won five games by 4 points or less, including two three point victories (Washington and Scranton) during the playoffs.

Although it can be dangerous to look too far ahead, with Tri-State and North Central next up on the schedule it seems likely that the winning streak can be extended to 37.  Both of these games are on the road.

Does any college bb team (in any division) have a longer current winning streak?

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

VA Wesleyan has a 17 game home winning streak dating back to their loss to Hamden-Sydney on November 30th of 2005 (which was also their last loss of any kind that season).

Amherst is riding a 14 game home winning streak right now as well.  They last lost to Trinity (CT) on January 14th of this year.

Lincoln hasn't lost at home since they played D2 Bowie State on Dec 9th 2004.  However, that only amounts to a 19 game home winning streak as Lincoln spent most of last season on the road.  They've got a good shot at extending this streak at least into the post-season this year as they have only seven home games remaining the entire season and only one of them (Rowan) appears to be all that difficult.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Just an update.  Amherst is up to 16 straight at home.

VA Wesleyan is at 19.

Lincoln is still alive at 21 straight home victories.

sac

Hope women currently have a 19 game HOME winning streak and a 43 game OVERALL streak going into tonights game at Olivet.  Have not lost since DeVos Fieldhouse opened.

Hope's men have won 30 straight HOME games going back to January 12, 2005.  Hope hosts Albion tonight, the last team to beat Hope in Holland.

They've won 24 in a row at the DeVos and won their last 6 at the Holland Civic Center.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

And as the current edition of Around the Nation tells us, Bowdoin's women are tops at 74 and counting.

sac

Wow that is an amazing streak Bowdoin has going, I liked the list of close call's to, sometimes forgotten when talking about long streaks.

Does the NCAA keep track of d3 winning streaks?  I would like to see the men's and women's all-time streaks and maybe we could compile the home win streaks ourselves.

atn alum

This is what the Bowdoin SID gave me...you can get most of this kind of thing in the ncaa record books, which are published online

All-Time NCAA Division III Men/Women
1)    88    Rust College
2)   80   William Smith
3)   74   Bowdoin College
4)    70   Washington U. (Mo.)
* Men's Division III Record is 64 consecutive home-court victories (Williams)

All-Time NCAA Women's Record (All Divisions)
1)    88   Rust College
2)   87   Nebraska-Kearney (D2)
3)   85   West Texas A&M (D2)
4)   80   William Smith
5)   74   Bowdoin College

All-Time NCAA Home-Court Winning Streak Record (All Divisions, Men/Women)
1)    129   Kentucky Men (D1)
2)    99   St. Bonaventure Men (D1)
3)    98   UCLA Men (D1)
4)    88   Rust College Women (D3)
5)   87   Nebraska-Kearney Women (D2)
6)   86   Cincinnati Men (D1)
7)   85   West Texas A&M Women (D2)
8)   81   Arizona Men (D1)
   81   Marquette (D1)
10)   80   William Smith Women (D3)   
   80   Lamar Men (D1)
   80   Philadelphia University Men (D2)
13)   75   Long Beach State Men (D1)
14)   74   Bowdoin College Women (D3)*

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Pioneer Hoops Fan

Unofficial stat adding the topic.  UW-Platteville men had a 96 game regular season home winning streak from 1991-2000.  Lost a couple of tough ones in the tourney, but nonetheless impressive.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Well the women's record has fallen.  See the front page.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

So what are we left with?

Bowdoin and Hope both had long streaks end recently.

It seems like the Scranton women are at 72 games right now without losing at home.  Is that right or did I miss one?  Their last loss was an OT loss to Desales February 15th 2001?  I'm counting playoff and tournament games played at home in this.  That's pretty impressive in it's own right, no?

It seems Southern Maine women are at 59 and counting as well, their last home loss coming to Bowdoin, December 2nd of 2003.

Stevens Point women appear to be at 22 right now.

On the men's side:

Lincoln is at 23 straight at home; VA Wesleyan is at 19 and Amherst is at 17.

atn alum

I'm told by the folks at Scranton that the home win streak is 55, not 72...looks like USM is the new leader, unless anyone else has info they want to share.

sac

Hope men are currently sitting on 31 straight at home.