FB: American Rivers Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doolittledog

Simpson names Jay Simmons new President.

http://simpson.edu/news-center/jay-simmons-named-simpson-colleges-23rd-president/

He had been the president at Iowa Wesleyan for the past 4 years. 

Could he become an advocate for Iowa Wesleyan eventually joining the IIAC? 

doolittledog

UD joins the list of Iowa schools with their own license plates.

https://www.facebook.com/udoaa/posts/10151425438643268

And I guess that makes all 8 IIAC schools with the plates now.

http://www.iowadot.gov/mvd/ovs/plates/private.htm

NewKnightDad

Quote from: D3Dutchman on December 15, 2012, 12:10:23 PM
Dvr'd the NC game from last night, and spending a bit of time watching it on a gloomy Saturday morning.  A few thoughts...

-While I get tired of seeing MUC in there, they really represent D3 well, as does STU.  Really a great brand of football. 

-Admittedly a D3 homer, but after watching this game compared to the Morningside game on Thursday night, I think MUC would roll either of those NAIA squads.  I know this is an age-old futile argument given that D3 and NAIA are apples and oranges for a lot of different reasons.  That said, I like to talk about it.  Some goofball was on the radio the other morning bashing D3 athletics and lauding his "scholarship" NAIA playing days after that Grinnell B-baller scored all of those points, and it really kind of ticked me off.  From a football perspective at least (because that is all I'm familiar with), I think top D3 programs are greater than top NAIA programs, but overall they are very similar.  Anyone have any perspective on that?

-Lastly, what is it going to take for a IIAC sqad to get to get over the hump?  We've had some teams that were close...00 Dutch, 07 Dutch, 03 Knights, some talented Kohawk teams.  Is there too much parody, are we spread too thin with so many small college programs in the state...both D3, NAIA, UIU, and Drake?

I had this same discussion/argument with a dad of a previous IIAC football player from Simpson Sunday.  I made the comment that I thought DIII could have won the NAIA title game but he disagreed, I think it had something to do with he was from the Sioux City area and wanted to defend Morningside.  I really believe that most years an IIAC team could have won that game, he really scoffed at that, then I told him I was just used to watching better DIII IIAC football than him and he said "yeah your right there"!   8-)
Win or lose we still booze!!

Desertraider

In truth I think that Mount, UMHB, Linfield, Wesley, and Wisconsin Oshkosh would have rolled either of the NAIA teams. I don't really follow the IIAC outside of Coe and Wartburg - but I would take either of them as well. The game (Marian v. Morningside) was not as ugly as the trophy they played for - but it was not impressive either.
RIP MUC57 - Go Everybody!
National Champions: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017
The Autumn Wind is a Raider!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzEYK_XjyLg
Immaculate Prevention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLq_acsVN0

DBQ1965

Quote from: doolittledog on December 17, 2012, 06:56:02 PM

If I was back living in Iowa, I would have one.

GO SPARTANS!
Reality is for those who lack imagination 😀

doolittledog

Quote from: DBQ1965 on December 18, 2012, 08:06:29 AM
Quote from: doolittledog on December 17, 2012, 06:56:02 PM

If I was back living in Iowa, I would have one.

GO SPARTANS!

I think I might have spied my wife sending a note to Santa on my behalf ;)

doolittledog

Quote from: NewKnightDad on December 17, 2012, 10:17:30 PM

I had this same discussion/argument with a dad of a previous IIAC football player from Simpson Sunday.  I made the comment that I thought DIII could have won the NAIA title game but he disagreed, I think it had something to do with he was from the Sioux City area and wanted to defend Morningside.  I really believe that most years an IIAC team could have won that game, he really scoffed at that, then I told him I was just used to watching better DIII IIAC football than him and he said "yeah your right there"!   8-)

Maybe this wouldn't have been the year for the IIAC, we were admittedly a bit down this year.  I was going to mention preseason scrimmages and how Grand View and William Penn easily handled Simpson and Central.  Then I remembered that UD beat UW-Stout in a preseason scrimmage...only to get smoked during the season by UW-Platteville and UW-Stevens Point, while UW-Stout went on to win the WIAC and make it to the D3 Semi-finals. 

With all the defections from the NAIA over to the NCAA, the NAIA is really starting to get watered down.  Recent NAIA teams to move over to D2 have done well...Sioux Falls and Lindenwood went 9-2 and 8-3 this year.  But with yearly losses of top 10 NAIA programs to the NCAA have now started to show.  That Morningside/Marion game just did not look like previous years NAIA title games.  The Mt Union/St Thomas game looked very good.  Possibly the D3 game had better production being on ESPN while the NAIA game was on CBSSportsNet and that had something to do with it. 

Pat Coleman

Quote from: doolittledog on December 18, 2012, 08:23:07 AM
Maybe this wouldn't have been the year for the IIAC, we were admittedly a bit down this year.  I was going to mention preseason scrimmages and how Grand View and William Penn easily handled Simpson and Central.  Then I remembered that UD beat UW-Stout in a preseason scrimmage...only to get smoked during the season by UW-Platteville and UW-Stevens Point, while UW-Stout went on to win the WIAC and make it to the D3 Semi-finals. 

Great analogy except a scrimmage is a scrimmage and it was Oshkosh who made it to the semifinals, while UW-Stout went 3-7.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

doolittledog

Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 18, 2012, 11:06:14 AM

Great analogy except a scrimmage is a scrimmage and it was Oshkosh who made it to the semifinals, while UW-Stout went 3-7.

That's what I was getting at...a scrimmage is a scrimmage.  And it was Oshkosh that Dubuque scrimmaged.  I wrote it wrong this morning.  Maybe I had beer on my mind ;)

5 Words or Less

Quote from: doolittledog on December 18, 2012, 12:05:42 PM

That's what I was getting at...a scrimmage is a scrimmage.  And it was Oshkosh that Dubuque scrimmaged.  I wrote it wrong this morning.  Maybe I had beer on my mind ;)

... or license plate monicers

• SPARDOG
    • UDPRMAN
    • GO UD
    • MRSDDWON
    [/list]

Pat Coleman

Long way to go for a scrimmage! And nothing wrong with having beer on the mind. I know I do. :)
    Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
    Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

NewKnightDad

Quote from: 5 Words or Less on December 18, 2012, 01:27:01 PM

... or license plate monicers

• SPARDOG
      • UDPRMAN
      • GO UD
      • MRSDDWON
      [/list]

My vote is for SPARDOG
      Win or lose we still booze!!

D3Dutchman

Mmmm, beer.  Just finished a frothy Hofbrau mysfelf.  It was yummy.  Anyway, I did hear the Dutch got handled by Billy P in the scrimmage this year.  Who knows what to think about scrimmages, but I would venture to say that the Central team that played in that scrimmage didn't resemble in any way the team that finished off the year.  I would agree though, that this may not have been the best year to say that a IIAC could have competed in the NAIA NC game (might have been accurate in the past though).  I just wasn't impressed, and would certainly say that MUC or STU would have handled either team 8 or 9 times out of 10.  We will never know for sure.  Just fun to speculate.  A couple of things are for sure though.  1)That NAIA trophy was a train wreck.  Looked like a junior high shop project gone wrong.  Hey...find an old helmet and some silver spray paint... ;D  2)NAIA assertion that their brand of football is better than DIII at the highest level is laughable. 

doolittledog

Former Wartburg coach Bob Nielson (and alum?) named HC at FCS Western Illinois...

http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/College-Football/2012/12/19/Western-Illinois-hires-Nielson-as-coach/UPI-30981355938491/

In his 10 years at D2 Minnesota-Duluth his teams won 100 games, 5 NSIC conference titles, and 2 national championships. 

warthog

Quote from: doolittledog on December 19, 2012, 02:19:58 PM
      Former Wartburg coach Bob Nielson (and alum?) named HC at FCS Western Illinois...

http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/College-Football/2012/12/19/Western-Illinois-hires-Nielson-as-coach/UPI-30981355938491/

In his 10 years at D2 Minnesota-Duluth his teams won 100 games, 5 NSIC conference titles, and 2 national championships.

Yes, doolittle, he is former Knight head coach and player.  The last team he recruited for the Knights was that group that ended up being the undefeated regular season team in 1999.
      BE ORANGE