FB: New York State Bowl

Started by Bartman, November 01, 2017, 01:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bartman

All right, I have never started a topic before...so I hope I am doing this right....Before the 11/4 weekend there are 4 teams from the Liberty League(Union, Ithaca,RPI and Hobart ) and 6 teams from the E8 (Brockport, Alfred,Cortland,Hartwick,Utica and St.John Fisher) that can finish in second place , or tied for second place in their respective leagues and represent themselves in the Inaugural New York State Bowl(not totally sure on tie breakers)....there are 2 very interesting scenarios in each league where I think it is possible if Union and Brockport win out, that second place could be a three way tie at 3-2 in the LL and a 5 way tie in the E8 at 4-3, and tie breaker hell unfolds ???....in any event, my question is who do you think will be in the NYS Bowl, played at the LL participant's home field?

My guess is Alfred(5-2 in E8) vs. Hobart(3-2 in LL) at the Boz ( I need Union to win out)
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

ITH radio

I think it's technically called the "Empire State" Bowl, but regardless, we did get some info from LL Commissioner Tracy King recently and talked about it on our last episode.

Short version is it's not required for the schools to play, i.e., they can opt out (e.g., if it ended up being Cortaca Part II), meaning another team could luck into the bid.

Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

Bombers798891

I think Cortland will beat Utica, and finish second after Brockport whips Alfred. The LL will be an unbridled mess, and is not worth predicting (for me) until I see how the Union/IC game shakes out.

Here's what I think would be the best case/worst case scenario for the concept itself. (This is not a commentary on the quality of teams)

Best case scenario: Cortaca II, and everyone cares. Look, if you want to get momentum behind a series like this, you need buzz and a crowd. There's no other matchup that has the potential ceiling of Cortaca II, simply because it's the only E8/LL game that could draw 8,000 people. On the other hand...

Worst case scenario: Cortaca II, and nobody cares. Look, maybe I'm the only one who thinks this way, but if I were the organizer, my main fear would be that, because there's already so much crossover between the two conferences, you have a hard time convincing anyone this game is more important than a regular season game. But if you can't get the students pumped up to do this two weeks in a row—and remember, IC starts Thanksgiving break the Friday before—you run the risk of it looking like it's less important than the regular season game. If 1,250 people show up the week after we have an overflow crowd, that's just going to be hard to spin.

Best case scenario, this season: Union/Alfred. Here's what I'd want if I were the brains behind this series. On the LL, you have a program with a storied history having a rebound season for the ages. I'd have to think, just two years removed from an 0-10 season, the Union fanbase/program would be beyond pumped to be playing in a postseason game—even though it would mean losing out on the chance to be the Pool A. This is a program with a strong history, that's on the rebound. And on the E8 side, you have arguably the most steadily successful team in the conference these past 10-12 years.

EDIT: ITH brings up what would be the worst scenario. Any team opting out would be a bad look. Could it happen? Maybe. Teams have declined to participate in ECAC games.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Bartman on November 01, 2017, 01:24:58 PM
All right, I have never started a topic before...so I hope I am doing this right.

I just changed the title. No worries. Thanks for starting the topic!
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

UfanBill

Here in upstate New York (and yes ALL the E8 and LL teams are now "upstate") we have a fan friendly football facility that could hold a ton of fans if a " Empire State" bowl ever really catches on. It's called the Carrier Dome and is conveniently located right in the middle of both E8 and LL land. Wouldn't it be great if the two leagues could promote and foster a bowl game that would garner so much attention and support that staging it at the "Dome" could be a reality? Who wouldn't want to see 10,000+ D3 football fans cheering for the purist form of college football in the comfy confines of the Carrier Dome.
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

fisheralum91

Quote from: UfanBill on November 02, 2017, 01:40:56 AM
Here in upstate New York (and yes ALL the E8 and LL teams are now "upstate") we have a fan friendly football facility that could hold a ton of fans if a " Empire State" bowl ever really catches on. It's called the Carrier Dome and is conveniently located right in the middle of both E8 and LL land. Wouldn't it be great if the two leagues could promote and foster a bowl game that would garner so much attention and support that staging it at the "Dome" could be a reality? Who wouldn't want to see 10,000+ D3 football fans cheering for the purist form of college football in the comfy confines of the Carrier Dome.

Now this is a friggin great idea!
+k!

Bombers798891

I mean, it'd be awesome, but I don't think there's a cross conference matchup that would generate that kind of excitement to inspire two fan bases to travel in those numbers

fisheralum91

So schedule back to back games
one at noon
one at 5?

4 teams
4 fan bases
1 central location

Hell the Dome hosts the Section III football championships and you dont see 10000 ppl there

Bartman

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 01, 2017, 03:09:58 PM
All right, I have never started a topic before...so I hope I am doing this right.

Pat,
    Then why when they announced the bowl...it was the New York State Bowl?....naming it the Empire State Bowl would seem prejudicial towards the Empire 8 Conference , as this would imply it is their State, their League and Their Bowl....if it is called the Empire State(rhymes with Empire 8) Bowl, I think the Liberty League should take a pass...we will not accept such subliminal domination >:(
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Bartman

Quote from: fisheralum91 on November 02, 2017, 08:57:53 AM
So schedule back to back games
one at noon
one at 5?

4 teams
4 fan bases
1 central location

Hell the Dome hosts the Section III football championships and you dont see 10000 ppl there
I think our friends at SU may charge more for the rental of the Dome than we may get in ticket sales, but ,hey it might be cool and it is a central location.......or, in the years that Syracuse does not qualify for a bowl, we could challenge them with an E8/LL All Star team ;D
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

fisheralum91

Quote from: Bartman on November 02, 2017, 09:02:08 AM

Pat,
    Then why when they announced the bowl...it was the New York State Bowl?....naming it the Empire State Bowl would seem prejudicial towards the Empire 8 Conference , as this would imply it is their State, their League and Their Bowl....if it is called the Empire State(rhymes with Empire 8) Bowl, I think the Liberty League should take a pass...we will not accept such subliminal domination >:(

Isnt the "Liberty Bowl" moniker taken?

;D

Bartman

Quote from: Bartman on November 02, 2017, 09:02:08 AM

Pat,
Oh , and one more thing...the Cornell-Columbia game is already called the Empire State Bowl and they have an Empire Cup.....methinks copying the lowly Ivy League is not appropriate branding.....
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

Bombers798891

I think the issues present with this game are just going to exist no matter what you do:

1. Teams can opt out, which is never a good look
2. The two conferences play too many games against each other in the regular season, which kills the novelty angle
3. The game's premise—a postseason game where the year ends even if you win it—really only appeals to diehard fans (like us).

Bartman

Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath