IIAC 2017 (Men's Soccer)

Started by d3soccerfreak, August 14, 2017, 08:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d3soccerfreak

Quote from: Dubuquer on October 20, 2017, 09:49:00 AM
Loras is starting to look like I thought they would at the beginning of the season.  They put a lot of skill on the field, with perhaps more individual skill top to bottom than I've seen from their top 18 players in the last 9 years of watching.  They are starting to look like a more cohesive group, too, and are playing with confidence.  Obviously, given their miscues in the first half of the season, they have to win the conference tournament to get to NCAAs but if that happens they could be dangerous in November as they are not the same team they were at the start of the season.

I have to agree with you. I watched the game last night from online, and Loras looked a lot better. I think Loras could be a very dangerous team in November. Do you think if Loras wins the conference, Simpson or Luther could get an at-large bid into the NCAA Tournament?

d3soccerfreak

IIAC Standings as of 10/20/2017 (D3Soccer.com has the incorrect standings)

Luther, 5-1 (9-4-3)....Remaining: v Central, at Dubuque
Simpson, 4-2 (13-2-1)....Remaining: v Wartburg, at Coe
Loras, 4-2 (9-5)...Remaining: v Coe, v St. Scholastica, at Central
Nebraska Wesleyan, 4-3 (9-6-1)....Remaining: v Buena Vista
Dubuque, 3-2-1 (7-5-2)....Remaining: at Buena Vista, v Luther
Wartburg, 3-3-1 (8-4-3)....Remaining: at Simpson, at Wisconsin-Platteville
Central, 3-3 (10-4)....Remaining: at Luther, v Loras
Buena Vista, 1-5 (4-11-1)....Remaining: v Dubuque, at Nebraska Wesleyan
Coe, 0-6 (3-11)....Remaining: at Loras, v Simpson, v Cornell

d3soccerfreak

I am impressed with Loras. Ever since their loss to NWU, they have come alive. They crushed St. Scholastica today 3-0!

doolittledog

Conference play from the weekend...

10/21
Central 2-3 Luther
Coe 0-2 Loras
Dubuque 3-0 BVU

10/22
Wartburg 1-1 Simpson

Standings...
Luther  6-1-0  (10-4-3)
Loras  5-2-0  (11-5-0)
Simpson 4-2-1  (13-2-2)
Dubuque 4-2-1  (8-5-2)
Neb Wes 4-3-0  (9-6-1)
Wartburg 3-3-2 (8-4-4)
Central  3-4-0  (10-5-0)
Buena V  1-6-0 (4-12-1)
Coe Coll  0-7-0  (3-12-0)

10-24 conference games...
Loras @ Central
BVU @ NWU
Simpson @ Coe
Luther @ Dubuque

BV and Coe are the only two teams that have no business in the conference tourney
Central looks to be the odd team out, but who knows with this year and they are at home
Spartan fan dilemma - Want to close out conference play with a win...but doing so would mean Loras would likely tie for the conference title  ;D
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

Alfredeneumann

Quote from: doolittledog on October 22, 2017, 10:36:30 PM
Conference play from the weekend...

10/21
Central 2-3 Luther
Coe 0-2 Loras
Dubuque 3-0 BVU

10/22
Wartburg 1-1 Simpson

Standings...
Luther  6-1-0  (10-4-3)
Loras  5-2-0  (11-5-0)
Simpson 4-2-1  (13-2-2)
Dubuque 4-2-1  (8-5-2)
Neb Wes 4-3-0  (9-6-1)
Wartburg 3-3-2 (8-4-4)
Central  3-4-0  (10-5-0)
Buena V  1-6-0 (4-12-1)
Coe Coll  0-7-0  (3-12-0)

10-24 conference games...
Loras @ Central
BVU @ NWU
Simpson @ Coe
Luther @ Dubuque

BV and Coe are the only two teams that have no business in the conference tourney
Central looks to be the odd team out, but who knows with this year and they are at home
Spartan fan dilemma - Want to close out conference play with a win...but doing so would mean Loras would likely tie for the conference title  ;D

Wartburg is in the odd position of cheering for Loras tomorrow. Duhawks beat or tie the Dutch, Knights make IIAC tournament.
Aaron Kampman on Coach Ed Thomas
I believe his greatest legacy comes not in how many football games he won or lost but in the fact that he was a committed follower of Jesus Christ.

Dubuquer

I wasn't sure what to think of Loras' schedule with 6 games in 9 days to close out the regular season, but outside of the OT battle against Wartburg the Duhawk bench has gotten to play a lot of minutes, which will only benefit the team in the tournament(s) and next year.  It's not often you see a third stringer come on and take a defender on with an almost-successful rainbow.  Hopefully the Loras legs aren't too tired tomorrow vs Central.  As a Luther grad and Loras fan it's not often that I cheer for UD but tomorrow is one of those days.  With the way Loras is playing right now they deserve a share of the IIAC title.

d3soccerfreak

Well, it looks like the seeds are in for IIAC playoffs my friends.

#1 - Luther
#2 - Loras
#3 - Simpson
#4 - Nebraska Wesleyan
#5 - Dubuque
#6 - Wartburg

Quarterfinals (Oct. 28)
#5 Dubuque at #4 Nebraska Wesleyan
#6 Wartburg at #3 Simpson

Should be some good quarterfinal games

d3soccerfreak

Saturday's IIAC playoff games:

NWU v Dubuque at 2 PM
Simpson v Wartburg at 7 PM

d3soccerfreak

Simpson 3, Wartburg 1
Nebraska Wesleyan 2, Dubuque 0

Simpson advances to play Loras
Nebraska Wesleyan advances to play Luther

KingDuhawk

Luther, 2
NWU, 0

Loras, 3
Simpson, 0

IIAC Tournament Championship
Saturday, Nov. 4 - 6pm - Decorah

Didn't have eyes on Luther/NWU, so I can't comment on that.

Loras rolled pretty easily to ninth straight W. Simpson own goal put them behind early and Loras added a second about 15 minutes later.

Should be a good battle on Saturday, but I say Loras-2, Luther-0.

Dubuquer

Last night's Loras vs Simpson game seemed closer than the score indicated and the statistics show a pretty even game.  Duhawks looked good through the first 25 minutes but then it seemed Simpson had Loras on their heels for quite a while and I can vouch that Duhawk parents were nervous, especially every time Simpson's Pochop had the ball.  After the Histed header put the Duhawks up 3-0 everyone relaxed a bit.  Players of the game for me were Peterson, Bruns and Pacholski.  The Pacholski-Pochop battle was a classic and it's impressive that Pacholski man-marked Pochop again and kept him scoreless in both games this season. 

I watched the UD-Luther game last week and have to give the edge on Saturday to Loras however Luther will be wanting revenge for their earlier loss and it's never easy to beat a quality side twice in a year.  Should be a good battle in Decorah for the IIAC automatic bid!

In an aside, interesting news emerged last week that Dubuque will be home to a new UPSL team beginning in the spring: https://www.uniondfc.com/news/upslannouncement  It will be interesting to see the makeup of that team and whether there are former (and/or current?) UD and Loras (or other IIAC) players on the roster.  I know there are some recent graduates still around the area who might be interested in playing.

blooter442

What in the world is this camera work at Luther? The hosts had a direct kick to potentially win it and the goal wasn't even visible throughout the entire setting up and taking of the kick.

blooter442

Luther with a corner...big shout for a handball but nothing given. Time winding down in 2OT.

Mr.Right

PK's?  Like to end my night on some drama

blooter442

Loras 3-1 over Luther in the shootout. Rumor has it the last pen is still flying to Mars.