Liberty League

Started by Pat Cummings, March 01, 2005, 07:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Cummings

FYI

The NCAA in association with D3hoops.com will be webcasting the audio from Thursday's Union/Gwynedd Mercy game.  The audio page on D3hoops will link to NCAAsports.com for the links to the broadcast.  I'll be on the call.  Hope you can tune in.

j2theb

will any other ll teams have a shot at the postseason, or is the league's aq the only one?

hopefan

That question was put to rest on Monday - Skidmore and Hobart will go to the Upstate ECAC tourney starting tonight.  Hamilton was left out (perhaps they declined?) and RPI disappointingly was uninvited, to an Ithaca team with a .500 record for the 8th and final spot.  The ECAC tourney is a regional only tourney - 8 teams this week in the Upstate - there are 4 regional tourneys, but the 4 winners do not play on.
Obviously Union is the LL's only NCAA bid.
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

John "No Nickname Needed" McGraw

Actually Hobart is forced to play Plattsburgh this afternoon in Geneva because their women's team opens up play tonight in the NCAA Tournament against Washington and Jefferson at 7:00pm. So the Plattsburgh-'Bart game is at 3:00pm.

j2theb

hmm - i think the plays of the week was from the Union-Hobart game.  i saw the highlight from the last shot was shown on the local news last night out here in los angeles.

good luck against the port - go bart!

ucaafan

actually it was the Union-Hamilton game where Union's guy hit the three pointer right before the half. Good luck to all the Liberty League teams still playing!

j2theb

hobart up 42-40 at the half.  beating bport by 3pters and turnovers so far.  statesmen only shooting 43% from the floor otherwise.

j2theb

shows you i haven't been paying attention!  hobart is playing plattsburgh!  

hobart currently up 7 with about 6 mins to play

j2theb

looks like this one's in the books - hobart 88 - plattsburgh 74.  congrats hobart!  

after playing close for most of the game, bart began to run away around 6 mins to play.  never lead by less than 8.

flacke leads the statesmen with 24 pts.  3 other statesmen had double digits in this one (would have had 5 total if mastro got 1 more pt for hobart).  gibbs from platts lead all scorers with 30.

stats of the game (my opinion) -  

plattsburgh - 21.7% (5/23) from 3pts, 20 turnovers committed
hobart - 12 steals, 43.8% (7/16) from 3 pts, 78.1% from the FT line (25/32)

interesting to note that plattsburgh out rebounded hobart 42 to 33 and lost by 14!

Caz Bombers

Hopefan, it should be no surprise that Ithaca was chosen over RPI.  IC's SOSI was 8.591 to RPI's 8.500, and Ithaca had five games against St. John Fisher and RIT (not to mention Potsdam)when RPI played nobody nearly as good. Both lost by about 7 pts to Buena Vista.

RPI went 1-3 against Clarkson and St. Lawrence. Nobody who does that should go to any postseason, frankly.

hopefan

Caz, I'll take your positives with Ithaca, However, can come back with the fact that RPI swept LL tourney winner Union, and swept LL conference winner Hobart.  Ithaca Playing 2 good teams and going 0-5 is unimpressive, RPI beating good teams shows potential.  Unfortunately RPI was horrible against teams they should have beaten this season, so I understand your comment regarding RPI's losses to SLU and Clarkson.  In fact, as I now examine Ithaca's record, about the only feather in their cap was beating Cortland twice - not much else to brag about.  (And their performance last night adds to the argument) Well it's in the past..
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Pat Coleman

Just a reminder that the Gwynedd-Mercy/Union game tonight will be webcast by the NCAA using D3hoops.com personnel. http://www.d3hoops.com/audio" target=_top>http://www.d3hoops.com/audio for more information.

unbearable

Congrats to Union on their NCAA win! Go Dutchmen.  Now if you could please take out U of R, that would be most helpful.
Gee, I'm real sorry your mom blew up, Ricky. - Lane Myer

Unionbball

Just saw the Dutchmen beat Gwynedd-Mercy 84-70.  Congrats to the other LL teams that won, but Union is the real story tonight.
After what many of you called a lackluster regular season, the Dutchmen have flicked on that switch and  are playing the best ball of their season.  They contained the All American Gaye, and against hit three pointers.  They did not fold under the Griffins pressure, and really controlled throughout.

U of R will provide a true true test