MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WUPHF

Quote from: AndOne on April 04, 2014, 01:00:27 AM
[...] under the theory of the most expensive school naturally and automatically being the best, ordained that his son attend the most costly of the 3 finalists.

This theory has long been embraced by both the wealth and the poor and everyone in between.

Otherwise, I'll try to find my source for the discount rate for Illinois institutions.  I think Milliken is actually the cheapest CCIW school for the average student.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: iwu70 on April 04, 2014, 02:05:13 AMGreg Dude Sir, you are just wrong.  I wonder sometimes if you actually read what I write

It's not always easy. ;D

Quote from: iwu70 on April 04, 2014, 02:05:13 AMas I gave an example of a donor from China to IWU just yesterday who used foreign currency to make his donation -- with bills not with American Presidents or British Royalty pictured on said bills.

And does said Chinese donor read d3boards.com? And does he donate in dollars? Please note what I said:

Quote from: Gregory Sager on April 03, 2014, 03:13:14 PMDude, you're just being silly here. I'll bet all the corn in Manito that, except for you, nobody who reads d3boards.com who has ever had any intention of donating money to Illinois Wesleyan University uses any form of dollar other than United States legal tender -- with the remote-but-possible exception of some stray Canadian who is well aware that an American who uses the term "dollar" is always referring to money that has American presidents on it rather than British royalty.

While I would be surprised and pleased to learn that there are professional photographers in China who read this website, I'll up my bet -- all the kumquats in Dade City, FL, as well as all the corn in Manito -- that there aren't any, including your anonymous IWU co-alumnus.

Furthermore, your shutterbug friend from the Middle Kingdom didn't donate to IWU in dollars of any national denomination, as you yourself have already said:

Quote from: iwu70 on April 03, 2014, 01:27:33 AMOne international alum in China, a superb photography, agreed to sell some of his photo works and donate the proceeds, yes, in renminbi or Chinese Yuan, to IWU for student scholarship support.

... and the whole original point was that it was silly of you to go to the trouble of identifying, on an American website about American college basketball, American currency donated to an American school by an American benefactor as "US$".

I wonder sometimes if you actually read what I write. ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

Quote from: WUH on April 04, 2014, 03:32:43 PM
Quote from: AndOne on April 04, 2014, 01:00:27 AM
[...] under the theory of the most expensive school naturally and automatically being the best, ordained that his son attend the most costly of the 3 finalists.

This theory has long been embraced by both the wealth and the poor and everyone in between.

Otherwise, I'll try to find my source for the discount rate for Illinois institutions.  I think Milliken is actually the cheapest CCIW school for the average student.

I'm not disputing your statement, WUH, but I am curious as to your source. Is it online?
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

AndOne

Just finished reading an article in today's paper regarding the D1 tournament in general, and tonight's D1 semi-final games in particular. It served as a reminder of why I, and I suspect many other fans, am drawn to sports on the D3 level, especially basketball and football which I follow the most closely.

While I, and I suspect many other D3 fans, have a favorite D1 team or two, I find it pretty hard to become too invested in teams who frequently operate in the "one and done" mode, and whose top players are often gone before we really get a chance to become either very familiar with or very attached to.

Its a lot more fun, and a lot more interesting to have top players around for four years. Guys like Gamble, Kmiec, Peters, Haynes, Kelly, Davis, Ziemnik, and Sanford, among others, whose development and exploits can bring both joy and pain over the course of their 4 year college careers. While we likely aren't the biggest fans of most of the opposing players, and certainly don't/can't root for their respective teams, they draw our interest, keep us entertained, and reinforce the thought that sports on the D3 level, while primarily local as opposed to national in scope, is what the true college experience should be---a career as opposed to a pit stop.

Again, not to toot my own horn, but I suspect many other CCIW posters have at least fairly corresponding views. I sense many posters in other top conference rooms like the WIAC, and the NESCAC, might feel the same way.   :)

bopol

I used to watch more mid-major D1 because the kids hung around, but I've noticed that lately, they don't as much.  Now, they aren't going pro, but so many are coming in and then leaving the program because they don't fit/don't like the coach/don't get to play/didn't develop as expected, that even at that level it isn't the same.  So you get a lot of junior college transfer who are only there 2 years.

And the coaches leave very fast.  The churn at the top of D1 is now so fast that mid-major coaches with only moderate success don't hang around long (see Jim Christian of Ohio for some really significant bouncing around in the last decade).

I'm only finding I like minor sports (golf in particular) better as I get older. 

AndOne

Tonight's D1 championship game will pit the UProb (as in Probation) Huskies of Storrs, CT against the U of One-And-Done Wildcats of Lexington, KY.  ;)  :(
Neither state university will start any players from inside their respective state boundaries.  :o

AppletonRocks

Quote from: AndOne on April 07, 2014, 05:25:55 PM
Tonight's D1 championship game will pit the UProb (as in Probation) Huskies of Storrs, CT against the U of One-And-Done Wildcats of Lexington, KY.  ;)  :(
Neither state university will start any players from inside their respective state boundaries.  :o

But someone will have attainment ;) of a trophy.  After all, these are honor students according to Calipari.   ;D
Run the floor or Run DMC !!

2016 WIAC Pick 'Em Board Champion

bbfan44

At halftime, UConn has 3 fouls and Ky has 7, one of which was with two seconds left.  These guys are big and fast with a lot of banging and guarding going on.
CCIW ref's please take note that you don't have to blow your whistle every trip down the court.....

bbfan44

Got the teams and fouls reversed, but the point remains.

Mr. Ypsi

So, the U of Academic Probation defeated the U of Blow Off Freshman Year Then Go Pro, 60-54.  I hope the university presidents are really proud of their basketball teams. ::)

I had no interest whatsoever in the game.  I'll stick with D3 unless U of Michigan (my graduate alma mater) makes the title game (they keep players at least two years, and a majority of the starters actually graduate - what a concept!  And most of those leaving early DO eventually graduate).

iwu70

DI = development league for the NBA.  Pretty sad the relationship between the purposes of higher education and DI men's basketball these days.

Guess the UCONN women have a chance to make it a double for UCONN.

Big loss for the IWU community -- longtime Professor, key university and community leader, Professor Wendell Hess, RIP, at age 79.  He will be greatly missed.  A true gentleman and a scholar -- always leading and supporting IWU's development and future, very generous, always student-friendly. 

IWU70 

bbfan44

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on April 07, 2014, 11:36:56 PM
So, the U of Academic Probation defeated the U of Blow Off Freshman Year Then Go Pro, 60-54.  I hope the university presidents are really proud of their basketball teams. ::)

I had no interest whatsoever in the game.  I'll stick with D3 unless U of Michigan (my graduate alma mater) makes the title game (they keep players at least two years, and a majority of the starters actually graduate - what a concept!  And most of those leaving early DO eventually graduate).
I'm sure they're very proud to be cashing the checks.  Even your Michigan kids will benefit greatly because Wisconsin did so well.  Time to pay the players some of the Billions the NCAA is raking in off of TV and sportsware, etc.  I know that the argument is the kids get tuition.  Give me a break.  Think about what the "gate" was for the final four alone.  Lot's of tuitions, for sure.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on April 07, 2014, 11:36:56 PM

I had no interest whatsoever in the game.  I'll stick with D3 unless [snip]

I'm right with you, Chuck, except for the "unless" and everything that follows after it. I don't even pay attention to the D1 team of my youth, Syracuse, anymore. (I'm probably not welcome to return to Central New York anytime soon after putting those words on the Internet.) Make all of the protests on behalf of your Wolverines as you like, but you know that they're just as tainted as the rest of them. After all, how many other D1 schools ever had to vacate an NIT title, a Big Ten tourney title, and four D1 tourney appearances (including a Final Four) due to a massive booster-payments rules violation?

I'm not saying that Michigan is any more unsavory that UConn or Kentucky or anybody else on that level. I'm simply saying that you don't really have a fig leaf if you're trying to insist that Michigan is somehow ethically different than the other D1 behemoths.

The purist in me says, "A pox on all their houses!", except that:

Quote from: bbfan44 on April 08, 2014, 08:11:43 AM
I'm sure they're very proud to be cashing the checks.  Even your Michigan kids will benefit greatly because Wisconsin did so well.  Time to pay the players some of the Billions the NCAA is raking in off of TV and sportsware, etc.  I know that the argument is the kids get tuition.  Give me a break.  Think about what the "gate" was for the final four alone.  Lot's of tuitions, for sure.

... the unfortunate truth of the matter is that we D3ers are completely beholden to the D1 men's basketball tourney (and to D1 football). The money that makes all of our D3 national tourneys and meets possible comes out of the NCAA's television revenue from those two sources of mass entertainment. So even a D3 purist like me has to hope that lots and lots of people keep watching NCAA football and the Big Dance on TV. I've just gotten to the point where I don't want to be one of those viewers anymore.

Mr. Ypsi

Greg, yeah, I'm well aware of the Chris Webber, et. al., scandal - I wasn't playing a 'holier than thou' card in general; but specifically as to academics, most of the Michigan bball players are far closer to student-athletes than any of at least the starters at UConn or Kentucky (unless Shabazz Napier is an exception and UConn's probation was due to others).  The cynic (realist?) in me says that not one of the UK one-and-done players has attended a class in months, and stayed eligible by taking totally Mickey Mouse courses fall term.

I still (somewhat) follow UM because I went there, and because (living less than ten miles from campus) we are absolutely inundated with coverage about them.  Although my professional ties are vastly more lengthy at EMU, I pretty much ignore them because they get very little coverage and because my termination there left such a bitter taste (and ever since Earl Boykins graduated, they suck! :P).

AO

Quote from: Gregory Sager on April 08, 2014, 05:12:37 PM
Make all of the protests on behalf of your Wolverines as you like, but you know that they're just as tainted as the rest of them. After all, how many other D1 schools ever had to vacate an NIT title, a Big Ten tourney title, and four D1 tourney appearances (including a Final Four) due to a massive booster-payments rules violation?
My Gophers had very similar penalties for their academic fraud.  I could care less what the record books say, they didn't cheat to recruit the players as Michigan did or give them steroids. 

I really don't care how well the kids are doing in class.  If LeBron doesn't want to take calculus I'm not going to force him.  I'm similarly not impressed by "student-athletes" who are praised for staying eligible in their phy-ed program.  Does another student who works nights as a cafeteria worker have to be suspended from his job if he didn't get a 2.0 last semester?  D1 hasn't been amateur for quite some time, appreciate it for what it is.