FB: American Rivers Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IowaCityDad

I can't tell you how much we appreciate everyone's thoughtful advice.  My parents were/are farmers in Southern Iowa, and really didn't give me much direction other than "we'll support wherever you want to go".  That is not a knock on them, as they are fantastic parents... they just didn't know.  My counselors in HS also weren't much help.  I was accepted at Iowa State to pursue engineering, but then attended an Indian Hills computer science seminar.  I ended up going to Indian Hills for my AAS, then went to Iowa for my bachelors degree (simply because I thought it would be fun to be a Hawkeye!), and got my Masters at Drake while working my first couple of jobs in Des Moines.  My choices have served me well in my career, but I wish I'd have known more about my choices.  I was a pretty good HS football player, was lightly recruited by Iowa State (walk on opportunity), but never even considered private colleges because I thought they were cost-prohibitive for my parents.  Only much later did I learn that I might have been able to attend a D3 school for much less than what I thought.  I know that sounds ignorant, but it's all I knew at the time.  I desperately wanted to play more football, but thought it was a pipe-dream.  Now all I do is wonder "what if"?  I don't want my son to ever wonder the same.  

Coocoo:
Good points about the urban environment at Coe.  Everyone is different, but the urban environment is actually one of the few things my wife didn't like at Coe.  It won't be a major factor, but less distractions in the smaller community MIGHT be a better fit for Ryan.  We certainly look forward to getting to better know Coach Raeburn and his staff in the coming weeks.  He can certainly envision himself playing there.

DutchFan:
Wow, your son's situation does sound very similar to Ryan's.  If we do make the UWW trip, we'll definitely look for you.  I probably want to go more than him, mainly because I just love any football game, and I'd love to experience the D3 Playoff atmosphere.  Last night, he said he's not sure there is much more to learn by going, as he is already extremely impressed with Central.  I think Coe and Central just need to pull 4 combined "upsets", and we'll watch them duke it out in CR, like you suggested!  Also, we have Iowa season tickets, so there is a good football game to go to Saturday against Minny.  I simply enjoyed the game in Pella last weekend more than any game this year at Kinnick!

So many great choices.
We agree that there isn't a bad academic choice in the IIAC.  Ryan has his priorities straight as far as academics being FIRST.  

Even though it's a secondary consideration, the largest variable seems to be the football programs.  Right now, Ryan is thinking Central, Cornell, Coe, and Wartburg.  He's excited to learn much more about Coe and Wartburg before he makes his choice.

From a football-only standpoint, Central has set quite a benchmark for the following reasons:

1. Staff.  The coaches said all the right things regarding academic priorities, caring for the players, and their general philosopies.  More importantly, it was obvious they were very sincere.  With 8/10 of the staff being Central Alums (very unusual), there is a real sense of pride and family.

2. Strength & Conditioning.  They are one of the only D3 programs we are aware of that have a full-time S&C coach.  He worked under Doyle at Iowa, and we know how good Doyle is.  The weight facility is 7400 sq. feet, ranking only behind Iowa in the state.  Like Doyle at Iowa, they do a bio-mechanical analysis of every player, and tailor workouts and nutrition for each individual.  Extremely impressive.

3. Tradition.  Not that winning is everything, but it IS more fun than losing!   When a program is conference champs 23 of the last 42 years and hasn't had a losing season since Eisenhower was President, that does get your attention.  On a very minor note, we really liked the overhead helmet thing before every kickoff.  Impressive with over 100 guys on the sideline... gave me chills when I first saw it.

Thanks again to all.

IowaCityDad

Quote from: Da One on November 15, 2005, 12:13:28 PM
I also forgot to mention Luther needs some help up front Defensively.  They played 3 freshman in there front seven this year, so if a kid is ready he will get a chance.  They play a 3-3-5 and a 4-3 blitzing Defense.  I know they are looking for players to come in and contribute.  They lack a pass rushing D-end.  Most of all Coach Hefty is a players coach.  He is always 100% honest with the recruits and players in the program.  I agree with the others, check them all out.  That is the only way you and your son will know what is the best fit.   Good Luck

Good Luck to Coe and Central.  Represent the IIAC well!!

Da One, thanks for the insight on Luther.  Ryan has talked with the staff during the season, and I honestly can't say why he isn't considering Luther more.  As with the other schools, the academics are fantastic.  The FB program also seems to be on the rise.

Pass Rushing DE is where Ryan "made his mark" at the Iowa camp.  He is 6-2/215 and many of the national caliber DEs at that camp were bigger, so he relied on his speed.  He has worked hard in the weight room the last couple of years (benches 290 and squats 440).  He ran the second fastest 40 of all DEs at the Iowa camp (electronic 4.72), so that is what he used against some of the 300 lb OTs he faced there!  BTW, the Mercy Acceleration program in CR is fantastic... Ryan has been attending there for about a year, and they do a great job.

He says he doesn't really care where he plays, as long as he can contribute.  He has the frame to play DE at 230-235 or DT around 245-250.  He also started at left OG in HS and says he'd bulk up and play that if they need him to.  His love is DE, but I'm pleased to hear him say he's open-minded.

IowaCityDad

Quote from: iabeaver63 on November 15, 2005, 12:16:48 PM
BV is where it's at...if you are looking for a good school, great personal environment, and insane facilities!  I played at BV and my best friends played at Coe...they all have said that if they would have visited BV it would have been a no-brainer just based on facilities and overall small-town environment.  BUT...if your son is thinking more that he'll enjoy a city environment, nothing will beat Coe right now for football.  I think the sports facilities need some major work, but where it lacks in facilities it grows in sense of family, and direction from the coaching staff.  It's pretty hard to argue with the success they've seen since Raeburn has been on board.  there is a real intensity around the program, and it excites everyone around.

overall, if your son wants to play some great football in college, there's no better place than IIAC.  Stay away from cyclone country, btw. ;)

iabeaver, thanks for the insight.  Why can't Storm Lake be a bit closer!  ;)  I think that is the only thing going against BV, especially with all of the comparable schools closer.  It's quite possible that we are being short-sighted.

We did get to see BV play against Central last weekend, and there are some fine players on the team.  My first observation is that BV needs more numbers.  The disparity between Central and BV as far as number of players was very noticable.  The upside to that is that my son said, "I think I could go there and help right away".  He's sometimes a bit too cocky for his own good!

cobbernation

Ch Kohawk, The burgers are great.  I now if the moon was made of them I would eat it, maybe have seconds.  Then finish it off with a tall cool budweiser.  3.50 pitchers on Sat. before the game.  Go Cobbers.

coocooforcoekohawk

What are recruiting classes looking like for next year?  Have seniors committed yet?
I'm so happy 'cause today I found my friends. They're in my head.  I'm so ugly, that's okay, 'cause so are you!

DutchFan2004

coocoo,

I don't think many kids have commited yet.  I know in my sons case he didn't commit till like Feb after he went to scholarship days at his choices.  He waited till he saw what he qualified for.  I think that is the way with many kids in the IIAC.  I don't think that many colleges have had their scholarship interviews yet.  I could be wrong but seems to me that doesn't start till Jan.  Maybe someone else has a better idea than I.
Play with Passion  Coach Ron Schipper

warthog

Iowa City Dad:

I am glad to here your son will be making a visit to Wartburg. 

I have been told that based on a student actually visiting campus, Wartburg has one of the highest enrollment rates.  I don't understand how admissions department measure that sort of thing, but they claim to do so.

Hopefully your visit will prove the numbers correctly.
BE ORANGE

CUI '91

Iowa City Dad - It's good to see your actively involved in your son's choice, all the schools you are looking at are very fine places to learn and grow.  That being said, you are very astute to pick up on the family atmosphere surrounding the Dutch.  Knowing many of the coaches, you won't find a better group of men and role models.

Pat Coleman - You did great Sunday!  I visit your site often, but seldom post.  You have really brought a platform for D3 coaches, players and fans to communicate, thanks for all your hard work.

West Region games - I've had the opportunity to see Concordia, SJU, and Central all play.  It's hard to imagine that 2 teams in the region are ranked ahead of SJU, they seem loaded for another run at a title, although Concordia had them all but beat earlier in the year.   Would love to see a Central - SJU second round match up as I live only 50 minutes up I-94 from Collegeville.

Johnny Red - Thanks for the hospitality at the Bethel-CUI game earlier in the year.  I have to admit I did a double-take when I saw a person in a SJU t-shirt and a Central hat, only in D3 Football!

Go Big Red!

The Show

coocoo - I was still playing the financial aid game with Simpson and BV through about March and think I finally decided in early April.  Nobody will know too much about recruits until spring after most of the D2's have made their signings.
Sometimes You're the Windshield & Sometimes You're the Bug!

onearmedscot

Central cleans up in post season awards with Schuring MVP and McMartin Coach of the Year.  A sophomore MVP...puts pressure on to repeat, or I guess three peat.

Looks like the league loses a lot of solid senior defenders.  Only two non-seniors on the first team defense.

All-Conference Team

OneArmedScot
2014 MWC North Division Champs
November 22nd, 2014:  NCAA 1st-round playoff game @ Clemens Stadium
Go Scots!

flyingdutch

IowaCityDad,

Been a reader of this board for awhile but this is my first post.  I read about your son's situation and thought I would add my two cents.  My son was in a similar situation a few years ago.  After a very successful high school senior year, he was recruited by some D2, D3 schools and asked to walk-on at both Iowa and Iowa State.  After agonizing for months over what to do, the decision came down to Central or Iowa.  He loved Coach Kac and the hardest thing he had to do was tell him that he just felt like he had to give Iowa a shot.  I think we all felt Central was the best fit but he didn't want to have to always wonder "what if".  So he gave it two years at Iowa as a walkon.  First year was a redshirt year and then used up a year of eligibility.  To make a long story short, after two years, my son decided that he would rather go some place and play his last three years of eligibility rather than stay at Iowa where he may never see the field.  Though he did look at other schools besides Central, none really compared to what he wanted for the last part of his college career.  As others have said, it depends on the individual but I would highly recommend Central.  Not that Central is perfect either but it is the type of school that will best prepare him for life after college.  He has made some very good, close friends in the few months he's been there--guys he'll most likely stay in touch with way beyond college.  There is just something about the family atmosphere of D3 football and Central that is special.  When one of his friends' grandparents come up to him after the game, on the field, and shake his hand and tell him good game.  Or one of the moms of friends newly made gives him a hug after the game and says the same thing--that's special.  After going thru the experience of Iowa and then Central, they are not even close for me.  I would vote Central every time.

I'll be in Whitewater also on Saturday, along with all the other red swarm of Central fans.  My wife or I will have the #83 jersey on but you probably won't be able to see it with all the cold weather gear we have on.  From what I've seen this year, Central travels as well, if not better, than any other Iowa Conference school.

GO DUTCH!!

coocooforcoekohawk

flying dutch,

I'd say Central travels better than any other school, for sure.
I'm so happy 'cause today I found my friends. They're in my head.  I'm so ugly, that's okay, 'cause so are you!

coocooforcoekohawk

I was shocked and appalled when I didn't see Neil Suckow on either the first or second team all conference selections at running back. Then when I was looking for John Rife's name low and behold there is Neil at wide receiver.  Congratulations to all the Kohawks that made the all conference team.  Looks like we have some people to replace on defense next year.

Go Kohawks!

IowaCityDad

FlyingDutch,

Thank you very much for sharing your son's story.  I applaud him for giving it a shot at Iowa.  I'm guessing that his 2 years there certainly made him a better player, and it appears he is getting some nice playing time already for a 1st year player.

As I mentioned, all of the IIAC schools are going to offer a world-class education.  Some are stronger in certain areas of study, but for the most part it's a push.  That actually makes the decision easier, as we can focus more of the athletic environment... coaches, facilities, etc.  We are looking forward to spending more time with the coaching staffs at other IIAC schools, and it will certainly come down to where he feels the most comfortable.  Other than lots of letters and phone conversations with other schools, the only 2 he/we have had the chance to visit are Cornell and Central.  As I also mentioned, Central has set a pretty high standard and impression so far.  Coach Bentz at Cornell is also excellent, and Ryan is doing an overnight there this week.

I'm familiar with most of the IIAC communities, but none more than Pella, as I played sports at Davis County HS way back when Pella HS was part of the SE Conference.  Beautiful community and people.  My wife is a Coe alum and was around the football program alot, as she dated a Coe player while she was there.  Her main concern for Ryan is the right academic environment.

Thanks again! 

Walston Hoover

With football being over I've had to come to terms with the fact that I need to start working again. I put it off during our playoff run as long as possible.
To the dad who is looking for input.
I visited Wartburg, Luther and Central, and through many friends can tell you that BV and Coe are very similar to them. From what I've gathered, Simpson would be close, but has a ton of rich kids that never unpack their suitcases during the week so they can hurry home as soon as school is out Friday(Straight from a simpson grad)
Dubuque and Cornell seem to have a huge share of Out of state kids, but the first 5 I mentioned (Along with Loras) seem to be quite similar. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.
For me, between Luther, Central, and Wartburg it came down to this-I wanted to sing in a great choir and play on a great football team. The Communications program at the schools were by far superior at Wartburg, but lets face it, the stations don't care where you went to school, they care about your audition tape.
Anyway, back to my story-
Luther ran themselves out of the picture when I met J.Brad (Head coach at the time) Their choir was top notch, but the coaches and conductor obviously had not discussed anything with eachother as the coach was always saying they would both work, but the conductor said maybe for a year or 2, but then I would have to decide. The family atmosphere they were trying get across with the Norse Football team seemed like a good idea, but the more I looked into it, really creeped me out.
Central at the time had a superior football team although Wartburg was definitely on the rise under Coach Willis. Coming from a high school powerhouse with kids from my school at Central was a huge draw, but the choir (as many Central alums can simply not believe) was not up to par with the Wartburg choir.
Wartburg had both aspects of what I was looking for- an up and coming football team and one of the best choirs in the nation-and the biggest draw was...and listen closely...it just felt right. Thats the biggest thing. I left my visit there knowing full well I would be a Knight. It had nothing to do with Coach Willis (Who never promised playing time to me or anyone I know, contrary to rumors), it had nothing to do with the mystique of a packed Knights Gymasium, it had nothing to do with the 1500 seat stadium at the time. IT JUST FELT RIGHT.
That's what I would encourage your son to do. Go where it feels right.
I've been everywhere in the conference, and everywhere has the family atmosphere. We had moms baking us things all the time and I know other schools did to. We had post game parties at Joes which other schools did not (There's only one Joe's)
we had grandparents bombarding us with more congratulatory hugs than you can shake a stick at. We'd go to parents houses for meals. As much as I would like to say that was a special thing (which it was to us) its not unique to Wartburg.
Everyone probably feels there school was the best, and it all depends on how you spend your 4 years there. I still keep in very close touch with the guys I played with and many other people around the school, but you know what, that happens at other places too.
You'll know when you go somewhere if you belong there or not.
Don't get me wrong, I still feel Wartburg is a very special place, That's why I still bleed orange,(Except for Valley week), and from the sounds of your son, we'd love to have him here, but he'll do himself a huge favor if he goes where it just feels right.

You come to Wartburg to play for championships