Rule and Policy Changes

Started by hopefan, June 24, 2015, 09:48:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on October 20, 2017, 04:58:54 AM
I would have been in favor of moving the end of the season back a week to be closer to the other divisions rather than at the start of the season. I remember when the tournament was stretched out forever the year all the finals were played together.

Well there are multiple things in place here that were unavoidable, but let's start with the normal calendar. The DIII championships are the third weekend of March, the DII championships are the fourth weekend, and then the D1 championships are the following weekend. As a result, you have all three titles in back-to-back-to-back weekends. Personally, I like that format as it gives DIII it's own place in the sun even if it is during the opening weekend of the D1 tournament.

Back in 2013, two things screwed up the calendar. First was moving all the championships to Atlanta. If the regular calendar had been in place, we would have had two more weekends added to the calendar - see the women's championships in 2016 for an example of how that worked out. However, the D1 tournament was also moved back a week. This was mainly done by CBS so that the D1 Final Four weekend led straight into The Master's weekend a few days later. It was a combination of things that led to a protracted championship season for Division III coupled by the fact that it was a somewhat last minute decision that allowed absolutely no ability to shift or extend the season.

I mention all of that for the following reason: the 2018-2019 calendar is going to be a repeat of the 2013 calendar minus all the men's titles being played (in Minneapolis that year). D1 is being pushed back a week because The Masters has been pushed back a week. As a result, the DIII championships will be played on the D1 conference championships weekend (DII I don't know) and I think that buries the championship weekend. What's worse. That will be the first year in Fort Myers.

I have actually already contact the NCAA about all of this because there are a number of coaches wondering how DIII's season will be impacted. I have been told there are no changes being proposed or on the table to extend the DIII 19-week season (October 15 to the end of February). With that being the case, the changes would have to come in the postseason to realign the championships with the normal D1 tournament opening weekend. I have been told there is nothing being discussed about this as well. I also checked the Fort Myers arena's calendar only to find the only thing mentioned for March is an event for the exact weekend the NCAA would have to move the championships to if they moved the calendar. In other words, I don't see it happening (the NCAA got lucky that Salem was able to move it's championships weekend slot back a week in 2013; that arena is pretty busy, but Salem made it happen).

Personally, I don't think we want to move our championships to coincide with DIs normally. It would only bury us even further. Also, I can assure you the presidents in Division III aren't about to approve a longer season (more than the 19-weeks) and they already had issues with the 2013 experiment. No way they approve sliding the post-season in a permanent way. If they did, they would move the start of the season and when you start looking at holidays, exam periods, and school breaks, I don't see any way of moving the season later that makes any sense.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

smedindy

I really do think each division needs its own championship week. D3 first, then D2, then D1.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: smedindy on October 20, 2017, 01:34:56 PM
I really do think each division needs its own championship week. D3 first, then D2, then D1.

I agree with you. Lacrosse has them all on the same weekend and I sometimes love that and sometimes wish DIII got a bigger spotlight.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on October 20, 2017, 12:13:40 PM
That will be the first year in Fort Myers.

That would surely be a much better option for March travel.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on October 21, 2017, 07:38:17 AM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on October 20, 2017, 12:13:40 PM
That will be the first year in Fort Myers.

That would surely be a much better option for March travel.

Yeah. Further than Indiana, but Florida weather in March is warm and cozy, plus it's an excuse to visit in-laws and friends!
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

ronk

Fort Myers? I missed the announcement. It didn't come up in any previous discussion on this board about desirable alternatives to Salem; for example, one consideration was a locale within a reasonable transit(drive) of a D3 presence(schools). Fort Myers wouldn't qualify on that basis.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: ronk on October 21, 2017, 11:37:12 AM
Fort Myers? I missed the announcement. It didn't come up in any previous discussion on this board about desirable alternatives to Salem; for example, one consideration was a locale within a reasonable transit(drive) of a D3 presence(schools). Fort Myers wouldn't qualify on that basis.

The NCAA u-turned on their decision to move the Final Four from Salem to Fort Wayne. They then asked D3hoops to conduct a poll as to where they wanted to move the Final Four, but it couldn't be back to Salem. Any poster at All-American level or higher was eligible to vote on the new location, as HoFers' votes counted as 2. The final decision was made to move it to sunny Fort Myers.

How could you miss all that?? Where have you been? Check your spam email. I know it's the off-season and all... ???  ;D  :D  :)
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

ronk

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on October 21, 2017, 12:30:53 PM
Quote from: ronk on October 21, 2017, 11:37:12 AM

The NCAA u-turned on their decision to move the Final Four from Salem to Fort Wayne. They then asked D3hoops to conduct a poll as to where they wanted to move the Final Four, but it couldn't be back to Salem. Any poster at All-American level or higher was eligible to vote on the new location, as HoFers' votes counted as 2. The final decision was made to move it to sunny Fort Myers.

How could you miss all that?? Where have you been? Check your spam email. I know it's the off-season and all... ???  ;D  :D  :)

Glad to know it was a decision procedure with which I'm comfortable. ::) I've been by Fort Wayne on the train; for you youngsters, Fort Wayne was in the original NBA(now the Detroit Pistons) and I remember the Celtics having to get off the train a few miles out of town and having to get local transportation into the city.

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

hopefan

Just to put everyone's mind at ease😄😄

Greensboro has posted their schedule...  no 427 and dead last
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Sorry guys.. not sure how I swapped out Wayne for Myers. SMH

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on October 22, 2017, 11:58:38 AM
Sorry guys.. not sure how I swapped out Wayne for Myers. SMH

Not sure how? Easy, it's more appealing.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

hopefan

Won't tell you all how close I was to making  post about how excited I was that the final 4 was coming just 2 hours away from my new 'alternate' location.. was ready to host first come first serve D3hoops fan... ::) ::)
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

ronk

Hoopsville would have been doing their remote show @ the Final 4 and wondering why no one was stopping by. I hear Trump is releasing the minutes of the site selection vote(Ft. Wayne Vs Fort Myers) in conjunction with the Kennedy info release.  ;)

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: ronk on October 22, 2017, 07:19:34 PM
Hoopsville would have been doing their remote show @ the Final 4 and wondering why no one was stopping by. I hear Trump is releasing the minutes of the site selection vote(Ft. Wayne Vs Fort Myers) in conjunction with the Kennedy info release.  ;)

Also in conjunction with the Clinton Foundation info release ;)