Great Lakes      7    2011    2002
Middle Atlantic      4    2016    2001
Northeast      4    2018    2017
East      3    2005    1990
West      3    2018    2018
Atlantic      1    2018    1996
South      1    2015    2006

wheels81

My bad Hossiersfan, I was looking at the all District team, where Francis was first team in the Central. 
https://www.nabc.org/nabc_releases/2019/diii_all_district
"I am what I am"  PTSM

CCIWchamps

Quote from: Hoosiersfan2323 on March 14, 2019, 11:49:09 AM
Quote from: wheels81 on March 14, 2019, 11:45:36 AM
Maybe they didn't give him region honors because he may make POY?

Hard to justify giving MOP to someone who wasn't good enough for the first team.

Would that be easier or harder to justify than leaving Francis off the first team in the first place?

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Titan Q on March 14, 2019, 03:17:02 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 14, 2019, 02:10:16 PM
I agree with GoPerry. Re-formatting the Final Four pairings subsequent to sectional play is problematic. It looks like a bait-and-switch, and it goes against the principle of transparency, because there's no openly-disclosed seeding to begin with in the D3 men's basketball tournament.

But there are behind-the-scenes seeds...and these are factors in big decisions (like bracketing and site-selection).  So why not let the committee continue to use their seeding process to make sure the Final Four pairings are as good as possible?

Three answers:

1) Your plan reinforces the lack of transparency that already exists. The committee uses a seeding process without ever revealing what those seeds are -- and by your plan, they would compound that problem by extending it into a second seeding process four rounds deep into the tournament;

2) We do not agree on what "as good as possible" means. You think that it means Final Four semifinal pairings based upon a nebulous (but initially necessary) assessment of criteria data that would be re-used, even though outdated, to formulate a whole new set of seeds that can somehow definitively divine a #1, a #2, a #3, and a #4 in the context in which H2H and common opponents -- two of the five primary criteria -- are least likely to be useful and relevant criteria. I, on the other hand, think that "as good as possible" means structuring the tourney bracket better to ensure a lesser likelihood of teams meeting familiar opponents until the championship game, an "as good as possible" that also spices up the Final Four by guaranteeing intersectional competition on the Friday night of the Final Four; and

3) Your plan runs counter to tradition and cultural expectations. As I said, all national college basketball tourneys and all state high-school basketball tourneys (to the best of my knowledge) operate with fixed brackets released in full prior to the start of play. In other words, everybody already knows his or her team's path to the championship before the opening tip in the first round. People like that system. People are used to that system. And people are very likely to look at what you're proposing through the lens of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". And it ain't broke. All I'm saying is that the initial bracket construction itself should be fine-tuned to prevent Central vs. Central and/or NESCAC vs. NESCAC (to use the most relevant possibilities) semifinal matchups.

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Titan Q on March 14, 2019, 03:17:02 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 14, 2019, 02:10:16 PM
I agree with GoPerry. Re-formatting the Final Four pairings subsequent to sectional play is problematic. It looks like a bait-and-switch, and it goes against the principle of transparency, because there's no openly-disclosed seeding to begin with in the D3 men's basketball tournament.

But there are behind-the-scenes seeds...and these are factors in big decisions (like bracketing and site-selection).  So why not let the committee continue to use their seeding process to make sure the Final Four pairings are as good as possible?

Are we talking about this now because we think Oshkosh and Wheaton are the two best teams?  I'd definitely have Swarthmore at a strong #2 this year.  Typically they pair up the top seeds in each bracket for a 1-4, 2-3 matchup; although those top seeds rarely get there.  By the criteria, Whitman was 1, NWU 2, Augie 3, and Amherst 4.  That's how they set up the brackets.  The last few years they've done a pretty good job of attempting to avoid the wrong matchups in the national semis.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Titan Q

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 14, 2019, 05:04:30 PM
Are we talking about this now because we think Oshkosh and Wheaton are the two best teams?  I'd definitely have Swarthmore at a strong #2 this year. 

No.  Above I said I have Wheaton as the #4 seed in the Final Four.

I am talking about this because these teams are in the same region.  It would be nice to keep teams from the same region from meeting in the semifinal in my opinion.

kiko

This feels like it is opening pandora's box a bit.  If the tourney was arranged with a 'TBD' final four pairing, the next logical step would be to have 'TBD' pairings for the second weekend as well, so that the NCAA can shuffle teams around and minimize flights.  I expect that would not be too popular with any number of stakeholders.

From my POV, locking in the draw before the tournament as we do now makes the most sense.  If a 1 vs 2 matchup happens in the semifinals rather than the finals, it doesn't change much -- whomever wins walnut and bronze still has to go through a better team and a slightly-less-better team -- they just do so in a different order.

duckfan41

Hey USee, are you doing the starting lineups for tonight? Need some stress relief 😂

Titan Q

There is a fun gameday buzz here in Fort Wayne.  Coach Schauer and his guys seem both 100% locked in and loose.

Judging from the hotel scene here, I think Wheaton is going to have a big crowd tonight. 

Great to see Bill Harris here.  Always nice to see my all-time favorite non-Titan CCIW player, Matt Nadlehoffer.  Sounds like there will be a boatload of former Bill Harris players here in Fort Wayne.

Fun atmosphere leading up to the games tonight.  I will be joining Dave, Pat, and Ryan on Hoopsville pregame...looking forward to that.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Titan Q on March 15, 2019, 01:53:36 PM
There is a fun gameday buzz here in Fort Wayne.  Coach Schauer and his guys seem both 100% locked in and loose.

Judging from the hotel scene here, I think Wheaton is going to have a big crowd tonight. 

Great to see Bill Harris here.  Always nice to see my all-time favorite non-Titan CCIW player, Matt Nadlehoffer.  Sounds like there will be a boatload of former Bill Harris players here in Fort Wayne.

If you see him, please tell Nate Collord that there are numerous forty-ish North Park alumni that still remember him somewhat less than fondly. ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Mugsy

Relegated to lurking, so this video may have already been shared.  Amazing to see how AF had no fear to shoot from deep range even in high school.  Most high school coaches would not allow shots from well beyond the arc.  Weird to see the long hair...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zE-Ax9hsqc&list=WL&index=9&t=148s
Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

iwu70

Swarthmore is for real, over Christopher Newport 70-61 in the semis.  Playing for the national title tomorrow.

Go nerds.  :)

'70

iwu70

Wheaton trails Oshkosh at the half, 46-41.  AF with 25.

'70

WUPHF

This has been a particularly fun game to watch.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: iwu70 on March 15, 2019, 09:35:38 PM
Wheaton trails Oshkosh at the half, 46-41.  AF with 25.

'70

'Only' 23 according to livestats.  And not particularly efficient: 2-10 from 3, 8-23 overall.