New England Soccer Discussion

Started by Jim Matson, June 09, 2006, 12:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Falconer

Quote from: TyWebb on November 06, 2018, 09:38:04 AM
A final point: I think the NCAA is missing the mark with conference winners that lose in their tournament and then lose out on Pool C. Basically, the NCAA is saying your conference and conference games really didn't matter (Unless you're NESCAC and then you get to host and draw a first-round bye). I have one suggestion. Add a component to the R-v-R. Add a C for conference winner and assign it a value. So in Babson's case their R-v-R-C would have been 1-3-3-1. Or better yet, make it part of the primary selection criteria along with R-v-R & SOS etc,. Is Springfield's last-minute goal worth more than 7 hard fought games that Babson took to win the conference? Personally, I don't think so.

An alternative suggestion: get rid of the conference tournament, and assign the AQ to the regular season champion. That's what the UAA does, and I fail to see a problem with it. Why not take that route? If most conferences did this, there would be more Pool C bids available for other worthy teams.

I certainly wish the MAC conferences would do this. (But, I'm old fashioned enough to believe that MLB should eliminate all of their playoffs, too. I still regard the Detroit Tigers as the last true World Series champion, defeating the Cardinals in 7 games in 1968.) The regular season is supposed to matter--and matter a whole lot. Otherwise, what's the point?

Let's get real: D3 soccer conferences typically have fewer than 10 teams, and if you have just 7 (correct?) you get an AQ. What's the point of allowing the possibility that a 5th-place team somehow runs the table in the conference tournament and gets a bid? Suppose freak circumstances combine to produce that result? We all know it can happen--and it shouldn't IMO be even on the table as a possibility. Everyone knows that a team finished in 5th, not 1st, for good reasons. Why give them life after death?

blooter442

Quote from: Falconer on November 06, 2018, 09:57:56 AM
An alternative suggestion: get rid of the conference tournament, and assign the AQ to the regular season champion. That's what the UAA does, and I fail to see a problem with it. Why not take that route? If most conferences did this, there would be more Pool C bids available for other worthy teams.

I certainly wish the MAC conferences would do this. (But, I'm old fashioned enough to believe that MLB should eliminate all of their playoffs, too. I still regard the Detroit Tigers as the last true World Series champion, defeating the Cardinals in 7 games in 1968.) The regular season is supposed to matter--and matter a whole lot. Otherwise, what's the point?

Let's get real: D3 soccer conferences typically have fewer than 10 teams, and if you have just 7 (correct?) you get an AQ. What's the point of allowing the possibility that a 5th-place team somehow runs the table in the conference tournament and gets a bid? Suppose freak circumstances combine to produce that result? We all know it can happen--and it shouldn't IMO be even on the table as a possibility. Everyone knows that a team finished in 5th, not 1st, for good reasons. Why give them life after death?

As someone who supports a team that plays in the UAA, I would support the idea of all conferences adopting that model if only to make the competition for an AQ more similar. However, I can see staunch opposition from most teams outside the top of any given conference (who would perhaps feel disenfranchised that their one "chance" at an AQ is all but gone). Not saying that the regular season champion isn't the most deserving — just that other teams might not buy in.

blooter442

Cool feature in the NESJ about Rochester goalkeeper Patrick Conway of Acton, MA (behind a paywall but you can sign up for the first month for $0.99): https://www.nesoccerjournal.com/patrick-conway-rochester-goalkeeper-ncaa-tournament/

Anecdotally speaking, it seems like a lot of D3 New England players stay in the area. And given it's an incredibly strong region with numerous teams and great schools, it makes sense (think about how few top English players play in La Liga/Serie A/Bundesliga). However, I think it's cool when NE kids go and prove themselves elsewhere, as PaulNewman knows a thing or two about. I used to really not like Rochester but their run to the Elite 8 last year was impressive, and I'd love for them to get to the Final 4 (while fully recognizing they will have their hands full this weekend).

TyWebb

Sorry to see that Newbury College in Brookline, MA will be closing its doors after this spring semester (https://www.wbur.org/edify/2018/12/14/newbury-college-brookline-shuts-down). Newbury's men's team was coming off a NECC conference title and their first ever NCAA appearance (3-1 loss to Cortland St.). Tough news to get before the holidays for all involved I'm sure.

Mr.Right

Quote from: TyWebb on December 16, 2018, 02:38:36 PM
Sorry to see that Newbury College in Brookline, MA will be closing its doors after this spring semester (https://www.wbur.org/edify/2018/12/14/newbury-college-brookline-shuts-down). Newbury's men's team was coming off a NECC conference title and their first ever NCAA appearance (3-1 loss to Cortland St.). Tough news to get before the holidays for all involved I'm sure.

I have been saying this for the past 5 years...There are so many of these type of schools that will be closing in the next 10-20 years...People just cannot afford it anymore and unless the system changes drastically we could be seeing schools like these(Mt.Ida, Daniel Webster)and maybe even Conn College in trouble in 20 years if they do not start building their endowment and getting their campus into the 21st century...

Viking

You're right, Mr. Right. The recent challenges that have bubbled to the surface at many different types of relatively small institutions in recent years -- Newbury, Hampshire, Sweet Briar, St. Joseph's (IN), Virginia Intermont, Green Mountain, even some publics in states like Pennsylvania, such as Lincoln and the smaller State System schools -- haven't always led to closures, but there are certainly more to come. What's notable when you look at the schools that have closed or come close to closing is the range of types of smaller schools, including single-sex privates, denominational privates, non-traditional privates, tiny schools (<1K), schools that range larger than most small colleges (>4K), public HBCUs, regional publics, rural schools, urban schools, you name it. Families need to be more mindful than they used to be and information can be hard to find. It's worth scouting industry publications like the Chronicle of Higher Education and Insider Higher Ed as you're making your choices.

nesoccerfan10

Summer can be a huge time of development for these players. It is a time to get fit or, if the player is good enough, train and play with NPSL or USL 2 teams. It would be interesting if there was some sort of list that could be compiled of players playing in these leagues as it could be very telling on which colleges succeed and dont. Obviously this isnt going to be the only factor but it seems like it could be a factor nonetheless.

Ommadawn

Quote from: nesoccerfan10 on June 03, 2019, 12:56:24 PM
It is a time to get fit or, if the player is good enough, train and play with NPSL or USL 2 teams. It would be interesting if there was some sort of list that could be compiled of players playing in these leagues as it could be very telling on which colleges succeed and dont.

I took a cursory look at the rosters of the New England (broadly defined) NPSL and USL2 teams.  I recognized the names of more former D3 players than current D3 players (and more among the USL2 teams than among the NPSL teams, which makes sense given the age restrictions of USL2). 

Here's who stood out to me among NPSL teams:

Boston City - a former Conn College player (Manoogian), a former Dean College player (Cardona, who transferred to D1 SIUE), and a current Springfield College player (Dixon)

Hartford City - a former Springfield College player (Alvaro) and a former Babson College player (Carlos)

Kingston Stockade - a former RPI player (Koziol)

Here's who stood out to me among USL2 teams:

AC Connecticut - a former WCSU player (Allers)

Black Rock - a D3 dream team of former Kenyon players (Clougher and Amolo), a former SLU player (Dede), and a former Wesleyan player (Martinez-Paiz)

Boston Bolts - a former UMass Boston player (Kenawy) and three current Tufts players (Harned, Tasker, and Van Brewer)

Manhattan - a current Williams player (Oberg), a former Middlebury player (O'Grady), and a former Tufts player (Coleman)

Seacoast - a current Messiah player (Quintin) and a current Brandeis player (Nardizzi)

Western Mass - a former Bowdoin player (Brewster), a former St. Joe's player (Mullen), and a former Springfield player (Schneider)

I'm sure I missed a bunch of players (and every nonrostered player training with the teams).  It's nice to see D3 represented in these leagues, but I'm not sure how well involvement in NPSL or USL2 translates on the field in the Fall.

nesoccerfan10

Quote from: Ommadawn on June 03, 2019, 04:24:18 PM
Quote from: nesoccerfan10 on June 03, 2019, 12:56:24 PM
It is a time to get fit or, if the player is good enough, train and play with NPSL or USL 2 teams. It would be interesting if there was some sort of list that could be compiled of players playing in these leagues as it could be very telling on which colleges succeed and dont.

I took a cursory look at the rosters of the New England (broadly defined) NPSL and USL2 teams.  I recognized the names of more former D3 players than current D3 players (and more among the USL2 teams than among the NPSL teams, which makes sense given the age restrictions of USL2). 

Here's who stood out to me among NPSL teams:

Boston City - a former Conn College player (Manoogian), a former Dean College player (Cardona, who transferred to D1 SIUE), and a current Springfield College player (Dixon)

Hartford City - a former Springfield College player (Alvaro) and a former Babson College player (Carlos)

Kingston Stockade - a former RPI player (Koziol)

Here's who stood out to me among USL2 teams:

AC Connecticut - a former WCSU player (Allers)

Black Rock - a D3 dream team of former Kenyon players (Clougher and Amolo), a former SLU player (Dede), and a former Wesleyan player (Martinez-Paiz)

Boston Bolts - a former UMass Boston player (Kenawy) and three current Tufts players (Harned, Tasker, and Van Brewer)

Manhattan - a current Williams player (Oberg), a former Middlebury player (O'Grady), and a former Tufts player (Coleman)

Seacoast - a current Messiah player (Quintin) and a current Brandeis player (Nardizzi)

Western Mass - a former Bowdoin player (Brewster), a former St. Joe's player (Mullen), and a former Springfield player (Schneider)

I'm sure I missed a bunch of players (and every nonrostered player training with the teams).  It's nice to see D3 represented in these leagues, but I'm not sure how well involvement in NPSL or USL2 translates on the field in the Fall.

Of course, I think I misspoke and made it seem like those specific leagues are big factors. I meant summer leagues and playing in the summer in general but it is interesting to see who is in those upper leagues.

SlideTackle

Dan Sullivan, former Tufts players, is with Manhattan Soccer Club.  There are likely others throughout.

nesoccerfan10

Any guesses on top 10/top 5 in New England this upcoming year?

nescacfan94

There's a whole lot of current and future NE college players either playing with, or practicing with, various U23 teams, including Manhattan SC. Depending on the club, these are not the most organized / structured leagues, especially with the limited number of games over the summer, so you might not see names you recognize (or names you will soon recognize).  Some guys might only be practicing. That doesn't mean guys aren't working hard and aren't improving.

truenorth

As a casual fan, and one who focuses primarily on the NESCAC and Bowdoin in particular, I don't do the depth of analysis that other contributors to this post do.

I did get curious enough to pull up the end-of-season regional rankings from the NCAA site.

New England      In-Division Record   Overall Record
1.   Tufts   13-0-3   13-0-3
2.   Connecticut College   12-2-2   12-2-2
3.   Amherst   12-4-1   12-4-1
4.   Springfield   14-4-1   14-4-1
5.   Williams   10-5-3   10-5-3
6.   Middlebury   10-3-3   10-3-3
7.   Roger Williams   16-5-0   16-5-0
8.   Endicott   10-6-2   10-6-2
9.   St. Joseph's (Maine)   20-0-0   20-0-0
10.   Babson   12-3-4   12-3-4
11.   Bowdoin   9-5-2   9-5-2
12.   Gordon   12-6-1   12-6-1

Based on what little I know or have heard, I would guess that Conn College and St. Joe's will drop a little.  The NESCAC in general will be strong as usual, because most of those programs just keep reloading due to the desirability of those schools as a landing place for "student athletes".  Babson's usually a consistent performer.  I really don't know enough about Springfield, Roger Williams, Endicott or Gordon to provide any insight...other than there seem to be frequent mentions of Endicott pulling in D1 caliber transfers each year...