BB: D3 MLB Draft projections, picks and free-agent signings

Started by AlleyCat, May 29, 2008, 10:12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

infielddad

dukes,
All of your comments on the stats from the DIII are quite accurate, in my view.
But LargeTuna is also right in classifying the kid as a propect.
Evan Bronson is a very legitimate pro prospect.
Last summer he was placed in the Texas Collegiate League, which is right at the top in terms of quality.  Evan was extremely successful and was selected to pitch in their All Star game.
This Spring, he has had many scouts travel the I35 corridor to San Antonio to watch him.  He has also had more than a few cross-checkers watch him.
Whether he would be drafted as a junior is a very hard question? 
Our son has seen Evan a number of times and says he could compete very effectively in Milb with his current velocity, command  and ability to pitch.
With 2-3 mph in velocity, our son feels he has a chance to do extremely well in professional baseball at very high levels.
Whether it is this year or next, Bronson surely is a professional prospect.

ecfaninri

Quote from: Rick Vaughn on June 04, 2008, 10:32:38 AM
Quote from: infielddad on June 03, 2008, 06:59:59 PM
If you can, Newport's Cardines field is a must.  Oldest park in the US, (a flagpole in CF) big crowds of about 2,500 per night, and terrific ownership.  You can sit in right field(I mean almost in right field) on the patio of  a local  pub and watch the games.  Of course I never did that???? ::)

Don't forget that both dugouts are the first base side.  Right on the water as well.  Very quirky park, but fun.

ecfaninri

Cardines Field is a great venue. Neighborhood field, right on top of the field. Dugouts on the same side. Yes - the Mudville Pub located in the right field corner. The Gulls do it right. They draw well because of the captive audience in Newport. It beats driving to the Cape, McCoy Stadium, or even Fenway.  Interested in seeing the NECBL this summer and seeing how some of the D-3 players shape up in this league.

LCasid

Ronnie LaBrie from Lynchburg has a chance. Coach Abell has received calls from teams interested in him and he had a pre-draft workout thing that went well...

BIGTRAIN82

This kid can really hit. A big fella, 6'4" tall who has speed, plays catcher and first base.
His numbers are great.

mr_b

Here is the MLB Draft tracker site:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2008/drafttracker.jsp

It's searchable by name, school, home state/country, and position.

killerdude

Def agree that there are so many potential players out there this year....but some players go unnoticed that should get some recognition and could potentially have a shot at playing ball at the next level

--Matt Smith(NCWC)---small frame, but can run and hit for power
--Kenny Moreland(CNU)---tremendous ability to get hitters out; walk to strikeout ratio is very good
--Kyle Robertson(NCWC)---6'4" RHP; very intelligent pitcher with command of all his pitches; small frame with room to expand with the right workout diligence

What does everyone think?...Who else is unnoticed?

A.G.

I will again, mention LaBrie.  The key with him is what position he projects defensively.

Jim Dixon

More D-III players will sign free agent contracts than get drafted.  With the draft limited to 50 rounds, there is lots of room for free agent signings.

mr_b

If you look at the Draft Tracker, you see relatively few DIII players listed as potential picks -- most are high school and DI prospects.  Of course, that's just one group's opinion of who is likely to get drafted.  I agree with Jim that a number of DIII players will sign as free agents after the draft.

bbnag101

Quote from: Jim Dixon on June 05, 2008, 07:48:01 PM
More D-III players will sign free agent contracts than get drafted.  With the draft limited to 50 rounds, there is lots of room for free agent signings.

How does being a free agent work?  Do they get any of the same benefits as if you are drafted  ie.. signing bonus, if Jr., possible help with college tuition, same monthly salary? 

Jim Dixon

No players drafted on the first day :)

Free agents can negotiate their own contract.  If fact you have greater freedom since you can negotiate with all teams, not just one.  Of course if a team thought you were on their top 50 players they can get, you would have been drafted.

No player has to sign a contract.  If the deal is not acceptable, you dont sign.  It really is the same for any of us.  All jobs I have had I applied knowing the pay was acceptable or was able to negotiate a higher rate.

BigPoppa

Kurt Yacko to the Colorado rockies in the 8th round. Congrats, Kurt. You are a great kid with a bright future.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Pat Coleman

Kulik and Yacko go in the eighth round, 12 picks apart.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Knightstalker

First D3 player taken is from the NJAC. 

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).