BB: D3 MLB Draft projections, picks and free-agent signings

Started by AlleyCat, May 29, 2008, 10:12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John McGraw

Quote from: chakote on May 30, 2008, 12:25:39 PM
Quote from: AceInTheHole on May 29, 2008, 01:20:33 PM
I was at the CWS and i was not impressed by some of the names i've heard this year. After seeing Yacko i thought he was effective but not overpowering. I was no more impressed with his slider than righty stoper from Kean Brandon Aich's slider. Yet Yacko showed he was a great athlete and competitor and i think he will get drafted after senior year. I was dissapointed with kitchens and i am surprised he had the #s he had with his underdeveloped stuff. It seemed to me that Kitchens had poor control of a high 80s fastball and not much else. Has Yacko been coming in all season to save Kitchens from letting up runs and keeping his ERA down? I don't see Kitchens going to the next level.

Tim Kiely's poise and control impressed me most. I expected a little more in terms of velocity but his control of 2 plus pitches impressed me. I don't know about his experiences over the summer but he should be a sure 15 - 20 round draft pick after sr. year.

Hopkins startes Zacarria and tournament most oustanding player Angeloni impressed me with thier stuff despite having rather poor numbers. Zaccaria had great size and arm action to go along with his 14Ks - very impressive. Angeloni was very confident on the mound and had a great slider sinker combo. He showed some real good pop at times and proved to be a great competitor.

Only Hopkins and WW bats impressed me with next level talent. Emr from hopkins has great size and easy power. I was expecting a better performance from Fester who was returning from a knee injury this post season but i already know from his jr year and play in the Texas Collegiate League that he is one of the best DIII hitters in the country. Pietroforte from Hopkins showed a great and clutch arm in the postseason and has great tools.

Johnson and Zalnis were impressive bats for Whitewater. Johnson especially proved himself to be a next level talent as he was extemely coonfident at the plate.

Finally, i was most dissapointed with the lack of professional baseball scouts present to witness the top DIII teams compete...

Ace you are obviously a JHU alum or parent and your comments about these players are not justly deserved. i.e. Kitchens and Yacko, you haven't done your research and you are basing your comments on one game in the WS. if you did do your research you would have seen the number of complete games and hits per nine innings on the NCAA web site that is posted weekly, so before you can comment on any player besides the ones that you are a homer for do your homework!!

Check Ace In the Hole's registration e-mail (on his bio) and you can see that the name in his e-mail address is slightly similar to that of someone on the JHU roster. Not pointing anyone out in particular, just laying things out.

Falcon2720

Chris Pecora, NCWC

He was drafted last year in the 33rd round by Seattle.  I am pretty sure he will get drafted again.

A.G.

Matt Smith, NCWC, "possibly".  I only say possibly due to his slight frame.  Someone SHOULD take a late round flyer on him...b/c he can rake and fly.

Ronnie LaBrie, Lynchburg College, but as an outfielder.  Do not be surprised if he gets a day two nod, b/c he has the bat, the speed, and the arm.

infielddad

Baseball Amercia has Kurt Yacko listed as the 100th best prospect in California.
That would likely mean he could be selected any time from round 10 or after, which would make signing a tough decision, I would think.
Unless he says he would not sign, it is a pretty good chance he is going to hear his name called.

gatekeper43

Quote from: infielddad on June 02, 2008, 01:17:59 PM
Baseball Amercia has Kurt Yacko listed as the 100th best prospect in California.
That would likely mean he could be selected any time from round 10 or after, which would make signing a tough decision, I would think.
Unless he says he would not sign, it is a pretty good chance he is going to hear his name called.

infield dad what does that mean exactly when you say that anytime from round 10 or after?? is that lacking any good numbers monetarily or paying for his last year of school?? I know that he was saying that there were numerous teams scouting him, double digit nimbers. it would be a shame if he had to go for any number below the 100,000's range

dukes

If he is a late first day guy, rounds 10-20 it will make it a tough decision, but then chances are that team will be willing to play for his last year of schooling. I doubt he will be in the 100,000 range in those rounds. I think it would be nice to be in the 30-50k range with the last year of school paid for. He is able to bargain using his senior season as leverage, but the team that drafts him probably should and will know if he will be willing to sign for their amount and conditions, because they wont want to waste a first day pick if he will go back to school.

BoomerIL

In 2006, Joe Benson from Joliet Catholic High School outside of Chicago, signed as the #2 pick for the Minnesota Twins.  The #1 pick was Chris Parmalee.  Joe signed for around 560,000.  Joe is playing in Low A with the Beloit Snappers of the Midwest League.

A few years prior to that, Bo Flowers, another local player from Walter Lutheran signed as the 143rd or 144th pick with the Detroit Tigers.  He signed for approximately 130,000.  Bo was their for severla years tehn traded to the Cubs for approximate a year.  Quit the Cubs with college eligiblity still left and is a defensive back for the University of Illinois.

If Kurt Yacko goes in the 10th round or beyond, he should be happy to see 30-50K.
"You observe alot by watching"  -  Yogi Berra

bbnag101

Quote from: AceInTheHole on May 29, 2008, 01:20:33 PM
I was at the CWS and i was not impressed by some of the names i've heard this year. After seeing Yacko i thought he was effective but not overpowering. I was no more impressed with his slider than righty stoper from Kean Brandon Aich's slider. Yet Yacko showed he was a great athlete and competitor and i think he will get drafted after senior year. I was dissapointed with kitchens and i am surprised he had the #s he had with his underdeveloped stuff. It seemed to me that Kitchens had poor control of a high 80s fastball and not much else. Has Yacko been coming in all season to save Kitchens from letting up runs and keeping his ERA down? I don't see Kitchens going to the next level.

Tim Kiely's poise and control impressed me most. I expected a little more in terms of velocity but his control of 2 plus pitches impressed me. I don't know about his experiences over the summer but he should be a sure 15 - 20 round draft pick after sr. year.

Hopkins startes Zacarria and tournament most oustanding player Angeloni impressed me with thier stuff despite having rather poor numbers. Zaccaria had great size and arm action to go along with his 14Ks - very impressive. Angeloni was very confident on the mound and had a great slider sinker combo. He showed some real good pop at times and proved to be a great competitor.

Only Hopkins and WW bats impressed me with next level talent. Emr from hopkins has great size and easy power. I was expecting a better performance from Fester who was returning from a knee injury this post season but i already know from his jr year and play in the Texas Collegiate League that he is one of the best DIII hitters in the country. Pietroforte from Hopkins showed a great and clutch arm in the postseason and has great tools.

Johnson and Zalnis were impressive bats for Whitewater. Johnson especially proved himself to be a next level talent as he was extemely coonfident at the plate.

Finally, i was most dissapointed with the lack of professional baseball scouts present to witness the top DIII teams compete...

ACE - Hopkins does have some GREAT players and I'm sure that you are proud to be associated with them - but please research others before posting - READ BELOW

Quoted from "The Association of Division III Independents"

For the second year in a row, Kurt Yacko, a junior from Costa Mesa, CA, was named the player of the year after he hit .344 with 10 home runs and 47 runs batted in. Yacko also led all of Division III in earned-run average (0.57) and saves (15). He was 6-0 and had 71 strikeouts in 61 innings. Just yesterday, Yacko was named to the American Baseball Coaches Association/Rawlings All-America first team.

Wayde Kitchens, a junior right-hander from Oceanside, CA, was named the pitcher of the year after posting a 9-0 record with a 1.10 ERA and three shutouts. He also was named to the ABCA All-American first team. Despite missing most of the first six weeks of the season with a shoulder injury, Kitchens finished with a fury as he recorded 70 strikeouts in 73 1/3 innings and ranked in the top five in earned-run average. Kitchens finest moment came earlier in the season when he fanned a school-record 17 in a game against Dallas.

In regards to the scouts - It would of been nice if more were there.  But they have followed  a lot of these players all season long and have already "seen" what they wanted to see.  They were off watching DI and DII games since their season starts later than DIII.

infielddad

Quote from: gatekeper43 on June 02, 2008, 01:26:12 PM

infield dad what does that mean exactly when you say that anytime from round 10 or after?? is that lacking any good numbers monetarily or paying for his last year of school?? I know that he was saying that there were numerous teams scouting him, double digit nimbers. it would be a shame if he had to go for any number below the 100,000's range

gatekeeper, it is very unlikely that there will be any offer in the $100,000's range if he is drafted after the 10th round.  MLB has issued more notices to teams this year about "slot" and staying within slot money
If he were to be picked between the 10th and 15th round, the numbers quoted of $30,000 to $50,000, for a junior,  would be pretty accurate based on prior years bonus reports on BA, and pitchers I know who have been drafted in the last two years in those rounds. 
The one variable is a team like the Yankees which is more than willing to overpay if they feel the player has big upside and they had the player slotted higher than they were selected. At least physically, Yacko doesn't have the size that allows for a lot more projectability of the type the Yankees  pay for in later rounds.
If you have been through the draft, you know nothing is exact, except for those in the first few rounds, and sometimes not even for them.
Today, there are players being told rounds 7-15 and they won't be picked.
There are scouts calling telling kids the round that team will pick them....and they won't.
You just hope for the best for players like Yacko and the other DIII guys.  Hope they get picked, by a good organization where they can compete and get opportunities, and that the money vs getting the degree is  in the proper perspective.

dukes

Quote from: infielddad on June 02, 2008, 04:16:43 PM
Quote from: gatekeper43 on June 02, 2008, 01:26:12 PM

gatekeeper, it is very unlikely that there will be any offer in the $100,000's range if he is drafted after the 10th round.  MLB has issued more notices to teams this year about "slot" and staying within slot money
If he were to be picked between the 10th and 15th round, the numbers quoted of $30,000 to $50,000, for a junior,  would be pretty accurate based on prior years bonus reports on BA, and pitchers I know who have been drafted in the last two years in those rounds. 
The one variable is a team like the Yankees which is more than willing to overpay if they feel the player has big upside and they had the player slotted higher than they were selected. At least physically, Yacko doesn't have the size that allows for a lot more projectability of the type the Yankees  pay for in later rounds.
If you have been through the draft, you know nothing is exact, except for those in the first few rounds, and sometimes not even for them.
Today, there are players being told rounds 7-15 and they won't be picked.
There are scouts calling telling kids the round that team will pick them....and they won't.
You just hope for the best for players like Yacko and the other DIII guys.  Hope they get picked, by a good organization where they can compete and get opportunities, and that the money vs getting the degree is  in the proper perspective.

I would agree with the fact that the draft changes a lot from what the scouts tell a player/coach, and would add it is probably even more so for a junior from a D3 who has college eligibility left. So he may be a 10-15 round guy, but if he starts falling a team may not think he will sign for less, if he were slotted in the 20-25 rounds so they may not use a pick with the fear that it would be wasted if he went back to school. I wish more teams would draft and follow so a kid like Yacko could be drafted at say round 15....then if he didnt like the offer would have the option of playing the senior season at college and then possibly sign with the team. They seem to do it a lot more often for junior college players.

infielddad

dukes, MLB did away with the draft and follow beginning with the 2007 draft.  If you are drafted, you either sign by August 15 or go to school.  This is now true for the JC players also.

dukes

Quote from: infielddad on June 02, 2008, 05:23:50 PM
dukes, MLB did away with the draft and follow beginning with the 2007 draft.  If you are drafted, you either sign by August 15 or go to school.  This is now true for the JC players also.

Thank you, I did not know that. I used to see it a lot, and then no more and I guess I havent been following the draft as much in the last year. I kind of liked the draft and follow, but I think it was geared mostly to draft the high school kids, send him to a JC to see how he does, and then decide. But anyway, Thanks for the info!!

BigPoppa

Quote from: dukes on June 02, 2008, 05:29:43 PM
Quote from: infielddad on June 02, 2008, 05:23:50 PM

Thank you, I did not know that. I used to see it a lot, and then no more and I guess I havent been following the draft as much in the last year. I kind of liked the draft and follow, but I think it was geared mostly to draft the high school kids, send him to a JC to see how he does, and then decide. But anyway, Thanks for the info!!

Draft and follow was specifically for kids who enrolled in a JC. Once they enrolled in a four-year institution and started classes, their rights were no longer held by the drafting team. It only applied to students at two-year institutions.

The loss of the draft and follow has hurt the JC programs a bit as those drafted players that were previously steered towards a JC are now enrolling in four-year institutions (not all, but many). So still choose the JC route for one or two more years of strength and polishing where as the four-year players must wait at least three years to re-enter the draft.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Mr. Ypsi

As to the IWU draft candidates (Angel and Aronson), I stress that I have no insider info.  Since Angel is graduating, and was first-team all-CCIW all four years and last year was conference POY and first team AA, it would not surprise me if he was a late-round selection, and would almost certainly get some free agent invites (unless he has made it clear he plans to 'get on with his life'; I have no knowledge on that).  Ricky's stats tailed off a bit this year (could you really expect his slugging % to lead a good conference by a ridiculous 300+ points AGAIN!), but Big Poppa will probably still have nightmares for at least three seasons after he graduates! ;D

I would seriously doubt that Aronson, a junior, will be drafted, for two reasons.  After a freakish year last year, he tailed off a bit and was not even IWU's best pitcher this year (though still pretty darn good!).  And after what happened when Cory Lapinski left early in 2005 (conference POY [not 'pitcher', but 'player']; he is now already out of baseball), I doubt any Titan will leave early in the foreseeable future! ;)

BoomerIL

Mr. Ypsi.....

True when you speak about going to a school like IWU.  You really don't expect to leave before your four years are up, or to get drafted.  I did notice as you did that Angel did start out slow this season.  I also heard that Aronson's performance wasn't as good as last year because of maybe some arm soreness.  Did you hear any of this?
"You observe alot by watching"  -  Yogi Berra