D3 Championship Belt

Started by Just Bill, January 24, 2007, 02:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Just Bill on January 25, 2007, 08:55:19 AM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 25, 2007, 04:10:21 AM
This would be even cooler if there actually was a giant leather belt with shiny baubles and gewgaws all over it, as in boxing and professional wrestling.

Just Bill's To Do List:
1. Visit Leather shop (not that I know where it is  ;))
2. Visit Michael's Arts and Crafts
3. Construct Belt in garage
4. Write letter to NCAA
Quote from: Hoops Fan on January 25, 2007, 08:56:06 AM

You might want to move #4 up a few notches, you know, just in case they don't jump on the idea as much as we have, God forbid.
Actually I think that it is do-able.

1.  Procure 8-figure financing for the "Just Bill's NCAA D3 Basketball Championship Belt" marketing campaign to sponsor the "Just Bill's NCAA D3 Basketball Championship Belt" on all media presentations, including bannerspace on D3hoops.com
2.   Outline marketing campaign to present to the NCAA for the "Just Bill's NCAA D3 Basketball Championship Belt".
3.  Write catchy advertising jingle for the "Just Bill's NCAA D3 Basketball Championship Belt", advertising what exactly "Just Bill" does.
4. Visit Leather shop.
5. Visit Michael's Arts and Crafts
6. Construct Belt in garage
7. Fly to Indianapolis to make the presentation and then go to Salem in March, 2008 to make your first presentation of the"Just Bill's NCAA D3 Basketball Championship Belt".  ;)

Just Bill

Quote from: Ralph Turner on January 25, 2007, 09:08:20 AM
3.  Write catchy advertising jingle for the "Just Bill's NCAA D3 Basketball Championship Belt", advertising what exactly "Just Bill" does.
This is the one that will do me in.  I still haven't figured out exactly what it is I do, although my wife has a long list of those things that I don't do.  I figure eventually she'll eliminate all possibilites and whatever is left will be what it is I do.

Wouldn't it be great to see a team enter the gym, led by the team manager and a security entourage holding the Belt over their heads?
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Just Bill

Not to beat you over the head with this foolishness, but I was curious who might be holding the Belt in Division I right now.  This list is unbelieveable, a veritable "who's that" of college basketball:

Florida
Kansas
DePaul
Alabama-Birmingham
Virginia Commenwealth
Appalachain State
Elon
Chattanooga
Wofford
Charleston

Yes, the D-I Championship Belt is currently being kicked around the Southern Conference where it will likely stay until the NCAA Tournament.

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

A round of applause for Bill Self, ladies and gentlemen.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Just Bill on January 25, 2007, 06:02:25 PM
Not to beat you over the head with this foolishness, but I was curious who might be holding the Belt in Division I right now.  This list is unbelieveable, a veritable "who's that" of college basketball:

Florida
Kansas
DePaul
Alabama-Birmingham
Virginia Commenwealth
Appalachain State
Elon
Chattanooga
Wofford
Charleston

Yes, the D-I Championship Belt is currently being kicked around the Southern Conference where it will likely stay until the NCAA Tournament.

College of Charleston better make sure that some 6'8 kid doesn't steal the belt and spirit it off to Wilkes University.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Well... the belt now belongs to Emory & Henry! Big win over Vir. Wesleyan today!
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Just Bill

Ah, the Belt changes hands!  Emory & Henry becomes the fourth different holder of the Belt this season.

Emory & Henry 124, Viriginia Wesleyan 101.

Nov. 17-Nov. 27 - Virginia Wesleyan (lost to Averett 81-73)
Nov. 27-Jan. 2 - Averett (lost to Guilford 74-69)
Jan. 2-Jan. 7 - Guilford (lost to Virginia Wesleyan 75-55)
Jan. 7-Jan. 27 - Virginia Wesleyan (lost to Emory & Henry 124-101)
Jan. 27-Current - Emory & Henry

Next Championship Belt match:  Today, Randolph-Macon at Emory & Henry

Just Bill

Well, easy come, easy go I guess.  Emory & Henry barely had time to get the Belt resized before they handed it over to Randolph-Macon 106-102.

Nov. 17-Nov. 27 - Virginia Wesleyan
Nov. 27-Jan. 2 - Averett
Jan. 2-Jan. 7 - Guilford
Jan. 7-Jan. 27 - Virginia Wesleyan
Jan. 27-Jan. 28 - Emory & Henry
Jan. 28-Current - Randolph-Macon

Next Championship Belt match:   Lynchburg at Randolph-Macon, Wednesday.

Just Bill

The Yellow Jackets hold on the Belt in their first defense, beating Lynchburg 70-66.

Next Championship Belt match:  Saturday, Randolph-Macon at Washington & Lee

Gregory Sager

I wonder if Mike Rhoades took it off and horsewhipped Scottie2hottie with it after the game?
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

hopefan

I just had a thought  -  what if, in the non league part of the season, the belt passed on to a D2 or D1 school, or an NAIA school?   Or would those just be non title games???

Golly - a team could actuall hold dual titles!!!!
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Just Bill

Quote from: hopefan on February 01, 2007, 06:47:08 AM
I just had a thought  -  what if, in the non league part of the season, the belt passed on to a D2 or D1 school, or an NAIA school?   Or would those just be non title games???

Golly - a team could actuall hold dual titles!!!!
On the first page, I limited it to D-III teams, but hell, it's all fictional anyway.  Perhaps we could set up a unification match!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

You can't have the title if you're not approved by the organization.  It's like all those boxing federations.  You have to get approved in order to fight for the title.  Certainly we're not about to approve D2, let alone NAIA. Eww.

hopefan

If the titleholder played a game against a team from a non sanctioned organization, could the commission strip them of the belt?  We'd have to set up a royal rumble of 8 teams on the court at once, first team to 100 hoops is the new champ.
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Well we'll probably have to have an actual belt before we put together a belt commission.

Also, you might have to handicap the royal rumble.  100 hoops is no fair to Wittenberg if Grinnell or UPS is involved.