FB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sigma one

I can only tell my small part in the aftermath, but then I'd have to kill you--or myself.

Wabash1

Quote from: wally_wabash on October 24, 2017, 09:05:12 AM
Quote from: wally_wabash on October 21, 2017, 02:12:01 PM
The punt return thing is incredible.  It really is. Wabash has forfeited at least 60 yards of field position today because they don't catch punts.

Last thing I'm going to post about the punt return this season.   On Saturday Oberlin averaged 52.9 yards per punt on 8 punts.  Their average coming in to the game was 36.6 yards per punt (very respectable already).  On the 8 punts, Wabash surrendered a total of 130 yards of field position vs. Oberlin's per punt average entering the game.  That's a lot of yards to just give away for an offense that sometimes (often) really struggles with long fields.  Wabash was fortunate to take back all of those yards on two very long runs by Isaacs James and Avant, but you can't really count on a 75 yard run to get you out of jail multiple times in a game. 

Also of note here is that Oberlin p-b-p guy Don Vincent, who is clear and knowledgeable and funny and calls a fantastic game, pointed out that Oberlin's punter was punting a little more flat than usual and surmised, after 3-4 punts, that this was purposeful.  Wabash not fielding punts is now a thing that teams are game planning for because you can steal yards (lots of them) by short hopping the return guy. Everybody in the league sees it and is now weaponizing it on purpose.  Don Vincent astutely picked up on this just watching and calling the game. 

I'd say there are two options. 
- Have no return guy and sell out to block every single punt.
- Send two guys back, different depths, and fair catch everything.  No returns, just catch the damn thing.  Wabash did this against Denison to great effect.  They then immediately went away from it and got back to watching 65 yard punts roll dead inside the 5 on the regular. 

[/end rant]

Beat Witt!

This has not been a problem until last year. Why not just put one guy back that can and will catch the ball like in the past. You can't tell me there's not one guy on the roster that can catch punts on a consistent basis. In 2014 Wabash caught and returned 29 punts for 239 yards. This does not include fair catches(don't know where to find that stat). If memory serves me, most of the time there was only 1 person back.

Li'l Giant

Quote from: sigma one on October 24, 2017, 11:53:54 AM
I can only tell my small part in the aftermath, but then I'd have to kill you--or myself.

I learned of the Halloween Heist from you, in the American Lit of the 1920s class you taught that semester. IIRC you said that Depauw had "misplaced" the Bell.

Quote from: wally_wabash on October 24, 2017, 11:43:14 AM
I think next year somebody needs to do a 20-year retrospective with an oral history of the Halloween Heist.  That story needs to be told in its entirety. 

I still have both the issue of the Bachelor with the "hostage" photo and the milk carton t-shirt.
"I believe in God and I believe I'm gonna go to Heaven, but if something goes wrong and I end up in Hell, I know it's gonna be me and a bunch of D3 officials."---Erik Raeburn

Quote from: sigma one on October 11, 2015, 10:46:46 AMI don't drink with the enemy, and I don't drink lattes at all, with anyone.

smedindy

I just had to look this up.

In the past, some Wabash teams have fair caught punts quite a bit. I think once I said "Pete Logan back for the fair catch" on the PA.

But this isn't even fair catches.

This year Wabash has returned 11 of 45 punts for 58 yards. They've returned 24.4% of the punts. Wabash opponents have returned 10 of the LG's 28.

Four of those returns were against Hiram, and four against Oberlin.

In 2016, Wabash returned seven (7! Just 7!) punts for 43 yards. That's 9.4%. Opponents returned 16 of 63. 25.4%

In 2015, Wabash returned 36 punts out of 87 for 41.4%. Opponents returned 10 of 57 for 17.5%

Now, there are variables. The farther upfield you punt, the less likely to return, as you hope the punt goes into the end zone. If you have a bad punter, prone to shanks, you're not going to return many because they'll go OB.

But it does seem Wabash eschews returns more often than not, especially punts that go deep. Nothing wrong with a fair catch at the 15 or so, at least.

wally_wabash

Quote from: Li'l Giant on October 24, 2017, 12:04:27 PM
I think next year somebody needs to do a 20-year retrospective with an oral history of the Halloween Heist.  That story needs to be told in its entirety. 

I still have both the issue of the Bachelor with the "hostage" photo and the milk carton t-shirt.

I do remember being almost done with that week's edition of the Bachelor when the EIC came in and broke the news.  We had to completely scrap the front page and rearrange almost the entire issue at the last minute.  It was a long, but exciting night in the basement of the Chapel. 

The milk carton tshirt might be the GOAT. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Li'l Giant

Quote from: wally_wabash on October 24, 2017, 02:05:20 PM
Quote from: Li'l Giant on October 24, 2017, 12:04:27 PM

I do remember being almost done with that week's edition of the Bachelor when the EIC came in and broke the news.  We had to completely scrap the front page and rearrange almost the entire issue at the last minute.  It was a long, but exciting night in the basement of the Chapel. 

The milk carton tshirt might be the GOAT.

There were several memorable nights in the Bachelor office but that was a great one.
"I believe in God and I believe I'm gonna go to Heaven, but if something goes wrong and I end up in Hell, I know it's gonna be me and a bunch of D3 officials."---Erik Raeburn

Quote from: sigma one on October 11, 2015, 10:46:46 AMI don't drink with the enemy, and I don't drink lattes at all, with anyone.

wabndy

Thankfully - there is the bachelor archive.

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Li'l Giant

Quote from: wabndy on October 24, 2017, 02:20:21 PM

I forgot how ridiculous this story was. Yeah, Wally is right. Someone needs to get a hold of these guys and get a story ready for next year.

wally_wabash

Quote from: Li'l Giant on October 24, 2017, 02:53:34 PM

I forgot how ridiculous this story was. Yeah, Wally is right. Someone needs to get a hold of these guys and get a story ready for next year.

They should get recognition at halftime during one of the games like they do for anniversary undefeated teams. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

wabashcpa

"DePauw misplaces the Bell from time to time."

Yes, indeed.  Must be why they put the pressure sensor on it, since they are prone to misplacement.

Desertraider

I have read the history of the Bell and the rivalry - a truly great rivalry - and don't get it (the bell)..I mean its a bell. I think you really have to be Wabash or Depauw to understand it and that is how it should be. Then again my old HS plays our rival for a kettle and I never got that one either. Is what it is...HOWEVER - the heist sounded awesome. Reminds me of Navy/Army type stuff before the game. Stuff like this is why college ball - and really DIII ball - is way better than the Pros.
RIP MUC57 - Go Everybody!
National Champions: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017
The Autumn Wind is a Raider!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzEYK_XjyLg
Immaculate Prevention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLq_acsVN0

smedindy

In 1932 a railroad bell was a big f'n deal (H/T Joe Biden).

Breckenridgebear

Quote from: desertraider on October 24, 2017, 04:27:58 PM

I have read the history of the Bell and the rivalry - a truly great rivalry - and don't get it (the bell)..I mean its a bell. I think you really have to be Wabash or Depauw to understand it and that is how it should be. Then again my old HS plays our rival for a kettle and I never got that one either. Is what it is...HOWEVER - the heist sounded awesome. Reminds me of Navy/Army type stuff before the game. Stuff like this is why college ball - and really DIII ball - is way better than the Pros.

https://youtu.be/MhKtrOYJcB0
DePauw Never Quits

"This happens every year. It's the mere stupidity of supposedly mature college kids acting like a bunch of horse's dicks." - Officer Keller, The Crawfordsville Police Department

wally_wabash

Completely unrelated to anything at all that's been discussed in this forum since Saturday....

Congrats to Oberlin's Bryant Walker who has been selected to the D3football.com Team of the Week