MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopefan

Quote from: GU1999 on January 22, 2020, 05:06:38 PM
Firstly, I removed from best scorer consideration some folks who are very good at getting that tough contested bucket in big moments, but just do it with less regularity and efficiency (J. Johnson and Goodman types).  I also removed a few players who just haven't played enough games to merit serious consideration (Dehm and Bateman types). 

Player A, my best scorer,  currently sits at 62.55% efg% and a 64.8 TS% on 16.2 s/g and averages 22.3 ppg. He has a shooting slash of 50.6/42.3/90.9.  This individual also shoots a high percentage of more valuable shots which is baked into the efg% and TS% calculations.

Player B, the best player (due to floor game related stats), currently sits at 57.14% efg% and a 60.8% TS% on 17.26 s/g and averages 23.8 ppg.  With a shooting slash of 52.9/34.9/77.2.   I think it is very clear that he is the best player, it just takes him more shots to score his points.  This is why I do not have him as both the best player and best scorer, like Greek has already posited.     

It will be great tonight when Player A and Player B square off head to head.  No secret here that I have Player A = S. Grady and player B = D. Bennginton.

of note, Dehm and Bateman removed from best scorer consideration for failure to play enough games, although both still lose to Grady IMO.  Williams removed from best player consideration for same reason. 

Best player is not close in my opinion, but J. Johnson, Dorethy, Goodman, Thompson, Hayes etc were considered and fell short. 

Thank you for letting me stoke the fire a little for this evenings big game.  Good Luck to both teams.

Yes, I'd disagree....since the return of Williams and Bateman, Grady's numbers have gone down... he had to score more in their absence, he sees the ball less often sharing the court with one or the other... Dehm has scored 126 points in January.. 5 games, 25.2 ppg... throw out the first game he was back, a 10 point effort, and he has 116 in 4 games back...29 ppg
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

GU1999

Crazy game in Greenville.  GU wins by 3.  Game was very close the whole way.  Henry Johnson was amazing.  Bennington May have had a 30-20-5 game. 

hopefan

Unfortunate turnover with 9 seconds left kills a Eureka possession down 2... then after 1/2 from line for Greenville, EC can't get a reasonable 3 point attempt to tie...Greenville wins 146-143

I'm not sure if GU had announcers in prior games, but they did this game, and the fellow did a very good job... tough for him to keep up with every scoring play, but he did most of the time, and I appreciated knowing who was doing the scoring... I know Williams, Grady, Bateman, but gained a new appreciation for Henry Johnson, Chris Jackson, Rakim Murphy and others because they were identified....

It was a super game...

And ok, I'll probably take grief... but here is something I don't understand...
I have seen Children of Basketball staff act as "water-kids" for the players or floor sweepers..and that's fine.... but I have never seen a young child be included in the huddle, in all the bench action, right next to Dad the coach, including actually running out on the court with Dad as he protests a call to an official.. right next to him...and that's what is happening at Eureka....am I off in saying this just doesn't look quite right???   I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS ABUSIVE IN ANY WAY.. I'm just saying there is a time and place for young kids to be... and being that intertwined with the workings of a game is not necessarily it...   agree?  disagree?   please comment...

hopefan

Elsewhere, MacMurray STUNS Westminster... Webster gasps, holds on, Blackburn romps

y_jack_lok

Quote from: hopefan on January 22, 2020, 11:03:35 PM
Elsewhere, MacMurray STUNS Westminster... Webster gasps, holds on, Blackburn romps

You sure got that right. At least I was gasping in the stands the final few minutes. Great comeback by IWU. Nothing is easy for anyone this season.

hopefan

Quote from: y_jack_lok on January 23, 2020, 12:39:48 PM
Quote from: hopefan on January 22, 2020, 11:03:35 PM

You sure got that right. At least I was gasping in the stands the final few minutes. Great comeback by IWU. Nothing is easy for anyone this season.

Funny thing is, I originally posted Webster, Blackburn romp, having seem mid game scores... THEN, I checked final, and had to modify my post ;D ;D ;D

hopefan

hopefan standings through 9 games, ending the 1st half of the conference season:

Here is how it will work... Of the 10 teams, I will consider 6 teams as contenders for the 4 tourney slots,  4 teams not expected to contend.

The expectation is that each of the contenders will beat the 4 non contenders both home and away (leading to 8 wins)... and will win AT HOME vs each contender (leading to 5 wins)... 0 points are awarded for those wins, -1 point is awarded for any failure in winning those 13 games.  In addition, +1 point is awarded for any win on the road against a contender.    The four non contenders are not included in the standings, though a team could shift in status if it becomes obvious they are mis-classified...  So 13 wins was possible for each of the 6 contenders... it no longer is as there are already four losses to non contenders, games that can't be made up

6 contenders are Blackburn, Eureka, Fontbonne, Greenville, Westminster, and Westminster
4 non contenders are Iowa Wesleyan, MacMurray, Spalding, and Principia

1) Webster   0             Webster has followed the trail to 13 wins perfectly.. they beat the 4 non contenders, they won 3 games at home vs contenders, lost 2 vs contenders on the road.... If they beat the non contenders again in the 2nd half of conference season, and can win 2 vs contenders at home, they have 13 wins and a virtual lock for conf tourney, maybe even host...

2)  Blackburn  0           Blackburn lost at home to Eureka, but offset that with a road win at  Fontbonne.....  Why do they have 4 losses?   Because they played 4 contenders on the road... and lost to 3 of them... They have a bigger task ahead of them than Webster, as they have to win 4 games at home against contenders in order to get to 13 wins..   It will be very difficult....

3)  Greenville   -1         Greenville lost to non contender MacMurray... to get to 13 wins, they need to beat 4 noncontenders and Fontbonne at home.. They have all other contenders on the road, needing to win 1 of those games.   I think chances are very good....

4)  Eureka         -1         Eureka won on the road at Blackburn, but lost at home to Westminster, and lost to non contender Spalding.... To get to 13 wins, They need to win games with non contenders, 3 home games against contenders, AND a road game vs Westminster or Webster... not an easy task to complete..

5) Westminster -1      Westminster won at Eureka, but lost at home to Fontbonne, and lost to non contender MacMurray...To get to 13 wins, they need to beat the non contenders, beat the 3 favored contenders (WU, GU, EC) at home, and win on the road vs either Fontbonne or Blackburn... very tough

6) Fontbonne   -1     Fontbonne won at Westminster, but lost at home vs Blackburn, and lost to non contender Iowa Wesleyan.... To get to 13 wins, they need to beat the non contenders, win 2 home games vs contenders, and win one of 3 road games vs Eureka, Greenville or Blackburn.. a slightly better shot than some others...

So for anyone who read this and understood... the 4 losses to non contenders thus far are just killers...

GU1999

Hope - This is really great.  I appreciate the work you have put into this again this year.  If I were deciphering your notes at the end of each team break down, and if you had to prognosticate it today, have the hierarchy

1) Webster
2) GU
3) Fontbonne
4) Eureka
T-5) Blackburn/Westmin

hopefan

Today's games.   1/25/20

Blackburn at Eureka             EC won by 10 at BC earlier.... absolutely crucial game for both teams.. I think EC sweeps this series

Mac at Fontbonne              Font crushed Mac earlier.... watch for an upset from "up" Mac team... but in the end, I have to go with Fontbonne close

Iowa Wes at Prin                IWU won up at Iowa.... Trevaughn, do your thing.. win this game...

Spalding at Webster            Webster won ugly earlier... There is no way in the world they let down enough to let Jaiquan Edwards beat them singlehanded

Greenville at Westmin          Crucial for Westmin, they played great at Greenville... would love to see WC win to keep things interesting, but with Williams
                                           and Bateman back, gotta go with GU

hopefan

Thank you GU and a plus 1 for being the first and only responder to my hopefan standings... I hope at there were a few others that at least read it..

so in my never ending quest to generate interest in SLIAC Board writings, which I seem to be abysmally failing at (ie, I guess it's who cares if the coach has his daughter running out on the court with him during the game - it happens all the time)...             

anyway, I'll throw this one out...
In my player performance reviews, there is clearly a top five emerging, which will make it easy to select my SLIAC first team if that trend continues...
Can anybody guess who they are?   or does nobody give a rip?   I'd also say that among the top 5, nobody has pulled away as a leading candidate for MOP.

call me grouchy this morning... dog got me up early... but I'd never get mad at her....

y_jack_lok

Quote from: hopefan on January 25, 2020, 07:23:51 AM
Today's games.   1/25/20

Spalding at Webster   Webster at Spalding         Webster won ugly earlier... There is no way in the world they let down enough to let Jaiquan Edwards beat them singlehanded

Greek Tragedy

hopefan,

I can only speak for myself here. But, I think we all enjoy your posts. Unfortunately, a lot of us do not have a lot to contribute because what we know of the SLIAC is because of you.

With Eric Williams back in the fold, I'll put my money on Greenville. As you said earlier, Williams will be the focal point, not Grady. Eureka needs to be more consistant. I can't believe they are only 5-4.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

hopefan

WOW.... Spalding dressing 6 vs  Webster... no Jaiquan Edwards either....

Maybe Prin could lend them a couple of players... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

y_jack_lok

Quote from: hopefan on January 25, 2020, 03:55:11 PM
WOW.... Spalding dressing 6 vs  Webster... no Jaiquan Edwards either....

Maybe Prin could lend them a couple of players... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

At the end of the first half the announcers joked about suiting up.

Ronald Reagan

My Red Devils do exactly what you can't do this time of year...lose a crucial conference game at home. In my years of following EC men's basketball from above, this unfortunately is a trend.

The Gipper is sad.
Eureka College class of 1932. 40th President of the United States of America.