BB: OAC: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, January 09, 2006, 11:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bishopleftiesdad

Yeah I know, Just could not resist putting it in there. I keep forgetting that LaRoche and the AMCC are now in the mideast,

Dr. Acula

Mount freshman Phil Mary took a perfect game into the 6th against Alma today.  Mary ended up throwing all 7 IP and posting a 2-hit shutout with 12 K in his first collegiate start.  Congrats on the first W!

Dr. Acula

Mount dropped the 2nd game to Alma 4-3.  0-3 in 1 run games so far.

Ott finished wasting their time with North Central (MN) with a 33-3 win.  I'm not sure what you gain from playing a team like that 3 times beyond inflating your confidence and stats. 

JCU went down to RHIT 4-2.

ONU lost a tough one to #22 Wartburg 3-2.

EttaFan1

"Just like Football" these preseason polls are a complete waste of time.  The polls are strictly based on where a team finished last year, and not much else.  I'm not even sure too many paid any attention to roster turnover to come up with their opinions on where teams should be ranked. 

Spring trips will sort a lot of teams out.  I think Cortland is probably pretty good, if not really good.  I think the Jury is out on Marietta right now gritty wins, but still as many questions as answers.  They went 3-1 but it remains to be seen how good Lynchburg, Methodist, and Neumann are going to be.  We'll know a lot more when everyone gets to Florida.

As far as playing someone like Otterbein played?  Three times is a bit much.  Once would be sufficient and it really doesn't help you get that much better or tell you much about your team.

Westside

Quote from: EttaFan1 on March 02, 2016, 09:02:25 AM
"Just like Football" these preseason polls are a complete waste of time.  The polls are strictly based on where a team finished last year, and not much else.  I'm not even sure too many paid any attention to roster turnover to come up with their opinions on where teams should be ranked.

Where are you getting this information? I know that I personally spend hours going over team rosters, summer information, incoming recruits, etc. when filling out my preseason poll. I don't think it is fair to make a broad, sweeping generalization when it isn't necessarily true for everyone.
NWC Baseball

Bishopleftiesdad

Than
Quote from: Westside on March 02, 2016, 10:16:45 AM

Where are you getting this information? I know that I personally spend hours going over team rosters, summer information, incoming recruits, etc. when filling out my preseason poll. I don't think it is fair to make a broad, sweeping generalization when it isn't necessarily true for everyone.
Thanks for your service west side. What teams do you look at? I understand you spend hours but that is certainly not enough time to review every team. How do you narrow down your search?

Dr. Acula

Yesterday was a slow day with only Ott playing.  The Cards are now 5-0 after a 3-1 win over SUNY Old Westbury.

Today has a couple nice games with JCU vs Wartburg and ONU vs SJF.  Cap also plays Hanover.

Dr. Acula

As far as playing someone like Otterbein played?  Three times is a bit much.  Once would be sufficient and it really doesn't help you get that much better or tell you much about your team.

I can see once for sure.  Get your backups a chance to get some AB's and IP.  But 3 straight games I guess I just don't see the point. 

Dr. Acula

Quote from: Westside on March 02, 2016, 10:16:45 AM

I'm sure you and the other voters do your research.  But I also don't think you can necessarily fault EttaFan for wondering aloud.  The results of the preseason poll do scream "last year's results".  The preseason top 10 features teams ranked no worse than #11 in the final 2015 poll.  The top 25 overall is 23 teams from the final poll plus Etta and Southern Maine (two historically strong programs that are easy to put in a preseason poll site unseen).  For the record, I have no issue with the preseason poll.  It's fine because once games start the voters have no problem moving teams up or down drastically based on results.  That's all you can ask, IMO.

Bishopleftiesdad

I agree, and do not mind the preseason Poll. Trying to find out information about D3 teams has tough before the season starts. So pollsters have to use the information they have. Many times that is what they  did last year and historically.
I sometimes get frustrated once the season starts and teams are beating tough OOC foes but get ignored in the polls.
OWU, beat BW, Marietta, and Heidelberg last year, Plus St John Fisher. And they did not get much love. Now I have to admit they hurt themselves losing to some of the teams they lost to. These wins were not 1 run games some of them were significant. In the end they hurt themselves, There were enough Shoulda, Coulda's to their season last year. So while I was disappointed I can understand. It just seems that These teams were not effected by losing to OWU, and OWU did not get any benefit buy beating these teams.

Dr. Acula

Nice win for JCU yesterday.  They beat Wartburg 5-1.  In the other games Cap won and ONU lost.  Lots more action today.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on March 03, 2016, 11:24:41 AM
I agree, and do not mind the preseason Poll. Trying to find out information about D3 teams has tough before the season starts. So pollsters have to use the information they have. Many times that is what they  did last year and historically.
I sometimes get frustrated once the season starts and teams are beating tough OOC foes but get ignored in the polls.
OWU, beat BW, Marietta, and Heidelberg last year, Plus St John Fisher. And they did not get much love. Now I have to admit they hurt themselves losing to some of the teams they lost to. These wins were not 1 run games some of them were significant. In the end they hurt themselves, There were enough Shoulda, Coulda's to their season last year. So while I was disappointed I can understand. It just seems that These teams were not effected by losing to OWU, and OWU did not get any benefit buy beating these teams.

For the preseason Top 25 every voter is given a record of the teams previous ranking, ranking in any preseason polls,  records for the last 5 years, Playoff success over the last 10 years, a summary of returning players (starters and reserves).

For the regular season poll the record and results are provided, ranked by vote totals.  A number of additional teams are also included, usually based on record.
The list is made up of every team that qualified for the playoffs at least once in the last 10 years.

Dr. Acula

Nice win for Cap this afternoon over RHIT 11-9.  The Crusaders are 5-2 so far and hitting the ball well.

Dr. Acula

Friday Recap:

Mount (4-4) swept Roger Williams.  They got a walk off single from Mitchell Lake to win 8-7 in the opener.  In the second game they rode a strong start from Clarke to a 7-1 win.

Berg (1-3) lost a single game to Spalding 7-6.  Spalding split with BW earlier.

JCU (5-2) swept Rhode Island College 5-3 and 4-3.

ONU (3-3) pummeled St. Vincent 22-1.

Ott (5-1) dropped their first game of the year to Mitchell 7-6.

Dr. Acula

Mount (5-5) splits with Marymount in a couple low scoring affairs.  Marymount walked off on a suicide squeeze winning 3-2.  Skladan pitched all 7 IP for Mount.  In the 2nd game Mount returned the favor winning on a walk off 2B by Jimmy Scott in the 8th 2-1.  Taylor had his same line score as his first start going 7 very strong innings allowing only 1 R again today.  I especially love to see the 7 K, 0 BB.