FB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

formerd3db

Quote from: Pat Coleman on August 01, 2020, 02:23:12 PM
Mutineers -- wow. Harsh! :)

Yeah, probably, Pat! My attempt at levity (poor). 🙂 Although, I was also relating somewhat today past history, as you know, since a couple of member schools have been reprimanded for not confirming to conference unity. One way before even my time, that of Hillsdale being kicked out of the league back in 1960 for playing in post season bowl games!
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

waxx

Quote from: formerd3db on August 01, 2020, 04:42:35 PM

Yeah, probably, Pat! My attempt at levity (poor). 🙂 Although, I was also relating somewhat today past history, as you know, since a couple of member schools have been reprimanded for not confirming to conference unity. One way before even my time, that of Hillsdale being kicked out of the league back in 1960 for playing in post season bowl games!

Wow I had to look it up to because I've never heard that story. https://i.imgur.com/yMKCZr8.jpg

Next question is: Hillsdale was called the Dales?

sac

Yes they were the Dales until 1968.

http://hillsdalecollegian.com/2013/10/hillsdale-did-not-always-charge-on/

Hillsdale's last MIAA football season was 1960, other than playing Olivet three times in 68, 69 and 75 neither the Dales or Chargers have played any other MIAA program in football since.  I don't think they've met much in any other sport either, and I do wonder if Hillsdale is considered sort of "off limits" for MIAA athletic directors.

Anyway, Hillsdale is full of characters and good stories.

TUAngola

Trine University conducted their 1st round of Covid19 tests to their student athletes this week as the university started the fall semester on Monday.  Out of 1,142 student athletes tested, 9 results were positive, all individuals were asymptomatic, positivity rate of 0.8%.  All fall sports teams are practicing to some extent, obviously practices look much different, keeping groups small.  I listened to a Trine Broadcasting Network interview of AD Matt Land today.  With the MIAA moving fall conference competiton to the spring, the Trine fall seasons will look much different.  He said in football they might be able to play 2, 3, or 4 games, no fans other than possibly family.  Still lots of unknowns of course.     

jamtod

Quote from: TUAngola on August 12, 2020, 06:45:51 PM
Trine University conducted their 1st round of Covid19 tests to their student athletes this week as the university started the fall semester on Monday.  Out of 1,142 student athletes tested, 9 results were positive, all individuals were asymptomatic, positivity rate of 0.8%.  All fall sports teams are practicing to some extent, obviously practices look much different, keeping groups small.  I listened to a Trine Broadcasting Network interview of AD Matt Land today.  With the MIAA moving fall conference competiton to the spring, the Trine fall seasons will look much different.  He said in football they might be able to play 2, 3, or 4 games, no fans other than possibly family.  Still lots of unknowns of course.     
At that point, how do you justify the cost? Assuming you aren't bubbling these student athletes, this testing won't be a one-time thing.

TUAngola

Quote from: jamtod on August 12, 2020, 06:49:11 PM
At that point, how do you justify the cost? Assuming you aren't bubbling these student athletes, this testing won't be a one-time thing.
Matt didn't bring up the cost aspect in the interview.  Obviously testing is not a one time thing but ongoing.  If it was going to be cost prohibitive I don't think Trine would be wanting to do fall sports, maybe alums with deep pockets are donating towards covid costs.  I do know enrollment is up again, it is a yearly thing for Trine.  Especially when a lot of colleges and universities Trine's size are seeing between 5 and 25 percent decrease in enrollment. 

formerd3db

Quote from: TUAngola on August 12, 2020, 07:00:50 PM
Matt didn't bring up the cost aspect in the interview.  Obviously testing is not a one time thing but ongoing.  If it was going to be cost prohibitive I don't think Trine would be wanting to do fall sports, maybe alums with deep pockets are donating towards covid costs.  I do know enrollment is up again, it is a yearly thing for Trine.  Especially when a lot of colleges and universities Trine's size are seeing between 5 and 25 percent decrease in enrollment.

So are they quarantining these athletes who tested positive as well as the rest of the team and coaching staff? Regardless of how small the numbers of positive tests are, that is a concern. I can't imagine they do not have some sort of contingency plan for that, it was part of the discussions in the confernce meetings this summer for all the schools. But then again, I perhaps your school is simply blazing on their own, which wouldn't surprise me since they (and Adrian) decided to not be unified wirh the conference. Also, am surprised that AD Land would not address the costs of testing regardless of who is financing it-should be shared with the public at some point. Perhaps he will do so in the near future.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

TUAngola

Quote from: formerd3db on August 12, 2020, 09:15:48 PM
Quote from: TUAngola on August 12, 2020, 07:00:50 PM

So are they quarantining these athletes who tested positive as well as the rest of the team and coaching staff? Regardless of how small the numbers of positive tests are, that is a concern. I can't imagine they do not have some sort of contingency plan for that, it was part of the discussions in the confernce meetings this summer for all the schools. But then again, I perhaps your school is simply blazing on their own, which wouldn't surprise me since they (and Adrian) decided to not be unified wirh the conference. Also, am surprised that AD Land would not address the costs of testing regardless of who is financing it-should be shared with the public at some point. Perhaps he will do so in the near future.
Trine is closely following NCAA guidelines in tandem with community health partners and government health officials.  Protocols are in place which includes quarantining the affected student athletes.  The costs of covid19 safety is huge for all colleges and universities.  I remember seeing a breakdown of the costs at Trine a long time ago but can't remember where I read it.  AD Land did not address this aspect in the TBN interview as it was not a question brought up by the moderator, that is not to say Land is keeping everything secretive, it just wasn't a question that was asked.  Those figures are publicly available pretty much at every institution if you do some research in .edu websites. 

Pat Coleman

As part of our current podcast, we talk with Adrian coach Jim Deere about the players his program has on campus and what they intend to do this fall:
https://www.d3blogs.com/d3football/2020/08/13/atn-podcast-277-the-teams-left-standing/
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

formerd3db

I wasn't implying that Land was keeping anything secretive. Obviously, not hearing the interview of the TBN you mention, I was just somewhat surprised that he didn't mention it as it is a part of the overall process regardless if the moderator didn't ask the question. I am aware such is public information and available for those who want to check it out. I know the numbers that were calculated for Hope and it is, indeed, tremendously expensive as you mention.

formerd3db

Pat, I have not had the opportunity to listen to your podcast as yet, however, will look forward to doing so in the next day or so and what Deere has to say (which is also, by way of AD Duffy as well, of course.) Thanks for the reminder.

MUC57

I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

TUAngola

Trine football opens at NAIA Indiana Weleyan on Sept 18 in Marion, IN.  Not sure if it will be a "real" game or just a controlled scimmage.  Trine also plays home to NAIA Judson on Sept 26 and at Adrian on Oct 3.  I don't forsee them scheduling any more than these 3 games in the fall, but then again everything is very fluid in the world of sports these days.   

waxx

Quote from: TUAngola on August 26, 2020, 05:26:31 PM
Trine football opens at NAIA Indiana Weleyan on Sept 18 in Marion, IN.  Not sure if it will be a "real" game or just a controlled scimmage.  Trine also plays home to NAIA Judson on Sept 26 and at Adrian on Oct 3.  I don't forsee them scheduling any more than these 3 games in the fall, but then again everything is very fluid in the world of sports these days.

If I remember correctly, Adrian Coach Jim Deere mentioned playing Trine twice during the d3football podcast.

footballfan43

Has anyone heard of any positive cases amongst the MIAA this fall with Covid19?