The Top 10 Eastern Region teams of the D3football.com Era

Started by pg04, June 30, 2007, 04:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MUC57

UfanBill

Thanks. I needed that! I seem to get -k even when I don't post. Ah, such is life.
Don't know who your team is but I wish them the best. Well, unless they're playing Mount Union.
Hey, I always hope every team plays it's best. Gotta love Dlll football. ☠🏈😀🍺
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

Bartman

Quote from: MUC57 on June 15, 2018, 03:15:45 PM

Bartman

We ALL need the season to start!
I find your stats very interesting. Have never seen them presented in this format before. I assume these are rankings at any time during the season. Right? As opposed to preseason only or end of season only?
I really like them. To me, they tell a story of success (or not so much).
Go Hobart! Go Mount Union! You guessed it, Go Everybody! ☠🏈

Thanks MUC57,
         These are End of Season polls from D3.com . I edited my post to note this. I could do MUC , but it would probably be 15 years of top 5, plus another category for Championships...very boring 8-)
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Bartman

Quote from: MUC57 on June 15, 2018, 03:22:31 PM

Hey Bartman

If dlip can give you a +k, I can too. You got it! ☠🏈

Thanks MUC57, but I would trade all of my +k's for one of your Championships. Hope to see you guys play at the Boz again in my lifetime with the right ending ;D
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

MUC57

Bartman

At my age, I'll be happy to see Mount Union play anywhere, even the Boz. If you've looked at other boards, you'll see - I'm old. I get mixed up and i forget things! ☠🏈🍺

Bartman

Quote from: MUC57 on June 16, 2018, 08:55:10 AM

Bartman

At my age, I'll be happy to see Mount Union play anywhere, even the Boz. If you've looked at other boards, you'll see - I'm old. I get mixed up and i forget things! ☠🏈🍺
MUC57....good luck to the Raiders this season and +k for longevity , a tough crowd on the North boards , where I seem to pick up a -k just for venturing in the neighborhood...much safer over here.
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

MUC57

Bartman

Don't know why you would get -k on the North board. You're one of the more sensible and good guys on these boards. But then again, I get -k when I don't even post. I don' really worry about that karma stuff.
Good luck to Hobart on the season. Seems like they're always in the hunt. And, if it's applicable, Happy Father's Day. 🇺🇸😀

Bartman

Quote from: dlip on June 15, 2018, 03:16:50 PM
Quote from: Bartman on June 15, 2018, 01:45:42 PM
Ok, here are some stats from last 15 years(D3football goes back to 2003), Includes Wesley All years, Ranked by times in Top 25

Team                  Top 25          Top10          Top 5
   1.Wesley              13                11               4
   2.Hobart                8                  2               -
   3.SJ Fisher             7                  3               1
   4.Del Val                7                  2               2
   5.Rowan                6                   3               1
   6.Ithaca                 6                  1                -
   7.Cortland             5                   1
   8.Salisbury            5                   1               -
   9.Frosty                 2                   1
  10.Brockport           2                   1
  HM.Albright             2
       Alfred                 2
      Union                  2
      RPI (03 Team)      1                  1               1

If anyone checks these numbers and finds an error, congratulations you are more of a Nerd than I am ;)
I must REALLY need the season to start......

Good stuff Bartman +k and yes those Hobart teams were quite nasty and certainly worthy of consideration. Wesley is a ****ing beast!

Dlip,
    Looking prior to 2003, great years for Union in 83 and 89 as national runners up ...and Ithaca, current LL member, with National titles in 79,88 and 91. I don't think the current LL will ever get to this level again, but just fighting for and obtaining the LL title and winning a couple in the tourney is good enough for me .
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

Bombers798891

The polls don't have as much sway with me as the individual takes fans have on their program's best teams.

The 2013 Bombers were a lot of fun to watch. But there's simply no way they were better than the '04, '07, or '08 teams, polls be darned. I know I've heard Fisher fans talk about their '10 team in a similar fashion.

Bartman

Bombers,
     Agree on your point about insights from fans v rankings. I looked back and I am even more convinced that the Hobart team of 2012 was our best. 12-1 record with disappointing one sided loss to St. Thomas in final 8 with a flat performance...... team had 5,386 yards gained vs 3,133 against, Points scored 469 vs. 225 against, with Tyre Coleman(Regional DPY) and All American 1st team, Devin Worthington OLB and second team AA, Nick Auriemma, NG, 3rd team AA, and on offense, Art Garvey OG, first team AA, Ali Marpet,nuff said, with 2 great backs in Steven Webb and Bobby Dougherty both All region. If we had Shane Sweeney and Brandon Shed on that team???...........fun to think about.
    It will be interesting to see the 2018 Bombers development this year, as they should be the preseason pick to win the LL. At least Hobart gets to play them at the Boz.
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

dlippiel

Quote from: Bartman on June 19, 2018, 11:24:49 AM
Quote from: dlip on June 15, 2018, 03:16:50 PM
Quote from: Bartman on June 15, 2018, 01:45:42 PM
Ok, here are some stats from last 15 years(D3football goes back to 2003), Includes Wesley All years, Ranked by times in Top 25

Team                  Top 25          Top10          Top 5
   1.Wesley              13                11               4
   2.Hobart                8                  2               -
   3.SJ Fisher             7                  3               1
   4.Del Val                7                  2               2
   5.Rowan                6                   3               1
   6.Ithaca                 6                  1                -
   7.Cortland             5                   1
   8.Salisbury            5                   1               -
   9.Frosty                 2                   1
  10.Brockport           2                   1
  HM.Albright             2
       Alfred                 2
      Union                  2
      RPI (03 Team)      1                  1               1

If anyone checks these numbers and finds an error, congratulations you are more of a Nerd than I am ;)
I must REALLY need the season to start......

Good stuff Bartman +k and yes those Hobart teams were quite nasty and certainly worthy of consideration. Wesley is a ****ing beast!

Dlip,
    Looking prior to 2003, great years for Union in 83 and 89 as national runners up ...and Ithaca, current LL member, with National titles in 79,88 and 91. I don't think the current LL will ever get to this level again, but just fighting for and obtaining the LL title and winning a couple in the tourney is good enough for me .

dlip is with you here 1000%. A national championship is just not in the cards for an LL team (most likely in our lifetime) unless the dynamic of the D3 make-up changes (which in fairness it has since the 80's and even 90's). Winning the LL title and getting to the NCAA's is where it's at for us. Honestly, to dlip, a top ten ranking (realistically 5-10) at the end of the season would almost parallel a national championship to dlip, for an LL and/or E8 team.

AUPepBand

Quote from: Bombers798891 on June 19, 2018, 12:49:38 PM
The polls don't have as much sway with me as the individual takes fans have on their program's best teams.

The 2013 Bombers were a lot of fun to watch. But there's simply no way they were better than the '04, '07, or '08 teams, polls be darned. I know I've heard Fisher fans talk about their '10 team in a similar fashion.

That 2010 Fisher team was sick. The Saxons were pretty good that year, too...and Pep is thinking a trick play that resulted in an AU touchdown, a masterfully called and exquisitely executed play, doomed a Cardinal crew that could have made some noise in the NCAAs.
On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

Machiavelli

I know everyone will resonate to more recent success, but for anyone who was around, this list cannot start without these teams from the earlier(<2005) years:

Rowan 1999, 2001 and 2005
Widener 2000 and 2001
RPI 2003
Brockport 2002
Del Valley 2005

I'm sure I left one or 2 out, but these ones are memorable. Ranking these alone, i'd put them:

1 - Rowan 1999
2 - Widener 2000
3 - Brockport 2002
4 - Rowan 2001
5 - Widener 2001
6 - RPI 2003
7 - Rowan 2005
8 -  Del Valley 2005

@d3jason

Quote from: Machiavelli on June 25, 2018, 12:53:59 PM
I know everyone will resonate to more recent success, but for anyone who was around, this list cannot start without these teams from the earlier(<2005) years:

Rowan 1999, 2001 and 2005
Widener 2000 and 2001
RPI 2003
Brockport 2002
Del Valley 2005

I'm sure I left one or 2 out, but these ones are memorable. Ranking these alone, i'd put them:

1 - Rowan 1999
2 - Widener 2000
3 - Brockport 2002
4 - Rowan 2001
5 - Widener 2001
6 - RPI 2003
7 - Rowan 2005
8 -  Del Valley 2005

I would put the '01 Rowan up higher, they may have been the best team in D-III that year, but for the longest second ever at Bridgewater during the semifinals.

MUC57

@d3jason

I agree with you on the 2001 Rowan team. The semifinal with Bridgewater had a strange final minute to end the game. That'll be talked about in Glassboro for a long time. Instead, BC had to play Mount Union in the Stagg instead of Rowan. Close game, 30-27, won by the Raiders. If Rowan had played, who knows the outcome.
Hope you don't mind an old Mount guy jumping in on your board. Just wanted to agree with you. I'm sure that made your day.
Good luck to all your teams in the fall. There are some really good teams in the East. Hopefully they'll get the recognition they deserve. ☠🏈

gordonmann

I'm not sure which version of Del Val was better -- 2005 or 2017. One was led by the offense, the other by the defense. Something to debate on road trips next year.