FB: Middle Atlantic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITH radio

Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 05, 2012, 10:50:38 PM
Can't ignore them, but can't evaluate them based on non-conference games, this is true. I think we have to take on faith that a NESCAC football team is somewhat equivalent to the ones in the Liberty League that are most similar in the region.

Agree and/or Centennial given schools like JHU, F&M, and so on. 
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

PBR...

Sad day for DVC and D3 fans former DVC wr Don Marshall lost his battle with cancer.... Was 1 of the better D3 wr's PBR has seen.... Gone but not forgotten...
http://athletics.delval.edu/news/2012/12/12/fb_12marshall.aspx

SUADC

Quote from: PBR... on December 12, 2012, 09:37:47 PM
Sad day for DVC and D3 fans former DVC wr Don Marshall lost his battle with cancer.... Was 1 of the better D3 wr's PBR has seen.... Gone but not forgotten...
http://athletics.delval.edu/news/2012/12/12/fb_12marshall.aspx

I am truly saddened by this, my prayers and condolences goes out to his family, the DVC community, and the Bladensburg community. I saw updates on facebook about it...he was from the same area as me, I had a chance to go toe to toe with him my freshmen year in 2006 in the ECAC Bowl. He was a tremendous athlete, he was a inspiration to many young men coming out a tough area of P.G. County.

gordonmann

Don Marshall was a special player.  He was a tall, athletic receiver whose talent put him at a different level on most Saturday's.

Marshall's signature play was a 90-yard touchdown catch as part of a wild back-and-forth victory over Susquehanna early in Delaware Valley's magical 2004 season.  Pat Cummings had the play-by-play call and it was so good, D3football used it in its playoff intro for years.

Don is fixed in my mind as one half of the "Dynamic Duo" with David Carmon who was the perfect complement.  Marshall would stretch the field and Carmon would take advantage underneath.  Add John Kiphorn at wide receiver, Adam Knoblauch at quarterback and GA Mangus as the play caller and it was great fun.

Even today, it's hard to say Don's name without smiling.  Like so many young men on those Delaware Valley teams from 2004 and 2005, his name immediately brings to mind great memories.

As a young man, he's gone way, way too soon. As an Aggie, his memory remains.

bman

Wow...That was a shocker out of Chester...

Hopefully we will not regress like we did when Zwaan left...

PBR...

Quote from: bman on December 20, 2012, 12:06:10 AM
Wow...That was a shocker out of Chester...

Hopefully we will not regress like we did when Zwaan left...

Indeed...any reason given or is the rumor mill running? Seems kinda a strange move IMHO...

pumkinattack

I'm not surprised with Collins.  He did spend a long time with 1-AA (though mediocre would be kind) Columbia and I think he wanted more.  Some guys will stick around and go at it for the long haul, others want more.  I think Collins wanted more and, it's easier to stay in, say Geneva NY (where Coach Cragg had some success at an early enough age that he probably had some opportunities to move up, but you can buy a nice lake house for $200-250k) than a much more expensive place like a suburb of Philly. 

bman

Quote from: pumkinattack on December 21, 2012, 09:58:17 AM
but you can buy a nice lake house for $200-250k) than a much more expensive place like a suburb of Philly.

And Chester isn't exactly easy on the eyes....

bill

I must admit, this one has me stumped. I'm not surprised that Ike left, but I am surperised that he went for DII Seton Hill. I always thought he was using Widener as the stepping stone up (and perhaps he still is stepping up), but I thougt it would be 1-aa from here, not PSAC.

bman - any chance there was a disagreement over recruiting/numbers to hit, or something like that? Do we think Fett has a real shot at this job?

Either way, I wish both of them well!
"To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day."

bman

Quote from: bill on December 23, 2012, 10:20:37 PM
I must admit, this one has me stumped. I'm not surprised that Ike left, but I am surperised that he went for DII Seton Hill. I always thought he was using Widener as the stepping stone up (and perhaps he still is stepping up), but I thougt it would be 1-aa from here, not PSAC.

bman - any chance there was a disagreement over recruiting/numbers to hit, or something like that? Do we think Fett has a real shot at this job?

Bill

I think he does, ...he certainly brings a great (local) pedigree, and a link to some local powerhouse schools (Coatesville especially and to a lesser extent Downingtown.)..so that would help lure some of the local talent away from schools like umm Del Val... ::), and he certainly has assisted in the success of his collegiate teams..but I find it odd that they keep stressing that they are doing a national search... I'm wondering if he wants it, or they don't see him being successful in that role...I'm wondering if, the school admin, to a degree, is a bit reluctant to hire an asst coach, after hiring coach Wood...

Since they didn't invite me to be on the committe (Still not sure why :)...) I'll have to get the news when the announce it...

Happy holidays to all...

Pat Coleman

Quote from: bill on December 23, 2012, 10:20:37 PM

Considering Zwaan went from Widener to a D-II head coaching job, I'm not surprised. There aren't many coaches who can pull off a direct-to-scholarship-FCS head coach leap out of D-III, and even the last guy who did so had a connection. (You know, K.C. Keeler.)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

bill

Pat

I realize there are very few like Keeler...but Ike came to DIII with quite a pedigree. He's already been an assistant & coordinator at some very good FCS programs, so it's not like a FCS coordinator job is something new for him. I really thought he would put in 3-5 years at Widener, have playoff success, and "prove" he can be a head coach. From there I saw him landing a lower FCS job like an NEC spot, or a team in need of rebuilding....

I know some people may disagree with me, but I'm not sure the HC job at Seton Hill is equivalent to the DC job at a Holy Cross or Citadel, but that's just my opinion!

Oh well...Merry Christmas everyone!
"To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day."

Pat Coleman

Quote from: bill on December 24, 2012, 11:29:26 PM
Pat

I realize there are very few like Keeler...but Ike came to DIII with quite a pedigree. He's already been an assistant & coordinator at some very good FCS programs, so it's not like a FCS coordinator job is something new for him. I really thought he would put in 3-5 years at Widener, have playoff success, and "prove" he can be a head coach. From there I saw him landing a lower FCS job like an NEC spot, or a team in need of rebuilding....

I know some people may disagree with me, but I'm not sure the HC job at Seton Hill is equivalent to the DC job at a Holy Cross or Citadel, but that's just my opinion!

Oh well...Merry Christmas everyone!

True, no doubt. But Keeler went to the Stagg Bowl four times. But also, Delaware is not just any FCS head coaching job, I know.

Seton Hill is interesting -- seems like they had success under a previous coach and that fell apart. Moving to the PSAC this year with the WVIAC falling apart.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

WUDLINE

Bman & others

Though the location is a surprise, Collins leaving is not. The rumors had him looking for other jobs all year, as well as some other members of the staff. Also, I think that this move does represent a nice step up for Ike. He did a nice job of putting the program back on the right track and getting WU'S Admin to recommit to football.

Bman - Wood was a much better sell to the players and alumni then Fett. Wood was a WU alum and Delco resident, and had been on the Wu staff since his playing days minus a breif stint as the db coach at Lehigh. Also, he was a very successful DC for Zwann. Wood did a very good job of maintaining success with a substantal drop of in talent, at the beginning of his career after tacking over for Zwann. Coach Zwann saw the writing on the wall with the change in University Presidents, and left at the perfect time. Some of the changes that occurred were much more of a direct connection to the on field product. These same changes, and disagreements over them, are what led to Wood moving on. Fett has never been more then a position coach at the College level. He does  not have a long standing relationship to the University or its alumni. So I do not believe that he is really in the running. They will be going after a younger up and coming coordinator/coach from a higher level looking to become a head coach.

One name rumored is WU'S alumni B.J. Hogan who is currently on a four year stint as the DB Coach at the University of Tennessee Chattanooga.

bman

WUDLINE

Thx...and great info!   sent you a pm