FB: New Jersey Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: FANOFD3 on July 23, 2020, 12:33:02 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on July 23, 2020, 12:08:21 PM
Quote from: Oline89 on July 23, 2020, 10:15:20 AM
If Spring football is available, I say make every effort to make it happen.

I would say that too, just not at the expense of the spring sports who have already lost a season to this.

I concur, I think this is going to be what DIII will have to do, be unified and move to the Spring. Have limited on-field practice time and limited contact to prevent injuries, because most injuries and hitting occurs in practice, I'd do what the Johnnies do up in Minnesota, haven't hurt them in terms of winning, maybe use this time as an experiment to see if hitting during practices is necessary (I believe it helps a tad bit). I do believe this will help smaller programs that have smaller athletic training teams. The only other issue I see is the Title IX aspect and Coaches that coach both fall and spring sports, maybe this is an opportunity for a yound staff/assistant to gain experience.

...................as well as the issue of those student athletes who play a sport in the fall AND the spring (see Pat's Podcast about the young man choosing baseball OVER football.........THAT is heresy in states like PA, Texas, Ohio and Florida!! ;) )

RowanPhan

It's official ...

Statement by the New Jersey Athletic Conference Regarding Fall Sports

PITMAN–The New Jersey Athletic Conference (NJAC) Presidents Council, in consultation with the NJAC Board of Athletic Administrators, made the difficult decision to suspend all fall sport contests and league championships during the upcoming 2020 fall semester. The NJAC sponsors the fall sports of football, women's soccer, men's soccer, field hockey, women's volleyball, women's tennis, women's cross country, and men's cross country.

The NJAC will pursue every avenue within the NCAA governance structure to explore the provision of a competitive season for the fall sport student-athletes during the spring 2021 semester and allow them to engage in practice and training opportunities during the fall 2020 semester.

https://njacsports.com/news/2020/7/27/football-statement-by-the-new-jersey-athletic-conference-regarding-fall-sports.aspx
Go Rowan!

Teamski

There was no way around it.  Thanks for the heads up.  I certainly hope Wesley gets a shot in the spring.  It might be the last.......:(

-Ski
Wesley College Football.... A Winning Tradition! A Coach Mike Drass Legacy.

MRMIKESMITH

Quote from: RowanPhan on July 28, 2020, 12:39:20 PM
It's official ...

PITMAN–The New Jersey Athletic Conference (NJAC) Presidents Council, in consultation with the NJAC Board of Athletic Administrators, made the difficult decision to suspend all fall sport contests and league championships during the upcoming 2020 fall semester. The NJAC sponsors the fall sports of football, women's soccer, men's soccer, field hockey, women's volleyball, women's tennis, women's cross country, and men's cross country.

The NJAC will pursue every avenue within the NCAA governance structure to explore the provision of a competitive season for the fall sport student-athletes during the spring 2021 semester and allow them to engage in practice and training opportunities during the fall 2020 semester.

https://njacsports.com/news/2020/7/27/football-statement-by-the-new-jersey-athletic-conference-regarding-fall-sports.aspx

...and down goes Frazier...again DIII as a whole needs to be unified to have any chance at having football in Spring.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: FANOFD3 on July 28, 2020, 05:34:44 PM
Quote from: RowanPhan on July 28, 2020, 12:39:20 PM
It's official ...

...and down goes Frazier...again DIII as a whole needs to be unified to have any chance at having football in Spring.

Come Spring................spring sports come first and any sport moving from fall or winter come a distant second since they got full seasons in when they last played and the spring sports got the shaft.

RowanPhan

People have mentioned fall-sports in the spring is an issue for multi-sport athletes/coaches. Although I understand the conundrum, I'm wondering if this is really a big population? 

In my time following Rowan, I can only recall a very small number of guys (1 or 2) who played football and ran track in the spring. Non played baseball. I don't think any of their coaches covered multiple sports.
Go Rowan!

CNU85

Quote from: RowanPhan on July 29, 2020, 11:13:11 AM
People have mentioned fall-sports in the spring is an issue for multi-sport athletes/coaches. Although I understand the conundrum, I'm wondering if this is really a big population? 

In my time following Rowan, I can only recall a very small number of guys (1 or 2) who played football and ran track in the spring. Non played baseball. I don't think any of their coaches covered multiple sports.

I would think it is more an issue of facilities (locker rooms, training rooms, workout rooms) and staff (facilities staff, trainers, AD staff).

Pat Coleman

Quote from: CNU85 on July 29, 2020, 11:51:24 AM
Quote from: RowanPhan on July 29, 2020, 11:13:11 AM

I would think it is more an issue of facilities (locker rooms, training rooms, workout rooms) and staff (facilities staff, trainers, AD staff).

In our most recent podcast, TCNJ coach Casey Goff talks about the resources crush on campus, and Centre wide receiver/outfielder Jordan Gunter talks about what he will do if forced to choose between his two sports.

https://www.d3blogs.com/d3football/2020/07/22/atn-podcast-276-running-toward-the-spring/
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

CNU85

Thanks Pat. I haven't slowed down enough to find an hour to listen. But I will for sure.

thewaterboy

Some coaching news: Wesley elevates Arthur Smith to DC. I really like that move. Art has a great resume and is committed to the program. Mike Sabino has also been elevated to a full time position as the linebackers coach.

https://delawarestatenews.net/sport/local-college-notebook-wolverines-still-looking-ahead-even-without-season/

The article also mentions that Coach Knapp is in the process of finalizing the hiring of a new OC to replace Azzanesi. I can only speculate, but rumor has it the candidate pool had a lot of coaches with great backgrounds.

JT2

I'm really gonna miss DIII football in Fall 2020. Lot of things were in flux the past few years for my family (making games were impossible). Now, my son who will be 5 in November, is ready for a little tailgate, some live football. I'm hoping we get 2021... my Father, his Grandpa, will be 78. I'd like my son to experience the Wilson tailgate, which starts and ends my with Dad. My Dad has all the stories and I want my son to hear them all, as many times as I have.  ;)
Tip - Stay young by having your first kid when you're almost 50.

If there are no dogs in Heaven when I die, I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers.

thewaterboy

Quote from: @d3jason on August 17, 2020, 01:37:07 PM
Wesley has hired and OC:

https://delawarestatenews.net/sport/local-college-notebook-wolverines-starting-workouts/
Good catch! And a great hire! Jim Purtill was 130-30 as the Head Coach of St. Norbert in the Midwest Conference from 1999-2013. After that it looks like he spent 2 years as the QB coach of the UW-Oshkosh team that went to the Stagg Bowl. Pretty cool!

Teamski

Wesley College Football.... A Winning Tradition! A Coach Mike Drass Legacy.

thewaterboy

Really surreal time to live in... its August 20, school is starting back up. Air is getting a bit cooler, but there is no D3football Kickoff to buy. No Top 25 poll. No season previews. The boards are relatively quiet, without any talk about who is starting for who and who has a better team, schedule, etc. It feels more like March than it does August.  :'(