FB: New Jersey Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Oline89 on October 05, 2020, 01:39:57 PM
Quote from: RowanPhan on October 04, 2020, 12:15:12 PM
Quote from: Oline89 on October 03, 2020, 08:28:23 AM
Really makes you wonder how many players really have the finances in place to spend another semester in college
I feel sorry for these guys, but I hope they make the best financial decision for their situations. In my opinion, taking on huge financial debt is not a good idea.

I had to deal with a similar situation at the end of my 4th year at Rowan. I ran cross country at Rowan many years back.  I graduated after 4 years, but I still had athletic eligibility to run an extra year.  Although I wanted to join the team for another season, the cost of an added semester (for potentially a double major) was too high. I determined the cost was too much and joined the working working.  At the D3 level, you are essentially paying to participate in the sport you love - the "perks" are not enough to justify another year in the system.

From what I recall, we didn't get many perks as athletes (especially as cross country runners). We had early pickings of classes so we could schedule around practice, but frankly that was about it. We got a few bucks as meal money after weekend races. The irony, is that the time you invest in the sport takes away from studying which is correlated to your GPA and that's a key metric for hiring managers.

I have moved 180 on this as well.  At first I liked the idea of the NCAA allowing kids to play 5 games and still maintain eligibility.  Now, I wonder if this is harming players.  Most seniors need to apply for jobs, law school, med school, etc. now.  How many employers are going to agree to a 6 month deferment, to allow a kid to play one more season pf their sport?  I honestly don't know the answer.  Really doubt any of the med/law schools even have a 6 month deferment as an option.

Agree 100%. Division III is about student...............athletes, in that order. I've read about 5 games to preserve redshirts to "chase a championship". Say what???? Get the degree and chase grad school and an awesome job. Don't stoop to the level of many of the Division I athlete............students (in that order)!!

Teamski

Really makes you wonder how many players really have the finances in place to spend another semester in college

Regardless, as an athlete, would you rather play 5 games or no games? 

-Ski
Wesley College Football.... A Winning Tradition! A Coach Mike Drass Legacy.

RowanPhan

Quote from: Teamski on October 18, 2020, 09:46:34 AM

-Ski
With no other things to consider ($, health, etc.) then Yes I would assume they would rather play games versus no games.

On another note, Rowan typically has a lot of turnover from year to year, even in normal times... they may have a completely different roster in 2021. I do see some of the key guys (Divine, Husni, Maldonado) training on their social media accounts, so hopefully the Profs will have a core group coming back.. whenever that is
Go Rowan!

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: RowanPhan on October 18, 2020, 11:31:15 AM

-Ski
With no other things to consider ($, health, etc.) then Yes I would assume they would rather play games versus no games.

On another note, Rowan typically has a lot of turnover from year to year, even in normal times... they may have a completely different roster in 2021. I do see some of the key guys (Divine, Husni, Maldonado) training on their social media accounts, so hopefully the Profs will have a core group coming back.. whenever that is

Rowan, what causes all of the year to year turnover at a place like Rowan? They have such a "tuition advantage" over some other schools in the NJAC and all of the schools in the nearby MAC that I'd think tuyrnover (due to affordability as an example) would be a lot less.

RowanPhan

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on October 20, 2020, 12:52:19 PM

-Ski

Rowan, what causes all of the year to year turnover at a place like Rowan? They have such a "tuition advantage" over some other schools in the NJAC and all of the schools in the nearby MAC that I'd think tuyrnover (due to affordability as an example) would be a lot less.
That's a great question.  For the answer, I'm not sure. I believe the cost of Rowan tuition has increased significantly over the past decade. When I attended Rowan from '04 to '08, I was able to afford tuition on my own with a simple summer job. Now adays I don't think that's the case.

In regards to player attrition the coaches don't discuss player matters as a policy so I don't know the real answer but I think it all depends on each players situation.  However, overall I believe guys lose the passion to play, or they get buried on the depth chart and quit. Other guys may decide to focus on academics.

From what I've seen, they typically start with around 50 freshman.  Roughly 30 proceed to Soph year. Then they'll have around 20 or so Juniors.  Then we've seen about 12 seniors the past few seasons.  All in it's about 100 players or so. 

I could be wrong, but I think the NJAC has roster size limitations. So you won't see Rowan with 200 players like Mount Union or the Texas powerhouses. So maybe there are some cuts too.
Go Rowan!

CNU85

Quote from: RowanPhan on October 21, 2020, 04:45:07 PM
Quote from: jmcozenlaw on October 20, 2020, 12:52:19 PM

-Ski

That's a great question.  For the answer, I'm not sure. I believe the cost of Rowan tuition has increased significantly over the past decade. When I attended Rowan from '04 to '08, I was able to afford tuition on my own with a simple summer job. Now adays I don't think that's the case.

In regards to player attrition the coaches don't discuss player matters as a policy so I don't know the real answer but I think it all depends on each players situation.  However, overall I believe guys lose the passion to play, or they get buried on the depth chart and quit. Other guys may decide to focus on academics.

From what I've seen, they typically start with around 50 freshman.  Roughly 30 proceed to Soph year. Then they'll have around 20 or so Juniors.  Then we've seen about 12 seniors the past few seasons.  All in it's about 100 players or so. 

I could be wrong, but I think the NJAC has roster size limitations. So you won't see Rowan with 200 players like Mount Union or the Texas powerhouses. So maybe there are some cuts too.

I think Roster size is 125 in normal years. I've heard they are allowing 135 this year??????? I may very well be incorrect.

Thanks for sharing thoughts on the retention issue. Interesting.

thewaterboy

45 degrees. Overcast. A little breezy. Leaves on the ground. There should be football today....

RowanPhan

Quote from: thewaterboy on October 24, 2020, 11:11:41 AM
45 degrees. Overcast. A little breezy. Leaves on the ground. There should be football today....
As a fan, I miss seeing the Profs Brown & Gold
Go Rowan!

RowanPhan

Any new NJAC news or updates?

Rowan just wrapped up practices.  There is still a possible season in the Spring, but not 100%

Go Rowan!

thewaterboy

Quote from: RowanPhan on November 20, 2020, 05:29:07 PM
Any new NJAC news or updates?

Sounds like Rowan just wrapped up practices for this season.  This possible season in Spring, but not 100%
Hearing similar things on the Wesley front. Their practices are done until January. Not sure if that's an NJAC thing or a school decision. Spring season not quite a done deal yet.

Teamski

I  really think the upcoming immunizations will help make the decision of having a spring schedule more likely.

-Ski

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Teamski on November 21, 2020, 01:06:06 PM
I  really think the upcoming immunizations will help make the decision of having a spring schedule more likely.

-Ski

I HOPE you are right, but I have my doubts.  Vaccines will not be available to everyone immediately.  IMO, they will first go to first-responders (esp. medical, as they should), then to us old farts who are at most risk of death from COVID, and only then to the general public, including college-age athletes (and probably most of their parents).  Barring a miracle, I can't see that happening until mid to late summer - too late for this season.

MAYBE 2021-22 can be 'normal', ;)

RowanPhan

Hope everyone is doing well and keeping safe.

Went through a few other regions on this board and was happy to see some folks posting about recruiting.

In regards to the NJAC, it's been fairly quiet, but I will say that Montclair State has been doing a great job on Twitter. Great videos and posts over the last few months.

I have noticed Widener posting "commitment/offer" tweets for players.

Maybe it's a budgetary thing or preference by coaches, but I just think it would be a good idea for the teams to stay very active on social media to support recruiting efforts.
Go Rowan!

thewaterboy

Happy New Year Everyone! Hopefully this year is a bit kinder in terms of world events and, of course, football.

I haven't seen anything with regards to a spring schedule for the NJAC for football... despite the rumors of their being some sort of spring season.

The Wesley-Del State news has been relatively quiet as well. It has also been relatively quiet in terms of addressing the future of Wesley's football program as well (despite being a better program than the one Del State currently has IMO). My hope is that the kids and the coaches know what is really going on, although with no news I am skeptical that they even know because nothing definitive has been said. If that is the case, in my opinion, that is extremely unfair treatment by the administrations at Wesley and Del State to the kids on Wesley's roster. If there IS going to be a future for Wesley football, the kids need to know that they can go be a part of that program for 4 years. If not, then the kids need to know that as well so they can make arrangements to play elsewhere in 2021 and beyond. I hope though, that Wesley football can live long into the future.

Teamski

Yeah, I was going to ask the question about whether or not a schedule is being worked on, but obviously, a statement to the effect hasn't been released yet.  I would have hoped a schedule would have been worked out yet, but with covid's comings and goings, I am sure that is a tough nut to crack.  Here's hoping......

-Ski

p.s.  I wish all of you a safe and happy new year.....