D 3 Kickoff Classic

Started by D3MAFAN, August 28, 2014, 12:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D3MAFAN

I was watching the Abilene Christian and Georgia State game last night and came up with an great idea. Maybe, there should be a Division III Kickoff Classic, featuring maybe two teams from the Elite 8 of the previous year's playoff and have the game played in Salem this upcoming weekend with the rest of college football. Maybe we can get some of our famous alums of Division III to help get a sports network to televise it. I think you can have Pat and Keith call the game and then go over some storylines from this year's Kickoff magazine and go over their predictions for the upcoming season. You can also, request highlights from this year's preseason All-Americans to display during pregame or halftime and much more....

jknezek

it's not a bad idea from our limited perspective. but you realize the Stagg Bowl has been relegated to ESPNU on Friday night, right? There just isn't the TV audience that your idea implies. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I'm just thinking you'd be hard pressed to pull together the money to pull it off, especially if you have to pay the participating schools' expenses. Add to that the scheduling difficulties, since it would leave another pair of teams out a game unless they could get to each other or find a makeup on short notice, and it just is a very difficult idea to work with.

Hawks88

Maybe if you played on Tuesday or Wednesday like last night's so there no other games up against it then you could possibly get an audience.

About last night's game, why does Georgia State play in the dome? It looked like there were 200 people there. Two blocks away is a perfectly good stadium that would be perfect. The old hardly used Morris Brown College stadium.

02 Warhawk

I like the idea...but I don't think it'll ever be televised like the Stagg Bowl does.

At best it could maybe be streamed, with Pat and Keith as the announcers.  :)

D3MAFAN

Quote from: Hawks88 on August 28, 2014, 02:15:00 PM
Maybe if you played on Tuesday or Wednesday like last night's so there no other games up against it then you could possibly get an audience.

About last night's game, why does Georgia State play in the dome? It looked like there were 200 people there. Two blocks away is a perfectly good stadium that would be perfect. The old hardly used Morris Brown College stadium.

I am not sure, but it may have something to do with the Conference Stadium requirement.

AO

Quote from: D3MAFAN-MG on August 28, 2014, 03:06:13 PM

I am not sure, but it may have something to do with the Conference Stadium requirement.
They claimed 10,100 as the attendance.  There is no stadium size requirement but "Football Bowl Subdivision teams have to meet minimum attendance requirements (average 15,000 people in actual or paid attendance per home game)"

I think the D3 kickoff classic is a great idea but not at a neutral site.  I'd put the defending champ up against a top ten team that can bus in.  CBS sports might televise a Wednesday game.

jknezek

I'm always amazed when teams play in stadiums completely outsized to their needs. It makes for a horrible atmosphere. W&L used to have this massive stadium left over from the 1950s. It was always empty and it diminished the games. They've since fixed that by downsizing the stands to something more appropriate. Stamford University, FCS, here in Birmingham has a beautiful little stadium that is a blast to see a game in. UAB (FBS) plays in decrepit and enormous Legion Field, making it a miserable experience. Having the right size stadium can be make or break for having a good fan experience. Looks like a lesson Georgia State needs to learn. Of course, losing 16 straight can have an affect as well.

02 Warhawk

Quote from: jknezek on August 28, 2014, 03:30:05 PM
I'm always amazed when teams play in stadiums completely outsized to their needs. It makes for a horrible atmosphere. W&L used to have this massive stadium left over from the 1950s. It was always empty and it diminished the games. They've since fixed that by downsizing the stands to something more appropriate. Stamford University, FCS, here in Birmingham has a beautiful little stadium that is a blast to see a game in. UAB (FBS) plays in decrepit and enormous Legion Field, making it a miserable experience. Having the right size stadium can be make or break for having a good fan experience. Looks like a lesson Georgia State needs to learn. Of course, losing 16 straight can have an affect as well.

Sounds similar to what the folks have going for them in Collegeville for SJU.

ncc_fan

Quote from: jknezek on August 28, 2014, 03:30:05 PM
I'm always amazed when teams play in stadiums completely outsized to their needs. It makes for a horrible atmosphere. W&L used to have this massive stadium left over from the 1950s. It was always empty and it diminished the games. They've since fixed that by downsizing the stands to something more appropriate. Samford University, FCS, here in Birmingham has a beautiful little stadium that is a blast to see a game in. UAB (FBS) plays in decrepit and enormous Legion Field, making it a miserable experience. Having the right size stadium can be make or break for having a good fan experience. Looks like a lesson Georgia State needs to learn. Of course, losing 16 straight can have an affect as well.

Siebert Stadium at Samford University:
http://samfordsports.com/sports/2012/6/28/GEN_0628121441.aspx?id=20

Clemens Stadium at SJU:
http://www.gojohnnies.com/sports/2009/5/19/FOOTBALL_0519091156.aspx?

D3MAFAN

Quote from: AO on August 28, 2014, 03:14:24 PM
Quote from: D3MAFAN-MG on August 28, 2014, 03:06:13 PM

They claimed 10,100 as the attendance.  There is no stadium size requirement but "Football Bowl Subdivision teams have to meet minimum attendance requirements (average 15,000 people in actual or paid attendance per home game)"

I think the D3 kickoff classic is a great idea but not at a neutral site.  I'd put the defending champ up against a top ten team that can bus in.  CBS sports might televise a Wednesday game.

Yeah, you may be right, neutral site may cost to much for D III at the moment. I wouldn't limit it to the defending champ. If schedules can't be adjusted. Then maybe pick a big marquee matchup, such as Hampden Sydney vs. Wabash.

Mr. Ypsi

I love the idea, and no reason the NCAA would need to foot the bills.  But make it a double-header: 4 of the previous year's Elite 8.  Since they'd be playing an opening game anyway (perhaps on the road), at least 4 of the 8 should be willing to foot the tab.  (And don't have a pity party for those teams who get 'jilted'; if no other options arise, they can play each other. ;))

Brian R. Carroll

The D3 philosophy is to keep sports in proper perspective. Imitating D1 with a kickoff classic is not consistent with that philosophy, and simply not needed.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Brian R. Carroll on August 30, 2014, 01:45:51 PM
The D3 philosophy is to keep sports in proper perspective. Imitating D1 with a kickoff classic is not consistent with that philosophy, and simply not needed.

It's not imitating d1, it's imitating d3 basketball!  D3sports.com already hosts a tip-off classic, with as many teams from as late in the previous tourney as possible.  And they have no trouble getting teams, despite no financial assistance in travel.

I realize flying a bball team is massively cheaper than flying a fball team, but many, many schools fly to at least one OOC fball game a season (and UAA teams fly constantly).  It should be no problem finding 4 of the Elite Eight teams (or at least 4 of the final 16 teams) each year.

NewHawk

I think a bigger question is which of the top ranked teams would be willing to play each other in game one of the season. With no payday and the chance of taking a hit on your record that early I think the chance of seeing two top 8 teams facing off in game one is remote.  Not that it wouldn't be great to see, I just don't think the coaches or the AD's of the teams would see it that way. 

wesleydad

see wesley vs umhb the last 2 years.  i don't see why teams would not if they have the AQ to fall back on.