FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caz Bombers

yup, Union is out. Maybe a move to the spring. I have to think that's where we're going in total...there isn't going to be any LL football or LL anything else this fall. Time to accept that.

https://unionathletics.com/news/2020/7/13/general-sports-update-on-fall-2020-athletic-seasons.aspx

jknezek

Quote from: Oline89 on July 13, 2020, 11:37:59 AM
Quote from: Frank Rossi on July 13, 2020, 11:20:25 AM
Quote from: jknezek on July 13, 2020, 11:01:15 AM
Quote from: Frank Rossi on July 13, 2020, 10:57:15 AM
Union will be announcing in a little while that they will not be playing fall sports and will update on winter and spring sports on 9/15. This is one of the first schools that will have all students back and that independently canceled their season without conference unity.

Several schools have done this including W&L. But yeah, not too many... yet.

Not independently from the conference. W&L yes. The NESCAC/Centennial/UAA schools in the PAC are a different story. The general trend for schools like RPI and Bowdoin initially was that they weren't bringing all classes back, so they couldn't play.

So the students will be on campus, just no sports?  Seems like a bias against the athletes to me.  Theater, dance, debate all canceled?

I believe the thinking is "in the bubble" vs out of the bubble. Intercollegiate athletics by definition pops whatever bubble they are trying to make. A school newspaper might if the interviews aren't done by phone, but otherwise could be ok. Same with dance provided any audience is in the bubble and sits socially distant. But athletes have to travel and have to have others travel in. That's just a different animal. It is possible intramural sports might go on but intercollegiate can't for the same reason.

There is a logic here, even if people fight against it.

jmcozenlaw

Union will be announcing in a little while that they will not be playing fall sports and will update on winter and spring sports on 9/15. This is one of the first schools that will have all students back and that independently canceled their season without conference unity.

Not independently from the conference. W&L yes. The NESCAC/Centennial/UAA schools in the PAC are a different story. The general trend for schools like RPI and Bowdoin initially was that they weren't bringing all classes back, so they couldn't play.

So the students will be on campus, just no sports?  Seems like a bias against the athletes to me.  Theater, dance, debate all canceled?

No sports......................but let's make sure that we maximize revenue by filling the dorms and cafeteria and charging for various silly fees (gotta love the $495.00 'technology fee'.........as one administrator called 'the greatest rip off all of the expense line items').

You are invited to come down to bucolic Doylestown and watch some MAC action.................as they and the NJAC might be the only conferences around here who MIGHT actually play some football. I'm not sure that they will either!! Hey, without the (fun) distractions, my work has never been busier. Up and down markets have people clamoring for financial advice. The pandemic has people rushing to insure a bunch of things. And the passive income side gig is about to explode (having nothing to do with soap, suds, vitamins, weight loss smoothies or any of that crap). I'm starting to quietly hope for about another year or so, so that I can put my head down and grind out 12 years worth of business in 12 months. Sleep is overrated and I'll have plenty of time for it when dead........in heaven of course (and yes, it does exist ;) ).

wally_wabash

You can click through Union's back to campus plan on your own, but no, those things are not going to happen as they did before. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Jonny Utah

I think these LL "president" meetings had some sort of agreement that schools basically need to make decisions on what is best for each school.  The NCAA is going to have to make a decision at some point, but I don't see them changing the playoffs to the spring no matter what.  It will be fall or cancel.  In the end each school is unique and they need to make decisions based on that.

Also noticed Hobart has some coaching openings, including possibly the DC? 

Oline89

Quote from: Jonny Utah on July 13, 2020, 12:38:06 PM
I think these LL "president" meetings had some sort of agreement that schools basically need to make decisions on what is best for each school.  The NCAA is going to have to make a decision at some point, but I don't see them changing the playoffs to the spring no matter what.  It will be fall or cancel.  In the end each school is unique and they need to make decisions based on that.

From what I understand, the LL presidents had near unanimity to play football this season, I guess we know who the dissenting vote was.  For now there are still 5 teams from LL and all 7 from E8 committed to play.  Seems like we could still puzzle together a season.  Across the country there will be at least 160-170 teams playing and upstate NY is as safe a place as there is in the country right now, average virus count is 2.4/100,000 or less. 

Regarding the HC coaching staff, there were some budget cuts after the Spring.  DC from 2019 has left, but there are strong candidates among the staff.  I just don't think DeWall has officially named his DC yet. 

gordonmann

Here's a quote from the MIAC Commissioner in an article that ran in Inside Higher Education today:

Dan McKane, commissioner of the Minnesota conference, said via email, "The MIAC Councils have planned meetings over the next week to review fall athletics. We have built a full plan that allows for competition and addresses if institutions opt to not play this fall. I feel our window to play fall sports is narrowing with the recent NCAA recommendation for weekly testing of high risk sports. Testing is not readily available, test results are slow, and currently tests are costly."

Full article

If the NCAA recommends weekly testing, I think some schools that are holding on -- those who need the enrollment jolt that sports provided for financial reasons -- are going to go the other way. I don't have any insight into the budget at schools like Hartwick or Wilkes, but that's a big chunk of change to find when enrollment revenues are already in question.

Bartman

Quote from: Oline89 on July 13, 2020, 01:03:04 PM
Quote from: Jonny Utah on July 13, 2020, 12:38:06 PM

From what I understand, the LL presidents had near unanimity to play football this season, I guess we know who the dissenting vote was.  For now there are still 5 teams from LL and all 7 from E8 committed to play.  Seems like we could still puzzle together a season.  Across the country there will be at least 160-170 teams playing and upstate NY is as safe a place as there is in the country right now, average virus count is 2.4/100,000 or less. 

Regarding the HC coaching staff, there were some budget cuts after the Spring.  DC from 2019 has left, but there are strong candidates among the staff.  I just don't think DeWall has officially named his DC yet.
Coaching positions are a good sign that Hobart is trying to make it work. Hobart has built into the budget all the testing required by the NCAA , I think 72 hours before each game, well, without Union and RPI, travel times will be reasonable. Hopefully things will allow for a season and it will be conducted safely .
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

UfanBill

Quote today from Union quarterback Will Bellamy... "Don't worry, we ain't going anywhere".I'm hoping that indicates a willingness and determination to see this through until the Dutchmen are back on the field.

All league linebacker Colin Lama adds..."Freeze me and unfreeze me in 2021." Senior leadership from both sides of the ball.
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

thewaterboy

Quote from: UfanBill on July 14, 2020, 09:53:33 PM
Quote today from Union quarterback Will Bellamy... "Don't worry, we ain't going anywhere".I'm hoping that indicates a willingness and determination to see this through until the Dutchmen are back on the field.

All league linebacker Colin Lama adds..."Freeze me and unfreeze me in 2021." Senior leadership from both sides of the ball.
That is good to see... this is what I worry about when school's are deciding to close up shop for the pandemic. It is nice to see commitment to a program.

jmcozenlaw

Nice!! He might also take an extra English class while he's at it as well. On another note...............I ain't running today because my left big toe is aching me after yesterday's 8 mile run. :(

Oline89

I think this is a great sign as well, I still hate that the kids are put in this situation in the first place.  Of course, unless the seniors are taking a semester off, they now need to pay for another semester of college, delay graduation, delay entering the job market....

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Oline89 on July 15, 2020, 08:55:47 AM

I think this is a great sign as well, I still hate that the kids are put in this situation in the first place.  Of course, unless the seniors are taking a semester off, they now need to pay for another semester of college, delay graduation, delay entering the job market....

..................although THIS job market is far from robust and if it lasts as long as I think it will, it might stay that way for a while, sadly. :(

Caz Bombers

Empire 8 is entirely out for the fall. Time for the LL to pack it in already.

Machiavelli

Empire 8 and Union must've just followed RPI'S lead. Tee hee.

But in all seriousness, this sucks for everyone. The coaches, the players, the fans. However, this is the only decision in my mind. Losing 1 student-athlete to this is too many if it can be avoided. There's still a lot to learn and there is still a lot of uncertainty, but it's the only decision right now. You can go down a worm hole of thinking out all of the 'what-ifs' teased out on both sides of the argument, but it just takes 1 bad outcome that will make everyone think 'Maybe playing this year was a bad idea' and could cripple the sport and NCAA for a long time. D1 might have the resources to pull something off, but I doubt we'll see any college football this year.

It's going to all make next season, and mostly everything in life that we normally take for granted, that much better when we are on the other side of it all.