MBB: Upper Midwest Athletic Conference

Started by bethelguy, October 04, 2004, 02:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smitty Oom

Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 02, 2019, 01:47:05 PM
Quote from: Baldini on December 02, 2019, 01:14:20 PM
The Concordia-Moorhead @ Martin Luther game that was scheduled for tonight has been re-scheduled for January 13th. Guessing there is a lot of snow in Minnesota?

We have had some snow of late, but also the roads were pretty slick in the metro this morning as well, so I'm guessing that the trip from Moorhead to New Ulm would be even worse.

This game was postponed a couple days ago, due to the forecast of hevy snow and it has resulted in bad roads, as Pat mentioned. Cobbers game against GAC before thanksgiving was also re-scheduled, I believe. Hopefully they can make the trip south on better travel days later in the season.

Baldini

Hard fought 81-75 lose for Minnesota-Morris tonight against a pretty good 7-2 NAIA school in Mayville State. Had a 7 point lead at the half and chance until the final seconds to pull it out, but a lose none the less in the end. Coach Grove has some good young Freshmen on this team, one of those Fr. Jaret Johnson paced the Cougars tonight with 23 points and 6 rebounds. 

Baldini

The first set of conference games are in the books and no surprises tonight. Bethany Lutheran cruised in a 85-68 win over Martin Luther. St. Scholastica had a easy time with North Central 87-63, UW-Superior won handily over Northland 78-54. The one game I thought might be interesting tonight in the UMAC was the Crown-Northwestern game, but Northwestern jumped to a 13 point halftime lead and held the advantage throughout to win 94-83.

Action will pick back up on Saturday with 5 more games. Everyone is off for the next 2 days.

Greek Tragedy

Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Baldini

Current Massey ratings for the UMAC.

Bethany Lutheran  160
Northwestern  201
UW-Superior  271
St. Scholastica  293
Minnesota-Morris  353
Northland  369
Crown  371
Martin Luther  393
North Central  406

Baldini

Northwestern and Bethany Lutheran do battle in Mankato tonight in what should be a very good game. Look forward to watching this one.

UW-Superior hosts St. Scholastica in another game that should be a tightly fought game.

The other games tonight.

Minnesota-Morris @ Crown
Martin Luther @ North Central
UW-Stout @ Northland

Baldini

No disappointment tonight in Mankato as Bethany Lutheran nips Northwestern 100-98 in OT. Both teams played well down the stretch, tough game for anyone to lose. Bethany Lutheran holds serve at home, but Northwestern will get their chance at home on 2/12 and something tells me there will be a 3rd game in the playoffs also.   

Baldini

Thought I had a good feel for the UMAC and it was going to be a two team race again this season, but UW-Superior said 'not so fast' today as they took Bethany Lutheran behind the woodshed for a 84-60 beatdown.

In other scores today,

Northwestern 77  St. Scholastica 54
Minnesota-Morris 89  North Central 78
Crown 84  Northland 42
Martin Luther 80  Maranatha Baptist 72

Baldini

Conference play will pick back up on January 8th with 9 more non-conference games scheduled before the 8th. Here is a look at the current standings a breakdown of non-conference action.

UW-Superior         4-0  /  6-4
Northwestern        3-1  /  7-6
Bethany Lutheran  2-1  /  5-5
Crown                  2-2  /  3-7
St. Scholastica      2-2  /  3-7
Minnesota-Morris  1-2  /  3-7
Northland             1-2  /  3-8
North Central       1-3  /  3-8
Martin Luther       0-3  /  2-8     

Vs. Conferences

ACAA  1-0
ARC  3-7
CCIW  0-1
Independent  2-0
MIAC  5-15
MWC 0-3
NACC 2-5
SLIAC 0-1
WIAC 1-7

NAIA-2  1-3
NCCAA-2  4-0
Division Two  0-2

Overall - 19-44

Smitty Oom

CSS hung with Ramapo all game (well at least the second half, thats when I started watching). Real tough ending for the Knights, that one will sting, but they should be better off for it come UMAC play. I enjoyed watching a usually tough NJAC team get taken to the wire by a UMAC team in Vegas. BTW, good job on the call, Dave!

Pat Coleman

I learned quite a bit from that game, and it was similar to what I've seen in D3 vs. D1 games. When you step up to that level in competition, there are going to be some players whose skills translate to the higher level and will allow them to compete, and some who can't make that step up. So it is not an overall lowering of a team's ability to compete when they play much better teams, but it's inconsistent from player to player.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Smitty Oom on December 30, 2019, 12:41:00 AM
CSS hung with Ramapo all game (well at least the second half, thats when I started watching). Real tough ending for the Knights, that one will sting, but they should be better off for it come UMAC play. I enjoyed watching a usually tough NJAC team get taken to the wire by a UMAC team in Vegas. BTW, good job on the call, Dave!

Sorry for my delay ... but thank you. I enjoyed watching CSS play.

To Pat's point, I think ... this is why I wish more coaches and programs would challenge themselves. (A) You don't know what you might have with a program if you don't take on more challenging (on paper) foes and (b) you don't give your players the chance to challenge themselves or step up to the occasion unless you give them something they may not think at first they can achieve.

Too many coaches and programs I know across the country rather give themselves either easy competition ahead of conference play or a way to ease into the season thinking it will make their programs better. The best in the country will be willing to lose a game or few by challenging their teams in November and December outside of the conference because they know it will raise the bar and open the eyes of their players and because it can best prepare them for March - whether it's getting into the tournament or rising to the occasion.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Baldini

Watched the 2nd half of the re-scheduled Concordia-Moorhead @ Martin Luther game and it was a very entertaining game to watch. Maybe it was because both teams seen this game as one of the few winnable games on their schedules (especially for Concordia-Moorhead) and both teams played with a high level of energy the entire half I watched. MLC came away with a 73-72 home victory in the first ever meeting between the two schools.

Interesting to see if this win jumpstarts MLC a little as they have 3 potentially winnable games coming against Crown, Northland and Minnesota-Morris.

The Cobbers potential winning spots are a little harder to ferret on out. They do still have Hamline twice and another with Macalester, but it is turning into a long season for CMU.   

Baldini

It has turned into a great race for the title in the UMAC. With some large games yet to be play in the next couple of weeks.

Bethany Lutheran - 11-1  (@Northwestern, @Northland, Crown, UW-Superior)
Northwestern  - 11-1  (Martin Luther, Bethany Lutheran, @UW-Superior, @St. Scholastica)
UW-Superior  - 10-1  (North Central, @St. Scholastica, @Martin Luther, Northwestern, @Bethany Lutheran)

Feb. 12th - Bethany Lutheran @ Northwestern
Feb. 19th - Northwestern @ UW-Superior
Feb. 22nd - UW-Superior @ Bethany Lutheran

St. Scholastica - 8-4
Crown - 5-6
Minnesota-Morris - 2-9
North Central - 2-9
Northland - 2-10
Martin Luther - 1-11 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.