NESCAC

Started by LaPaz, September 11, 2011, 05:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blooter442

Quote from: letsGOswans! on November 05, 2017, 09:13:32 PM
Ahh, can't be too optimistic about my Camels getting their first bid in history :(. Seems like bowdoin, midd, Amherst, and others from other conferences are ahead of them for that pool c. Would be a tall task even getting a fourth bid , let alone a fifth.

There are always one or two surprises, and the surprise factor worked in the Camels' favor! Congrats to Conn.

lastguyoffthebench

Rowan getting another crack at Tufts...

letsGOswans!

Wow! What a great surprise. Don't underestimate my Camels boys :) no Nescac team will want to play us !!!

Nes ac is definitely worthy of 4 bids though, especially considering last 3 champs were from our conference. Congrats to all!

blooter442

First time in a while that NESCAC gets 4 Pool Cs, although I think it's deserved given the parity this year.

A potential Brandeis vs. Bowdoin rematch in the NCAA 2nd Round from the 2014 Round of 32 matchup is exciting. Bowdoin gave Brandeis a very good test that year, parking the bus for most of the game, although they did have an early goal ruled out for offside. Over the course of the game, Brandeis and its superior speed and skill wore Bowdoin down, capped off when Miskin planted a wonderful header past van Siclen with 15 minutes left for the 1-0 win. Bowdoin will be hungry for revenge, but this is all assuming that Bowdoin gets by RUN, which, in and of itself, should be a great match, and Brandeis gets by WConn, who will no doubt battle hard.

I like Conn. vs. Rochester. I think that will be a really good game; two teams with some skill but can get scrappy as well. I like Conn. in this one, but Rochester will give them a game, and I remarked that Rochester and Brandeis are the closest UAA teams that play the way the NESCACs do in terms of physicality and athleticism. Regardless, UR are always a tough out, but you can bet that Conn. will be fired up for this one.

St. Josephs vs. Mitchell @ Tufts, with the winner facing the Jumbos in the 2nd Round. Bobcat, are you sure you weren't part of the Selection Committee this year? Jokes aside, and assuming St. Joseph's can get past Mitchell, I am looking forward to that one, and while I think Tufts would be highly favored I don't think they take SJC lightly.

All NESCAC

Quote from: letsGOswans! on November 06, 2017, 01:47:28 PM
Wow! What a great surprise. Don't underestimate my Camels boys :) no Nescac team will want to play us !!!

Nes ac is definitely worthy of 4 bids though, especially considering last 3 champs were from our conference. Congrats to all!

Wow 5 from Nescac in the tournament.  Congratulations Conn Camels!!!!  Go NESCAC!!!

Bobcat1

Love the fact NESCAC got 5 bids, especially after getting just 2 last year. Well earned by the conference. I think its record in key non-conference matchups this year helped bump the number up.  No surprise St. Joe's is going to Tufts.  Potentially we have zero goals allowed vs 1 goal allowed.  I figured the NCAA would jump at that potential matchup, plus its less than 2 hours travel for St. Joe's.  The Brandies pod is brutal...Bowdoin/RUN in round 1, WOW! :o

Bucket

Quote from: Bobcat1 on November 06, 2017, 02:10:56 PM
Love the fact NESCAC got 5 bids, especially after getting just 2 last year. Well earned by the conference. I think its record in key non-conference matchups this year helped bump the number up.  No surprise St. Joe's is going to Tufts.  Potentially we have zero goals allowed vs 1 goal allowed.  I figured the NCAA would jump at that potential matchup, plus its less than 2 hours travel for St. Joe's.  The Brandies pod is brutal...Bowdoin/RUN in round 1, WOW! :o

And I love that Dave Saward's career will conclude in the NCAA tournament...

BendIt007

Wow... Camels made it in!  I'm amazed as I definitely thought their season was over. As a soccer alum great to see them make it.  Congrats to all 5 teams!!!   And let's see if all can win the first round games.

Mr.Right

Quote from: blooter442 on November 06, 2017, 11:09:31 AM
Quote from: Mr.Right on November 05, 2017, 09:54:42 PM
1. The heart and guts of this team is in midfield. They do all the little things that just do not show up in the boxscore.  I was most impressed with Kulcsar. He reminds me of some of the great midfielders that Williams used to have. The unsung heroes that do all the dirty work like Patrick Huffer, Tommy Day and Pete Christman. He can run all day and is the main reason you just cannot break Tufts down thru the middle of the field. Tufts does a great job of collapsing into a 4-5-1 immediately after they lose the ball and just suffocate the opponent. Halliday played well again today and almost had another incredible goal if not for a fantastic save by Midd's GK. That was highway robbery as it looked live like it was headed for the panel. Rojas got the game winner after a nice run and perfect service from the flank. So that was all very very impressive.

Yes Kulcsar is the unsung hero of that team, and, in my view, is this year's team MVP. Not the flashiest of players but you rarely see him put a foot wrong, and he is arguably the biggest reason that they have been so good defensively, although Coleman will probably get the plaudits for leading a backline that has conceded 1 goal (and I think he would deserve them). I also think it's accurate to say they collapse into a 4-5-1 when dispossessed, and I think this speaks to Shapiro's "team defense" concept. What is also evident with Tufts is that they understand how to balance pressing with not getting caught too high -- often times, when dispossessed, teams will press without the back line changing position. This can be dangerous as if the counter gets by the initial high press and then the midfield/defense they have a pretty open run at goal, but when you clog the middle like Tufts does with the outside backs pinching in it's much tougher to break down. Perhaps this explains why Tufts has been so resolute defensively without a cast of characters with names like Greenwood and Williams.

Quote from: Mr.Right on November 05, 2017, 09:54:42 PM
Yes Bloots that Bird woman was there...I must say I am just so impressed that a grown woman arrives to a game and makes about 200 very loud and annoying bird noises...I mean either she is pure looney tunes or she is on some incredibly HEAVY MEDS..Either way that takes GUTS to consistently do this all game in front of virtual strangers. Almost like taking a PK but not quite

I apologize for sounding like a grumpy old man at the age of 25, I promise I don't get annoyed that easily, but the woman's bird call is beyond obnoxious. If it wasn't so incessant, it might be tolerable, but it seems like it happens every throw-in/free-kick/stoppage. Not even joking, I muted the broadcast after the first 30 minutes or so because I couldn't stand it. Of course, I probably have done things that annoy fellow spectators as well, but certainly not like my college days (things used to get rowdy down in Coven's Corner, particularly during NCAA games ;)). Maybe I would be more sympathetic if I was a Tufts fan. Regardless, I would be very happy if it stopped.

Exactly....You have it spot on so the next question is how to attack that. My initial thought before Williams played them on their field was that a 120x80 field would force Tufts to spread out but Williams was to conservative and not fast enough. Meaning once Tufts gives the ball away YOU MUST GO and FAST. Get the ball and play it immediately to feet before Tufts has a chance to get set. Get it out wide and whip a ball in or whatever. Take chances and send your wingbacks immediately and keep your 2 CB's and Holding Mid back so at least you have 3 solid defenders back. Think Man City with Fernandinho and Stones and the other guy back and everyone else flying forward. IMO this is one reason why Tufts has been so successful in Nescac this year. Teams are to slow in transition, not willing to chance anything and just way to conservative. The only other way for teams to break it down is breaking them down from the flank but you need good 1v1 players and perfect service with more than 3 guys crashing the box. Hamilton just played right into Tufts hands by continually trying to force balls thru the middle of the field and kept giving it away. Actually, Midd the first 20 minutes came out and pressed Tufts like mad and it worked as it generated some looks but they died off after a while. Interesting look because Midd let Bowdoin possess all they wanted in their half until they crossed midfield.

truenorth

That strikes me as an accurate assessment Mr. Right.  Any of Bowdoin, Middlebury or Conn College will have to abandon conservatism and adopt an attacking approach if they're going to advance beyond the first round...

truenorth

Quote from: SoccerMom_5 on November 04, 2017, 04:31:58 PM
Quote from: Mr.Right on November 04, 2017, 02:39:22 PM
Quote from: SoccerMom_5 on November 04, 2017, 02:36:13 PM
Lol.  Are we watching the same game?  (Actually, I am pretty sure my feed is lagging behind.)

Ugh...Midd is letting Bowdoin possess in the back in their own end. they are not pressing them until they cross midfield. The second Bowdoin plays a ball to their striker it is given away...That is called Possession without progression....Also THERE IS NO FLOW..I swear Bowdoin could put an insomniac to sleep.

they were playing in the front, I suspected it would end badly for Bowdoin.  When the camera was on the box and I saw that Byrd was sitting in it, I knew it would.  Not because Byrd is a problem... but because his presence there was a sign of the 2017=2018 Bowdoin team's fatal flaw rearing its head.   I had hoped they would overcome it, but... not to be.   

I suppose that ends their bid for NCAAs also.  Too bad.  I was rooting for them... but... if you don't play like you want to win, then you deserve to lose.   

I suppose Wiercinski will have a lot fo rebuilding to do after this year.   

Think I am going to probably watch for Colby next season in the NESCAC. I liked them this year a lot, also. I thought Colby had some interesting kids, and they were very young this year, so I am hoping that is promising for the next couple of years being interesting play.

SoccerMom, I've enjoyed your following of Bowdoin this season and will miss your commentary if you shift your focus to Colby next year.  That said, I'm pleased Bowdoin was one of four NESCACs to receive a Pool C bid today.

My view is that any of Bowdoin, Middlebury and Conn College will need to commit to an attacking approach if they want to advance to the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament.  There is little to be gained via a conservative approach at this stage of the season...

Mr.Right

Quote from: truenorth on November 06, 2017, 07:28:44 PM
That strikes me as an accurate assessment Mr. Right.  Any of Bowdoin, Middlebury or Conn College will have to abandon conservatism and adopt an attacking approach if they're going to advance beyond the first round...

Yeah right these coaches just do not change. It is very frustrating to watch. Actually if you look at the Nescac matchups I think Midd has the best chance to get to the Sweet 16 of either of those 3 IF THEY PLAY like they did yesterday. The Midd v Stevens match will be played on turf. I have not seen Stevens this year so it is hard to say and they have a new coach so i do not know how they play but their results have been mediocre at best. I have seen Cortland and I felt that Hobart kept them in check physically just a bad GK'ing error cost them. Cortland will have their home field but Midd could spring an upset there IMO.

The Bowdoin v RUN matchup will be VERY interesting. I think Bowdoin players will get over confident about an hour or two before the match when they see the size advantage they have especially when they see RUN 5'6 GK. That will be their 1st mistake because RUN has plenty of skill and play fast two touch futbol and will be able to do that on Brandeis turf. The 2nd mistake will be Wiercinski starting Morant and Niang in midfield. He should push both up top in this game for their size and bring Masterson off the bench as Niang and especially Morant will be liabilities in midfield defensively in this matchup. RUN #7 on the flank will be causing havoc all game for McColl but better to have McColl on him than the other wingback who is a bit of a liability. When McColl overlaps than Ellsworth will have to drop and deal with him and he is not a good enough 1v1 defender so that will draw over Bubb or Ward and leave their best player #11 all 5'6 of him DeSouza against possibly 1 CB. Just 2 totally different approaches and each side will have an advantage over the other in different areas. I do believe that RUN will have to go out and win this game as PK's they will lose the GK matchup. I thought the RUN GK made some decent saves in the Rowan game and he is quick as a cat but I could never start a GK that is 5'6. I would go NUTS..

The Conn v UR matchup is interesting just because it is a Nescac v UAA matchup. I have not seen UR at all this year but Conn will be rusty after having 2 weeks off IMO. Conn is not a team that needed 2 weeks off. They needed to keep playing and UR should be able to take advantage of that but who knows. Turf field. I honestly have no idea. IMO Conn did not deserve to get in the way they finished their season 0-2-1 at Home in all 3 against Midd, Bowdoin and Wesleyan. They scored all of 1 goal in those 3 games. It was a weak year nationally if Conn got a bid but I believe their wins against Endicott and Salem State helped as the committee likes to see that you beat other NCAA teams. Obviously, their draws v Tufts and Bowdoin helped and the win against Midd to start the year BUT in a normal year that would not have been good enough. Either way I think whoever wins this match will be losing the next one against at Oneonta so it really does not matter. Oneonta looks like a well oiled machine on their home turf and do not quite look the same when forced on grass on the road.

blooter442

Quote from: Mr.Right on November 06, 2017, 08:11:04 PM
The Bowdoin v RUN matchup will be VERY interesting. I think Bowdoin players will get over confident about an hour or two before the match when they see the size advantage they have especially when they see RUN 5'6 GK. That will be their 1st mistake because RUN has plenty of skill and play fast two touch futbol and will be able to do that on Brandeis turf. The 2nd mistake will be Wiercinski starting Morant and Niang in midfield. He should push both up top in this game for their size and bring Masterson off the bench as Niang and especially Morant will be liabilities in midfield defensively in this matchup. RUN #7 on the flank will be causing havoc all game for McColl but better to have McColl on him than the other wingback who is a bit of a liability. When McColl overlaps than Ellsworth will have to drop and deal with him and he is not a good enough 1v1 defender so that will draw over Bubb or Ward and leave their best player #11 all 5'6 of him DeSouza against possibly 1 CB. Just 2 totally different approaches and each side will have an advantage over the other in different areas. I do believe that RUN will have to go out and win this game as PK's they will lose the GK matchup. I thought the RUN GK made some decent saves in the Rowan game and he is quick as a cat but I could never start a GK that is 5'6. I would go NUTS..

This is a very interesting matchup indeed, probably the first round pick of the quadrant, and I agree that both teams will have advantages in certain areas. I also agree that RUN needs to win in regulation or OT, as -- in addition to having a 5'6" goaltender -- Bowdoin 'keeper van Siclen has an excellent record with PKs (I wouldn't be surprised if he's saved 50%+ of pens faced). It will be a battle of contrasting styles. One reason I could see Bowdoin winning is that NCAA games tend to favor teams capable of scrapping out results, as they're often tight and tenuous. Over the years, Bowdoin has showed an ability to get those results, as has their fellow quadrant member Brandeis, but I am not sure that RUN is similarly capable in those types of games (worth noting their Sweet 16 win over SUNY Oneonta last year was largely in part thanks to an early, three-goal blitz rather than a late winner).

This Bowdoin team features largely different personnel than the 2014 team that won the NESCAC, but this matchup (on paper) reminds me a lot of the aforementioned Brandeis vs. Bowdoin matchup that year, as stylistically Bowdoin is still quite similar. When I saw Brandeis was going to play Bowdoin that year, I'll admit I was quite nervous for the Judges, as I thought quite likely that Bowdoin would sit in (they did) and nick a goal from a set piece at the other end (they didn't). Even though Brandeis had beaten a NESCAC side earlier that season in Tufts, a 2-0 win at home, demonstrating physicality that I hadn't seen from them before, and while Tufts went on to win the national title, I did get the sense that Tufts "let [them] play," as it was a pretty open game, consistent with Tufts' attacking philosophy that year with players like Santos/Hoppenot/Brown. Bowdoin, however, had won the NESCAC by bunkering down, not conceding (or scoring) in the semis or final, yet they still managed to put three (some might say fortuitous) goals by Brockport in the 1st Round (deflected shot, header from a corner, breakaway goal). In the 2nd Round game, Brandeis got at Bowdoin in the first half, but didn't really create much, and Bowdoin looked pretty comfortable defensively for most of the game. As the second half wore down, Brandeis started to turn the screw, and the Polar Bears got a bit more stretched. I think the speed of the turf wore them down, as they were on the back foot with the ball moving extremely quickly for long spells. Eventually, a failed clear led to a turnover, which led to a cross, which led to the goal.

Certainly Bowdoin had the height and physical advantage over Brandeis, but Brandeis had more skill and speed, and the Polar Bears ended up defending so much of the game that it wore them down. That is one way to combat a physical disadvantage -- they were pinned back pretty much the whole second half prior to the goal, which was scored in the 75th minute, and while they didn't look particularly vulnerable, I did get the sense that a goal was coming well before it arrived. They had a late header from White which was easily snared by Graffy, and -- aside from the early disallowed goal by Dias Costa -- they really didn't threaten much offensively. With Bowdoin possessing a similar physical advantage over RUN, and RUN knowing this, I suspect that's what RUN will try to do -- keep them on the back foot chasing the ball and wear them down.

As SoccerMom has observed, Bowdoin looks most vulnerable this year when they bunker down, and truenorth mentioned that Bowdoin's best chance of advancing is to get after it and be less conservative -- I agree with them both. That being said, I don't see Wiercinski changing his tactics, particularly not at high-stakes times like this.

PaulNewman

I would be remiss if I didn't offer congrats to Middlebury who suffer here for attention given the Tufts focus and Bowdoin love.  4 years of Conrad and Glaser produced zero NCAA appearances.  A couple of those years there was little difference in profiles between Tufts and Midd.  Tufts got bids and went on to D3 soccer immortality, while Midd stayed home and enjoyed Ben and Jerry's, Cabot cheese and the Snow Bowl.

Mr.Right

Yes I agree BUT 2014 Brandeis was by far more physical than RUN will be and were more talented than RUN this year. Bowdoin with a few exceptions looks to be the same outfit just interchanging different pieces and names here and there. I am also unsure of how RUN will deal with Bowdoin's physicality. That is why I wanted to see that RUN at Amherst match a month or so ago but we had technical difficulties. That would have given us a sense of how RUN would deal with Bowdoin. I do think the turf will help RUN push the ball as quick as they did against Rowan on Saturday which should keep Bowdoin on its heels a bit.