2014 NCAA Tournament

Started by Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan), March 01, 2014, 11:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 29, 2014, 07:02:44 PM
I didn't study the lists carefully, but in a quick scan, I don't think there has ever been a three-time first-team AA among the men (though 8-10 two-timers, including CCIW luminaries Adam Dauksas, Kent Raymond, Steve Djurickovic, and Joel Kolmodin - apologies to anyone I missed).  Carissa Verkaik (Calvin) did it for the women, and (IF she can stay healthy and stays in d3), Sydney Moss seems inevitable for the women.  (Didn't go back far enough to see if there were others - since the women do not yet have the parity of the men, I suspect there were.)

Do we think Sydney Moss is staying in D3?
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Pat Coleman

Think she's going to go pro early? :)

She would have to sit out a year to take a scholarship.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I have heard plenty of rumors from schools that compete against her in the Great Lakes, but nothing from the actual school... so I think the rumors are based on wishful thinking or hoping she doesn't stay around. As Pat points out, she would have to sit a year and I am not sure she would want that considering that didn't seem like an option if she transferred within Division 1 (one year if she is released, two years if Florida hadn't released her - which they weren't going to do initially since it looked like Kentucky would probably try and grab her).
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 29, 2014, 05:56:55 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 28, 2014, 01:03:21 AM
Your historical amnesia regarding Reich (2000-03 was not that long ago) is remarkable, Chuck. I mean, c'mon -- he was the four-time MVP of one of the top leagues in D3. (One of these days the UAA braintrust will wise up and rename their MVP award the Derek Reich Trophy.) He was a three-time d3hoops.com first-team All-American (Pat will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember there being any other three-time first-teamers). And when he was named to the d3hoops.com All-Decade first team, I recall nary a peep in protest from anyone about it.

Gibbs? All that guy did was put his team on his back and carried them to a national championship as a senior in 2002. (Don't know why you'd think he played more than 20 years ago; it's barely been a dozen years since he cut down the net in Salem.) He had 25 points and 25 rebounds in the championship game that year. He scored over 1,900 points and pulled down nearly 1,500 rebounds in four seasons at Otterbein. And he shot nearly 64% from the field over the course of his career, which is an insane number even for a guy who spent all of his time around the basket. And he was named as the All-Decade team's second-team center. All in all, not bad for a center who probably doesn't stand any taller than 6'1 (depends upon whom you ask).

Oh, my!  A rare chance to gloat over a factual error by Greg!  Derek Reich was 'only' a two-time first-team AA (2001 and 2003 - in 2002 Jeff Gibbs knocked him to second team).  And he was first team center only in 2001 - in 2003, Joel Kolmodin was so good that Reich somehow became a forward! ;)

I took my Reich data straight from his All-Decade bio on d3hoops.com, Chuck.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Pat Coleman

Huh -- so that page has been inaccurate for about six years and nobody has noticed, or at least said anything. How about that ...
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: ronk on March 29, 2014, 10:54:01 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 29, 2014, 09:01:59 PM
I didn't study the lists carefully, but in a quick scan, I don't think there has ever been a three-time first-team AA among the men (though 8-10 two-timers, including CCIW luminaries Adam Dauksas, Kent Raymond, Steve Djurickovic, and Joel Kolmodin - apologies to anyone I missed).  Carissa Verkaik (Calvin) did it for the women, and (IF she can stay healthy and stays in d3), Sydney Moss seems inevitable for the women.  (Didn't go back far enough to see if there were others - since the women do not yet have the parity of the men, I suspect there were.)

Nope - no others.  Since until Carissa Verkaik there had never been a F or So on the first team, there couldn't have been a three time winner.

Ronda Jo Miller Gallaudet 1998-2000

How did you get access to the 1997-98 AA team?  It won't access from the front page.

ronk

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 31, 2014, 01:02:04 AM
Quote from: ronk on March 29, 2014, 10:54:01 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 29, 2014, 09:01:59 PM

Nope - no others.  Since until Carissa Verkaik there had never been a F or So on the first team, there couldn't have been a three time winner.

Ronda Jo Miller Gallaudet 1998-2000

How did you get access to the 1997-98 AA team?  It won't access from the front page.
You're right - no access there; I went instead to the All-decade team and it's in her bio; was looking to see if Scranton's Taryn Mellody was a 3-time 1st team All-American and caught Miller's bio at the same time.

Pat Coleman

Our 1997-98 All-American team:

First Team
Misty Hart, Guard, Christopher Newport
Suzy Venet, Guard, Mount Union
Katie Haley, Forward, Western Maryland
Alia Fischer, Center, Washington University
Ronda Jo Miller, Center, Gallaudet

Second Team
Jenn Denby, Guard, Rowan
Colleen McCrave, Guard, Bates
Suzette Henry, Forward, Hunter
Gretchen MacColl, Forward, Trinity (Conn.)
Laura Haynes, Center, Guilford

Third Team
Jayme Anderson, Guard, Beloit
DeAnn Edge, Guard/Forward, Anderson
Kristen Venne, Forward, Susquehanna
Jessica Ott, Forward, UW-Stevens Point
Jen Brown, Center, Southern Maine

Honorable Mention
Anna Celaya, Guard, Occidental
Jennifer Ewing, Guard, University of the Ozarks
Katie Montague, Forward, Wooster
Julie Anderson, Forward, Johns Hopkins
Stephanie Lodermeier, Forward, Augsburg
Laura Wendorff, Center, St. Benedict

We didn't capture years or hometowns on these folks so it doesn't fit our current All-American format. It's on the list to take care of this offseason -- some of the info was difficult to track down when I had to do the same for the 1998 men's team.

All of the 1998 All-American selections are reflected in our all-time list:
http://www.d3hoops.com/awards/all-americans/women/alltime