World Cup and European leagues

Started by Jim Matson, June 11, 2006, 12:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScotsFan

I wasn't sure about the financial difference between the EPL Title and the Champions League title.  Hearing that there is more money at stake in winning the Champions League, not to mention the bragging rights that go along with saying your club is the best in all of Europe, I would have to say that Chelsea is in a real tough spot. 

The fact that they are in the FA Cup Finals might lessen the blow to the Blues and their fans, should they not catch ManU for the EPL Title.  I know what you mean when you say how seriously the English fans covet their Cups.  I was in London back in '97 when Chelsea won the FA Cup and the celebrations that ensued were unbeleivable! 

So, I retract what I said about Saturday's EPL matches for both Chelsea and ManU.  Thier sights are definately set on each other, but moreso in facing one another in the Champions League finals as well as the FA Cup final which is already set!

What really astounds me by the developements of this season is the fact that there are 2 EPL teams in position to pull off the Treble! :o  Pulling off the Treble is an incredibly difficult feat for one team to pull off, let alone having 2 teams battling it out down to the wire for the possibility of pulling it off!!!

Can anyone recall in recent EPL history of any 2 teams battling it out for the Champions League, FA Cup and 1-2 in the EPL Title chase like Chelsea and ManU are about to do should they both get through the semis of the CL?  This is some fun stuff we are being witness to!

Hoosier Titan

Quote from: Hoops Fan on April 27, 2007, 12:07:32 PM

As far as fans go, what do think the fans like more?  Especially from these super-clubs who are always competing in Europe, sure the EPL title is great, but being European Champion has to be high on the list.  I haven't had much exposure to UK fans, but it seems like they are far more into cup competitions (FA Cup, Champs League) than they are the EPL.  Again, an "it's nice to win, but so long as we get a top place we're ok" sort of mentality.  What do you all think?

At the moment, I imagine that Man U and Chelsea supporters are much higher on the EPL than anybody else, for good reason.

Europe, and particularly the Champions League, is very important to Liverpool for historical reasons; there's a rich tradition there.  If you go to the LFC website there's a selection of realtones with the Kop singing in full voice.  "You'll Never Walk Alone," of course, but "We've Won It Five Times" as well.  Of course, the fact that LFC are currently third in the EPL and have no chance of overtaking the top two makes the priorities clear.  I think they'd still like to finish ahead of Arsenal in the EPL, but Rafa has been known to make hard choices (like the FA and Carling Cup matches this year).

Remember, too, that Chelsea still have to play Arsenal in the EPL this season.  I think that they are stretched the thinnest.
You'll never walk alone.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

The good thing is that Arsenal are falling apart, so I don't think there will be a problem for Liverpool (who are playing well) to finish in third.  They do love their Champs League, though and you have to like their chances as this squad is markedly better than the one that won it all two years ago.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Hoosier Titan

Steven Gerrard, Jamie Carragher, and Jose Reina are not even making the trip to Portsmouth, and Benitez plans to rest several other players as well.  He's quoted on ESPN Soccernet: 'The priority of my club is getting through the semi-final and reaching the final of the Champions League. If we finished third in the premiership it would be really good, but to play in the final of the Champions League would be better.' 

That makes Liverpool's priorities pretty clear!
You'll never walk alone.

ScotsFan

ManU is now 5 points clear of Chelsea after today's EPL action.  ManU had a dramatic come from behind win at Everton, 4-2.

Meanwhile, Chelsea couldn't preserve a 2-1 lead at the half at Stamford Bridge as they allowed Bolton to score the equalizer in the 2nd half.  Bolton then hung on for dear life to preserve the draw!

ManU's match with Everton had trouble written all over it for the Reds.  ManU trailed at the half 1-0 and Everton made ManU's bid for even a point look gloomy only 5 minutes into the 2nd half as they made it 2-0.  That's when the comeback started for ManU.  John O'Shea got the Reds on the board first.  Then Phil Neville put in an own goal off of a Ronaldo header to even the match.  Rooney kept his scoring boots on as he found the back of the net to give the Reds their first lead of the match and then sub Chris Eagles cemented the win for ManU with a goal in the 90th minute putting the Reds 5 clear of Chelsea! 8)

With this huge win for ManU, they now only need one more win to secure the EPL title.  A win at Manchester City next Saturday would clinch the title for ManU!  Perhaps the first in ManU's quest for the Treble!!!

Hoosier Titan

Sounds like a huge win for Man U and a big setback for Chelsea with the draw.

Benitez made good on that quote I posted earlier.  Robbie Fowler and Craig Bellamy started at striker; Peter Crouch was not even on the substitute list (meaning it's likely he'll start against Chelsea at Anfield on Tuesday).  Stoppage time just ended, wtih Portsmouth taking the win at 2-1.  Sami Hyypia scored, a fairly rare occurance, for the only Liverpool goal. 

Speaking of Portsmouth, does anyone else think David James has been playing much better this season than ever before?  He seems rejuvenated.
You'll never walk alone.

sac

Liverpool fielded a really weak team today, looks like they rested their substitutes as well.  It was practically a B squad team today.

ManU's comeback is pretty impressive, that should give them a big lift going to Italy.  If they can beat Man City next weekend and face Chelsea the next Wed. with a 5 point lead, they should feel pretty safe.  Chelsea has blown two golden opportunities 2 weekends in a row to catch United.

David James has looked good in the games I've seen him........doesn't he have a pretty good defense in front of him also.  Sol Campbell still looks pretty good at times.  But I would agree, he seemed to be in goalie purgatory the last 3 or 4 years.

Quote from: ScotsFan on April 28, 2007, 11:52:04 AM

With this huge win for ManU, they now only need one more win to secure the EPL title.  A win at Manchester City next Saturday would clinch the title for ManU!  Perhaps the first in ManU's quest for the Treble!!!

Not quite...........ManU has 3 games left with ManCity, Chelsea, West Ham
Chelsea have Arsenal, ManU and Everton.

ScotsFan

Quote from: sac on April 28, 2007, 02:47:30 PM
Quote from: ScotsFan on April 28, 2007, 11:52:04 AM

Not quite...........ManU has 3 games left with ManCity, Chelsea, West Ham
Chelsea have Arsenal, ManU and Everton.
You're right.  I was going by what they were saying on the ManU website's writeup of the Everton match.  They've since changed it stating that ManU needs a maximum of 5 points to clinch the title.  Of course, if ManU were to win and Chelsea could only muster another draw vs. Arsenal, the title would be ManU's.

One question I have is, say ManU clinches the title next week.  Given the fact that ManU and Chelsea already have a date scheduled for May 19th in the FA Cup Final and the possibility of having another date in Athens for the Champions League final, do these 2 teams bring their youth clubs for that match? ;)  Of course I'm kidding about the youth clubs, but, this match would be virtually meaningless, and it would seem pointless to either side to field a strong team risking injuries that could affect their clashes of significance in the near future. 

Personally, I'm hoping that ManU doesn't clinch on Saturday, so we could get the chance to see these 2 clubs really go after it!  But I won't be complaining if ManU could manage to wrap it up Saturday either!

Browneagle64

I hope that everyone on this board is pulling for S. Africa to be able to host the 2010 world cup events. Although, we still have time before those summer games, FIFA has already decided to call the STATES, Spain and even Mexico to be considered as Plan B if the S.Africans are not ready and prepared to host the games. I sure do hope they get everything togther and are able to host the games.
What do you guys think?
"Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not illumination."--Vin Scully

"I don't really care," he said with an impish smile. "It's all about the Dodgers. I don't think anyone really watches hockey anymore.".....Tiger Woods

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I heard England was included as a possible alternative host as well.

Chelsea and Liverpool today.  Should be a good one.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Liverpool have evened the tie midway through the first half of play.  They either need to keep pushing or bring everyone back.  They have to keep Chelsea off the board or score two more.  A 2-1 win gets them nothing; gotta love away goals.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

We're heading to penalties at Anfield.  I totally called this.  I'm rooting for Liverpool, but of course anything can happen in penalties.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Liverpool are headed back to the final.  Two late (100+ minute) subs Robben and Geremi have their penalties saved by Reina and Liverpool advance.

sac

ScotsFan

Quote from: sac on May 01, 2007, 05:44:39 PM
So was that tense enough?
Just a tad!!!  For as boring as their 1st leg was at Stamford Bridge, this one lived up to and surpassed all the hype surrounding it! 

I was on the edge of my couch the entire 2nd half.  And then I had to endure 2 extra times before Reina came up HUGE in penalties! 

As much as I wanted to see Chelsea and ManU in the finals, I just couldn't fnd myself pulling for them at all!  They're what I consider the equivalent to the Yankees and the 'Evil Emire' of the EPL, so I just love it when they get beat!

That atmosphere at Anfield was pretty special as well!  As if there's not enough pressure on these players to convert their penalties, can you imagine having to do it as nearly 50,000 Liverpool supporters are jeering and booing you would be daunting to say the least!  I wonder what affect Anfield had on Robben and Geremi? 8)