MBB: Skyline Conference

Started by Mike Dougherty aka Knightstalker, July 28, 2004, 10:25:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityD3

I think it's terrible that to be a top team in this region, you have to pick up  DI/DII rejects. Wish these programs built themselves the old fashioned way.

SKYLINEBOY

That seems to be the direction both the skyline and the njac are going in. Some teams still get recruits from high school, like Mt St Mary. But overall, these conferences will both be dictated by d1/d2 transfers.

CityD3

How does Purchase receive top votes for top 25 with no roster posted?

Pat Coleman

Just because they haven't posted a roster doesn't mean we don't have information on them in-house. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Nyc_Basketball

This years Purchase Panthers have the opportunity to do something special. With Warrington leading the charge & watching them play this summer, I predict a 3 peat. I am pretty sure the squad will be tested after reviewing there schedule but I'm sure head coach Jeff Charney isn't worried a tad bit. Instead of this being a rebuilding year after graduating 9 seniors this team is fully loaded with talent.

CityD3

It's amazing how Charney does it, lose an all-american and they dont skip a beat..After reviewing other rosters I noticed Trey Black is back for St. Joe's. He played for Suffolk Community College in 07-08 (see link below.) I guess he didn't play enough games for it to count against his eligibility? I don't know the rules for transfers to D3.

http://www.njcaa.org/colleges_college_stats.cfm?category=stats&sid=6&divid=3&slid=2&collegeId=1457&seasonselect=391

SKYLINEBOY

Quote from: CityD3 on November 10, 2011, 04:06:23 PM
It's amazing how Charney does it, lose an all-american and they dont skip a beat..After reviewing other rosters I noticed Trey Black is back for St. Joe's. He played for Suffolk Community College in 07-08 (see link below.) I guess he didn't play enough games for it to count against his eligibility? I don't know the rules for transfers to D3.

http://www.njcaa.org/colleges_college_stats.cfm?category=stats&sid=6&divid=3&slid=2&collegeId=1457&seasonselect=391

All the teams in this conference cheat, so what difference does it make?

d3bballlova

Yup. Just about every team that is in the top half of the Skyline cheats. The coaches cheating know who they are too. There should be an audit done on not only their recruiting methods but also their admissions qualifications. It is my belief that Some of the Skyline schools are getting kids in with the worst of grades just so they can bounce a ball. There needs to be a greater focus on developing young people not basketball players.

Billy Baller

Farmingdale seems to be the top dog in the conference at the moment...7'0" center A.J. "why is not at a d1 school?" Matthews is averaging 26 and 16 right now through the 4 games he's played in...they've got some other decent pieces, nobody too big or super impressive but when you have a 7 footer who can play in the middle, what else do you really need?  They did lose to Hamilton though so that was a sour note...the loss to John Jay was without Matthews in the lineup for some reason.

As for the rest of the conference: MSM, solid but not super impressive.  MSV?  Too small to do any real damage.  Old Westbury isn't strong (they do have one or two very good players but won't contend this year).  Interesting that St. Joe's is undefeated and won the East Conn tourni...they are playing a pretty much wing man game...everyone in their rotation is between 6'1 and 6'4"...no real post presence, just a lot of running and gunning and doing it well with guys who have played together for four years.

Purchase looked horrible against two better teams in Stevens Tech & Williams but has beaten everyone at "their level"...all new faces on their squad and will most likely add new guys in the spring (as most of these teams will).  They are a real "wait and see" team: the matchup with William Paterson should feature any spring transfers they get: that will be the "legit" test for them moving forward as well as their matchup with Farmingdale & St. Joe's.

Team wise, Skyline not looking strong.  Individually however, take the best 5 players from each position in this conference, you'll have a talented group.

Billy Baller

Farmingdale wins handily against MSV...they are just too strong for other Skyline teams this year.  Close games against Hamilton & Randolph Macon but didn't have quite enough to get over the hump there...their other loss came without Matthews in the lineup so i don't really count that one.

Unfortunately, for this team to go somewhere in the NCAA tournament this year, it looks like they are going to need ONE more piece...their squad is good but not very deep and outside of Matthews, it's kind of unspectacular.  If the only had one more explosive 6'4" type guy...a Lance Brown of sorts.  Like I said, put Matthews on this years' WP team and WOW!

7express

Took the trip West on 84 to Newburgh after my class at Western Connecticut tonight, and saw St. Joes get absolutely steamrolled by Mount St. Mary.  Even though the final was "only" 99-61, the closest the game was at the opening tip off; MSM was up 33 at halftime, and had it in the mid 40's for most of the game before a late SJ run got the margin under 40.  If the Skyline wasn't a 1 bid league anyways (St. Joes would've been close if they finished undefeated and lost in the Skyline finals) it sure looks that way now.

smorris12

So, My boys (Albertus)are playing st Joe's, looks like BOTH teams like to run, they both played Yale within the past 3 years and lost but hung tough, athlectically they look even, askew is obviously a huge factor, I wonder how st Joe's will guard him, I think Dugas and Lora need 28 combined and AMC wins!   St Joe's is actually a topic of conversation because they received an at large bid, that might fuel them, I hope not!!  Good luck to both teams!!

SKYLINEBOY

Anyone hear anything about recruiting? Hopefully St. Joes got some new guys to replace to their seniors...Does anyone know if Matthews is coming back for Farmingdale?

CityD3

Amazing how dead the atlantic region boards are so dead. Looks like the skyline is SUNY's lose with the catholic schools, St. Joe's-LI and Mount St Mary's graduating their star players. Old Westbury impressive with their only two losses being Salisbury and NYU. Purchase and Farmingdale round out the top 3. Who gets the remaining 3 tournament spots?

7express

I'd go: Farmingdale, Purchase, Westbury, Mount St. Mary, Yeshiva and St. Joseph's (LI).  I think they turn it around in January & February.