FB: American Southwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Third Division and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Etchglow

Quote from: Ron Boerger on May 12, 2021, 09:37:07 AM
Strictly speaking, do D3 players even have to enter the portal if they want to transfer to another D3 school, or is the reason for doing so to make it known that you're "on the market" and increase your visibility to D3 as well as possibly scholarship schools?

If I had to take a wild guess maybe they're trying for scholarships schools?  Otherwise, it probably just helps with exposure. 

Reverendbiker

Quote from: Ron Boerger on May 12, 2021, 09:37:07 AM
Strictly speaking, do D3 players even have to enter the portal if they want to transfer to another D3 school, or is the reason for doing so to make it known that you're "on the market" and increase your visibility to D3 as well as possibly scholarship schools?
D3 players don't have to use the portal, and can transfer at will, even in conference.  Look at Kyle Jones, for example.  I can only assume that they are making these big social media announcements to get some attention--possibly from a scholarship school.  The only other reason I see for these guys to transfer is that they want more playing time (Eagans) or they want a chance to play for a ring.  In that case they better head to Belton.

Reverendbiker

[/quote]

Also Dedrick Strambler of HSU entered the transfer portal a couple weeks back, so a couple of the better DBs in the conference will be on the move. Wouldn't be surprised if the DBs mentioned end up staying in conference as well since they only have 1 year of eligibility left.
[/quote]

Strambler is a heckuva player, and was all-ASC along with Bell and Fritz.  Wouldn't it be interesting to see them all in Belton?  Strambler is big enough to play LB, but I sure don't know if he could beat out any of the Cru incumbents...

Riley Zayas

Quote from: Reverendbiker on May 12, 2021, 11:30:19 AM

Also Dedrick Strambler of HSU entered the transfer portal a couple weeks back, so a couple of the better DBs in the conference will be on the move. Wouldn't be surprised if the DBs mentioned end up staying in conference as well since they only have 1 year of eligibility left.
[/quote]

Strambler is a heckuva player, and was all-ASC along with Bell and Fritz.  Wouldn't it be interesting to see them all in Belton?  Strambler is big enough to play LB, but I sure don't know if he could beat out any of the Cru incumbents...
[/quote]
Yeah...one thing I will say is that both of them received follows on social media from several of UMHB's coaches, which gives the impression that UMHB is, at the very least, somewhat interested. To bring them to Belton would be huge, and I don't think it is too far off to think that could be a likely scenario. I think if Strambler ends up in Belton, it'd probably be most likely to see him compete for one of the CB positions or even play the Cru (flex safety position). Time will tell...
Proverbs 21:31. D3hoops.com WBB Top 25 voter. On the UMHB beat as the managing editor of TrueToTheCru.com, covering everything in CRU athletics. Read my blog, The Scoop on D3 Women's Hoops. Find it on the D3hoops.com Daily Dose.

justafan12

I have been told that HPU #2 rusher Billy Reagins is not returning to HPU in the fall.  Has an offer from a D1 school.

Riley Zayas

Some transfer news regarding UMHB:
Casey Buck, who played pretty well at Wayland Baptist, is transferring to UMHB, he announced today. He is a linebacker, who will likely compete for playing time early on. Might begin the season as a backup, though, considering the talent the Cru already have at the LB positions.
https://truetothecru.com/2021/05/17/wayland-baptist-lb-casey-buck-to-transfer-to-umhb-for-2021-season/
Proverbs 21:31. D3hoops.com WBB Top 25 voter. On the UMHB beat as the managing editor of TrueToTheCru.com, covering everything in CRU athletics. Read my blog, The Scoop on D3 Women's Hoops. Find it on the D3hoops.com Daily Dose.

justafan12

ASC teams who have their fall schedules on their website:

Austin College
HPU
UMHB
ETBU
Hardin Simmons
Sul Ross
McMurry

Riley Zayas

Confirmed: UMHB will bring back 10 of its 11 starters on offense, plus nearly all of the second-stringers as well. I have to think the Cru will pick up a couple of transfers as the summer progresses as well.

https://truetothecru.com/2021/05/28/umhb-football-roster-outlook-offense-to-return-10-of-its-11-starters/

justafan12

One thing that amazes me is the QB for UMHB Kyle King.  Not that he is not talented but when he was at HPU he was #3 QB and the only time I saw him play HPU ran the wildcat formation.  I am glad he found a school that could evaluate and develop talent.

crufootball

Quote from: justafan12 on May 28, 2021, 12:01:28 PM
One thing that amazes me is the QB for UMHB Kyle King.  Not that he is not talented but when he was at HPU he was #3 QB and the only time I saw him play HPU ran the wildcat formation.  I am glad he found a school that could evaluate and develop talent.

In HPU's defense, Kyle was only a freshmen at the time and their starter was a transfer who had 3 years of college under his belt and the second string guy would go on to start most of the games in 2019.

With that said I am intrigued to see what Kyle can do when I have to assume he goes into the offseason as the QB1. 

justafan12

Quote from: crufootball on June 01, 2021, 10:54:28 AM

In HPU's defense, Kyle was only a freshmen at the time and their starter was a transfer who had 3 years of college under his belt and the second string guy would go on to start most of the games in 2019.

With that said I am intrigued to see what Kyle can do when I have to assume he goes into the offseason as the QB1.

But to go from 3rd string for a 1-9 team to starting QB for undefeated conference champion and national power; someone missed the boat.

Etchglow

Quote from: justafan12 on June 01, 2021, 03:17:25 PM
Quote from: crufootball on June 01, 2021, 10:54:28 AM

But to go from 3rd string for a 1-9 team to starting QB for undefeated conference champion and national power; someone missed the boat.

Besides coaching, and him getting older, I'm sure the quality of players on the field helped his play be elevated as well. When you have some legit threats at wr and a Cormier carving up the defense like in the conference championship game it has to help a ton.

Riley Zayas

UMHB just picked up a commitment from safety Deryn Taylor, who has spent time at both Abilene Christian and Texas State. He has 4 years of eligibility remaining, and alongside Jefferson Fritz, would help form one of the best secondaries in the ASC, possibly the entire nation.

https://truetothecru.com/2021/06/09/former-div-1-safety-deryn-taylor-to-transfer-to-umhb/

Reverendbiker

Quote from: True To The Cru on June 09, 2021, 05:06:54 PM
He has 4 years of eligibility remaining, and alongside Jefferson Fritz, would help form one of the best secondaries in the ASC, possibly the entire nation.

https://truetothecru.com/2021/06/09/former-div-1-safety-deryn-taylor-to-transfer-to-umhb/
Could well be, but he's done nothing yet at the college level and he's got to get past Jayden Smith.  Just sayin...

Riley Zayas

Very true...it will be an interesting competition between Smith and Taylor headed into fall camp...I see Taylor as a starter his sophomore year, just because Fritz is a lock at starting free safety and Smith showed so much talent during the spring at the Cru position...but based on film, Taylor looks incredibly athletic and will certainly add depth to the UMHB secondary whether he starts this fall or not.