FB: Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain_Joe08

Yeah BenU should be eligible for conference championships starting next year. They could've gotten at-large bids for the NCAA tournaments I believe.

On the whole adding St. Norbert to the league should up the conference profile a bit in football. SNC will be in the running for one of the favorites in a yearly basis and should make the top of the league more competitive.

On a different note.....what will this move do to the MIAA-NACC Challenge series? Will a NACC team have to sit out of the games to give keep it even or would a random team be pulled into the series each year to even it out?
Once a Warrior always a Warrior.
WLC Men's Tennis (2014 NACC Tournament Champs)
2014 MIAA Football Pick 'Em Champ
2014 WIAC Football Pick 'Em Regular Season Co-Champ
2014 National Confidence Playoff Champion
Milwaukee Brewers: 2018 NL Central Champions

WW

Quote from: Captain_Joe08 on April 05, 2019, 12:28:33 AM
Yeah BenU should be eligible for conference championships starting next year. They could've gotten at-large bids for the NCAA tournaments I believe.

On the whole adding St. Norbert to the league should up the conference profile a bit in football. SNC will be in the running for one of the favorites in a yearly basis and should make the top of the league more competitive.

On a different note.....what will this move do to the MIAA-NACC Challenge series? Will a NACC team have to sit out of the games to give keep it even or would a random team be pulled into the series each year to even it out?

No inside knowledge here but I think it makes sense for MIAA-NACC to go away. Presuming NACC teams will play 8 league games upon SNC's arrival, that necessitates only two NC games. I doubt NACC teams have much trouble finding nearby NC foes. MIAA games are a hike for many NACC schools anyway.

SNC is already scheduled out with home-and-homes on its NC slate through 2021, so they don't have room for a MIAA-NACC game, unless they break one of those deals.

Rhythm21

Aurora's football twitter account dropped the first recruiting class of the Don Beebe era a few days ago with individual tweets featuring each commit (Twitter page@ https://twitter.com/au_spartanfb?lang=en). Haven't been able to look in depth into all as of yet, but there are a couple that stood out immediately after watching their highlights.

Brycen Horn, Strong Safety, El Paso, Texas
Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/profile/6099048/Brycen-Horn
Spartans just graduated starting Safety Casey Kurinec, opening up a competition for the vacated spot next to senior Kam Ryan. From the highlights it is apparent this kid loves to hit. He runs the alley well and gets ball carriers to the ground with little trouble. He shows the speed to play hash to sideline, the instincts to dissect route combinations, and the ball skills to pick it off and turn into a dangerous  return man. Really excited to see if he can come out of camp as the starter week 1.

Marcellus Romious, Inside Linebacker, Belleville, IL
Highlights: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/7395959/5ba85490dfe2760f00a6fcff
Has the size and frame to carry another 15-20 pounds and still display the quick twitch that allows him to read and attack the run, filling lanes as soon as the RB thinks about hitting it. He is a consistent tackler who can shed blocks easily (or, in some cases, make the blocker whiff completely) and make the play. Didn't see a lot of passes head his way, but he displayed the ability on screen passes and crossing routes to recognize what was coming during his zone drop and fly to the football. If nothing else, this is a freshman that can make an impact on all special teams.

Sam Varner, Wide Receiver, Little Elm, Texas
Highlights: https://www.hudl.com/profile/5494514/Samuel-Varner
I'm really excited to see Beebe and his staff pulling recruits out of the Lone Star State, if that wasn't apparent. Varner is listed at 5'7 165 pounds, and both numbers might be a little exaggerated . . . but watch his senior season highlights. He spends a good part of it lined up at Tight end/Super back, and the way he blocks makes you forget about his measurements. This kid is tenacious. And no he's not going to be able to line up at TE in the NACC and take on Defensive Ends, but he'll line up in the slot, get out on a safety and help turn a 10-15 yard run from Tyran Bailey/Connor Olson into a 50 yard touchdown. What really excites me about Varner is his explosive speed and quickness, very reminiscent to the brief career of Michael Hart-Beasley. Speed speed speed; There are plenty highlights of Varner running a seam route from the slot or a 9 route from the split and just leaving Defensive Backs in his wake. He has quick feet that let him gain separation and his run-after catch is exciting. He either makes a cut in the open field that leaves tacklers diving at air or drops a shoulder and straight runs them over. Big-time get for the Spartans. With Logiurato graduating, would be surprised if he isn't lining up in the slot beside Emilio Starks at some point in 2019.

So many other recruits I could go over, i.e. Brock Harner, WR from Aurora Christian (https://www.hudl.com/video/3/5474697/581112253bd815718cab374c), Ozzie Young, Athlete from North Chicago (https://www.hudl.com/video/3/9733121/5bccb5090660b108b8cb7a05), or Montez Wright, Cornerback & Halfback & Punter & Punt Returner (No, I'm not joking; check out his highlights, they're amazing) from Clovis in New Mexico (https://www.hudl.com/profile/7619777/Montez-Wright). And those are just a few of the skill position recruits to look forward to. I haven't even had a chance to delve into the offensive and defensive line commits. I know it's not even July, but . . . is it football season yet? Go Spartans
AU Black and Blue

AndOne

Quote from: Rhythm21 on February 20, 2019, 01:58:16 AM
Quote from: AndOne on November 21, 2018, 03:33:04 PM
Quote from: Rhythm21 on November 15, 2018, 11:45:25 PM
Know it's already been discussed, but we got Don Beebe!  :o

Don't get me wrong, Ponx was doing an all right job with the program. Going 5-5 in your 5th year isn't great (And I'd like to think he expected more as well.) Most wins in a season for AU during his tenure: 6 (2016; Co-NACC champions, no playoff appearance.) Apparently the seniors, along with some other Spartans, left the end-of-the-season meeting once they were informed of the school's decision and I respect them for standing behind their coach. But hopefully the FR, SO and JR players stick around long enough to hear Coach Beebe out before they transfer. Otherwise it's looking like a rough transition period is ahead. Fingers crossed it isn't.

The amazing news is, with the name recognition and pedigree, Don Beebe is going to be able to sit across from top IL recruits' living rooms and compete with the likes of North Central, Illinois Wesleyan, etc. Excited to see where my alma mater can go from here with Don Beebe at the helm!

With all due respect to AU, I sincerely doubt whether they will present much of a challenge recruiting wise when competing for kids also considering NCC, IWU, etc., Don Beebe or not.
Additionally, when you factor in the academic component, the advantage that those other schools enjoy only increases.

Haha,you figure a former Super Bowl champion won't have an effect on high school football recruits? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you were joking/inebriated when you threw that opinion out there. On top of being a former Super Bowl champion, the reputation and rapport Beebe's earned in the local high school coaching ranks is very similar to what Thorne had prior to NCC becoming a powerhouse. That's national name brand recognition for out-of-staters and local coaching relationships for the in-area recruits. True, IWU's academics may be a factor, but NCC is a closer recruiting competitor and is an average Illinois private school academically. So the academic disparity is not as much of a factor between AU and NCC as I think you believe it to be. A more prominent challenge for AU than academics is the conference tradition and football history from NACC to CCIW/AU to NCC/IWU/Wheaton, etc. But to think that AU hadn't been able to compete with the likes of IWU and NCC for recruits prior to Beebe is very naive, AndOne (Which is why I gave you the benefit of the doubt earlier.) With Beebe at the helm, AU just has a broader pitch.

Rhythm,

I have little doubt AU recruiting will take a step up with Beebe at the helm.

However, that said, you need to clean the mud off your blue tinted glasses, and present factual, as opposed to wishful, information when comparing AU with North Central, (and IWU) both athletically and academically. Actually, I'm a little surprised you chose the route you did. Perhaps I wasn't the one joking and/or inebriated at the time of my post. 😏

You stated "IWU's academics may be a factor, but NCC is a closer recruiting competitor and (NCC) is an average Illinois private school academically. So the academic disparity is not as much as a factor between AU and NCC as I think you believe it to be.

Actually, I believe the gap in academic disparity between AU and NCC is quite a bit larger than you imagine it to be.
ACADEMICALLY, here are the facts;
US News & World Report ranks Aurora as #123 in the Midwest Regional Universities category, and scores it with 33 out of a possible 100 points.
Conversely, North Central is ranked as #13 in the same Midwest Regional Universities category, with a score of 70 points.
It might just be me, but I think there is a fairly large disparity between both 13 and 123 and between 33 and 70.
I don't know if being ranked 13th in the entire Midwest Region makes NCC "an average Illinois private school academically," but I'm pretty sure it signifies a fairly sizable disparity with a school ranked 123rd in the same category.
* Incidentally, IWU doesn't offer graduate level classes so they are classified as a National Liberal Arts institution. In that category they are ranked #72 with a score of 65 points of 100.

Moving on to the difference ATHLETICALLY........
You stated, "to think AU hadn't been able to compete with the likes of IWU and NCC for recruits prior to Beebe is very naive, AndOne."

Let's see. Over the last 3 years, Aurora has won 16 games. IWU has won 24 games. NCC has won 31 games. Over those 3 years NCC has finished the season ranked #8, #8, and #10 respectively in the nation in the Final D3Football Poll.
Yes, very naive of me to think IWU and NCC do just a bit better job both recruiting and being much more athletically successful on a local, regional, and national basis. 🤔 😉

Anyway, just wanted to set the record straight. And, again, I DO think things will improve under Beebe, and will be surprised if such does not prove to be the case. 😊

Rhythm21

Quote from: AndOne on July 05, 2019, 05:45:09 PM
Quote from: Rhythm21 on February 20, 2019, 01:58:16 AM

Don't get me wrong, Ponx was doing an all right job with the program. Going 5-5 in your 5th year isn't great (And I'd like to think he expected more as well.) Most wins in a season for AU during his tenure: 6 (2016; Co-NACC champions, no playoff appearance.) Apparently the seniors, along with some other Spartans, left the end-of-the-season meeting once they were informed of the school's decision and I respect them for standing behind their coach. But hopefully the FR, SO and JR players stick around long enough to hear Coach Beebe out before they transfer. Otherwise it's looking like a rough transition period is ahead. Fingers crossed it isn't.

The amazing news is, with the name recognition and pedigree, Don Beebe is going to be able to sit across from top IL recruits' living rooms and compete with the likes of North Central, Illinois Wesleyan, etc. Excited to see where my alma mater can go from here with Don Beebe at the helm!

With all due respect to AU, I sincerely doubt whether they will present much of a challenge recruiting wise when competing for kids also considering NCC, IWU, etc., Don Beebe or not.
Additionally, when you factor in the academic component, the advantage that those other schools enjoy only increases.

Haha,you figure a former Super Bowl champion won't have an effect on high school football recruits? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you were joking/inebriated when you threw that opinion out there. On top of being a former Super Bowl champion, the reputation and rapport Beebe's earned in the local high school coaching ranks is very similar to what Thorne had prior to NCC becoming a powerhouse. That's national name brand recognition for out-of-staters and local coaching relationships for the in-area recruits. True, IWU's academics may be a factor, but NCC is a closer recruiting competitor and is an average Illinois private school academically. So the academic disparity is not as much of a factor between AU and NCC as I think you believe it to be. A more prominent challenge for AU than academics is the conference tradition and football history from NACC to CCIW/AU to NCC/IWU/Wheaton, etc. But to think that AU hadn't been able to compete with the likes of IWU and NCC for recruits prior to Beebe is very naive, AndOne (Which is why I gave you the benefit of the doubt earlier.) With Beebe at the helm, AU just has a broader pitch.

Rhythm,

I have little doubt AU recruiting will take a step up with Beebe at the helm.

However, that said, you need to clean the mud off your blue tinted glasses, and present factual, as opposed to wishful, information when comparing AU with North Central, (and IWU) both athletically and academically. Actually, I'm a little surprised you chose the route you did. Perhaps I wasn't the one joking and/or inebriated at the time of my post. 😏

You stated "IWU's academics may be a factor, but NCC is a closer recruiting competitor and (NCC) is an average Illinois private school academically. So the academic disparity is not as much as a factor between AU and NCC as I think you believe it to be.

Actually, I believe the gap in academic disparity between AU and NCC is quite a bit larger than you imagine it to be.
ACADEMICALLY, here are the facts;
US News & World Report ranks Aurora as #123 in the Midwest Regional Universities category, and scores it with 33 out of a possible 100 points.
Conversely, North Central is ranked as #13 in the same Midwest Regional Universities category, with a score of 70 points.
It might just be me, but I think there is a fairly large disparity between both 13 and 123 and between 33 and 70.
I don't know if being ranked 13th in the entire Midwest Region makes NCC "an average Illinois private school academically," but I'm pretty sure it signifies a fairly sizable disparity with a school ranked 123rd in the same category.
* Incidentally, IWU doesn't offer graduate level classes so they are classified as a National Liberal Arts institution. In that category they are ranked #72 with a score of 65 points of 100.

Moving on to the difference ATHLETICALLY........
You stated, "to think AU hadn't been able to compete with the likes of IWU and NCC for recruits prior to Beebe is very naive, AndOne."

Let's see. Over the last 3 years, Aurora has won 16 games. IWU has won 24 games. NCC has won 31 games. Over those 3 years NCC has finished the season ranked #8, #8, and #10 respectively in the nation in the Final D3Football Poll.
Yes, very naive of me to think IWU and NCC do just a bit better job both recruiting and being much more athletically successful on a local, regional, and national basis. 🤔 😉

Anyway, just wanted to set the record straight. And, again, I DO think things will improve under Beebe, and will be surprised if such does not prove to be the case. 😊

Oh no, AndOne. Please tell me you are actually kidding and know the difference between a fact and the opinion of a privately-owned news magazine that uses its own arbitrary algorithm combined with data self reported by the institutions it is trying to rank in order to increase revenue by driving traffic to their website. It's like saying "something is literally blank" when you're exaggerating that something  ::) Turns out I gave you a little too much credit when I used the word "naive" to describe your argument  ;)

So since your idea of facts are actually opinions (God, I really hope that's not what they teach at NCC), I'll just speak your language for a quick minute before getting back to the actual naive argument you posed before you tried to change the subject here. Here's Forbes "factual" list for Illinois schools:
https://www.forbes.com/top-colleges/list/#tab:rank_state:Illinois

IWU is #206, NCC is #462, AU is #615. Illinois schools range nationally from #18 all the way to #621, putting the average Illinois school at #319.5 (That's 142.5 spots above NCC, which makes NCC a below average Illinois school.) Some more "facts" for you; NCC is 256 spots below IWU and only 153 spots above AU, making them closer academically to . . .? You guessed it, Aurora University. Are these spots factual? Because they differ severely from your factual spots? The argument isn't whether NCC is better academically than AU (It is), rather that it is not such a disparity as you think, which is true. The academic standing of an institution is all about perspective and, yes, NCC is an average in terms of Illinois private academics and is not on par with say a University of Chicago in academic prowess over AU.

Great, now that we're done with that, I can get back to the original opinion you threw out with no factual references attached. Refresher to your actual point-of-view (That is, if you weren't really joking/inebriated and still stand by it  ;) ): "With all due respect to AU, I sincerely doubt whether they will present much of a challenge recruiting wise when competing for kids also considering NCC, IWU, etc., Don Beebe or not." -AndOne

Whether you meant it like this or not, what you were literally (Yes, this is going to be the correct use of the word) saying is that if a school like NCC or IWU recruits a high school football player, Aurora doesn't pose a threat to come in and scoop them, which can't possibly be the case as I had coached and played with kids who chose Aurora over NCC, Elmhurst, IWU, even schools in the Wisconsin Conference. What you seem to not grasp is that there are many variables apart from the academic and athletic history that go through a recruits mind when choosing a school to play at. There's tuition cost, immediate playing time/depth chart, how they feel about the coaches recruiting them, living expenses, the campus/city-feel/lifestyle, etc. Now this is not confirmed as far as I know, but I have heard that Beebe brought Cam Moore to AU from NCC. If that's true, we'll just chalk up your opinion quoted above as a joke and you can pretend you didn't mean it. Does NCC have the edge in recruiting vs. AU for the most part? Yes. Is it like Alabama recruiting a kid over NIU? Lol, nah, far from it. The truth is that AU does okay recruiting wise and they get a decent amount of their top targets. With Beebe, they will just get more that have CCIW interest than before.
AU Black and Blue

Ryan Stoppable

Sorry to interject here. But if people who would actually get on the field at top end CCIW/WIAC schools were coming to play in the NACC, the aforementioned teams wouldn't slaughter our champions in the playoffs basically every single year.

There have been individual players who take that decision, but never enough to make an impact on the national level - and the road to that point will be a long and gradual one if it even exists. But adding a head coach with a big name, and a school with a history of success and even of some playoff success, are both good steps towards improving the standard of play in the NACC.
Lakeland Muskies: Fear the Fish!

NCAA Appearances
Football: 17, 16, 15, 09, 05
MBB: 04
WBB: 17, 10, 06, 04, 02, 01, 99
Baseball: 03, 02 (College World Series)

Rhythm21

Quote from: Ryan Stoppable on July 09, 2019, 02:00:16 PM
Sorry to interject here. But if people who would actually get on the field at top end CCIW/WIAC schools were coming to play in the NACC, the aforementioned teams wouldn't slaughter our champions in the playoffs basically every single year.

There have been individual players who take that decision, but never enough to make an impact on the national level - and the road to that point will be a long and gradual one if it even exists. But adding a head coach with a big name, and a school with a history of success and even of some playoff success, are both good steps towards improving the standard of play in the NACC.

The debate isn't whether CCIW teams like NCC and IWU are more accomplished and talented than NACC schools like AU, that is a given. The argument was that, even with Beebe, AU can't recruit against IWU/NCC at all, which is simply not true, as you yourself stated above. The NACC is still in its beginning stages and does have a way to go to catch the upper echelon of the CCIW, but let's not confuse CCIW teams with WIAC teams (You know, the conference that has played in almost every NAT CHAMPIONSHIP in the past decade+). AU has played CCIW teams competitively (I believe IWU and AU have had some one score games in the more recent past.)

Also, to put this nonsense to rest and actually set the record straight, Cam Moore, the highly touted former Wheaton Warrenville South WR/FS that played on NCC as a freshman and made a significant impact last season, has Aurora University Spartans '22 on his twitter account, essentially confirming him leaving NCC for AU. Thus, the statement AndOne made about AU not posing a threat in recruiting to NCC/IWU/etc., with or without Beebe, is entirely contradicted. And there is nothing wrong with that, AndOne. You are allowed to have wrong opinions, it's 2019  ;) Just don't call them facts  :)
AU Black and Blue

AndOne

First of all, Rhythm, Cameron Moore was recruited out of high school by D2 Grand Valley State, at which he was unable to play.
He then, somewhat sensibly, transferred to a largely successful D3 program at NCC. Next year, he'll play for a slightly less well known D3 program at Aurora, Moore's third school in three years.
Why would he leave a program in which he was successful for a program at a less well known and regarded, both football-wise, and academically, school?

And, rather than just regaling us with a blurb that Beebe "recruited" Moore away from NCC, why don't you enlighten us as to exactly how this phenomenon occurred. Did Moore just suddenly call Coach Beebe, out of the blue, and express a desire to play for him at Aurora? Exactly when and how in his "recruitment" was contact with Mr. Moore initiated??
You know, he could have gone to Aurora either right out of high school, or following his stint at Grand Valley.  ;)
How did AU suddenly become Moore's Valhalla?
It would be interesting to know.

Pat Coleman

I figured there would be people who would want to go to Aurora just to play for a former NFL player. I suspect there are probably also people who trained at his speed clinic who already have a relationship with Beebe and might go to play for him under those circumstances. No idea why Cameron Moore made the decision, but those are two reasons why kids might end up at Aurora above and beyond the usual recruiting decisions.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

wally_wabash

Quote from: AndOne on July 31, 2019, 05:01:54 PM
First of all, Rhythm, Cameron Moore was recruited out of high school by D2 Grand Valley State, at which he was unable to play.
He then, somewhat sensibly, transferred to a largely successful D3 program at NCC. Next year, he'll play for a slightly less well known D3 program at Aurora, Moore's third school in three years.
Why would he leave a program in which he was successful for a program at a less well known and regarded, both football-wise, and academically, school?

And, rather than just regaling us with a blurb that Beebe "recruited" Moore away from NCC, why don't you enlighten us as to exactly how this phenomenon occurred. Did Moore just suddenly call Coach Beebe, out of the blue, and express a desire to play for him at Aurora? Exactly when and how in his "recruitment" was contact with Mr. Moore initiated??
You know, he could have gone to Aurora either right out of high school, or following his stint at Grand Valley.  ;)

I think Cameron Moore- and every other student athlete-  is entitled to enroll at whatever school he or she can be admitted to regardless of who called who first or who called who when. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

MUC57

Quote from: wally_wabash on August 01, 2019, 10:32:43 AM
Quote from: AndOne on July 31, 2019, 05:01:54 PM

I think Cameron Moore- and every other student athlete-  is entitled to enroll at whatever school he or she can be admitted to regardless of who called who first or who called who when.

You nailed it, Wally! +K
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

AndOne

Wally & MUC,

I agree 100% that a student-athlete is entitled to enroll at any school to which they can qualify academically. Freedom of choice, right?
However, I'm sure that you will agree that in cases involving a transfer, as opposed to a kid being recruited straight out of HS, that there are certain rules the school doing the "recruiting" has to play by.
Whether we like it or not, the NCAA feels who called/contacted who first or who called/contacted who when is important. That's why they have rules against a school calling or contacting a student-athlete or his family when that student is already attending a different school. Before the student who is playing at school A can be contacted by school B, he first has to inform his current coach/school of his desire/intent to transfer. I'm not sure if he has to name the other school or not, but there is definitely a set routine that has to be followed and a form that has to be signed. Once that's done, school B is free to make contact, and the kid is free to go wherever, as you stated, he can be admitted. The assurance the rules were followed is all I'm looking for.

I'm pretty sure that you would want those rules followed if a kid was playing for Wabash or Mt. Union. I doubt you would be real happy if another school first called or contacted a kid, or one of his family members, playing at your school before your student-athlete informed his coach/school of his desire to transfer and gave his approval for contact by the other school.

As Pat said, it's completely understandable if a kid wants to play for a former pro, especially if he has had some type of previous relationship with the man. However, in this case, Rhythm21 makes it sound like Coach Beebe just swooped in and plucked Cam Moore right out from under NCC's nose with no regard for any of the established rules concerning transfers. What he describes is a situation that could be construed as poaching/tampering by the NCAA. I doubt that was the case. But because of how the situation was described by Rhythm21, it would be nice to have the assurance the rules were followed. That's all. I think you would want that same assurance in the case of a Wabash or Mt. Union player.  :)

MUC57

AndOne

You also make excellent points! +K for you. Not a simple issue!  ::)
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

AndOne

No sir. Not a simple issue by any means.
Thank you.

Rhythm21

Just posting this so everyone knows what AndOne's original opinion was before all the cries of "recruiting violation." A prominent player (already at NCC) chose AU over NCC, most likely in part to Don Beebe being the head coach.

Again, according to me: "The amazing news is, with the name recognition and pedigree, Don Beebe is going to be able to sit across from top IL recruits' living rooms and compete with the likes of North Central, Illinois Wesleyan, etc. Excited to see where my alma mater can go from here with Don Beebe at the helm!"
According to AndOne: "With all due respect to AU, I sincerely doubt whether they will present much of a challenge recruiting wise when competing for kids also considering NCC, IWU, etc., Don Beebe or not."

Just accept your opinion was wrong and move on, AndOne. It's almost football season! No use crying over spilled recruits . . . to Don Beebe at AU  ;)
AU Black and Blue